Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Quatro Freewave and Goya Freewave 2018

Created by RichardG > 9 months ago, 6 Jul 2017
RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
6 Jul 2017 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Specs follow of the Goya and Quatro Freewave thruster boards for discussion/input/review.

I simply put this out there for consideration discussion and input from anyone who has tested or ridden these anywhere in the world.

I have not included the Goya Custom Surfwave Pro Quad and Goya Custom Surfwave Pro Thruster, the Quatro Super Mini Thruster, Quatro Mono Powerwave Single and the new line Quatro Pyramid and Quatro Cube pure wave lines which are also in the line up(s) of these sister brands.Goya and Quatro offer a lot of choice and it is a bit like ordering a custom board.

I quite like the Quatro Power Pro Freewave Thruster 105 etc as an all around blasting "freewave" one board concept for Perth summer conditions. It has good range sail wise and would suit me at the weight of 94 kg.

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
6 Jul 2017 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Then again, an alternative would be the Goya One Pro Freewave Thruster 106 with squash tail. (cp.Diamond Tail on Quatro Freewave)

uweh
311 posts
6 Jul 2017 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for this topic ! the 105 quatro power has a really wide tail compared to the 116 goya one...

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
6 Jul 2017 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..
thanks for this topic ! the 105 quatro power has a really wide tail compared to the 116 goya one...

The Quatro Power is a shorter board than the Goya One 106 (or its bigger sister the 116) so naturally it can be wider in the tail, bearing in mind the Power appears to have a more parallel outline. I believe, the tail width is measured at one foot off the tail or more (can't remember..the exact rules on this..) and the diamond tail presumably creates a way to narrow the tail to the tip with its edges, as opposed to the squash tail of the Goya One 106 as a diamond has more edges and becomes narrower at the end and so can hold more tail width off the tail than a squash, I assume. I am not a shaper so let me know if you think this is wrong.

Big Al
WA, 264 posts
6 Jul 2017 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

I bought a Goya One 105L as my light wind board for WA and it's now my favourite board hands down. Being 80kgs I thought it would just be a match with a 5.7m & be a light wind plodder as it seemed a bit fat width wise. Totally wrong, it's a beast of a board on every count. Don't get too hung up on dimensions, tail widths etc - you jump on the board and it's like an old friend...it's just a beaut on every count. Jibes, jumps, streaks upwind and leaves quads in your wake. It does turn differently to a quad on a wave choosing to find lines rail to rail rather than the vert whip nature of a quad.
Lent it to my Bro who's 100kg on a 4.7m day at Metts and he had a blast - I was cringing as he boosted repeatedly but it took his punishment.....and wanted more.
I run 18, 21 & 23cm centre fin depending on sail/wind/wave conditions and keep the 11cm sides on all 3. MFC are killer fins - all items on the Goya are quality to be honest. It looks brand new and it took a beating.
If it got stolen I'd go get another straight away.

AB......

AlexF
494 posts
6 Jul 2017 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Big Al said..
I bought a Goya One 105L as my light wind board for WA and it's now my favourite board hands down. Being 80kgs I thought it would just be a match with a 5.7m & be a light wind plodder as it seemed a bit fat width wise. Totally wrong, it's a beast of a board on every count. Don't get too hung up on dimensions, tail widths etc - you jump on the board and it's like an old friend...it's just a beaut on every count. Jibes, jumps, streaks upwind and leaves quads in your wake. It does turn differently to a quad on a wave choosing to find lines rail to rail rather than the vert whip nature of a quad.
Lent it to my Bro who's 100kg on a 4.7m day at Metts and he had a blast - I was cringing as he boosted repeatedly but it took his punishment.....and wanted more.
I run 18, 21 & 23cm centre fin depending on sail/wind/wave conditions and keep the 11cm sides on all 3. MFC are killer fins - all items on the Goya are quality to be honest. It looks brand new and it took a beating.

AB......

Your talking the 2014/15 Board, 65 wide?
I had this too and can confirm what you've written. My recent Quad 116 let's me ride more vertical despite being a bigger board. But the Quads lacks a little punch and glide for Freewave use on flatwater, especially with an underpowerded 6.9 sail (18,5 K4 Rocket twins). Only alternaitve in the 2018 lineup would be the 116 One for me, but how's that in the waves?

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
6 Jul 2017 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Quatro 2018 General Board Design Concept - YouTube

Keith Teboul explains why a diamond tail can be wider than a squash but have less area.

Big Al
WA, 264 posts
7 Jul 2017 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

Big Al said..

AB......

Your talking the 2014/15 Board, 65 wide?
I had this too and can confirm what you've written. My recent Quad 116 let's me ride more vertical despite being a bigger board. But the Quads lacks a little punch and glide for Freewave use on flatwater, especially with an underpowerded 6.9 sail (18,5 K4 Rocket twins). Only alternaitve in the 2018 lineup would be the 116 One for me, but how's that in the waves?

Yep Alex, mine is a 2015. I have a mate with a 2017 115L and it seems to have more of a boxy deck around the mast track than mine but very similar tail (drawn pin), it certainly looks like it can carry a plus 6m rig with ease. 2018 looks to have a swallow tail which I reckon looks mint. My mate who's 100kg tears around with a 6.5m Gator on his 115 like a madman - I guess the use of a longer fin on the One gives you more initial lift than a quad can. The board certainly goes upwind as well as a quad but to me it seems easier as the windward rail lifts nicely (probably foot/fin pressure) & is not bogging as much as a quad does (or seems to for me).
Regarding wave riding i tend to use the board in light winds or small cross/on slop. Have had it at Lano mainbreak in 14/18kts 3/4 mast and it was awesome, felt super secure going rail to rail on the bombers which was a stoke (and terrifying). Waves were a bit fat so it kept speed & float perfectly - I survived so thumbs up on that.
2ft cross on (typical Perth conditions) is soooo much fun with this board as you can boost, pop & slash a bit whereas a quad in those conditions is just a fish out of water imo.
Richard, if you are in Perth then talk to Mark at Surf Sail as he has both Goya & Quatro - he's really helpful.

AB...

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
8 Jul 2017 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
8 Jul 2017 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Big Al said..

Richard, if you are in Perth then talk to Mark at Surf Sail as he has both Goya & Quatro - he's really helpful.

AB...

AB, Thanks I appreciate your comments and have done. Cheers Richard

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
14 Jul 2017 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hoping someone is going to post a test of the new Goya One Pro and Quatro Power Pro boards. So far we have got Franscisco's explanation of the philosophy behind the right in the middle model, the Goya Custom Pro Surfwave Thruster.

Which is shown in the brochure below.

It would be great to ride all three. Maybe someone somewhere somehow is riding them all now ! Can that person please post their thoughts.

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
19 Jul 2017 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Goya One Pro Freewave Thruster 2018

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Quatro Freewave and Goya Freewave 2018" started by RichardG