Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

2023 Boss of the Bay (SBYC)

Created by Subsonic > 9 months ago, 19 Jan 2023
Subsonic
WA, 3118 posts
19 Jan 2023 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Only a week and a few days away!

Register here: www.safetybayyc.com.au/ (pick the event under the upcoming events page)

this year is also Safety Bay Yacht clubs 75th anniversary, and as such there will also be a celebratory dinner on after the event. Tickets for the dinner are available through the same link.

Subsonic
WA, 3118 posts
19 Jan 2023 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Loop800
WA, 5 posts
20 Jan 2023 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Subsonic said..
Only a week and a few days away!

Register here: www.safetybayyc.com.au/ (pick the event under the upcoming events page)

this year is also Safety Bay Yacht clubs 75th anniversary, and as such there will also be a celebratory dinner on after the event. Tickets for the dinner are available through the same link.

Could you explain please, when and where to gather for racing?
I have not taken part in Boss of the bay before.

Subsonic
WA, 3118 posts
21 Jan 2023 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

The race is run between Port kennedy boat ramp (long point), down to Safety Bay Yacht Club. You'll need to register online for the event via the SBYC website. there will be a briefing on the beach at Port Kennedy prior to the start.

See below for an extremely crappily drawn approximation of the course.

Subsonic
WA, 3118 posts
23 Jan 2023 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

5 days to go and the forecast is still looking sensational, with a nice 20knot sea breeze to get us to the beverages before the kites. Don't miss the trip! Register now!

Subsonic
WA, 3118 posts
26 Jan 2023 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

IMPORTANT UPDATES on Boss of the Bay

We are nearing our capacity for entries.so enter now. Entries will CLOSE Friday 27th Jan at midday. Hire Flares have been booked and no longer available so you will need to secure your own. Late entries may miss out on dinner as orders have been placed. Ticket to the after party is still included in your fee.

Enter here www.safetybayyc.com.au/events/150020/

If you have missed out in dinner you can order from/visit Azacca Kitchen across the road. Their food is so yummy and highly recommended. During the day of after racing remember to visit Bayside Barista for your coffee fix or lunch, we ate here this week and omg the flavours are mind blowing. This is a 100%gluten free Cafe that truly delivers the goods. Make sure you say hi and thanks to these venues and let them know you're a part of the DW event. The cafe and kitchen are proud supporters of our event who have provided prizes!!!

Subsonic
WA, 3118 posts
26 Jan 2023 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry folks, not sure why that decided to copy into multiple quotation balloons, but you get the idea

TopcatRacing
WA, 31 posts
1 Feb 2023 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Just found out about event which is a shame. Might explain such a low turnout as didn't come up anywhere on windsurfing social media other than the Safety Bay club page. Will now know for next year I suppose. So WWA just promotes their own events but no one page - other than Seabreeze forum with 10 days notice - to keep abreast of all the great events in WA?

JosieJo
WA, 74 posts
1 Feb 2023 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TopcatRacing said..
Just found out about event which is a shame. Might explain such a low turnout as didn't come up anywhere on windsurfing social media other than the Safety Bay club page. Will now know for next year I suppose. So WWA just promotes their own events but no one page - other than Seabreeze forum with 10 days notice - to keep abreast of all the great events in WA?

The Boss of the Bay was advertised throughout Social Media in the months leading up to event.

WWA also shared posts on FB to help get the word out.

Sad that you missed it, great day on the water!

Subsonic
WA, 3118 posts
1 Feb 2023 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TopcatRacing said..

Boss of the Bay is run by Safety Bay Yacht Club, so you wouldn't have seen it come up on the actual WWA website. It was however advertised on the WWA Facebook page and on here both in previous postings in relation to SBYC events, and leading up directly to the event (this post and also on FB)

the event was actually quite well attended, with 75 competitors, 21 of which were windsurfers.

Sorry you missed it, there are a few more slalom days left this season if you're looking for some competition:

Round 4. Sunday Feb 12th 2023
Round 5: Saturday Feb 25th 2023
Round 6: Sunday March 5th 2023
Round 7: Sunday March 12th 2023

Maddlad
WA, 864 posts
2 Feb 2023 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TopcatRacing said..

75 competitors is low turnout?

Obelix
WA, 1097 posts
2 Feb 2023 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

WWA also commissioned a full 22/23 season showcase video which included Safety Bay slalom, Boss of the Bay, Carnarvon Windfest and Swan River Wind Festival.
None of these are WWA events, so the comments was unfair.

WWA is also happy to list any other event on it's home site.

TopcatRacing
WA, 31 posts
4 Feb 2023 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

I suppose I would have expected more than 21 windsurfers but a good kite turnout. I've only been a member of WWA for 6 weeks so not clear on what events are on but searching through the WWA FB page, missed the one post about this event on the 19th Jan and Seabreeze the following day. Most of the other events have had heaps of promotion which is appreciated. Would be handy to have a calendar that's updated with all the WA windsurfing events at least monthly to plan work rosters around them.

hardpole
WA, 576 posts
5 Feb 2023 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TopcatRacing said..
I suppose I would have expected more than 21 windsurfers but a good kite turnout. I've only been a member of WWA for 6 weeks so not clear on what events are on but searching through the WWA FB page, missed the one post about this event on the 19th Jan and Seabreeze the following day. Most of the other events have had heaps of promotion which is appreciated. Would be handy to have a calendar that's updated with all the WA windsurfing events at least monthly to plan work rosters around them.

Do you mean something like this

www.windsurfingwa.org.au/events/list/&when=past

TopcatRacing
WA, 31 posts
5 Feb 2023 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Nice! Just missing this event, a small omission to an otherwise comprehensive list. I'll keep an eye on this rather than rely on FB which can be dodgy anyway with their algorithms determining whether a post comes up.

hardpole
WA, 576 posts
5 Feb 2023 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry hasn't realised it wasn't in that list. I guess because sbyc organise it is a little different.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"2023 Boss of the Bay (SBYC)" started by Subsonic