29 Oct 2019 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

It's Pumping.
8ft Offshore

oldmic
NSW, 348 posts
29 Oct 2019 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

the rock carnage would be expensive. looks so light on the inside.

stehsegler
WA, 3464 posts
29 Oct 2019 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Commentators could be a bit better prepared though. Half the stuff they talk about is inside jokes and stories no one can relate to... the rest seems very unprepared random thoughts not really adding to what's already shown on camera.

Basher
535 posts
29 Oct 2019 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

They finished the men's single elimination but may have too little wind to finish a double.

As it stands, Koster is PWA world wave champion with Browne second, Campello third and Victor Fernandez fourth.
TT is fifth I think and Antoine Martin could be the new Aloha Classic champion, with the win here today bringing him up to 6th in the 2019 PWA rankings.

But, hahah, my maths may be wrong and there may yet be a double elimination.

oldmic
NSW, 348 posts
29 Oct 2019 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Conditions at the end were so light. Looked like they had <5m sails and <80 Ltr Boards? In 10' conditions.
Incredible day of sailing. Between the HIC Event at Sunset and the Aloha Challenge not been to productive today.

philn
802 posts
29 Oct 2019 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Cheech and Chong were hilarious on the commentary...if you were as high as they were.

Manuel7
1258 posts
29 Oct 2019 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

What an incredible day of sailing! Admiring them... really impressed.

Crappy but huge waves and zero wind, real conditions!!!
I was glad to see Koester sailing well, incredible performance from Lenny, Roediger, Martin, Juban, etc.

Insane hits, aerials, 360s, brutal wipeouts and recoveries.

seabreezer
377 posts
29 Oct 2019 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Amazing day ....

Firstly - think Antoine Martin THOROUGHLY deserved that win - 2018 Aloha he looked THE man on fire in the semi finals - but then missed out to Camille in the final - so this time he peaked at the right moment - and pushed through 1 round better .... Amazing hit also on that kinked section ...

All the usual suspects didnt really fire up .... looked a mixed bag of waves , and if someone were lucky to be in position to pick off the 4th wave of the set - they prospered much more than all the other chopped up mogel faces that even longtime locals were getting tricked into ... think thats what really got to the likes of braw / siver / campello etc ... Campello just looked 'off' today - nowhere near his usual relaxed crazy antics - the world title is CLEARLY getting to him year after year after losing it 2018 because he couldnt find a single sodding remaining jump wave to do a basic jump he could do in his sleep - poor dude - he is due some world title fame ...

Standouts also - Leon Jamer !!! wtf - after sailing that well in his last heat and STILL going out ... shows how tough it is to crunch through against the likes of lenny / martin ... he had couple of epic powder snow turns in his last heat and had a way better heat than campello , and was just wrong heat wrong time unfortunate not to get better than 5th place . Kai Lenny .... unreal bottom turn style and hacks ... And Camille Juban one of ths hits of the contest - full mast+ almost vert smack a standout moment ... (cant remember what score he got but I would have given him a 9.5 for the hit alone )

And Bernd with his 10 - could only be a 10 - the flow of those 3 moves was incredible .... Never looked like he was 'looking' for a stand alone stand out move like alot of riders look like when trying to force something new school in competition , he just aired perfect timed into perfect gouge timed into perfect flowed goiter - unreal flow and rhythm ... for sure a 10 , and his style just looks so uniquely fricken sick !

What a treat , windsurfing the best sport EVER

And Love the commentary also - well done Kai and guests - give them a break - they keep it interesting and sit in the booth all day long keeping the smile and energy and love for the sport - and good read on swell directions / chop effects etc ... though do agree for sure they have some interesting insights that I don't always agree with - but hey - they keep it fun ... (would you rather someone drone on in monotone making everyone fall asleep ?) ... Ben P would be good in there alongside .....

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
29 Oct 2019 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Amazing what happens to PWA wave sailing results when you add actual wave riding in waves of consequence ??

Basher
535 posts
29 Oct 2019 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Basher said..
They finished the men's single elimination but may have too little wind to finish a double.

As it stands, Koster is PWA world wave champion with Browne second, Campello third and Victor Fernandez fourth.
TT is fifth I think and Antoine Martin could be the new Aloha Classic champion, with the win here today bringing him up to 6th in the 2019 PWA rankings.

But, hahah, my maths may be wrong and there may yet be a double elimination.

I added up the figures wrong for Antoine Martin.
A win gets him 10000 points meaning if it stays like this he has 26564 points for the year.
That puts him in 4th place in the rankings, and not 6th as i wrote above.
So with no double elimination, the rankings for 2019 would be Koster 1st, Browne 2nd, Campello 3rd, Martin 4th, Fernandez 5th, Traversa 6th.

But let's hope they get some wind so we see more amazing heats!

Manuel7
1258 posts
29 Oct 2019 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

Really appreciated the commentary as well! Great work :)

NordRoi
633 posts
30 Oct 2019 2:50AM
Thumbs Up

The funniest...comment was when Kai commented that Kevin Pritchard improved soooo much when he switched to Goya board... KP always ride custom done by the same guys...regardless the brand he rides...that's quite a big little lies...lol

shadow
WA, 86 posts
30 Oct 2019 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone explain how the single / double elimination format works? What happened to a simple knockout competition?

philn
802 posts
30 Oct 2019 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Would love to see Ben Proffit in the commenting both.

Manuel7
1258 posts
31 Oct 2019 1:35AM
Thumbs Up

To me, it's quite complicated but explained somewhere on the web.

In short, the way I understand is that a select group of riders compete against each other (not open to everyone).
Then, a ranking is established via level reached and points scored.

In the double, more people can participate and the ranking is used for seeding the draw.
The single elimination winner only competes in the double elimination final!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament

I may have totally screwed this up, in Slalom, I'm completely lost!

NordRoi
633 posts
31 Oct 2019 2:20AM
Thumbs Up

Double elimination means, you have to be beated twice to be eliminated. So the winner of round one will still be in final and the contender of the second elimination will need to beat him twice, because in first elimination he never been eliminated.

Those eliminated first if first elimination will will run first in the second elimination and of course vice versa.

So look at this table you will understand more:
www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?id=38&tx_pwaevent_pi1%5BshowUid%5D=292&cHash=cc058d18cbcc3264d63d7f813c1a2a19

Gonewindsurfing247
WA, 966 posts
31 Oct 2019 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

northy1
434 posts
1 Nov 2019 2:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NordRoi said..
The funniest...comment was when Kai commented that Kevin Pritchard improved soooo much when he switched to Goya board... KP always ride custom done by the same guys...regardless the brand he rides...that's quite a big little lies...lol

Hehe - Goya Thruster graphics with Quad fins!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"Aloha Classic 2019 - Live stream" started by HotBodMon