Forums > Wing Foiling General

Prone foil on Naish Mach 1 1100?

Created by MikeyFoil 3 months ago, 30 May 2024
MikeyFoil
2 posts
30 May 2024 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone, I was hoping for some advice around starting prone foiling with the foil from my wing setup. I just picked up a secondhand Naish Mach 1 1100 series 26, 280HA tail on a C35 75cm mast. It was very fast out winging yesterday in difficult conditions but a less glide than I was expecting, and I couldn't get it pumping nicely on the bumps (although that could be skill).

I was hoping to also use this foil for learning to prone foil. I'm 75kg and have a 4'6" 36l Wavechaser board. I already can surf and wing. Is it worth trying to prone with this setup or for prone do I really need to get a new 2024 Naish HA setup for better glide and pump? Or go another brand? Cheers, Mike

Windgenuity
NSW, 644 posts
Site Sponsor
30 May 2024 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MikeyFoil said..
Hi everyone, I was hoping for some advice around starting prone foiling with the foil from my wing setup. I just picked up a secondhand Naish Mach 1 1100 series 26, 280HA tail on a C35 75cm mast. It was very fast out winging yesterday in difficult conditions but a less glide than I was expecting, and I couldn't get it pumping nicely on the bumps (although that could be skill).

I was hoping to also use this foil for learning to prone foil. I'm 75kg and have a 4'6" 36l Wavechaser board. I already can surf and wing. Is it worth trying to prone with this setup or for prone do I really need to get a new 2024 Naish HA setup for better glide and pump? Or go another brand? Cheers, Mike

Hey Mikey,

The Mach-1 foils are largely designed around control and maintaining a high average speed (Ideal for Wing Racing or speed winging). Pumpability is not really a high priority in the design, however you will be surprised how well it does pump when kept at it preferred speed. But again it is designed to be driven by power like a wing or even on a wave, not really self sustaining like pump.

It is definitely pronable, but you will find a HA an easier journey for sure. "Surf" fois offer up a different style of lift and the HA's the ability to move/carry from the power source (i.e. pump). But your weight is quite light and the 1100 will provide a reasonable lift to pump against.

There is so many variables within this question, so it is near impossible to generate an ultimate answer without knowing more (types of waves you wish to ride, are you wanting to pump/connect more or turn carve more, your fitness, you skill level of pumping, etc....).

I think the best angle I can provide is, the Mach-1 1100 will work, definitely. If your are limited on financial resources, then go for it. But if you have the ability to obtain another foil into your quiver, adding an Ultra Jet of HA will inevitably pay dividends in your learning curve and experience.

I definitely do not recommend going to another brand

Bias I know, but hope it helps a little.

Regards,

JB

tintifax
VIC, 52 posts
30 May 2024 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't got into prone foiling yet, but i have pumped this foil multiple times letting the wing go and was always surprised that i was able to pump it "forever" regarding the span and with having 90+ kg onboard.
And it is a nice carver with a really low stall speed, at least for winging. One of the best Allround Wing-Foils i have tested. (no affiliation and i am not even a naish gear rider anymore. But at the time i was on Naish-gear, JB's advices were always spot on)

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Prone foil on Naish Mach 1 1100?" started by MikeyFoil