Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Speed SS125L

Created by olskool > 9 months ago, 20 Mar 2017
olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
20 Mar 2017 3:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, its archive time. Ive got an old Speed SS 125L. Anybody know the weight? Just checking if ive got any water in board?

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
3 Apr 2017 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

I'll give ya $50 for the mast track!

Actually, I think I still have the original Brochure around home somewhere. May have the specs on it.

But I am serious about the track. PM me.

BSN101
WA, 2294 posts
4 Apr 2017 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

How heavy is it now? That could give some clues

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
6 Apr 2017 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
How heavy is it now? That could give some clues

So weight with straps is 9.8kg. Guess thats about where it should be? I used to sail one of these boards ok back in the day. Finding it hard to master with no sailing for 25yrs & another 20kg onboard. Im 110kg.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
6 Apr 2017 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Does it have US fin box? They are a vulnerable weak point. Had a couple of them roll out of the board.

They can also be the site of leaks.

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
6 Apr 2017 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
Does it have US fin box? They are a vulnerable weak point. Had a couple of them roll out of the board.

Yep, US box. Had some minor chips where fin pin sits in box. So just had new box installed n few chine splits epoxied. Board is quick but a PITA to get going. Constantly wants to point high to windward no matter where mast track is positioned. Seems ive always got too much back foot pressure.

John340
QLD, 3137 posts
6 Apr 2017 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..

sailquik said..

Yep, US box. Had some minor chips where fin pin sits in box. So just had new box installed n few chine splits epoxied. Board is quick but a PITA to get going. Constantly wants to point high to windward no matter where mast track is positioned. Seems ive always got too much back foot pressure.

The rounding up sounds like a foot placement error, not mast base position error. Only move your feet back, either the front or back (depending on your preference), as you get onto the plane. If you move too early, you sink the tail of the board, slow down and head upwind. The narrow thin tail of the Speed 125 exacerbates the problem. When you feel enough pressure in the sail, steer downwind and pump your sail as you transition onto the plane, then move your feet to the footstraps.

olskool
QLD, 2446 posts
6 Apr 2017 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Ok, so mast track usually in middle position. Beach starting no problemo. Waterstarting seems near impossible.As soon as back foot touches board between straps the board heads up.I tried having Board further off the wind to counter rounding up seems it has to be so far off the wind that im in catapult city every waterstart. Fun the first few times, but tiring against the chop n current.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
6 Apr 2017 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Ok, so mast track usually in middle position. Beach starting no problemo. Waterstarting seems near impossible.As soon as back foot touches board between straps the board heads up.I tried having Board further off the wind to counter rounding up seems it has to be so far off the wind that im in catapult city every waterstart. Fun the first few times, but tiring against the chop n current.

Those symtoms are universal and largely completely independent of the board design.

As as you come in board, you need to keep the feet well forward between the straps (it sound like you have that right) ??

Keep pressure on the mast foot. To do this, keep your body low and more weight on the boom. Swing your weight slightly forward. A balance between foot pressure and weight on the boom is how you steer the board and stop that rounding up.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Speed SS125L" started by olskool