GRAND MASTERS
1. Nick Bozikovic
2. Claude Lecoq
3. Ant Dunn

westhammer
WA, 504 posts
25 Nov 2019 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Another great Roy Bell screaming Leeman event :) Huge thanks to the local town folk for laying it on for the windsurf community and making us feel welcome and special and WWA windsurfing and all the crew behind the scene making the event run super smooth.The race day started at Little Anchorage about 10k south of Leeman .The wind came in early and looked like it was going to boot in strong by the 1 o'clock start so I opted to go small and rigged my sailworks 5.4 nx on my small 90ltr Exocet and a weed fin after seeing clumps on my warm up.I was getting some good speeds and nicely powered up on the warm up and made my mind up to stay with the small gear :/ Had a good starting position and a great run to the first cray boat but after rounding the boat realised I was under gunned and that the wind had changed direction to southerly which made the inward marks high and the outward marks super deep off the wind and a lot more challenging course. At the second mark it paid to watch the front runners lines as the strip of reef near the mark was sketchy and very shallow and it claimed victims including Premos new carbon fin,young roammys fin through the board and a couple of other casualties. Rounding the 3rd mark I was surprised to see Bastian the gun sitting on his board after braking his uj, he was clear in front and would have won the race with out a doubt.Had a few good runs catching crew and then falling back again after stalling,. After about the 6th jibe my fitness started to fail and was battling to keep the calf cramps away.I was happy to have completed the race in 13th overall .Was super stoked with young Kais performance on the heels of the big boys and on his 5.6 Hucker freeride sail and will have to up my game now if I want to beat him ;)

This was my track and you can see on the second mark where evasive action needed to be taken :o The after party and presentations was a fantastic turnout with the locals and windsurf community getting together.I managed to avoid the alcohol this time after last years effort at the bar with Rooster,Premo, Clarkey, Patrik to be the last man standing :) coming back next year wiser ,stronger fitter and badder :))

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
25 Nov 2019 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
westhammer said..

Another great Roy Bell screaming Leeman event :) Huge thanks to the local town folk for laying it on for the windsurf community and making us feel welcome and special and WWA windsurfing and all the crew behind the scene making the event run super smooth.The race day started at Little Anchorage about 10k south of Leeman .The wind came in early and looked like it was going to boot in strong by the 1 o'clock start so I opted to go small and rigged my sailworks 5.4 nx on my small 90ltr Exocet and a weed fin after seeing clumps on my warm up.I was getting some good speeds and nicely powered up on the warm up and made my mind up to stay with the small gear :/ Had a good starting position and a great run to the first cray boat but after rounding the boat realised I was under gunned and that the wind had changed direction to southerly which made the inward marks high and the outward marks super deep off the wind and a lot more challenging course. At the second mark it paid to watch the front runners lines as the strip of reef near the mark was sketchy and very shallow and it claimed victims including Premos new carbon fin,young roammys fin through the board and a couple of other casualties. Rounding the 3rd mark I was surprised to see Bastian the gun sitting on his board after braking his uj, he was clear in front and would have won the race with out a doubt.Had a few good runs catching crew and then falling back again after stalling,. After about the 6th jibe my fitness started to fail and was battling to keep the calf cramps away.I was happy to have completed the race in 13th overall .Was super stoked with young Kais performance on the heels of the big boys and on his 5.6 Hucker freeride sail and will have to up my game now if I want to beat him ;)

This was my track and you can see on the second mark where evasive action needed to be taken :o The after party and presentations was a fantastic turnout with the locals and windsurf community getting together.I managed to avoid the alcohol this time after last years effort at the bar with Rooster,Premo, Clarkey, Patrik to be the last man standing :) coming back next year wiser ,stronger fitter and badder :))

Thanks Westhammer. Sounds like a great race. Well done to all. Well done to the youth sailors too and Kai Dunn, Rome Featherstone and Jake Hindmarsh. We saw Rome at the 2019 Windsurfer LT WA states where he took out 3rd in the lightweights and 5th overall. He is a fearless sailor so Kai must be even more so. I think the Leeman race is great, it would be interesting to hear sailor choice of gear sail sizes, board volumes specs and weights of each rider and the windspeed. Next year at Leeman !

Pointman
WA, 435 posts
25 Nov 2019 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Nice wrap up Antman
As you have suggested gear choice was critical.
I had a 7.0 rigged as my first choice (TR9...proper race sail) and a 6.5 Turbo as insurance. Fortunately I grabbed the Turbo just before the start, which besides being a half metre smaller is a lot more forgiving than the TR9.
I did persist with my board choice however, a Mistral 112 (68 wide) with a 33 Tribal weedy.
First couple of legs were OK, but as I got down the course the chop got gnarlier, the seaward legs became hell deep, and the board was a real handful. I think it was the fourth leg out to sea when I nose-dived at full speed into the back of a wave and went over the bars.
Lay there for a while winded, then got back on the horse, but the confidence was shaken and I wasn't so keen to send it downwind.
Last couple of legs I cruised with the back foot out of the strap, sheeted out, so I could get deeper. I had a few more offs, but nothing like the first flogging at full tilt.
By the end I was glad to see the finish, coming in 19th overall at 47 minutes.
It was kinda fun, kinda terrifying, and bloody hard work.
Unlike speed sailing (when it helps to be a 100kg unit), size doesn't really work in your favour at these events, cos you generally need bigger gear which is harder to control in the sea state that accompanies a 25K+ Leeman buffalo
That said I heard that Ben Newson was on a similar size board, and he smashed it, so no excuses, I just wasn't good enough on the day.
I had my 115 OES XWave in the trailer (similar dims to the Mistral, but a freestyle wave shape with a lot more rocker) and that would've been a better choice.
It's the old hare and tortoise scenario, the race gear is quicker in a straight line, but if you're totally out of control and can't make your gybes then a slower more comfortable board will probably get you there quicker overall.
Great event and I'll be back next year for another crack

premo
WA, 293 posts
27 Nov 2019 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

i hit a reef on the second mark and snaped my fin off...by teh time i got picke dup by the boar most sailors finished race already...we saw Cheryl struggling to get going in ballistic wind so i swapped with her and got her wave set up 70L board and 4,7 and finished the race:) it was good fun flying on wave gear, should have done it from the start, great race and eventbut maybe next time we dont put a mark in teh middle of the reef...just a suggestion:-) if any divers gets my carbon zulu i buy you a beer:-)

RichardG
WA, 3749 posts
27 Nov 2019 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
premo said..
i hit a reef on the second mark and snaped my fin off...by teh time i got picke dup by the boar most sailors finished race already...we saw Cheryl struggling to get going in ballistic wind so i swapped with her and got her wave set up 70L board and 4,7 and finished the race:) it was good fun flying on wave gear, should have done it from the start, great race and eventbut maybe next time we dont put a mark in teh middle of the reef...just a suggestion:-) if any divers gets my carbon zulu i buy you a beer:-)

Premo, Well done hope you get the fin back but not sure if it will be salvageable. A 70 L board, that is low volume, must have been very windy ! What type of fins were people using on waveboards ? Thruster single say no more than 23 cm centre or so ?

premo
WA, 293 posts
28 Nov 2019 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

guys and girls on wave boards were simply jumping over the reefs, i think Karing also did a front loop :-0)

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"Screamin Leeman 2019 - RESULTS" started by WindsurfingWA