Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

2014 Wavesailing Nationals - Phillip Island

Created by Al McLeod > 9 months ago, 28 Dec 2013
dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
28 Feb 2014 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Had a sick sail around the back beach. Was huuuuge. Couldn't see you and your stack hat anywhere Joel?????

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
28 Feb 2014 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

See below for event details for Registration, Forecast Summary & Pre-registration prize winners.

Registration will be open Saturday 1st March, 12-3pm & Sunday 10am-1pm. We will confirm when registration closes based on the forecast. Please register at the event house - 14 Sunnyside Ave, Cape Woolamai.

Alternatively register online using this link here - http://www.shq.com.au/products/2014-wavesailing-nationals-registration

Please make sure you have current AWA membership via your relevant state body.

Forecast Summary:
At this point the first day of possible competition will be Monday, with Wednesday looking very promising for nice conditions at Cat Bay.

So far the forecast is calling for S-SE Seabreeze on Saturday - there will be no official competition on Saturday but we may score a fun session at Woolamai if the wind tends more to the SE.

There is a solid long period swell arriving Saturday night that will light up all of the breaks around Phillip Island on Sunday. At this stage the wind looks fairly variable but we may get lucky with a seabreeze in the afternoon ? there is the possibility that Cat Bay will be sailable but otherwise the surf will be great.

Monday - we are considering moving the competition to the back up venue of Sandy Point on Monday afternoon if the wind is not strong enough to be contestable at Phillip Island. However the forecasts are now looking more promising so we may get some nice E-SE at Woolamai and kick off the competition.

Tuesday - looks like a surfing day, offshore with fun sized swell for the beach breaks.

Wednesday - a cold front is moving in along with a new swell, this should provide S-SW wind - perfect for Cat Bay. The tides are not super favourable so competition will be early morning before the water drops, and then after lunchtime as it fills back in. Make sure you stay updated on this.

Later in the week - the long range forecast is showing a strong SE pattern on Friday - this could potentially serve up epic Woolamai. Fingers crossed this develops and stay posted as the forecast develops.

Read up about the spots here:
windandsurffestival.com/location/

Pre-registration Winners:
Check out the video below to see if you won a prize from Flymount or K4 fins!

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
1 Mar 2014 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Ben Newson came over from WA early - he was rewarded with a fun session yesterday down at our back up location for the event - Sandy Point.

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
2 Mar 2014 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

Daily update

Registrations:
Registrations are open today until 3pm at 14 Sunnyside Ave, Cape Woolamai.
Last minute registrations tomorrow 9-11am at the same address. Registrations will be closed at 11am Monday March 3rd, to allow us time to finalise the draw - for all those thinking of competing please register by sending an SMS to 0400 483 760 and include your Name & Division (Open, Junior (under 18), Masters (35 +), Womens, you can enter two if you wish). You will need to complete paper work on arrival before hitting the water.

For those who may not be able to make the next few days, the forecast is looking very good for Friday and Saturday (7th & 8th). We would strongly encourage everyone to register now so you are at least in the draw and can still compete in the Double Elimination.

Today:
There is a nice groundswell building today that should offer good surf. We are having an Opening Social Night at Magic Lands Cafe & Bar (on Vista Pl, Cape Woolamai) from 7pm in the pool room. The food is good and the beers are cold. See you there!

Competition:
Competition is likely to start tomorrow with a move to Sandy Point to take advantage of the easterly wind acceleration there. We are expecting 15-20 knots cross off and 3-4 foot of swell. Likely to start heats is around 2-3pm. At this stage we would like everyone to be there at 1pm to prepare. Conditions are expected to serve up something like this.

Prizes:
We have got plenty of great prizes lined up from our sponsors, including this Goya 4.5m Guru from Core Boardsports. This sail will be won by one lucky amateur division sailor so make sure you register to be in the running!

Forecast update:
Tuesday - Surfing day.
Wednesday - looks like Cat Bay could be good although swell is slightly smaller than initially expected.
Thursday - Surfing day.
Friday - this could serve up seriously good conditions at Woolamai - logo high, cross off.
Saturday - probably similar to Friday.

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
3 Mar 2014 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Monday - 3rd March

Rego and the draw are about to be closed.

