Ozone Flow 2024

Created by Velocicraptor 5 months ago, 12 Mar 2024
Velocicraptor
619 posts
12 Mar 2024 2:04AM
Thumbs Up

Ozone Flow just released.
www.mackiteboarding.com/2024-ozone-flow-wing/

Looks like they improved several aspects of the Flux (which is a great wing) including a longer front handle and semi rigid luff handle. Unclear whether the materials on the Flow are the same as the Flux or not. Also notice one fewer panel section on these vs the Flux (maybe due to the reduced span). Havent seen weight posted yet.

Interesting that they market it as both wave and freestyle. The Flux is good at both of these disciplines, but the new leading edge handle looks like a huge improvement for wave.

My guess is that they will retire the Wasp and focus on the Fly, Flow, Flux, and Fusion. Very curious what the Flux v2 is going to look like (anyone have any intel?). Already have a 5.7 Flux v1 and I'm likely to fill out my quiver with a 4.3 and 3, and not sure whether to go Flux or Flow.

northy1
434 posts
12 Mar 2024 2:22AM
Thumbs Up

great find - curious to understand how the Flow Vs Flux is positioned....my impression is that the intention for the flux was as a freerace /freeride wing (the Ozone mkting seemed to intially suggest this), but in practice the Flux seems to have more utility / be loved across the wavey spectrum as well...so interesting to see how they will differ or do they make the Flux more flat water oriented? Sorry heard no insights into the V2

Wingdinger
7 posts
12 Mar 2024 4:00AM
Thumbs Up

I don't think Ozone have a yearly release schedule like some of the other brands. Instead they upgrade versions as and when required. Thats not to say there isn't a V2 Flux on the horizon, just that its not a yearly release cycle so you can't assume that there is going to be one at this time of year.

Velocicraptor
619 posts
12 Mar 2024 4:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wingdinger said..
I don't think Ozone have a yearly release schedule like some of the other brands. Instead they upgrade versions as and when required. Thats not to say there isn't a V2 Flux on the horizon, just that its not a yearly release cycle so you can't assume that there is going to be one at this time of year.

If you look at the Wasp, they have consistently released a new version annually. It would be great if they made the Flux with this new leading edge handle and maybe the longer front handle too.

Velocicraptor
619 posts
19 Mar 2024 2:12AM
Thumbs Up

Confirmed that the Flow is replacing the Wasp. There is also a Flux v2 coming in a couple of months, which will have the longer handle and firmer luff handle.

My sense is that the Flow is more of an intermediate / advanced wing with sheet and go power and lift while the Flux is going to be the advanced / expert wing with more finesse and upwind power. From what I hear you should be able to ride the Flow smaller than the Flux, which is part of what could make the Flow the preferred wing for wave and freestyle.

steperniconi
5 posts
20 Mar 2024 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Velocicraptor said..
Confirmed that the Flow is replacing the Wasp. There is also a Flux v2 coming in a couple of months, which will have the longer handle and firmer luff handle.

My sense is that the Flow is more of an intermediate / advanced wing with sheet and go power and lift while the Flux is going to be the advanced / expert wing with more finesse and upwind power. From what I hear you should be able to ride the Flow smaller than the Flux, which is part of what could make the Flow the preferred wing for wave and freestyle.

are you sure?

Velocicraptor
619 posts
20 Mar 2024 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
steperniconi said..

Velocicraptor said..

are you sure?

About what part? Personally I haven't laid hands or eyes on either wing in the flesh, but the Flux v2 info came from the manufacturer, so I have no reason to doubt it. Flow feedback came from riders who have ridden it.

steperniconi
5 posts
20 Mar 2024 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

ok tks

Velocicraptor
619 posts
9 Apr 2024 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Ozone Flow is now officially launched on the website
ozonekites.com/wing/wings/flow/

Interesting that there is no mention of 125g Dacron that is used on the frame of the Flux. Sounds like the Flow may be more conventional Dacron? Also no mention of the performance canopy material used on the leading and trailing edge of the Flux - they mention conventional canopy materials on the Flow. Would be kind of surprising if those two materials didn't make it to the Flow.

Mikedubs
201 posts
10 Apr 2024 1:27AM
Thumbs Up

Interestingly the 4.3m flow is showing 200g heavier than the 4.3m flux??

Velocicraptor
619 posts
10 Apr 2024 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mikedubs said..
Interestingly the 4.3m flow is showing 200g heavier than the 4.3m flux??

I bet its the longer handles. The flux handles feel kind of heavy. The frame material the Flux uses may also be lighter.

Ursus
27 posts
15 May 2024 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Any Reviews out there?

DeMiDa
9 posts
16 May 2024 2:45AM
Thumbs Up

Could test the 5.7 and 4.3. Has a very good low end and overall performance. The canopy feels tighter compared to the flux. When you pump or a gust hit , the flow pulls more to the top. The flux goes more forward and faster upwind. Jumping and flagging out feels super natural. The longer front handle is also nice for riding with one hand. it's definitely an easier wing compared to the flux. I replaced my 5m flux with 4.3 flow. I will keep the 3.6 Flux for more than 15kn.

