CannonBall Run 2021

Created by WsurfingSA > 9 months ago, 11 Nov 2021
WsurfingSA
SA, 391 posts
11 Nov 2021 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Henley to Semaphore Race
Race from Henley to Semaphore.
This is ~8 km direct line and expected to take 30 - 60 mins, depending on the conditions.
When: Green SW'ly arrows on Seabreeze during the holding period & consensus amongst organisers
BOM Adelaide Metro Waters forecast for 15 - 20 knots in the afternoon (minimum).
Holding Period: These weekend afternoons:
13th/14th November
20th/21st November
27th/28th November
18th/19th December
Dates to fit around our other events
Called: based on the forecast around noon on Friday - here at this post
Registration - Marlborough St, Henley Beach, from 2:30 pm
Briefing - 3:00 pm - you need to be at the event briefing to participate in the event
Car Shuffle - Organisers will leave transport at Semaphore ready for the car shuttle.
If you have a buddy coming then organise to leave a car at Semaphore
Eligibility - competent wind surfers who can water start, gybe and plane comfortably in choppy conditions.
Comfortable sailing for 1 h in changing conditions, mainly on a broad reach
Equipment - Floater board, PFD and mobile phone in waterproof case recommended
Event entry fee - free for WindSurfingSA members. Join online at
windsurfingsa.org.au/
Craft: Windsurfers, Windsurf Foilers and Wing Dingers.

RobMac
SA, 90 posts
11 Nov 2021 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Yeeeeeow

asdmuzak
SA, 278 posts
11 Nov 2021 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Um this sunday could be quite the event.

WsurfingSA
SA, 391 posts
12 Nov 2021 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Not this weekend - waiting for more sea-breezy conditions

WsurfingSA
SA, 391 posts
19 Nov 2021 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Not this weekend either... holding for more favourable conditions

WsurfingSA
SA, 391 posts
26 Nov 2021 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Not this weekend either
If we don't get the forecast on the 18/19th we're discussing extending the holding period into January

WsurfingSA
SA, 391 posts
17 Dec 2021 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

The Event is on! This Sunday 19th. See details at the start of the thread. Hope to see you there!

asdmuzak
SA, 278 posts
17 Dec 2021 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Has tim haselgrove got what it takes to make it all the way to Semaphore, i don't think so.
Does dean ryles?? I doubt it!
Does Michael kain, maybe?

Chinny Oz
SA, 114 posts
18 Dec 2021 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

Forecast looks good.
Could be a record time. I think we did about 17 minutes the first year using 6 metre sails and we may be on smaller kit than that on Sunday. Possibly not the slalom gear. Hopefully it will entice more participants for a bit of fun. I encourage any Adelaide windsurfers to give it a crack. Let's make it a big event.
Bring the Go Pros!!!

Chinny Oz
SA, 114 posts
18 Dec 2021 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

1360 views......does that mean we are gonna have Defi Wind number of sailors this year??

Dr Duck
SA, 450 posts
18 Dec 2021 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Gonna be a good one. See you all there, the more the merrier!

jn1
2454 posts
18 Dec 2021 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

I would like to enter tomorrow, but remember parking was limited on Marlborough St and Esplanade Rd during the 1st events I attended. I was going to enter with a mate, but he may not be able to attend now. We were going to repack our gears into 1 car at Sems and head to Henley.

Is this what other people are doing ?. If so, could I join you ?. If so, give me a PM and we'll swap details. My gear plan is: 2 x boards, 2 x sails, 2 x booms.

Happy to have my car one of the return cars.

Thanks

jn1
2454 posts
18 Dec 2021 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Sorted out. See you all there.

soto
SA, 23 posts
18 Dec 2021 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be there for my first (and last ) CannonBall Run.
My 6.3 is ready to hit the water

WsurfingSA
SA, 391 posts
19 Dec 2021 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to everyone that participated and helped with this event

Here are the results:
1. Mark T
2. Tim H
3. Ian R
4. Olivier T
5. Richard U
6. Andy G
7. Jorn V
8. James T
9. Rob M
10. Dave P
11. Josh
12. Jason N
Safe - Stan
Safe - Juan
Safe - Chris

Strong wind with lots of west in it allowed the fastest sailors to record quickest times (13 mins TBC) yet.

soto
SA, 23 posts
19 Dec 2021 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Really a nice race. Thanks you guys for the organisation.
20kts SW. RRD X-Fire 98 and S2 Maui Venom 6.3
Though conditions on the water with a massive chop (and waves). I led the race until the last hundred meters. I let the door open for Mark... and when I tried to correct my mistake, I lost the wind and fell. Weel done Mark (and all the others).
Some nice speeds very close to the other riders.
Max speed: 27.54kts
Nautic mile: 23.24kts
After the race, I decided to sail back to Henley Beach. It was a nice but hard ride...

gmitton
SA, 1429 posts
19 Dec 2021 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Great work guys. Awesome!

FishMints
SA, 147 posts
19 Dec 2021 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Cannonball Run 2021 Photos.

It was soo fast, I couldn't drive to the finish line fast enough to photograph the first 4 over the line!

If anyone wants higher resolution versions - send me a message and I can make them available.

Cheers Leo

jn1
2454 posts
19 Dec 2021 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks WSA. I look forward to the next one. Today was a battle of the riggers. Well done to Mark for this win. Special thanks to Fishmints for driving me to the starting spot, and helping me re-rig... plus his photos to come . Nice to see you again Soto.

My gear had a fight with the ocean 100m off shore from Chicken shop during the race (Lucky no damage to rig. I had to swim to shore to recover gear). I made a mental note to check my base tendon when I got home:

The left one is the original. About 5 years old I think. An easy life. The middle is the one used today. Note the crack (1 of 3). This tendon less than 12 months old. The replacement is on the right. I'm glad they make them in clear now. I would not have seen this damage if they were opaque.

RobMac
SA, 90 posts
19 Dec 2021 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Well done everyone it was a great race and a top day.

TAA
SA, 1156 posts
20 Dec 2021 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Well done crew...

Sorry I couldn't make it as I had a family Xmas show in the arvo

Dr Duck
SA, 450 posts
20 Dec 2021 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Great race! Thanks to James and all involved. Fantastic to see 15 sailors on the water!

Quite a different ball game with so much west in the wind. Mogul chop from all directions. It was nuts.

Congrats to Mark.

Here are my stats and track.

Chinny Oz
SA, 114 posts
21 Dec 2021 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Short edit from my GoPro mounted on boom. I tried to capture any action with sailors in the background. Sorry about the quality but if you look closely you can see most of the front runners falling in when we all gybed too early and ended up in a real dead patch of wind towards the end. Had to take another quick reach and then gybe back toward beach to get home with any speed.
Had a terrible start but once off the beach really picked up speed. Topped out at 27knots....not bad on a 95 litre Starboard Kode and a 5.6m Simmer Icon wave sail.

soto
SA, 23 posts
21 Dec 2021 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Nice video to remember the "good" conditions on the outside. I have reviewed the race in my brain several times. My 2 main mistakes: let the door open and then jibe too earlier to correct the first mistake.
You did well.

Chinny Oz
SA, 114 posts
22 Dec 2021 2:00AM
Thumbs Up

I can't believe you sailed back to Henley after the race and after a freesail at Sems. Great effort.

Dr Duck
SA, 450 posts
22 Dec 2021 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Well played Mark - great video. Looked like a good start to me . 27 k is real fast for those conditions.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   South Australia

"CannonBall Run 2021" started by WsurfingSA