Starboard 2017

Created by shinobi > 9 months ago, 16 Jul 2016
vando
QLD, 3416 posts
20 Aug 2016 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said..
I know its not 2017 - but from my few weeks of testing the 2014 carbon 97.....

Not that impressed with it with a 6.6 m and 38 G10 Volt.

My i87 with the 6.6 is faster for peak speed.

However,with a 7.0m and a Chris Lockwood 42 carbon fin - it gets planing way better. The big fin is the reason as I also tried this fin with the 6.6.

Upwind is amazing in comparison with the smaller fin. The bigger fin actually holds the board down better in the gusts too.

Downside,its harder on the legs.

Wow 42 that's a massive fin for that board, Biggest I use a was a 36 with my 7m.
Always loved the 97 but these days i jump from my 110 to the 90 just 2 slaloms .
I do have a new 107 coming though

elmo
WA, 8732 posts
21 Aug 2016 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said..

However,with a 7.0m and a Chris Lockwood 42 carbon fin - it gets planing way better. The big fin is the reason as I also tried this fin with the 6.6.

Upwind is amazing in comparison with the smaller fin. The bigger fin actually holds the board down better in the gusts too.

For relevance perhaps better posted here
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/Starboard-iSonic-2014/?page=3

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
21 Aug 2016 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

42 with a 7.0 on the 97 is ridiculous. Also 38 for the 6.6 is too big. I use the recommended fin to sail size and the 97 works perfectly. 6.2/34cm Volt 2 and 36cm Volt 2 for the 7.0. Oh yeah this is meant to be a 2017 discussion not 14.

dave.h
WA, 193 posts
21 Aug 2016 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
elmo said..

petermac33 said..

For relevance perhaps better posted here
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/Starboard-iSonic-2014/?page=3

Hogar
66 posts
22 Aug 2016 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shinobi said...
Tail size went quite a abit for the big boards:
127 55.1 ==> 59.5 +4.2cm
137 58.0 ==> 61.1 +3.1cm
It should not only the light wind performance but aso the business of the FIN manufacturers, because many people will have to change their fin size up for at least 1cm or 2cm

Is this overall width OFO or only of the wet surface (without cut-offs)?

mark62
500 posts
22 Aug 2016 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

I asked Remi V the same question on last years isonics and he said its the overall OFO :)

Hogar
66 posts
25 Aug 2016 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mark62 said...
I asked Remi V the same question on last years isonics and he said its the overall OFO :)

In this case width only of the wet surface will be more important data because this determines fin size

Hogar
66 posts
26 Aug 2016 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shinobi said...
Tail size went quite a abit for the big boards:
127 55.1 ==> 59.5 +4.2cm
137 58.0 ==> 61.1 +3.1cm
It should not only the light wind performance but aso the business of the FIN manufacturers, because many people will have to change their fin size up for at least 1cm or 2cm

Any data about OFO width of the other sizes?

MrFish
160 posts
4 Sep 2016 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
From the website :

The iSonic Slalom and Race Slalom models come with the next iteration of our Drake UltraLight footstraps. Based on team rider feedback, the iSonic Speed models are delivered with our Drake Slick straps that are slightly less comfortable but more responsive and stiffer for more control in high winds and choppy conditions.

Yeah....sure whatever you say ! Seems the pro endorse them...
Let's see what the *board riders were using at Fuerte (high winds and choppy enough ?)

Gonzalo

Mateo

Tristan

Kurosh

I have the 2016 isonic 87 with the new light weight straps And yes they are super light. I don't find any issue with board control but have changed the front ones back to the 2013 style as I couldn't stop the front ones from twisting when jibing no matter how hard I do the screws up.
Did notice a few of the pros running the same mixed strap setup too so I'm so "pro" now

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
6 Sep 2016 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

2017 Web sites up

star-board-windsurfing.com/

Hogar
66 posts
7 Sep 2016 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Back to the basics with nice round tails on new isonics. Finally they will find that the second cutouts are completely unnecessary like on Fanatics

mark62
500 posts
9 Sep 2016 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

A lucky Dutch guy has these :)

TwanVerseput
1 posts
11 Sep 2016 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Those are mine haha!
Sailed the 137 now two times, board is little bit different. Stance is little bit more relaxed compared to last year, find especially that the back foot has to put in a little bit les pressure on the fin. Also the board feels a little bit more lively underneeth your feet than last years 134, still loads of control( sailed it one time in 16kn and 1m high waves and had no problem with the handling of the board with a 9.7 on it). Only thing is that i had to use a little bit more fin for my 9.7.. Could sail 45.5 and 46 last year where the 2017 i have to use a 47/48 fin.