Today:
We are about to head down to Sandy Point. The cloud is burning off and the temperature is rising - looks promising for the Easterly breeze to kick in down there in a few hours.

Briefing will be at 1.15pm on the grass across the road from the shops where the Surf Lifesaving Club is.
The plan is to then go to Shallow Inlet to prepare to sail Long Arms across from the Inlet with first possible start of heats at 2.30 pm.

See you down there.

Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
4 Mar 2014 12:57AM
Thumbs Up

Photos please

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
4 Mar 2014 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Event update so far.

Sunday: A solid long range ground swell filled in across Phillip Island on Sunday, lighting up all the reefs in the Cat Bay region. Everyone got out and made the most of the awesome weather and great waves.

Monday: With no wind forecast at Phillip Island, the event was moved to the back up location Sandy Point. The warm temperatures, sunshine and easterly airflow provided all of the elements necessary to accelerate the cross-offshore wind. With waves anywhere between shoulder and logo high the conditions delivered for the first round of competition.
Photos thanks to Jodi at Whitecaps Photography.

We have completed the first round of Opens, Masters, Juniors and Amateur division and the results are now live here: http://windandsurffestival.com/results

Tuesday: Glassy, offshore conditions for most of the day saw all of the beach breaks firing across Phillip Island. Everyone made the most of the great surf, particularly at Woolamai. The sand banks are lined up nicely at the moment which could potentially provide us with epic windsurfing conditions later in the week when the wind swings back to the South East.

Pics by Ben Newson

Tomorrow:
Competition is set to resume tomorrow – briefing will be at 11.30am Right Point, Cat Bay. We are expecting 15-20 knots, cross to cross-offshore wind and waves around 2-3 ft.

Reflex Films
WA, 1445 posts
4 Mar 2014 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Pics look amazing!

Has anyone had any success displaying the results?
i get blanks - even on chrome..

Is anyone shooting any video of the event ?

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
4 Mar 2014 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Matt have you tried on your computer? Seems to work for everyone so far. Yep video will be on the way.

Z1291
208 posts
4 Mar 2014 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

I'm feeling very jealous right now...

bowsa
QLD, 602 posts
5 Mar 2014 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Looks bloody awesome

Steve411
QLD, 30 posts
5 Mar 2014 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

So miss the island! what a place!

stehsegler
WA, 3466 posts
5 Mar 2014 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

seeing the photos almost makes me want to move to Melbourne... if it just wasn't for the cold weather in winter.

mattruthven
WA, 24 posts
5 Mar 2014 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Sik spot looks unreal set up and awesome surfing .Frothing looking at the pics .wooooo froth on ??

P.C_simpson
NSW, 1489 posts
10 Mar 2014 1:01AM
Thumbs Up

So what are the results? I know who won and who came third, what about the rest?

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
10 Mar 2014 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
P.C_simpson said...
So what are the results? I know who won and who came third, what about the rest?

Everybody won on Saturday!

All heat Results are on the website(really well organised), link is on the first page

Finn0
NSW, 50 posts
10 Mar 2014 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Al, Hudson & all the Vico crew for putting on an epic nationals

Last day of comp was all-time pics will be amazing.

Good times good vibe sick spot. Fino

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
10 Mar 2014 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Saturday saw an epic conclusion to the event with sunshine, cross off wind around 20 knots and waves building to mast high in the afternoon. Results are:

Opens:
1st - Ben Severne
2nd - Stuey Martin
3rd - James McCarthy-Price

Masters:
1st - Shane Finigan
2nd - John Jacob
=3rd - Jonathon Bouillir
=3rd - Martin Batstone

Amateur:
1st - Martin Batstone
2nd - Sean Cleary
= 3rd - Harry Walker
= 3rd - Nic Walker

Junior
1st - Nic Walker
2nd - Lachie Bouillir
3rd - Harry Walker

Women
1st - Lisa Edlund-Tjernberg
2nd - Kym Symonds
3rd - Louise Bricknell
Here are a few of Jodi's pics of Saturday. There will be plenty more going up on the website and facebook page. Starting to work on the event video and event report so check back soon. I'm sure Col will also be posting some great stuff from the helicopter soon.

whyner
NSW, 762 posts
10 Mar 2014 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Unreal weekend, epic conditions, I'm glad I made the trek for the end of the week. That was the best wavesailing I've had for many years!

