Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

RRD 2005 hardcorewave

Created by SHEETIN > 9 months ago, 5 Oct 2016
SHEETIN
291 posts
5 Oct 2016 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Hi people,

I have been trying to find either a new(very long shot) or second hand RRD 2005 Hardcore wave boards in a medium size.
I have the size small already and love it.

Ive tried the new shapes for many years but really im feeling that the manufactures have lost their way. I dont think new boards are performing especially when wave riding on choppy wave faces and your trying to crank a nice bottom turn. What I have found is the old shapes have narrower pin tails that can handle the chopped up waves and you can consistently carve a bottom turn.

PM me if you where I can find one.

Cheers

Zed
WA, 1243 posts
5 Oct 2016 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 76l and 90l Wave cult contest and just love the boards. They are very highly regarded. Maybe if you don't like the new RRDs have a look at other manufacturers, 2005 is pretty old, lot of design changes since then.

william
WA, 178 posts
5 Oct 2016 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Have you tried starboard quads? They have a square tail however very pinny shape and more length.

Nevs
SA, 28 posts
5 Oct 2016 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Dam shame Cain,

I wished you'd thought of this 12 months ago as I had that exact board you're after.
Same colour and everything sold it local but cant remember the guy's name.
would have given it to you for nothing too.
Cheers Nev

SHEETIN
291 posts
5 Oct 2016 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Yes Ive used and owned many of the latest design over the last 10 years and the 17 years prior I had custom shapes. Quads have never floated my boat and mostly are way heavier due to the extra construction.

The Nuevo twinnies are the closest thing to perfection in wave riding but suffer in the chop and big waves.... you just never feel 100% on that bottom turn in those condition.
But everytime the wind gets up to 30kts plus and wave start to become messier the RDD rips, never fails or skips laying down a bottom turn.

SHEETIN
291 posts
5 Oct 2016 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nifty nev said..
Dam shame Cain,

I wished you'd thought of this 12 months ago as I had that exact board you're after.
Same colour and everything sold it local but cant remember the guy's name.
would have given it to you for nothing too.
Cheers Nev

Isn't that always the way!!!

whyner
NSW, 762 posts
5 Oct 2016 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SHEETIN said...
Hi people,

I have been trying to find either a new(very long shot) or second hand RRD 2005 Hardcore wave boards in a medium size.
I have the size small already and love it.

Ive tried the new shapes for many years but really im feeling that the manufactures have lost their way. I dont think new boards are performing especially when wave riding on choppy wave faces and your trying to crank a nice bottom turn. What I have found is the old shapes have narrower pin tails that can handle the chopped up waves and you can consistently carve a bottom turn.

PM me if you where I can find one.

Cheers

Totally agree but using fanatic instead of other brands.

I have found last years fanatic trifin, used as a single fin is very close in performance as the old boards. I use it as a trifin until the waves become decent then chuck my old trusty single fin in and it instantly transforms into something that can hold the rail on the bottom turn.

Maybe other brand trifins might be the same. Not sure.

SHEETIN
291 posts
5 Oct 2016 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

If nothing surfaces over the next few months ill be probably on a tri/thruster, next year. Cos i agree that its the closest ill get to what im after in the new shapes.

Zed
WA, 1243 posts
5 Oct 2016 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

My 76l is only 6kg. And my 92l is so maneuverable. I bought that before I got my 76l and would sail that in all weather, had it out in margs in 25kts and mast high waves, considering I'm only 75kg I was blown away at how well it handled for a big board. I was sailing Evos (70 and 80) before that and the Wave cults are in another league. But you don't like em, you don't like em.

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
5 Oct 2016 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ I agree RRD quads are insanely good. They are very secure in the bottom turn even with chop and never feel unsettling in a choppy bottom turn. I like them in that regard over every other waveboard I have tried.
Sheetin, what is the newest you have tried (as you mentioned last 10yrs...)?

Anyway, if you want to stick with a 2005 ish Hardcore Wave, the Wave Cult was not that different, just a tiny bit flatter rockered. Maybe also search for one of them.

peguin
WA, 263 posts
6 Oct 2016 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

I'm still running a 2009 rrd twin 82. have newer quads and try fin but that twin is still my fav. some shapes just fit right. it needs replacing as to many reef encounters.

tomp
NSW, 688 posts
6 Oct 2016 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

JP twinsers from 2008/2009 are quite narrow in the tail, 55 wide in the 76 litre.

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
6 Oct 2016 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
peguin said..
I'm still running a 2009 rrd twin 82. have newer quads and try fin but that twin is still my fav. some shapes just fit right. it needs replacing as to many reef encounters.

I have one that I converted to quad and it is awesome. Convertible is noice too....

Mastbender
1972 posts
7 Oct 2016 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SHEETIN said..
If nothing surfaces over the next few months ill be probably on a tri/thruster, next year. Cos i agree that its the closest ill get to what im after in the new shapes.

But first look for Acid Wave or Pure Acid boards from Starboard, they are pretty much what you are looking for.
I've got a Pure Acid 80 that is still my go-to board for when things start to get wild out there, 30+.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"RRD 2005 hardcorewave" started by SHEETIN