My height 201 cm and weight 96 kg. Hope to sail the 107 and speed 55 this week

scottydog
230 posts
16 Sep 2016 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

See the 2017 Phantom 377 video uses clips from one of my vids, was kinda surprising when I saw the vid as I was thinking damn that looks familiar! Wonder if they'll send me a free sticker of something!

elmo
WA, 8732 posts
16 Sep 2016 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scottydog said..

See the 2017 Phantom 377 video uses clips from one of my vids, was kinda surprising when I saw the vid as I was thinking damn that looks familiar! Wonder if they'll send me a free sticker of something!

Perhaps they'll send you a new board as payment for use of your video (with/without permission??)

scottydog
230 posts
17 Sep 2016 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
elmo said..

scottydog said..

Perhaps they'll send you a new board as payment for use of your video (with/without permission??)

Ha ha would be nice, the colouring on the new boards is pretty sweet, been thinking of getting a Isonic 107. I liked the look of the 2016 models more though over the 2017's personally.

BSN101
WA, 2294 posts
17 Sep 2016 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scottydog said..

I thought it looked unusual...

Not the new Starboard, with a Severne sail & NP boom. Obviously couldn't have been a team sailor.

With all of your videos that you post for us to drool at, you are a true ambassador to the RB!

PS we want more footage

scottydog
230 posts
17 Sep 2016 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

PS we want more footage

Ha ha yeah will try, thanks!! Go through moments of inspiration then nothing. Put up the IMCO one and also another I didn't make but of a group trip to do wave sailing at Punta San Carlos in Mexico which was fun.

I'm just doing a vid of a speed session from some months back, was good fun so will post when done!

Also have some paddleboard stuff and kiting stuff. I got an invite to go on a kite trip to Brazil in November, but to be honest kinda bored of it... maybe if I bought new kites might help, but probably not!

BSN101
WA, 2294 posts
17 Sep 2016 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scottydog said..

BSN101 said..

PS we want more footage

Ha ha yeah will try, thanks!! Go through moments of inspiration then nothing. Put up the IMCO one and also another I didn't make but of a group trip to do wave sailing at Punta San Carlos in Mexico which was fun.

I'm just doing a vid of a speed session from some months back, was good fun so will post when done!

Also have some paddleboard stuff and kiting stuff. I got an invite to go on a kite trip to Brazil in November, but to be honest kinda bored of it... maybe if I bought new kites might help, but probably not!

Come over to Busselton with the (new team sailor) Phantom and show us how to sail.

Ive never had a head for editing so your work is great.
Ive hours or footage and a feature that I want to make but need to just sit down and start.. one day sigh!

scottydog
230 posts
17 Sep 2016 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

I might have some new footage on the phantom Sunday. They are having a Bart's Bash in honor of the lost Artemis sailor. The race is a long distance one through the islands, but because of the likely wind direction will be basically up and downwind. Was originally thinking to use a slalom board or free formula as will be up against lots of moths, but the wind direction and lots of islands makes the longboard the more sensible choice, though the free formula will probably be quicker (but brutal) pumping and fighting through the shifty wind shadowed islands!

So tomorrow will dust off the phantom and try find my booties!

BSN101
WA, 2294 posts
17 Sep 2016 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scottydog said..
I might have some new footage on the phantom Sunday. They are having a Bart's Bash in honor of the lost Artemis sailor. The race is a long distance one through the islands, but because of the likely wind direction will be basically up and downwind. Was originally thinking to use a slalom board or free formula as will be up against lots of moths, but the wind direction and lots of islands makes the longboard the more sensible choice, though the free formula will probably be quicker (but brutal) pumping and fighting through the shifty wind shadowed islands!