Relapse
VIC, 583 posts
10 Mar 2014 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Al and co for putting on what looks like an epic event! Can't wait to see the video and more photos. Flu kept me away, would have been there otherwise

ka222
VIC, 633 posts
11 Mar 2014 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Well done Huddo, Al, Shaun and everyone else involved! Well run event and we got some classic Vicco conditions - glad everyone got a chance to see what we score down here

Some of Jodie & Col's images coming out of Sunday arvo sessions are awesome, can't wait to see the footage

Congrats Ben & Stuey

HAIL
SA, 1160 posts
11 Mar 2014 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Had a awesome weekend even if I couldn't get wet. Very well orgainised and some epic conditions for sure. Amazing spot hidden down there.

Ben Severne
WA, 194 posts
11 Mar 2014 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Al and Hudson for all the effort you guys put in to the event. Good times.

I think the only question left to be answered is which state won? NSW as per usual? Or the home team?

batstonem
QLD, 170 posts
12 Mar 2014 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

ka222
VIC, 633 posts
12 Mar 2014 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ben Severne said..

Thanks Al and Hudson for all the effort you guys put in to the event. Good times.

I think the only question left to be answered is which state won? NSW as per usual? Or the home team?

How's that worked out? most guys in the finals or something? Should have a perpetual trophy for that!

Ben Severne
WA, 194 posts
12 Mar 2014 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ka222 said...
How's that worked out? most guys in the finals or something? Should have a perpetual trophy for that!

Pretty sure there is one. One Knot would know.

Troppo
WA, 887 posts
12 Mar 2014 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Doesn't nsw just keep it for the most nationals held at gerroa?

Finn0
NSW, 50 posts
13 Mar 2014 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Ok I'm taking off my Blues Guernsey and putting on Maroon one on this one.(lived last 10 years in QLD)

There is a perpetual Australian Wavsailing trophy, I've discussed with Wazza how it all works and it goes something
like this and is on the case to find trophy.

Weighted opens x2 being the top division
Opens: 1st - Ben Severne -WA -5 (opens X 2 ) WA 5+1X2=12
2nd - Stuey Martin -NSW-3 NSW 3X2=6
3rd - James McCarthy-Price -WA -1

Masters: 1st - Shane Finigan -QLD -5 QLD 5+0.5=5.5
2nd - John Jacob -VIC -3 VIC 3+0.5=3.5
=3rd - Jonathon Bouillir-VIC 0.5 =3rd - Martin Batstone -QLD- 0.5

Amateur: 1st - Martin Batstone -QLD -5 QLD 5+0.5+0.5=6
2nd - Sean Cleary -VIC -3 VIC =3
= 3rd - Harry Walker QLD -0.5 = 3rd - Nic Walker -QLD -0.5

Junior 1st - Nic Walker-QLD -5 QLD 5+1=6
2nd - Lachie Bouillir -VIC -3 VIC=3
3rd - Harry Walker -QLD-1

Women 1st - Lisa Edlund-Tjernberg -VIC-5 VIC 5+1=6
2nd - Kym Symonds -SA-3 SA=3
3rd - Louise Bricknell -VIC-1

1- QLD-5.5+6+6 =17.5
2- VIC-3.5+3+3+6=15.5
3- WA -12 =12
4- NSW -6 =6
5- SA -3 =3

Boris
261 posts
13 Mar 2014 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ShaneFinigan said..

Ok I'm taking off my Blues Guernsey and putting on Maroon one on this one.(lived last 10 years in QLD)

What a disgraceful attitude!

I went backpacking in North Korea for 10 years. Does that make me a mindless tool who worships some lame fat kid with a bad haircut? It may make me a Queenslander, but it doesn't make me North Korean!

I also spent 10 years in Long Bay Jail. Does that make me a big fan of wrestling with wet soapy men in the shower? It may make me a Queenslander, but it doesn't make me an Inmate!

I also went....

...hang on....now I see your point.
Scratch that thought.

Well done QLD!!

NSWWA
NSW, 323 posts
13 Mar 2014 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty sure if you're register to an organisation, your score counts towards that state (such as woopi nationals where oli represented NSW), so we're going to claim Finno (even if he doesn't want to claim us).

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"2014 Wavesailing Nationals - Phillip Island" started by Al McLeod