Forums > Wing Foiling General

Aero Glide 1595 / Starboard Glider mk2 1700 ? Options?

Created by Viri 6 months ago, 9 Apr 2024
Viri
4 posts
9 Apr 2024 3:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone,
I would like to ask for your help / opinions in choosing a foil for cruising local lake (I live in Czech Republic / Europe) in the light wind days.

Conditions I would like to cover with new equipment:
- lake / flat water
- 8 - 10 kt (with some gusts not exceeding 12 knots)

Considering the purchase of:
- Aero Glide 1595 (to be able to get enough speed to glide or pump over windless windows)
or
- Starboard Glider mk2 1700

+ New Ventis 7.0

My current setup:
- Slick 6.0 (2023) / for 12-18 kt wind
- Unit 3.5 (2024) / 18+ kt wind
- Starboard 100 L board
- Starboard S-type 2400 (quickly losing speed in light wind)

More context:
This year is my 4th wing foil season. I can pump to get foil up / going. I still keep learning jibes without landing though.
I have 185 cm / 85 kgs.
No budget for new dw board this year.

What's your take on my choice, please?

Luke / CZ

FranP
80 posts
9 Apr 2024 5:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Viri said..
Hi everyone,
I would like to ask for your help / opinions in choosing a foil for cruising local lake (I live in Czech Republic / Europe) in the light wind days.

- lake / flat water

- Aero Glide 1595 (to be able to get enough speed to glide or pump over windless windows)
or

+ New Ventis 7.0

My current setup:
- Starboard 100 L board

More context:
This year is my 4th wing foil season. I can pump to get foil up / going. I still keep learning jibes without landing though.
I have 185 cm / 85 kgs.

Luke / CZ

the Aero Glide, it's fast, perfect for lakes -no waves- easy lift and pump.... you might consider the 1305I'm 93Kg naked, 1.86m, intermediate rider, Duotone Unit 6m2 for low wind days I ride the Glide 1305 in a mid length board (6'4'' x 20'', 98L)

patronus
395 posts
9 Apr 2024 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Worth finding an earlier post about gear choice and Craig from Duotone added the 1595 wasn't really for winging,vrhe 1305 is.

Viri
4 posts
9 Apr 2024 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patronus said..
Worth finding an earlier post about gear choice and Craig from Duotone added the 1595 wasn't really for winging,vrhe 1305 is.

Thanks, found it. However I'm bit confused by the description on the duotone's product webpage saying:

Its high glide capabilities and low drag also make it an extremely good light wind winging tool, especially for heavier riders. Intermediate to advanced riders will love using this wing for dock starting and flat-water pumping.

Viri
4 posts
9 Apr 2024 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FranP said..

Viri said..
Hi everyone,

- lake / flat water

or

+ New Ventis 7.0

My current setup:
- Starboard 100 L board

More context:
I have 185 cm / 85 kgs.

Luke / CZ

the Aero Glide, it's fast, perfect for lakes -no waves- easy lift and pump.... you might consider the 1305I'm 93Kg naked, 1.86m, intermediate rider, Duotone Unit 6m2 for low wind days I ride the Glide 1305 in a mid length board (6'4'' x 20'', 98L)

Thanks for sharing. What is the lightest wind you can get your 1305 going with 6m unit, please?

mitxval
40 posts
9 Apr 2024 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I've been trying the 1305 this weekend for low wind winging and dockstart.
I am 72kg, on a 55L board and the 7m Ventis I can get it going in 7-8kn with lots of chop. Once it's up, it never goes down, turns are quite nice and it's actually reasonably fast for such a big wing.
If you have a bigger board, and on flat conditions, I think you will definitely be able to use in the 8-10kn range on flat water with a 6m.

CraigGDuotone
36 posts
9 Apr 2024 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Viri, the 1595 is primarily a foil for downwind/pump foiling. I have used it myself a few times with a downwind board 6'10" and 8sqm Ventis in conditions where Kites could not launch off the beach - so well below 10knots in the holes, I weigh 76kg's/5 yrs winging experience, usually riding Carve 850/1100, mainly Bayern Lakes, Garda, Cape Town.

It is a very big/high aspect wing, so needs quite some attention for light wind winging - but for sure very good lift, pump. But I don't think you need such a big size, for your 85kg's, the 1305 Glide should be more than big enough for the conditions you mention. If you want a bigger foil, then go for a Free 1500 or 1750, in lower aspect than the Glide 1595 - these will both be faster and easier to turn, maybe a slightly easier drop in size from your existing 2400. But with 4 yrs of winging, you should be able to handle the 1305 easily.

Personally at 10kg's lighter, with a 6.0 Unit, I would say I can get up in about 10-12 knots on the 1305, but can easily stay up then in 6-10knots - but you need a gust, with just about any foil, to actually get up and go. Everyone talks about getting going in sub 10knots winds, but you need to be really skilled to pump up without any higher gust.

Carbonlover
NSW, 20 posts
9 Apr 2024 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

I have just stepped down to the 1305 glide from the 1500 free that I have used since January in our NZ summer.
first year of winging and loved the 1500 free for ease of lift and control as a beginner 75kg.
Felt I was ready to downsize and push myself so jumped into the higher aspect trend. I love the 1350 as my light wind foil. I sail in pretty flat water with the odd chop and wind swell depending on conditions and direction.
I use with a 6m most of the time and have got myself a Ventis 7.m and I can get up with a few pumps in 7-8knots and once up loads of glide, love the light wind winging with this set up.
i step down to a 1035 Glide with my 5.0/4.5 Slicks and feel ready to progress to a 905 glide for the windy days.
i come from a windsurf background so comfortable with the booms on the Slicks and getting to grips with the handles on the Ventis.
Overall the glide range offer loads of potential for intermediate type riders and beyond.
i still call myself a learner but but hitting all my goals and targets for my first year winging.

Viri
4 posts
19 Apr 2024 5:25AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions. I got my 1305 Glide and 7.0 Ventis last week...and I took the 1305 out for a ride today with Slick 6.0 (2023) - 12 kt (16 kt gusts, lake with little chop).

I was a little nervous about switching from the LA 2400 to the HA 1300. It went better than I expected. The ability to get the foil up to the right speed, lift and maneuverability. It does exactly what I need - at the right speed I can easily get over the windows with little pumping in almost no wind (our lake is surrounded by trees that create little to no wind areas). Happy : )

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Aero Glide 1595 / Starboard Glider mk2 1700 ? Options?" started by Viri