Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

aluminium vs carbon mast extension

Created by sonny2727 > 9 months ago, 16 Aug 2014
sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
16 Aug 2014 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a long skinny extension like 48cm. Wonder whether there's real practical difference between carbon and aluminium. should the weight difference matter because its at the bottom and compare dto overall rig after dumped in water? more importantly which is more reliable? Are we putting too much emphasis on carbon and get caught up in marketing hype.

thanks

sonny

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
16 Aug 2014 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Aluminum will bend, Carbon won't....Get carbon.

Beaglebuddy
1595 posts
16 Aug 2014 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think they go alu that long, usually that size is carbon. Carbon will break and alu will bend, but I think under the same stress the alu would bend before the carbon would break. Also for far offshore adventures alu would probably be the choice because you could sail back no problem with a bent extension but a broken carbon extension would be a real problem.
I think the primary reason they make carbon extensions is not for weight savings if there is any but for strength especially in long ones.
The man who runs Chinook told me that a skinny carbon extension is stronger than a standard diameter carbon extension.

Rob11
240 posts
16 Aug 2014 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Alu will bend and carbon will snap.
With on you'll be able to make it back to shore with the other one you will swim...

sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
16 Aug 2014 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting that what works in booms doesn't work for extensions. If carbon snap and alu bend why alu booms break so much? What we don't know is the probability of carbon extension snapping ... Does it happen as often as a boom snapping or is it too infrequent to worry abou. Also I read somewhere carbon extension is better because it bends with the mast curve ...looks like this ones urban myth...thanks lot for all the comments I'm leaning towards 38cm skinny aluminium as a start...

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
16 Aug 2014 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jh2703 said..

Carbon won't bend, Carbon will snap.

Easy to sail back to the beach with a bend extension.

mkseven
QLD, 2314 posts
16 Aug 2014 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sonny2727 said..
Interesting that what works in booms doesn't work for extensions. If carbon snap and alu bend why alu booms break so much? What we don't know is the probability of carbon extension snapping ... Does it happen as often as a boom snapping or is it too infrequent to worry abou. Also I read somewhere carbon extension is better because it bends with the mast curve ...looks like this ones urban myth...thanks lot for all the comments I'm leaning towards 38cm skinny aluminium as a start...

Different load directions & extensions have thicker walls, booms can go very thin at the bends depending on the construction method.

Aside from corrosion booms get affected by load cycles, bend a piece of metal enough times & it fatigues then breaks.

Both carbon & alu extensions will bend slightly, the carbon is less likely to keep memory. Where carbon suffers is the pin holes don't hold up as well as alu or if ring & collar it wears.

I've had both carbon & alloy, they've all pretty much functioned the same, some of the early prolimit ring & collar alu ones would die pretty quick if went over 20cm, don't know if they changed that. I have carbon I rarely use, north alloy I use every other day on my race sails up to about 26cm (this is a bit light, wouldn't use it at full extension on race sail) & north shox rdm I use on my wavesails. The strongest by far imo is the north shox rdm, you can use that thing as a club to take out hoards of kitesurfers if you need to.

Mark _australia
WA, 22387 posts
16 Aug 2014 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

jh2703 said..

Carbon won't bend, Carbon will snap.
Easy to sail back to the beach with a bend extension.

But not really valid if it takes 10x the force to make a carbon one fail....

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
16 Aug 2014 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Ali WILL bend, Carbon might snap.

No alloy at 48 is a good idea, unless you like a nice curve in your extension

McSmurfin
85 posts
16 Aug 2014 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Seen ali bend and snap and carbon snap so everything can break of course. At that much extension the carbon should be the way to go

pepe47
WA, 1381 posts
16 Aug 2014 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

I think your mast would be in about 5 pieces before the mast base broke.

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
16 Aug 2014 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

But not really valid if it takes 10x the force to make a carbon one fail....

maybe in a lab... from what I have heard from various shops that figure seems to vary wildly between different manufacturers.

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
16 Aug 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pepe47 said..

Not necessarily. If you are on a wide wave board with a big sail and very long extension you will get quite a bit of force in the extension area. The edge of the board seems to act as a very good leverage. I have definitely seen some skinny extensions snap or being bend before the mast even blinked.

pepe47
WA, 1381 posts
16 Aug 2014 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

pepe47 said..

Not necessarily. If you are on a wide wave board with a big sail and very long extension you will get quite a bit of force in the extension area. The edge of the board seems to act as a very good leverage. I have definitely seen some skinny extensions snap or being bend before the mast even blinked.

I think you're describing an extraodinary situation, whereas the correct mast should have been used. If you're going to use the wrong mast for a situation there will be risks involved. I believe, the shorter the extension, the less leverage placed around the base.

gavnwend
WA, 1366 posts
16 Aug 2014 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

If its any conciliation l have been using a chinook ali extension for the past 10 seasons (48cm) it has been through the mill even fallen out of my car it just wont give up its becoming sentimental in a sence no sign of any fatigue or stress creases the only thing l have replaced is the euro pin collar.so my answer to your Question alloy all the way

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
17 Aug 2014 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

Never used a carbon extension but I find the Arrows Aluminium extensions are the best by far

They have 4 runners for starters which helps with the downhaul.

They also line up better with the pulleys on the sail better than any other ext I have used. Another reason why they make downhauling a breeze.

Smaller adjustments make it easier to get the exact luff setting.

Only ever broken one,at the bottom where it meets the base of the ext,it just sheered off. Left two on the grass.

peguin
WA, 263 posts
17 Aug 2014 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

I run streamline carbon 46cm. Used it many times up to 42cm. My first lasted 2yrs in lots of wave & reef condition from 4m nuking to 5.7m light winds until a combination of SUP and waves in light winds.
SUP is a large surface and wave broken on top of it whilst me, sail etc were travelling up would and forward at pace. So alot of force.

Streamline importer reckoned first one he has had break. Gave me a decent discount for replacement. No dramas past 18months on replacement.

Regards breaking and swimming. It broke at 35cm mark so i just took out the top broken section and rigged the sail at 30cm. Bit baggy but sailed in no dramas. Still use the extension for 4m sail as its at minmum extension. Once you pick up a carbon long ext and compare weight to alloy you will want the carbon on. big weight difference.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
17 Aug 2014 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Have you look at a mast extender??Its just a short piece of mast that is added, and simply means you have a longer mast a not a longer extension.

There are reasons why using heaps of extension isn't good.
- they have way more load, when used at full length.
- often it affects how your sail rigs.

check it out.
I've used one for slalom rigs, works a treat.

http://www.north-windsurf.com/eng/nodes/display/product/carbon-xtenderbroke://www.neilpryde.com/rigs/extension/x-tender.html

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
17 Aug 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jh2703 said..

carbon snaps clean in half, aluminium bends

true story

JonesySail
QLD, 1083 posts
18 Aug 2014 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Owned Carbon rdm extensions for many years now, was nervous initially as they are so light and kind of don't really give you the impressions that they would be bomb proof, (still think that about my carbon new carbon boom, but it has already proven it's bomb proofness to me!)

Only ever moved one carbon extension on and that was a 'cheap' brand carbon and it was only the cleats and rollers that let it down, the Ali ones tend to get cancer a bit I find over time and get eaten away so slowly.. probably more superficial looks that structure though.

Have an older Chinook and now also a Streamlined...the latter is incredibly light, weighs nothing.

Hard to imagine one breaking or snapping, but I guess anything is possible.

I hate wrapping up a product here, as it always seems to jinx me/product, next session!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"aluminium vs carbon mast extension" started by sonny2727