So tomorrow will dust off the phantom and try find my booties!

great . I hope to have favorable winds here too. Bring on summer

scottydog
230 posts
20 Sep 2016 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Did the race, just two of us on windsurfers. Was hard work, down then upwind. Will make a vid of the experience from the GoPro footage. A couple pics on these links.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153928048301593&set=a.10153928047286593.1073741915.544681592&type=3&theater

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153928053301593&set=a.10153928047286593.1073741915.544681592&type=3&theater

mark62
500 posts
3 Oct 2016 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Found this on the iS107 & 97 Hybrid carbon 2017 on windsurfing33.com written French ThierryP. Its translated so read weird, but you'll get the general feeling. It does sound like the Hybrid carbon has retained the user friendly character of the wood construction (a bonus for me).

iS107 & iS97 Hybrid carbon 2017 first impressions:

Not much wind in Noumea right now, but we still enjoyed a northwestern day (rare orientation, but gives a sublime water) and one of Southeast day (s the usual orientation of the trade winds), which allowed me to draw some edges with iSonic 107 and 97, 2017.
in both cases, there were not many people on the water (it was in week ), so no way to do extensive testing comparing with other funboardeurs.

I was very disappointed that stops Starboard wood construction, and so I had to take the Carbon Hybrid, a priori cheaper and more comfortable as Carbon Reflex, but I did not think they could be as comfortable as those in Wood.

I can not find the decor as beautiful as the 2016 Wood (for me, the finest boards ever made), but they still very pretty, and very close Carbone 2016. the first thing that jumps out is obviously the disappearance rear V: it is now all round; having never been a fan of the back of the 2015 and 2016 models (plus 90, 2014, which was the first to "benefit" from the back), I am totally delighted. As they are soon out floats at Cobra, mine do not benefit from the latest developments straps "Ultra-light" more comfortable than the version that my team boards. What you should know is that these straps should be adjusted to the millimeter (precisely what allows them setting mode), and from there, they are not uncomfortable; Obviously, they are not "Pullman" as neoprene straps, but I find that the weight gain and the fact to never put wet straps in the cover, justify this slight loss of comfort.
The inserts for the screws fins have been modified and is now super easy to mount the straps on the float, without stressing you could screw it through and ruin the inserts.
on the hull, the kinks are less pronounced than previous vintages . Obviously, one can visualize it all, and get the main dimensions, on the site of Starboard.

Well, the presentations have been made, it is time to draw some edges to garner first impressions.

First navigation in 107: in MauiSails TR -2016 7.0 m. with proto DRE 38cm (tapered end and flexible, no lift, more slides) in a NW wind 16 to 18 knots in Anse Vata, the lagoon of Ilot Maitre, and in the channel between the two; smooth body of water of the lagoon and in the Anse Vata, small swell and orderly in the channel. Mast foot: approx. 1/2 cm behind the center of the screen printing
with the back rounded, planing is much faster than the 2016 model (and even more compared to 2015), with respect to comfort, it is at least equal to that of the Wood construction, or even slightly better: a big relief! I spend behind a large trawler, which completely disrupts the water, and float remains super easy to control, it does not bounce all over the place. It seems to have won the Cape, but the unusual wind direction will be not allow me absolutely certain. The jibe is easier, the best recovery they were the goals sought by returning to a rounded back, and therefore, objectives achieved. No opportunity to test the V-max, it will be for next time.

Second navigation: MauiSails in TR-2016 7.7 m. in SE trade winds 16 to 18 knots, first in 107 equipped with a downwind slalom Drake 36 cm, and the increasing wind late in the session, I could take 4 long edges with 97, equipped a Drake Slalom Downwind of 34 cm. Navigation area: Anse Vata + channel, water level much less smooth than NO, the swell in the channel was very disorganized and we had choppy in Anse Vata. Mast a few mm before the center of the screen printing for the first two edges; the float was beating a little, and accelerations were a little soft, so I moved the PdM about 1 cm towards the rear, and it was much better: the float no longer banging on the chop, and accelerations were . much more frank
This second navigation confirmed the impressions of the first: very comfortable the two floats, always feel that the course has improved, starting at much faster planing (even more obvious on the 97). The 97 supports very well a 7.7 (as the 2016, but infinitely better than the 2015 and previous vintages). The two floats are air, the feel of water is very nice. It really is not out of place compared to iSonic previous years, if not we find again an excellent early planing. Again, not really tested the V-max, but the impression it is similar to that of 2016.

