Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

Started shaping my new waveboard

Created by R1DER > 9 months ago, 4 Apr 2015
R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
20 Jan 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

I've had another little hiccup to put a delay on my longest ever in history board build!!! I have to repair my current board! I had a little disagreement with a rock.
I miss judged where some known submerged rocks are and just as I was bearing away at full speed I hit one instantly stopping the board and throwing me off.
Interestingly to me the force only split down one side of the box. Forcing the rear end of the box into the core cell block its set in cracking the core cell block and despite all my efforts to entirely wrap the box in glass it still leaked into the EPS foam! Gotta wait a while for the foam to dry out. ......Will I ever get my new board ever finished??
The pics below show the verticle crack, I later pulled off the side wall in the vice just to see if the split went further into the box, it didn't. I would have lost the fin for sure if it was another fin box system.
?

gmitton
SA, 1428 posts
21 Jan 2016 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

The longest ever shaping?

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
30 Jan 2016 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Here's few pics of my fin box repair I've had to do to get my big board back on the water, just needs some paint then its back to working on and finishing my board.

After box was removed I let it dry then resined in some more high density PVC foam

New fin box hole routed out.

Dry run make surd it all fits

Wet resin and glass around fin box

Resin glass and carbon capping applied

Filler coat applied

Filler coat sanded, hole cut out, just needs a coat of paint.

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
7 Feb 2016 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Back to my build.
Grey primer sanded back looked a bit too much sanded back. Didn't like it. So I've sprayed a top coat of grey.
?

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
7 Feb 2016 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Grey paint applied lightly sanded back and simple yellow graphic sprayed on.
?

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
7 Feb 2016 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Pads and stickers applied. Masking tape applied ready for deck grip.

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
9 Feb 2016 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Yer yer yer you creative hands on crew better when they arrive like this / hard enough putting footstrap and fins in heeeee

TD55
WA, 62 posts
9 Feb 2016 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

AL - whats this thing doing in your yard?

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
9 Feb 2016 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Varriety is the spice of life TD

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
10 Feb 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Owwwwwch your killing me with that awesome paint job Kingy makes mine look so drab. Really enjoying his board build videos. Really want to see the secret stuff! its good to see other variations in techniques and see other time saving ways of doing things. I thought the taped up rail lap was interesting instead of a free lap, makes it a lot neater even and smoother eg less ridges finish. Also like his attention to detail and appreciate the time and effort he puts in. Glad I'm not the only one who uses box loads of masking tape. I'm itching to make another one!
Might also make a quick vid for the end of this thread.
Here it is so far with the straps on just gotta put the fins in and I'm ready to go. Shame were not getting much wind on these 40 degree plus days that are forecast.

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
11 Feb 2016 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yay fins in so I consider it finished only took me 10 months.

Mastbender
1972 posts
13 Feb 2016 1:24AM
Thumbs Up

Rider the board looks sweet, did you use some anti-shark inspiration with the paint job on the bottom?
Theory says that sharks don't like zebra like patterns,,,,,,,,,,,, according to theory.

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
14 Feb 2016 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Sort of as it was all grey and I didn't want it to look like a big grey seal. So I loosely based it on a fish.

Mark _australia
WA, 22283 posts
14 Feb 2016 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Sharks don't eat fish Mike?

Vince68
WA, 675 posts
14 Feb 2016 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

No, They generally found to be teething on outboard engines and snack on people. I'm sure it was sand whiting that took my snapper and Spanish mackerel ...going by the teeth marks

Although great effort on the board Rider...thumbs up

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
14 Feb 2016 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said...

Bugger! I thought they ate seals and baby whales and quatro boards.

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
14 Feb 2016 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Vince68 said...
Mark _australia said..

No, They generally found to be teething on outboard engines and snack on people. I'm sure it was sand whiting that took my snapper and Spanish mackerel ...going by the teeth marks

Although great effort on the board Rider...thumbs up

Thanks Vince re the good effoert I guess if I get chomped on, I made the wrong call.
Maybe I should have done big eyes and a big mouth with lots of big sharp teeth.

