Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

RRD Twin Tip 2010

Created by jermaldan > 9 months ago, 26 Dec 2010
jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
26 Dec 2010 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone got this board? If so what is it like what did it set u back and was it worth it.

I have my heart set on the 109l.

Why are they not so popular here, you only see them on the european vids but hardly anyone in australia has em?

Personally I think that its one of the sexiest looking boards around!

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
26 Dec 2010 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Speak to Jez at 2ndwind in Perth, he is the importer.

I just got an RRD FSW 96 which looks the goods but my busted ribs have kept me off it. Next weekend maybe, I hope.

I am very impressed with the finish of the RRD it is excellent.

swoosh
QLD, 1927 posts
26 Dec 2010 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/New-Toys-its-windy/?SearchTerms=rrd

check that thread.

I don't think there are any dealers who support the RRD gear over here on the east coast which is why we don't see much of them around. I think the twintip comes in a twinser version as well which would be pretty cool to try.

windgeorge
WA, 108 posts
26 Dec 2010 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Shq are dealers in melb ask paul

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
27 Dec 2010 1:02AM
Thumbs Up

Mr Love - do you have a ballpark cost for the RRD FSW that you bought?

I am guessing nearly 2K, but thats based on the USD cost that i saw on a US site.

Anyone ridden these, I know that they look smart but whats the verdict on the water? What do they compete against the fanatic skate?

Rosobot
VIC, 384 posts
27 Dec 2010 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

I have two RRD freestyle waves and they are great! I tried several other boards but liked the RRD's best. I have owned three over the years and all have been awesome. Although they do have a habit of going slightly soft.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
27 Dec 2010 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

I'll have to give Paul a call at SHQ and ask what these go for.

I saw a site in the US that sell em for $1960 USD. It's probably another 20% more here in Australia.

Do you think that the board is worth the $2400?

GusTee
NSW, 262 posts
27 Dec 2010 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Rosobot said...

Although they do have a habit of going slightly soft.

Rosobot, how long would you expect it to last? - Say based on 6hrs use per week?

Rosobot
VIC, 384 posts
28 Dec 2010 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

My 85 is still going strong and is a year old (and no signs of going soft) The 95/96 can't remember is older (two years) and is soft. This board has been sailed loads and I would expect it to be getting tired.

I still think the RRD's are the best production boards I have ever owned. Might be worth trying to get other owners comments.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
28 Dec 2010 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

I got quoted around 2800 for the twin tip at SHQ.

Need to save those pennies :(

Sloth
WA, 36 posts
30 Dec 2010 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

Jermaldan

There is a vid in the general section of Matthew and Sean in Safety Bay on the Twinzer version of this board. The vid isn't the best as they were way underpowered, but they both rate the boards highly and the boards do look special.

I know 2nd wind have at least one 109 in stock as I am thinking of getting one for myself. RRP is $2450.

Here is a pic of Matthew enjoying his.

JEZ
WA, 395 posts
30 Dec 2010 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Sloth is correct.

RRD is only available from 2ndwind, and the price mentioned is inclusive of delivery in Australia.
Sorry that there are no demo boards over East, but if you catch up with Mr Love or Sean O'Brien you should be able to scam a ride.... (Sorry boys!!)

Jez

windgeorge
WA, 108 posts
30 Dec 2010 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

so you cant buy a rrd from shq then ? jez

JEZ
WA, 395 posts
31 Dec 2010 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

That's right Windgeorge.

There were a couple of the '09/'10 boards that went over East, & as you know, to Geraldton, but, as authorised Importers, all RRD boards since '10/'11 have come through us.

Cheers.
Jez

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
31 Dec 2010 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

So anyone else that sells these new would be an unauthorized importer?

What does that mean exactly?

JEZ
WA, 395 posts
31 Dec 2010 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Authorised Distributor I would have thought that was self explanatory
see link below

http://www.roberto.riccidesigns.com/equipment/index.php/distributors.

Whilst you're tapping keys, check out this link to 2011 X-Fire pics...

www.windsurfing44.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2743&sid=fae8ad7c2112428c4eedfbc4fa30f7f7&start=15

Cheers.
Jez

windgeorge
WA, 108 posts
1 Jan 2011 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Who cares were comes from just buy it you be unhappy ,rrd are the upper class of windsurfing boards ,like mistral were in the 80,S. sO Pick up phone and card and do it

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
1 Jan 2011 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Jermaldon, I have a brand spanking Freestyle Wave 96 you are welcome to take for a spin anytime. Will give a good idea of what RRD boards are like.
My injury has kept me off it but I am hopeful of a sail tommorrow if the wind is in. Most likely at North Ricketts but could go elsewhere.

If I don't think I am up for a sail yet ( still pretty tender) I am happy for you to take it for a spin anyway. Give me a PM and we can set something up.

Regards Martin

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
4 Jan 2011 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

mr love said...

Jermaldon, I have a brand spanking Freestyle Wave 96 you are welcome to take for a spin anytime. Will give a good idea of what RRD boards are like.
My injury has kept me off it but I am hopeful of a sail tommorrow if the wind is in. Most likely at North Ricketts but could go elsewhere.

If I don't think I am up for a sail yet ( still pretty tender) I am happy for you to take it for a spin anyway. Give me a PM and we can set something up.

Regards Martin

Thanks Martin, as much as I am tempted by your most generous offer I have never ridden anything below 114 litres, (an that was a stretch for me in flat water). I wouldn't be able to trust myself with your new baby. Not at this stage;)

*Sigh*

Gonewindsurfing247
WA, 966 posts
5 Jan 2011 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Here is the video Sloth refers to above:

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"RRD Twin Tip 2010" started by jermaldan