Forums > Wing Foiling General

Duotone Whizz 850 winging video review

Created by leepasty 4 months ago, 9 May 2024
leepasty
371 posts
9 May 2024 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

I was lucky enough to test out a Whizz 850 for a week of pumping conditions. check out my review, more details in the YouTube description

?si=LM-nZfyoH-0ECJUf

Nikita
QLD, 212 posts
9 May 2024 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review. How does it compare to the Free 800 in terms of turning?

leepasty
371 posts
9 May 2024 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nikita said..
Thanks for the review. How does it compare to the Free 800 in terms of turning?

Turns better than the free 800 and tips out no problem. Got way more lift and pump but is also slower

shi thouse
WA, 1141 posts
9 May 2024 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Another company copying Axis. The new Armstrong aluminium line up is almost the same base plate, doodad, and fuse. Duotone just pumping out a reverse dihedral of the Spitfire.

leepasty
371 posts
10 May 2024 2:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..
Another company copying Axis. The new Armstrong aluminium line up is almost the same base plate, doodad, and fuse. Duotone just pumping out a reverse dihedral of the Spitfire.

The Whizz is totally different AR 8.5 across all sizes where as the spitfire 900cm2 is 6.8

sunsetsailboards
470 posts
10 May 2024 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

this is all discussed in another thread. yes, initial reaction to seeing the outline is a spitfire ripoff.... all other details seem to be much different. outline is a single parameter.

that said, I was hoping they would just make a production copy of mikeslab. why has nobody done this? that said, Mike is a master craftsman, his finish is impeccable, his layups are top secret, and his masts are super thin. It's like MilesLab one-design racing at Crissy. that said, there are fast guys on other foils... but the fastest is on ML... and would still be fastest on SS hover glide probably.

patronus
372 posts
10 May 2024 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
I was lucky enough to test out a Whizz 850 for a week of pumping conditions. check out my review, more details in the YouTube description

?si=LM-nZfyoH-0ECJUf

If the 850 Spitfire has a lift similar to 1085 Glide can I use the 850 instead in knee to thigh-high, low power wind swells? Hearing Spitfire have less glide than Glides, but if I can use a smaller Spitfire maybe get the glide back? Would Spitfires suit head+ soft waves as in Rhosneigr where I use 925 and 1085 Glides

leepasty
371 posts
11 May 2024 2:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sunsetsailboards said..
this is all discussed in another thread. yes, initial reaction to seeing the outline is a spitfire ripoff.... all other details seem to be much different. outline is a single parameter.

that said, I was hoping they would just make a production copy of mikeslab. why has nobody done this? that said, Mike is a master craftsman, his finish is impeccable, his layups are top secret, and his masts are super thin. It's like MilesLab one-design racing at Crissy. that said, there are fast guys on other foils... but the fastest is on ML... and would still be fastest on SS hover glide probably.

This Whizz is a wave wing I'm not even sure mikes lab does a prone wing?
I did hear Duotone did a prototype 540 one piece similar to Mikes lab that Ken winner and few others were using that was amazing but it never went into production as not sure the demand is there for the costs. Mikes Lab doing some crazy foils have you seen the 240 Guy Cribb has. Strangely though no Mikes Lab were in the top 10 at Defi Wing (I maybe wrong) even though lots of people riding them

leepasty
371 posts
11 May 2024 2:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patronus said..

leepasty said..

?si=LM-nZfyoH-0ECJUf

If the 850 Spitfire has a lift similar to 1085 Glide can I use the 850 instead in knee to thigh-high, low power wind swells? Hearing Spitfire have less glide than Glides, but if I can use a smaller Spitfire maybe get the glide back? Would Spitfires suit head+ soft waves as in Rhosneigr where I use 925 and 1085 Glides

You mean Spitfire or Whizz ? I'm going to be using the Whizz 850 for weak waves as I say in my video , I'd say the Whizz will be epic at Rhossy as onshore mush is where I found it best thanks to the super low stall speed, amazing pump and super good for turns and white water hits

Foxi
125 posts
11 May 2024 3:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

sunsetsailboards said..

I did hear Duotone did a prototype 540 one piece similar to Mikes lab that Ken winner and few others were using that was amazing but it never went into production as not sure the demand is there for the costs. Mikes Lab doing some crazy foils have you seen the 240 Guy Cribb has. Strangely though no Mikes Lab were in the top 10 at Defi Wing (I maybe wrong) even though lots of people riding them

Usually Fiona Wylde, who won the womens Defi, rides ML. As ML refused to take part in the registration process for the Olympics, they lost all potential market shares for real racers to Chubanga and Levitaz and focus on higher earners instead.

leepasty
371 posts
11 May 2024 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foxi said..

leepasty said..

sunsetsailboards said..

