Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

iSonic 97 2017

Created by ElXa > 9 months ago, 5 Apr 2020
ElXa
2 posts
5 Apr 2020 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone,

First of all thank you for the opportunity to join you!
I'm a newcomer in this forum and I'm writing from Portugal.

I'm looking for some feedbacks concerning the iSonic 97 l from 2017 in terms of feelings and performances but most of all in terms of resistance.
I once had an iSonic and the board was very light but fragile and inserts were weak too...
the model I'm interested in is the Reflex carbon.

Anybody could tell me something about this board!?!

thank you a lot for your help and again for your welcoming!

tonyk
QLD, 544 posts
5 Apr 2020 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there

There's a Isonic 2017 / 107 for sale on Seabreeze Australian adverts right at the moment

Check this advert out if you have access

It might give you an insight into the durability of that model

ElXa
2 posts
5 Apr 2020 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyk said..
Hi there

There's a Isonic 2017 / 107 for sale on Seabreeze Australian adverts right at the moment

Check this advert out if you have access

It might give you an insight into the durability of that model

Hi,

very nice of you , I will !

thank you very much and have a good week!

Ben1973
960 posts
6 Apr 2020 5:41AM
Thumbs Up

That pic looks like the deck of my 2017 ultra sonic, it was great for ages but now a new crack appears every time I use it.

LeeD
3939 posts
6 Apr 2020 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

If you want to make the Isonic strong, it becomes a Futura.
High end race gear is fragile and fast.

Subsonic
WA, 3125 posts
6 Apr 2020 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
If you want to make the Isonic strong, it becomes a Futura.
High end race gear is fragile and fast.

Yep, for once i agree with you Lee. If you're looking at buying an isonic, you're buying a slalom board. They re-enforce it where required, and nowhere else. the isonics are no more fragile than any other slalom board on the market.

I have the exact same board as the one in the pics (107/ 2017 isonic) which i bought in 2018. Its my go to board for a range of conditions and has seen more than its fair share of days on the water. It has two repaired dings in it. one was caused by a collision at a gybe mark. the other was caused by me being a stupid fool whilst derigging. There's no sign of any spontaneous failure. No offence to Colin, but the dings in that board are rider inflicted.

so far as how they ride, 2017 they put more vee through the bottom, which makes them a fair bit more forgiving than previous isonics (ive owned previous models as well) i find i can generally ride it in higher wind strengths/choppier conditions than previous models.

Kazza
TAS, 2342 posts
7 Apr 2020 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2017, 97 iSonic and had not trouble with it what so ever. I'm finding the 2017 models the toughest compared to earlier model iSonics.
Absolutely love mine!! It's a perfect size for slalom racing, keeps you planning around the bouys. It still feels like a small slalom board even though it's getting close to a 100 litre board, yet it's big enough for light winds as well. It's my light wind board as I'm 63 kg's and use it mainly with a 7.0 (that's my biggest sail).

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"iSonic 97 2017" started by ElXa