Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

S1 Pro 2019 to S1 std 2020

Created by southsea > 9 months ago, 11 Mar 2020
southsea
31 posts
11 Mar 2020 1:19AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone who used to sail the recent S1 Pro's tried the current S1 standards and if so how do they compare?
As they claim to now be the same shape I wondered if they feel a lot closer than the previous years which felt very different. I like the lightweight of the S1 pro's but what I liked most was the feel and range which were awesome for a 4 batten sail. Interested to know if its the shape rather than the material which delivers the feel. thx

Basher
535 posts
11 Mar 2020 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

The 2020 S1 pros still aren't readily available, although I've seen some.
The standard 2020 S1s are nothing like the 2019 pro versions, or even like the 2019 standard versions. They now have a more open leech at the head. They are built to be light, so the weight saving over the pros can't be much.

I have a whole set of the standard 2020 S1s and I like them. Basically they are powerful sails for onshore conditions, giving plenty of grunt and drive along the wave face.
And for a more neutral sail from cross to cross off conditions try the standard 2020 Blades.

seabreezer
377 posts
11 Mar 2020 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

surprised to hear s1 2019 different shaping to 2020 ...

RuaraidhK257
70 posts
11 Mar 2020 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Basher said..
The standard 2020 S1s are nothing like the 2019 pro versions, or even like the 2019 standard versions. They now have a more open leech at the head. They are built to be light, so the weight saving over the pros can't be much.

I have a whole set of the standard 2020 S1s and I like them. Basically they are powerful sails for onshore conditions, giving plenty of grunt and drive along the wave face.
And for a more neutral sail from cross to cross off conditions try the standard 2020 Blades.

Really? I thought that it was the opposite; that S1s were the neutral waveriding sails and blades were the super grunty onshore power sails. That's really interesting to know, actually! :D

Basher
535 posts
11 Mar 2020 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RuaraidhK257 said..

Basher said..

Really? I thought that it was the opposite; that S1s were the neutral waveriding sails and blades were the super grunty onshore power sails. That's really interesting to know, actually! :D

The Standard Blades are very neutral and have a great top end.
But the Blade pros are Koster's signature sails, and are cut fuller and are much more gutsy for onshore conditions.

RuaraidhK257
70 posts
12 Mar 2020 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Basher said..

RuaraidhK257 said..

Basher said..

The Standard Blades are very neutral and have a great top end.
But the Blade pros are Koster's signature sails, and are cut fuller and are much more gutsy for onshore conditions.

Ahhhhh.

Well, interested to hear how the S1 Pro compares with the blade pro and regular s1

Relapse
VIC, 583 posts
12 Mar 2020 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

I had a go on my mates 5.3m 2020 Blade Pro the other day, really impressed. I was on my 4.8m '17 S1 Pro that day and the Blade was a lot more stable and locked in but way less grunty than I was expecting. Didn't get over powered and handled the gusts really well.

I tried a 2015 Blade a few years back and it pulled like a truck! New ones seem a lot more refined and power comes on progressively.

I also had a go of a 4.7m Redback in similar conditions and was very impressed, a super light and comfortable sail. Power is a bit lower down than the S1 which makes sense for the target market but at 70kg and 178cm it worked just fine for me. Boom was on the clew's bottom hole so could have moved it up too.

Snapfigure
130 posts
15 Mar 2020 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Relapse said..
I had a go on my mates 5.3m 2020 Blade Pro the other day, really impressed. I was on my 4.8m '17 S1 Pro that day and the Blade was a lot more stable and locked in but way less grunty than I was expecting. Didn't get over powered and handled the gusts really well.

I tried a 2015 Blade a few years back and it pulled like a truck! New ones seem a lot more refined and power comes on progressively.

The new blade pro (got 5.7 5.3) is not such a grunty power sail ---fully agree---- that someones expects ( i wish it was) from a Koster's signature sails,

Manawa
135 posts
16 Mar 2020 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Some week ago I've tested a new S1 pro 4.4 2020 against my old S1 pro 4.4 2019 and a 4.4 Blade 2020.
The S1 pro 2020 is more powerful than my 4.4 pro 2019, more stable in profile under strong gusts, with an amazing and superb early planning. But I find my S1 pro 4.4 2019 softer, definitely softer feeling sail.
Blade 2020 is another superb sails, soft, powerfull, super stable, with an impressive top end speed. Extreme ease rigging, you can't go wrong it's always good , Tuned or untuned the blade is always very nice. You will only need a long extension with this 4.5 Blade 2020.
We could not test these sails in real waves because the conditions were stormy, we were in the water with the 3.6 S1 pro 2018 overpowered.

Now we are in Red Area due to Cov19 and I don't kow when I will can go on the water all is forbidden

seabreezer
377 posts
17 Mar 2020 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

wow - you sailed the new glued s1 Manawa ? ....

sorry to hear your in lockdown - cant you swing by the beach on way to the supermarket .... ;-) ? .... best self isolation place at moment is on the water .... !

Manawa
135 posts
17 Mar 2020 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
wow - you sailed the new glued s1 Manawa ? ....

sorry to hear your in lockdown - cant you swing by the beach on way to the supermarket .... ;-) ? .... best self isolation place at moment is on the water .... !

Yes I sailed S1 pro 2020 in B&J conditions, I came back on the beach and tray again my old S1 pro 4.4 2019 and then again the new S1 pro 4.4 2020. I've try also in strong wind and big wave side off but was too stormy and I switch down in my 3.6 S1 pro 2018 (that was also big).
Early planning, and stability in strong wind are superb, super balanced and hiper light in the hands, rigged on Rdm Severne mast BLU, good and easy rotation of the batten is real better compared to my old S1 pro 2019, A technologically advanced product seems to have an America's cup sail in hand. I would like to remind that it is also very very good the normal S1 2020.

Now in Italy all is forbidden you can't go on the water you must stay at home if you need some advice I can open a dedicated topic.

seabreezer
377 posts
17 Mar 2020 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

I was reminded how good the older s1 pro membrane was last week - even with a 90% mast (used to use the 100% but snapped it) ...

Also absolutely love the 2019 s1 standard 4.4 I have ----- rigged almost touching the boom (156 boom when spec 157 ) the sail has an 'inflate' soooo fwd pulling in that dacron luff pocket - that side and side off riding its felt insane .... really really love it ....

seabreezer
377 posts
17 Mar 2020 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

I suppose another way to look at carbon s1 , if its as you say so stable under load - is that its 4 batten version of blade pro .... (as blade pro has all the attributes you describe )

I wonder what wet weight would be like as no conventional seams ... vs wet weight s1 standard

These will be hard to get hold of (as maybe with all sails 2021 etc ) with c19 outbreak

Manawa
135 posts
17 Mar 2020 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
I suppose another way to look at carbon s1 , if its as you say so stable under load - is that its 4 batten version of blade pro .... (as blade pro has all the attributes you describe )

I wonder what wet weight would be like as no conventional seams ... vs wet weight s1 standard

These will be hard to get hold of (as maybe with all sails 2021 etc ) with c19 outbreak

I total agree with you, I really love membrana I really love the feeling with my S1 pro 4.4 2019, in my first impression obviously I can be wrong I only used it once, use carbon fusion, to make a comparison is a bit like rigged the red mast on the 2019 sail instead of the blue mast you know is different... let's not forget that this S1 pro 2020 is truly reactive, alive as never before in our sport.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"S1 Pro 2019 to S1 std 2020" started by southsea