Usually Fiona Wylde, who won the womens Defi, rides ML. As ML refused to take part in the registration process for the Olympics, they lost all potential market shares for real racers to Chubanga and Levitaz and focus on higher earners instead.

Yeah didn't see what foil she was using but she was 65th overall anyway and I know lots of mines labs infront of her just not sure any in top 10. I know there was a F4 in top 10 with Rafferty
as you say lots of levitaz & chubanga. Tom Auber was in 11th on Duotone Daytona kite foil and few Gongs a bit further back.
But hey I'm not into racing anymore and for me the Whizz 850 is epic for winging waves

www.instagram.com/p/C50E2O1ICee/?igsh=dmg2NDA2NXAyOHYz

Foxi
125 posts
11 May 2024 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Considering the 2024 GWA Tour's amended format of freefly slalom, with lots of directional changes - pumping as well, but that hasn't changed - I'm convinced the Chubanga (Nia) & Cos are very versatile foils. What could be seen @ Defi was, that the Gong Team, being on their own foils, had a clear disadvantage, not so much in speed, but in control on those long legs. I'm sure Cappucco was quite jealous of Tomasis equipmen, he had given up when leaving stylish RRD for ugly Gong.

leepasty
371 posts
11 May 2024 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

How about Wings then. the Unit dlab was up there against these special race wings with lots of top 3 finishes and it also works amazing in waves

?si=yOkpph8zxBYDJA2d

sunsetsailboards
470 posts
16 May 2024 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

sunsetsailboards said..

hah, that was just a tongue in cheek comment about Duotone ripping off a design from another company... and if they were indeed going to do that, I would hope they would copy MikesLab, which is probably uncopy-able from a production point of view.

Had a chance to ride the Whizz 850 and 1000 on the Sky Style SLS 4'9" and a midlength board 85l....

unreal low end on these foils and the turning is great.

Rode the 850 first on a moderately windy day with the midlength and the 65l board, and it was insanely fun on the ferry boat wakes... very loose and slashy, easy to pump and move around. Would like to try this foil again on a proper good day in the bay.

We had some small windswell bumps to ride the 2nd day with the 1000 in light wind with the midlength board and this foil gets going really easily and has a really low stall speed... could park on slow moving bumps and just coast or do pumping turns to stay engaged. really fun I can see the 1000 being my light wind foil.

for me the Whizz need to be pushed farther forward in the tracks compared to the Glides and Frees... I was almost all the way forward. Wasn't having such a great time on these foils for general winging until I got the position dialed, but once I figured that out they rode really nicely.

185lb rider using the D/LAB 90cm mast and 60 fuse.

patronus
372 posts
16 May 2024 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

92kg wet and use 1305 Glide for winging light winds and sometimes pick up soft, knee+ high wind swells to glide along. Would a Whizz be better, and which one as don't want to lose any low-end

leepasty
371 posts
17 May 2024 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patronus said..
92kg wet and use 1305 Glide for winging light winds and sometimes pick up soft, knee+ high wind swells to glide along. Would a Whizz be better, and which one as don't want to lose any low-end

As I say it n the vid
for gliding on windswell stick with the glide. for turns on waves go for whizz

Nikita
QLD, 212 posts
6 Jun 2024 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lee - how does the Whizz compare to the Carve 2.0? Is the Carve 2.0 turning behaviour similar to the Whizz? But faster and less glide?

I've tried the Whizz 1000 and I loved the carvy/slashy turns, but it didn't seem to like jumping (at least compared to the Free 1000). It jumped ok, but it didn't pop straight back up like the Free does on landing. Maybe I just need to figure out how to land the Whizz. Admittedly the conditions weren't great either.

leepasty
371 posts
6 Jun 2024 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think the Whizz is aimed at jumping. It's a prone foil that works well for winging in softer waves. I'm also loving the 1000 for playing around on flat water 360s etc and seeing how far can get the tips out. I'm using it with the p165 stab on the wing in light wind flat water.
the Carve dlab turns better and jumps way better but you need more power either in the wing or the wave, totally different foils.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Duotone Whizz 850 winging video review" started by leepasty