In summary, a generation in 2017 in line with the previous versions, with many small improvements, and significant progress in planing, jibing, and revival.

Steve1001
QLD, 241 posts
7 Oct 2016 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

New 107 arrived

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
19 Oct 2016 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

I used the carbon 2014 97 yesterday in 10-17 knots,averaging 14 knots according to SB.

With a 7.6m race sail and 42 Lockwood fin I was on the plane instantly.

Was planing in 11-12 knots!

This board for a lightweight can be used as a light wlnd board.

John was on his new 2016 75cm wide Fanatic 121 with his 7.8m and 45 fin.

Surprising then I was a quarter of the way across the river before he was planing

I was swapping over boards with my 115 Tabou Manta / 44 fin and overall the sonic was performing better,upwind performance was similar.

Very versatile size that 97. With a 6.6m and smaller fin it can smoke in 20-25 knots.

Not sure I need my 87 or 115 anymore!

The 97 has much more of that short board feel to it compared to the 107.

The 97 feels for my 70kg to be a large short board. The 107 feels like a small big board.

col5555
WA, 378 posts
19 Oct 2016 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

If anyone has a 2017 Futura 107, I would like to see some pics from the same angle as steve1001 photos just to compare thickness,rail shape etc etc

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
19 Oct 2016 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Pics Steve, can you put some comparisons 2016 vs 17 when you have a sail. Board looks sweeeet.....

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
19 Oct 2016 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
col5555 said..
If anyone has a 2017 Futura 107, I would like to see some pics from the same angle as steve1001 photos just to compare thickness,rail shape etc etc

Simon from Boardcrazy had the FU90 on the water the other day very nice looking board.
Not sure if he has a 107 he can take some photos of.

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
24 Oct 2016 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Was on my 2104 97 carbon today in 12-18 knots with a 6.6m.

Thought I'd try my 34cm Techtronic Maui F1 Falcon fin on the 97 for the first time.

Previously tried it with my 87 Sonic with a 5.5m and hated it!

Today however with the sail rigged with only moderate downhaul on a bigger board it felt pretty awesome!

Crazy smooth with a very neutral trim.

It trimmed the board a bit like the new G10 Vector Volt fins but with an even softer feel.

The wide base of this fin sort of holds the board down while the soft mid and tip section produces that free ride board feel..

Looking forward to trying this fin out in 20-25 knots with my 97 and 6.6 - the added smoothness and very neutral trim should work great in the stronger conditions.

Owners of the new 90 litre Sonic - reckon the 32 and 34 sizes could be a perfect match with sails around the 6.3 to 7m range.

Sparky
WA, 1121 posts
24 Oct 2016 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petermac33 said..
Was on my 2104 97 carbon today in 12-18 knots with a 6.6m.

Thought I'd try my 34cm Techtronic Maui F1 Falcon fin on the 97 for the first time.

Previously tried it with my 87 Sonic with a 5.5m and hated it!

Today however with the sail rigged with only moderate downhaul on a bigger board it felt pretty awesome!

Crazy smooth with a very neutral trim.

It trimmed the board a bit like the new G10 Vector Volt fins but with an even softer feel.

The wide base of this fin sort of holds the board down while the soft mid and tip section produces that free ride board feel..

Looking forward to trying this fin out in 20-25 knots with my 97 and 6.6 - the added smoothness and very neutral trim should work great in the stronger conditions.

Owners of the new 90 litre Sonic - reckon the 32 and 34 sizes could be a perfect match with sails around the 6.3 to 7m range.

I know the release dates are getting earlier and earlier, but 2104 is out already? That's ridiculous!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Starboard 2017" started by shinobi