Re: 2020 cutouts in Slalom Boards

Created by tonyk > 9 months ago, 17 Jul 2019
tonyk
QLD, 540 posts
17 Jul 2019 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

I'm just curious as i haven't been back sailing long
In regard to slalom boards
For those keen followers and seasoned pros of history and trends.
My Question: what's the call for 2020 model rear cutouts
Will they be increasing or decreasing size and depth ?
Just thowing this out there to give me something to read over winter :-)

LeeD
3939 posts
17 Jul 2019 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Like hemlines on skirts, they change to create a new look for the buyer.
Each company trying to "improve" on the previous year. Nobody knows the future.

forceten
1312 posts
17 Jul 2019 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

War and Peace is a good option for winter reading, option most Stephen Kings books.

Tardy
5005 posts
18 Jul 2019 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

And then there's the difference in shape ,
Patrik models are different to Starboard .
some of the early Patriks had inserts so you could change the depth of the cut outs
it was to either get the nose down and level it out or in rough stuff ,i left mine out, so i could get the nose up .
and adjust it with foot pressure .
2020 who knows ,i don't ,it defiantly make the boards faster ..

tonyk
QLD, 540 posts
18 Jul 2019 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
some of the early Patriks had inserts so you could change the depth of the cut outs
it was to either get the nose down and level it out or in rough stuff ,i left mine out, so i could get the nose up .

Wow be interested to see pics of how the Patrick removable inserts work.
Were they held in with Clips? Screws?
Anyone got some images

elmo
WA, 8723 posts
18 Jul 2019 6:04AM
Thumbs Up

^Just look at the old F2 SX catalogues from 2007-2010

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
18 Jul 2019 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyk said..

Tardy said..

Anyone got some images

Tony the inserts in the Patrik slalom boards are simply held in by two screws on each side. I've sailed my Patrik boards (100 / 115 / 128) with them in and out but really can't tell any difference. That said, I'm generally too busy having fun to really concentrate on the subtle differences. Guess I should play with them a bit more one day...

Tony Polony
NSW, 338 posts
18 Jul 2019 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Tony here's the cutouts and plates for the 128 Patrik Slalom VII.

tonyk
QLD, 540 posts
18 Jul 2019 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tony Wills said..
Tony here's the cutouts and plates for the 128 Patrik Slalom VII.

Cheers Tony
Yeah i put a pair in my F106
Hard to test back to back in current seasonal wind conditions but based on the fact i sail flat water
I expect to leave them in mostly

Tardy
5005 posts
18 Jul 2019 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

I took mine out on my 115 , I buried the nose one day and **** myself, it was a rough day , took em out and the nose came up enough to clear , mines a 2014-15 , I don't think they've continued them with the new ones , it also gybed a little different ,I think in flat water you could trim it for more speed,I had the extra plastic spacers in too, that made it higher off the board too..

tonyk
QLD, 540 posts
18 Jul 2019 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
I took mine out on my 115 , I buried the nose one day and **** myself, it was a rough day , took em out and the nose came up enough to clear , mines a 2014-15 , I don't think they've continued them with the new ones , it also gybed a little different ,I think in flat water you could trim it for more speed,I had the extra plastic spacers in too, that made it higher off the board too..

Yeah i wouldn't run the inserts in open water chop. These boards are purpose made for exactly that. PWA flat out ,over powered, open water

duzzi
1052 posts
18 Jul 2019 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyk said..

Tardy said..

Anyone got some images

Just Screws. I had a Patrik Slalom 100 and I frankly thought that the removable inserts where necessary to correct the cut outs that were monstrous 3 cm deep holes. I think as a consequence despite being 64.5 wide the Patrick and 100L for my weight (70 Kg) the board had very bad low end and was very tricky on a jibe, loosing power easily. Of course this might have been less of a factor if the board were sailed completely maxed out, but if sailed just powered to overpowered reducing the depth with the inserts was obviously beneficial to transitions and pick up.

Which takes me a point: I am not so sure cut out are that important unless you are a PWA sailor. Even there the trend seems to be to have very shallow cut outs, Starboard and RRD have been down to 1 cm or so for a few years.

LeeD
3939 posts
19 Jul 2019 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

As said, fashion changes for us and some designers might actually believe their changes are good for one season. Then they change it again.

duzzi
1052 posts
23 Jul 2019 3:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyk said..

Anyone got some images

Here is without and then with the plates. Looks a bit campy frankly ...

Tardy
5005 posts
23 Jul 2019 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Exocet have a simular set up for 2020

Tardy
5005 posts
24 Jul 2019 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyk said..

Tardy said..

Yeah i wouldn't run the inserts in open water chop. These boards are purpose made for exactly that. PWA flat out ,over powered, open water

your right Tony ,they seem to come to life when you get really powered up ,or over powered .i had to really slow it down after a speed run for a gybe
it wanted to keep winding out ...i got a nice 33 knots this day ..my no cam sail run out of steam ..,I'M just switching back to cams now .

lefthanders
WA, 24 posts
5 Aug 2019 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

A few cutouts on the future fly boards

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
5 Aug 2019 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lefthanders said..
A few cutouts on the future fly boards

Kind of reminds me of Michael Peterson's fangtail.

LeeD
3939 posts
5 Aug 2019 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

What comes around go around.
Tem Berkstesser Berky in early 90's.

Tardy
5005 posts
6 Aug 2019 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

more interesting is the rail cut outs ,makes it nicer to gybe .which starboard and patrik have adapted of recent times ,

the tail cut out seem to give better top end for sure ,and feels more light under the feet
my 2014 100 litre exocet how ever doesn't have cut out s ,but still very quick ,but feels heavy on the rear foot
so i have to counteract buy using smaller fins ,with the slightly pointed tail its a pleaser to gybe , carrying the speed right through .

these are 2014-15 boards ,changes have been make on these models of late.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Re: 2020 cutouts in Slalom Boards" started by tonyk