Forums > Wing Foiling General

Armstrong winging 580/680 vs MA625

Created by ninjatuna 4 months ago, 29 Apr 2024
ninjatuna
208 posts
29 Apr 2024 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Discussion from the other thread made me want to start a separate topic. And I am sure there are other people questioning the difference in these 2 (5-680/ MA625). I have read about the good things of each so this doesn't need to be about my decision. Just trying to see feedbacks about them.

Last year talking with Aiden before the HA V2's were out, his preference was to jump on the MA625 whenever the wind was strong enough to get off the 1225. Now in the age of the HAv2's, we have the 580 and 680. I already have been supfoiling the 880 and having a blast with what it can do. But I have not had a chance to wing it yet and wont for about another 5 weeks. But reading about people around my size (85kg), they seem to go 580 or 680 depending on their local conditions. What I have read about-- 5/680's are going to give me some better glide and MA625 is going to handle big conditions and still be fun with a little turning ability. Starting to play more in the waves with the wing now too. I have still seen a conversation or 2 about riding the MA625 since last year with people really liking the performance and talk that this is a quiet standout in the MA line. This makes my conversation with Aiden stick in my head about the 625 compared to all the new stories about the new small HA's.

So now with the HAv2's in the mix and all the great feedback about them, is the MA625 still the silent stand out in terms of performance.

Not a facebook guy so if there is anything over there about it, I am all ears.

I know it comes down to personal preferences in how things rides too.

Windoc
389 posts
1 May 2024 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

I've not ridden the MA625 but own the HA680 and ride it mostly on a 50 fuse with the 205 tail for reference. I have owned the MA1000, MA1225, and MA1475 and have ridden the 800, so have a pretty good idea how those translate to the MA625 relative to the HAs.

It'll come down to what you prioritize. Top end speed, sharp, fast turns in the pocket of a wave, excellent breach/jump recovery: MA625. Easy launch, easy glide, easy pump, surfy feel, forgiving stall speed: New HAs

The MA's definitely have not become obsolete with the new HA release. While I reluctantly sold my MA1000 and ride my HA680 instead (90kg), I do miss the pop and breach recovery of the MA1000. But the HA680 allows longer, surfier rides in the weaker energy of a swell without grabbing the wing to avoid stalling if the swell goes a bit fat and is just more forgiving overall while retaining the ability to rip a sharp turn and hit decent speeds if pushed.

The MA625 will feel like a power hungry little rocket. You'd need to feed it energy with strong wind and/or steeper swell. If you have those things on tap, it's still a great option. I'll likely pick one up used at some point.

MidAtlanticFoil
716 posts
2 May 2024 1:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windoc said..
I've not ridden the MA625 but own the HA680 and ride it mostly on a 50 fuse with the 205 tail for reference. I have owned the MA1000, MA1225, and MA1475 and have ridden the 800, so have a pretty good idea how those translate to the MA625 relative to the HAs.

It'll come down to what you prioritize. Top end speed, sharp, fast turns in the pocket of a wave, excellent breach/jump recovery: MA625. Easy launch, easy glide, easy pump, surfy feel, forgiving stall speed: New HAs

The MA's definitely have not become obsolete with the new HA release. While I reluctantly sold my MA1000 and ride my HA680 instead (90kg), I do miss the pop and breach recovery of the MA1000. But the HA680 allows longer, surfier rides in the weaker energy of a swell without grabbing the wing to avoid stalling if the swell goes a bit fat and is just more forgiving overall while retaining the ability to rip a sharp turn and hit decent speeds if pushed.

The MA625 will feel like a power hungry little rocket. You'd need to feed it energy with strong wind and/or steeper swell. If you have those things on tap, it's still a great option. I'll likely pick one up used at some point.

Well said Windoc. I've been waiting to reply to this thread until I've ridden the HA580 and MA625 back to back. I'm still i the 'getting to know you' phase with the 580. I will say that I think the 580 feels looser and more 'invisible' than the 625. The 580 just loves to be turned and on rail and feels a bit more dynamic while doing so when compared to the MA625. Slightly looser trucks maybe. I'll circle back once I've left the water frothing riding both wings.

Like Windoc said, the HAs will allow a more surfy downwind approach, while the MA's will like a more powered up windsurf approach. I really enjoy the MAs whipping into good bump and just cranking turns as hard as I can. You can do that with the HAs, but maybe not as buttery smooth of a radius, but you gain the ability to come of the turn and pump to your next bump to repeat, with a bit less speed.

I've got the MA1000, 800, and 625 and the HA580, 680, 880, and 1080 for reference. I'm 65kgs.

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
2 May 2024 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

for sure above. But for the question in the thread the guys wants to race the M20 - 625ma would be a better choice overall. He's not out there to surf, flat out speed and control is needed.

ninjatuna
208 posts
2 May 2024 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the great answers.

eppo, I did not want to interrupt the other conversation. The other thread question applied to a different and more specific application

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
2 May 2024 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ninjatuna said..
Thanks for the great answers.

eppo, I did not want to interrupt the other conversation. The other thread question applied to a different and more specific application

easy, more info the better. I agree with all your observations imo.

MidAtlanticFoil
716 posts
4 May 2024 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

I wrote the HA 580 with 205 tail blue back to back with the MA 625 today. Both are amazing, but for me and my conditions, I give the slight edge to the HA 580. This is mainly due to the tighter, turning radius you can achieve with that wing and slightly more positive front foot pressure, and more lift overall. Dropping in on Gorge like swells I just have more confidence to initiate turns midface and really carved harder than the MA.

MA has far superior breach performance. At one point, I was free winging down a swell and breached a tip and lost lift down to the board and then bounce right back on Foil and didn't miss a beat. The 580 can slip a tip but it kind of throws you for a bit of balance correction.

MidAtlanticFoil
716 posts
4 May 2024 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

I wrote the HA 580 with 205 tail blue back to back with the MA 625 today. Both are amazing, but for me and my conditions, I give the slight edge to the HA 580. This is mainly due to the tighter, turning radius you can achieve with that wing and slightly more positive front foot pressure, and more lift overall. Dropping in on Gorge like swells I just have more confidence to initiate turns midface and really carved harder than the MA.

MA has far superior breach performance. At one point, I was free winging down a swell and breached a tip and lost lift down to the board and then bounce right back on Foil and didn't miss a beat. The 580 can slip a tip but it kind of throws you for a bit of balance correction.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Armstrong winging 580/680 vs MA625" started by ninjatuna