Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

Can I windsurf? 50 years old, 110 kg, slightly arthritic hip.

Created by windypete > 9 months ago, 7 Oct 2023
windypete
2 posts
7 Oct 2023 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe it's my midlife crisis or my soul's calling. This week I have been thinking about picking up windsurfing and I can't get it out of my head.

But I'm 50 need a hip replacement within a year and weight 110kg. I'm still pretty mobile and fit'ish and strong. Is windsurfing something that should be in my sights? I have no gear but am on the hunt for cheap stuff to give me a taste.

I'd love to know what you think? Am I dreaming

remery
WA, 2699 posts
7 Oct 2023 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Are you dreaming? No.

Pcdefender
WA, 1437 posts
8 Oct 2023 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

Of course, you can.

Windsurfing is not like playing tennis where you need to be very mobile and use your hip lots.

At 110kgs you will need at least 140 liters of volume.

Buy cheap gear to start with a smallish sail around 6.0m and see if the sport is for you.

elmo
WA, 8726 posts
8 Oct 2023 5:25AM
Thumbs Up

You won't know until you give it a go!
a bit of hard work to start with (uphauling), but the first time planing never leaves you.

ptsf1111
WA, 201 posts
8 Oct 2023 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

Sure you can! You might want to consider taking a lesson or two for a great initial experience and learning the basics. If you like it, you can sort the gear. Best to stay away from Gumtree as it's mainly very old and unsuitable gear that is offered there. For learning you need a very big board and a tiny sail. After a lesson or two you can already use smaller boards and bigger sails.

Sandee
QLD, 177 posts
8 Oct 2023 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ptsf1111 said..
Sure you can! You might want to consider taking a lesson or two for a great initial experience and learning the basics.. For learning you need a very big board and a tiny sail.

True that! By "big board" it doesn't need to be very long, but a nice wide board gives good stability when up-hauling. Massive difference between beginners' boards available now compared to the old 'windsurfer' style of old!
And I believe windsurfing to be one of the best activities you can do for all-round fitness & fun, so go for it!

decrepit
WA, 12137 posts
8 Oct 2023 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

My wife started windsurfing when she was 50, took it slow and steady, and really enjoyed it.
BTW I'm still windsurfing at 78, so really age is no barrier, you just don't learn as fast as those, several decades younger.
A couple of tips, windsurfing requires a bit of ambidexterity.
Just because you can do stuff going one way doesn't mean you can do it in the other.
LEARN to COME BACK, before you go out too far.

Don't try and fight the wind, the trick is get the wind to do it for you. Learn sail control first.

windypete
2 posts
8 Oct 2023 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thankyou everyone,
I loved hearing all your supportive messages and sooo much wisdom in them all.
Technique
-Don't fight the wind
-Learn sail control first
-Become ambidextrous and don't go think you can do everything one way and get stuck. You must've seen people do this.
-Lesson's to start
- learn slow and steady
Info on gear selection
- 140 litres at least
- 6 metre sail
- start with big board and small sail then move onto small board with a big sail
- width gives stability not all about length
- Stay away from Gumtree
Support
- Age is no barrier
-78 year old is doing it
- Wife started at 50
- Windsurfing is fun and good fitness
- Hip issue is not a major hassle like other sports
And with a bit of hard work and start with uphauling and then the feeling of planing will never leave me.
Thanks everyone that is all I needed to know to start my journey.

Wind Smurf
NSW, 242 posts
9 Oct 2023 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

where are you based too.

I'd say if its Europe then get to a decent school and do a few days lessons. This will get you into the equipment and a little bit of technical knowledge too.
Look up a local group of windsurfers. Theres some groups on Facebook.
If its WA then try and find a local shop, ask advice.
Don't get suckered into buying rubbish just because you are learning. Theres some old rubbish online that will just hinder your progress.

Peer78
35 posts
9 Oct 2023 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Weight should not be such an issue, but consider your local spot.
Ocean and waves choose your preferences
but flat water lakes, bad wind consider foiling as your goto path. Board size does not matter that much and sailsize is reasonable.

For normal windsurfing at 100+ I had to use my small sail was 7qm, standard 8 and lighter winds(15kn) 9.5qm. This also stretches the limits of most sail components and you will break some stuff. You will also switch to smaller boards soon and hate them, as they stop going for you in any lull. Some charts say roughly +10kg = +1qm.

For foiling I can use my 'small' 7 as lighter wind option. And a lot more days to enjoy the watersite. Boards are modern (even used), typically large(140l+). Wind limit is down to ~10kn.

Practise a bit with a friend or school on a huge board, 5-6qm Sail and some wind to see if you like it and afterwards choose your path and weapons.

powersloshin
NSW, 1684 posts
23 Oct 2023 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

I started windsurfing at 55 and got hooked immediately. It has helped my physical and mental wellbeing immensely. But only a warning for you: learning to windsurf is not easy, you will struggle the first year. I was falling in the water so many times that people wanted to rescue me. Get someone to help you select the right gear and everything will be easier.
Good luck !!

Sandee
QLD, 177 posts
24 Oct 2023 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hey, Windypete, how's your quest going? You might be out there progressing by now, but here's a couple more thoughts if you're not doing it yet: you might find it hard to get to your feet to uphaul the rig if you can't easily get up off the floor at home due to dicky hip. (Kitesurfing is easier with limited mobility, as the kite pulls you up onto the board, and the board is also much lighter to carry around.) Even if you can do this, it'd be good to avoid abrasive deck grip on your board in order to preserve your skin! EVA foam is a much friendlier option for beginners.

Hats
NSW, 6 posts
27 Oct 2023 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

If you live in Sydney, two clubs offer windsurfing lessons for beginners:
wollarrah sailing club
Dubroyd Aquatic Club
Either individual lessons or in group.
You can learn to sail reasonably well within 8 weeks.
Our oldest trainee was 73 - that was 2 years ago - and he is still windsurfing.

Give it a go - you won't regret it.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"Can I windsurf? 50 years old, 110 kg, slightly arthritic hip." started by windypete