Velocicraptor
619 posts
16 May 2024 3:00AM
Thumbs Up

so you think you can ride the Flow one size smaller than the Flux? How is the top end?

DeMiDa
9 posts
16 May 2024 3:41AM
Thumbs Up

Im used to ride small wings, even in lighter wind. I can pump the 4,3 better than a 5. So I can use both in the same wind range. Didn't test the top end much. If the winds picks up I usually switch to a smaller wing.

IWB
210 posts
16 May 2024 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ursus said..
Any Reviews out there?

I have used the 5m and 3.6m Flow serval times now in light to medium strength winds and super impressed with the performance and handling. Flying the wing from the front LE handle or one handed off of the strut front handle has become even easier as the wing is extremely balanced. The low end power is very good. Spinning the wing overhead when gybing is effortless. The new waist leash has a very robust buckle and the new bag while a little bigger is to accommodate the handles, is very nicely designed.

Velocicraptor
619 posts
16 May 2024 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IWB said..

Ursus said..
Any Reviews out there?

I have used the 5m and 3.6m Flow serval times now in light to medium strength winds and super impressed with the performance and handling. Flying the wing from the front LE handle or one handed off of the strut front handle has become even easier as the wing is extremely balanced. The low end power is very good. Spinning the wing overhead when gybing is effortless. The new waist leash has a very robust buckle and the new bag while a little bigger is to accommodate the handles, is very nicely designed.

Thanks. What is your weight and what wind range were you getting out of those sizes? Any comparisons with the Flux?

IWB
210 posts
17 May 2024 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Velocicraptor said..

IWB said..

Ursus said..
Any Reviews out there?

Thanks. What is your weight and what wind range were you getting out of those sizes? Any comparisons with the Flux?

Sorry no comparisons with the Flux. Used the 5m Flow in winds from 10th to 16kts and the 3.6m in 17-23kts. A very rigid design with a light floaty feel when flying overhead or flagging out, but a balanced solid feel when loading up.

IWB
210 posts
17 May 2024 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Velocicraptor said..

IWB said..

Ursus said..
Any Reviews out there?

Sorry no comparisons with the Flux. Used the 5m Flow in winds from 10th to 16kts and the 3.6m in 17-23kts. A very rigid design with a light floaty feel when flying overhead or flagging out, but a balanced solid feel when loading up.

mirza5883
4 posts
18 May 2024 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Have two sessions on 4.3m Flow so far, both at Crissy in 8g16 kts on sensor but probably more wind outside. Coming from 5.5 Mode and I've been trying a different foil, so not a great comparison.

- The (smaller) Flow is a lot more maneuverable and easier to handle than the (larger) Mode. I can goof around trying maneuvers and grab the Flow to recover, whereas the Mode powers up and pulls you off your feet if you angle it wrong, frequently gets in your way, or rotates the wrong way. The one handed flying off the bottom of the front handle is pretty neat, super balanced, it's almost like kite foiling relaxed with one hand on the bar. Flow wing tips bounce off the water really well, so far best I've tried. Flow gets out of the way a lot better when flagged.

- The bigger Mode definitely has more pull and grunt, both static and when pumping. The smaller Flow pumps easier & faster, it doesn't catch wing tips and doesn't pull me off balance like the Mode. I think I'm ultimately getting similar low end from them because of the better pumping.

- Going upwind strapped in, the Flow wants to pull downwind a bit even after I tried to adjust the strap to balance forward, whereas the Mode accelerates upwind through gusts. Generally I think upwind angle on the Flow is pretty good, but the Mode is a little better behaved - you can lock in and relax on a long upwind tack with the Mode. The Mode has amazing top end and I suspect better than the smaller Flow based on gusts encountered, but haven't tried it in stronger winds yet.

So far I'm having a great time with the 4.3 Flow and think it replaces my 5.5 Mode for all conditions I ride in, but I don't think I'm blown away like I was when I first switched from Strike to Mode. I do wonder if they could have made a better premium wave wing by going up market instead of positioning the Flow between the Fly and the Flux.

mirza5883
4 posts
22 May 2024 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Got to ride 4.3m Flow today at 23g27 kts. Felt great overall, a little bit of occasional trailing edge flutter, upwind remains pretty good, no backwinding or resetting to top or other problems. Played with the harness attachment a bit more and it's much more stable driving upwind. The front harness line has to be attached half way up the front handle, where I feel it gets in the way a bit. Still experimenting.

donpo
2 posts
7 Jun 2024 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone a comparison of the Flow to duotone Units? I have a V1 dlab 6m unit and 2022 4.5m Unit. Thinking a change to Ozone flow 4.3 and 5.7. 90 kg intermediate rider. The flow looks a nice wing but so does the Unit 2024 versions

Ursus
27 posts
12 Jun 2024 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Me too

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Ozone Flow 2024" started by Velocicraptor