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
18 Feb 2016 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Feedback
I designed the board for average 15 to 20 knot days at my local onshorish beachbreak that has a small wave and often has a side current dragging guys downwind. The 8 year old board I was copying got on the plane quickly and did nice tight little turns I just wanted more volume/float to help planning in the side current.
Ok first day out my front fins hadn't arrived on my old board I use 16 rears and 9 fronts so I used 15 rears and 10 fronts I was hoping for lighter winds,wind was like this.

Used it with a 5.3 it felt very similar to my other board I could feel the extra float, it did feel like it wanted to straighten up a bit in the turns. But I was quite happy.

Next day was even stronger went out with my 5.0 and put some old 9cm front fins in, wind was like this

Still not the conditions it was designed for, but I couldnt get the smile off my face! The 9cm fins improved the turns heaps.

On my lightwind 110 litre board the 10cm fronts paired up with 17cm rears turn great. I'm being really OCD and picky here, It seems to me there is a certain ratio of front to rear fin area that stops the board wanting to slightly straighten up mid turn if enough foot pressure isnt consistently applied.

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
5 Mar 2016 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

Tried some new front fins.

Manuel7
1255 posts
7 Mar 2016 1:09AM
Thumbs Up

I missed how you got from the hacksaw version to the smooth one?

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
22 Mar 2016 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

I've had couple of inquireys about materials used and suppliers here some info.

6 oz Carbon www.sollercomposites.com/

Chinook boxes and plugs http://www.stubell.com.au/

Epoxy Resin Kinetrix UV resistant for a while Good for filler coat and deck grip www.shapers.com.au/ and atlcomposites.com.au/

Divinycell atlcomposites.com.au/

Araldite K3600 Epoxy Resin ( the best resin I've used for laminating) and Divinycell, Qcell filler, pigment
www.kirkside.com.au/

4oz glass Colin Earl surf supplies in Osborne Park W.A.

Nichrome wire and battery charger to make hot wire cutter

5" side us box ebay

Bunnings and Super cheap auto for paint, thinners, sandpaper masking tape etc.

Pads and straps www.flikkaboards.com/ www.northshoreinc.com

Polystyrene EPS is S grade I have also used SL grade with no problems

Corecell is 5mm thick about 75kg/m3
Divinycell 5 mm and 80 kg/m3

www.fibreglass-resin-sales.com.au/ also supply kinetrix resin vac bags pigment glass and carbon

Fridge compressor and car vacuum gauge for vacuum pump.

R1DER
WA, 1459 posts
3 Apr 2016 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

As this boards done I'm starting a new thread for my next project. www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Wave-sailing/Whats-Mike-up-to-now/

Te Hau
479 posts
11 Apr 2016 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
R1DER said..
I've had a couple of people ask me why is the board green when its in the bag. Its breather material, I've taken a pick of the raw materials in layers like they would be in the bag
First is the corecell this is covered by resin soaked carbon fiber cloth, next layer is some black plastic stopping the wet carbon sticking to the next layer which is a breather layer of fabric it allows an even vacuum pressure over the whole board the last layer is the clear plastic a vacuum bag that helps suck and push everything down onto the board until it all dries. I could use another material between the carbon and black plastic to soak up excess resin and make the board lighter, but in the past it has made the boards not as strong and I get more pin holes when filling and painting the board.
?

Nice article. Nice job. I have the same habit. Dressmakers sell rip stop nylon which they use for suit lining. It breathes and makes a great breather cloth. Peels off the cured skin easy and leaves a nice finish.
Much cheaper than Marine Industry breather cloth. A layer of shade cloth on top of this does the bleeder cloth job, also low bucks. Gets the excess resin out of the cure.
Plastic on top of this lot and then into the vac bag.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"Started shaping my new waveboard" started by R1DER