Forums > Wing Foiling General

Help! Armstrong HS1080 or APF1675

Created by LorenzoCA 28 days ago, 11 Jul 2024
LorenzoCA
6 posts
11 Jul 2024 4:52AM
Thumbs Up

Heya!

Need help and input on choosing. I've read lots of forum posts but still need input.

Me: 70kg, beginner winger and wanting to pump foil and DW with wing and SUP in future. Someday jump off my surfboards and try prone foiling.

Situation: I ordered an APF1675 and 220 stab. Figured this would be a good combo to address all the above. BUT...dealer (nice guy) accidentally sent me a new HA1080.

Question 1: Was my initial order of the APF1675 and 220 good to target my "Me" desires above?
Question 2: Is the accidental delivery of the HA1080 better to target my "Me" desires above?
Question 3: Is there a better front foil to target my "Me" desires above?

Thanks interweb friends:)

Gone to dark side
NSW, 389 posts
11 Jul 2024 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

HI I am not an expert but you may whon,t to start with one foil jouny first. What gear have you got at the moment. At 70 kg the foils may be large .

LorenzoCA
6 posts
11 Jul 2024 5:42AM
Thumbs Up

I'm on a 1550V2 now. I've been winging and wake foiling it for a while now.

LorenzoCA
6 posts
11 Jul 2024 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

By the way...I KNOW that no one wing will be ideal for pump foiling, learning SUP downwind pop ups and riding, and potentially even some surf foiling. I'm just trying to find the best compromise.

ArthurAlston
NSW, 189 posts
11 Jul 2024 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

You may find that the Facebook Armstrong group is a better place for a question and discussion like the one you have. There are tons of devoted Armie users on there with a lot of experience.

For pure pumping at your weight, I'd say one of the smaller AFPs would be more suitable. Their website confirms that. So it sounds like you need to have another discussion with your dealer. Also at your weight, there are more suitable foils for DW. My opinion, your question 1, the answer is no. Q2: maybe. Q3: yes.

LorenzoCA
6 posts
11 Jul 2024 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks ArthurAlston. Solid answers. I'll join that FB group. Cheers.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
11 Jul 2024 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

the apf will be terrible for winging and sup foiling but yeh better to learn to pump - honestly in my opinion I recon your dealer may have done you a favour. Even the DW supping crew here can't stand the apf for DW supping. It's too damn slow. Kind of depends on your conditions i suppose. Recon the 1080 will be sweet for the other two desciplines and eventually for pumping. Even the pumping crew locally really don't like the ApF. But then again as you'll find on the FB page - crew do like and use the apf.

Listen mate if you do decide to go the APF 1675 - i've got one. I will swap it out for the 1080 .if it gets too hard with your dealer.

Windoc
389 posts
11 Jul 2024 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

I have both foils at 90kg. The APF1675 has been great for learning flat water SUP paddle ups and getting pumping more polished but I really don't like it for DW as Eppo has said. It is such a pig and very slow/draggy for that application (surfing small waves is similar). I also find it very difficult to correct if it starts to bank at slower speeds (like taking off on a small swell). I was recently in Hood River learning DW and started on the APF. It kept boosting me and tossing me which suggested it was too far forward. To be fair I could have kept messing around moving it back until it felt in the right spot but I thought I'd try the 1080, as I surf a ton on that foil. While it wasn't as stable standing and getting ready to sprint onto a swell, it accelerated instantly and was so easy to ride and change direction as well as pump. The difference was pretty amazing. The distance you cover as well as the glide is much better as you'd expect on the 1080 as well. I haven't tried flat water paddle ups on the 1080 yet.

The 1675 actually wings quite well but is no speed demon and forces the board a bit nose down at speed

The new, smallest APF may be the ticket for you.

LorenzoCA
6 posts
12 Jul 2024 5:55AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Windoc! Maybe the 1675 for learning basics of pump and paddle up, if I can't get the 1375, then move to a smaller APF or 1080. Much appreciated.

kobo
NSW, 1092 posts
12 Jul 2024 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

I have found the APF 1675 cracked the DW paddle up code for me when I was learning and couldn't paddle up on anything else.It's a wide wing and it definitely takes some time to learn how to turn ,but now with practice I can throw it around no problem. As others have said it's definitely not fast, but it's almost impossible to stall ,so when you're learning out in the ocean and inevitably find yourself in no man's land looking for energy to ride ,it gives you the time to pump around and stay on foil until you find something ,and it will keep you up and going on the tiniest bump which will inevitably "save your arse". It also teaches you where the energy is because you have to "peel off" some of the faster bumps because it can't keep up and look again for new lumps to keep going so you really learn to make the most of everything not just the easy stuff.As I have improved on this wing I've got to the stage where Ive done DW runs in glassy ocean with just 1m bumps that I guarantee would be impossible on any other wing (for me anyhow). One other handy feature is when it does go faster it drops the nose of the board down instead of boosting you off, and while it's a straight lining experience at least you are still up and going. It's definitely suited to light conditions 12-15kns wind and bay/river runs, but for me at 80 kgs and 61 years and in light wind ocean conditions it got me into the paddle DW game !

MidAtlanticFoil
701 posts
12 Jul 2024 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Much like WIndoc, I have both wings, but I'm 67kgs. I have many of the same findings as him. I've enjoyed the 1675 learning to flat water pop up and it has helped me learning to pop up in the bumps. I've found that I need to run the 1675 around 2-4 cm back from the 1080. The 1675 is very settings specific in the bumps and I'm still sorting that out. It tends to have a mind of its own and at my weight I have to follow it, where as with the smaller foils, I'm in complete control.

I went SUPing in the 'surf' for the first time last weekend - waves were barely breaking - with my DWP SUP and the 1080 and had a blast. I went from barely being able to stand - backwash and reverb off the jetty - to actually catching a few and linking multiple waves.

I was out in 3-4 mile fetch bay conditions yesterday SUP dw practicing and switched from 1675 to the 1080 and was surprised how close I was to getting up. I realized after the fact that I hadn't moved the mast up.

KOBO - I want to know what fuse/tail/shim combo you are running with the 1675. I'm pretty close to giving up with it in the bumps, at my weight at least. I may demo the 1350 this weekend.

To the OP, I would say if your primary target at the moment is winging, and you get winds consistently over 10-12mph, then the 1080 is the ticket. If you are really more looking at dockstarting and flat water SUP, the the 1675 (or 1350) would be the call. If it's a blend of the two, then the apf1350 may be the ticket.

I can wing the 1675 with a DW board in almost no wind. Not the most fun (compared to my favorite conditions), but the combo makes it possible. Great workout!

kobo
NSW, 1092 posts
12 Jul 2024 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

I'm running the 1675 with 60 fuse and 220 glide tail no shim ,I started with the 180 tail and it just nosedived so I bought the 202 and that fixed the nosedive but the 220 is faster and glides better in the bumps than the 202 . I also use a 7'3 x23 Sunova DW board ,foil slammed full forward and I suspect I need the 220 tail to create enough front foot pressure because of the track position on the Sunova. I struggled for 6 sessions to be able to turn the 1675 and be in control of it and was about to give up ,but to my surprise I can totally crank turns on it now especially at the optimal speed , just needed time on that foil to learn it. It's a light wind DW machine, I also have an 1180 for when conditions get better but I can't see myself getting rid of the 1675 anytime soon even if I just keep it for smaller days.

LorenzoCA
6 posts
12 Jul 2024 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Killer information and feedback mates! Just what I was looking for. Many thanks!

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Help! Armstrong HS1080 or APF1675" started by LorenzoCA