Forums > Wing Foiling General

SABFoil Razor W980 Review

Created by ActionSportsWA > 9 months ago, 4 Mar 2023
ActionSportsWA
WA, 976 posts
4 Mar 2023 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Frothers,

This is a review which I posted on a FB group a few weeks ago before the launch of the new range.

The powers that be at SABFoil have given me permission to post my review on the all new Razor 980. Thanks Jimmy, et al
My background is:- I'm a competent foiler since 2017 in all disciplines. 100kg, 6'3" and mostly downwind and surf. I've downwinded (in order), the W1100, W1000, W1110, W1350-L and I've been totally in love with the W1150-L for the entire summer. This wing had given my unbelievable performance and changed the way I downwind for the better. I Downwind in Perth, Western Australia where we get daily winds of 18-23 knots and as strong at 30+ knots on the open Indian Ocean. This produces up to 2m seas and 4m swell. Our standard run is 15km from South to North. The CB to SB run.

I normally DW on a 80lt board, 3.5m wing, W1150-L with M83 and S399. On the particular day of test, wind was 15 knots, seas to 1m, a lot of weed in first half, then no weed during second half.
Usually the golden rule when doing a race or review is not to change too much, so naturally I changed everything . Switching to the much shorter 603K kite fuse and a 5.2m wing which I haven't used in a year, combined with the foot straps now being 2" too far forward which messed with my trim, things weren't "optimal".

Honestly, I was a little apprehensive about trying the W980 because I've loved the W1150-L Levi for so long and I was a bit afraid I wouldn't like the W980 after having pined for this new wing since first hearing about it. The W980 is described as a fast free foil and Downwind wing, similar, but not the same as the W1000 which is a race wing. The light weight of the 603K fuse with the seemingly tiny by comparison W980 made the foil noticeably lighter and definitely less stable when climbing aboard. It was easier to get out through the shore break with 33% less surface area on the wing but I managed to climb up easy enough and with a few short pumps of the wing and foil and I was away foiling.

The take off was a lot less disciplined to that of the 1150 Levi which needed care to go super slow and level before a single pump onto the wing, instead the W980 had a soft and forgiving easier take off. It took a few pumps but the smaller wing felt way easier and more forgiving despite taking more effort, even in the lightish wind. Instantly noticeable was the more agile wing, way more responsive and nimble, the speed felt similar, and realistically, any foil is fast enough for downwinding as we seldom go over 15 knots board speed. At lower speed I could feel the wing "sink" a little, whereas the Levi holds altitude at almost any speed. As soon as you pick up speed it goes straight back to precision responsiveness.

The low speed stall is very soft and "squishy" with no violent drop which was great. It didn't carry the speed through a low speed bank quite as well as the Levi either but still turned and managed to speed up without stalling. The pumping is fine at speed and requires a slightly different technique to the Levi as you'd expect, but at low speeds i could feel the lack of efficiency as it squished through the water. The Leviathan is definitely the pumping machine. But by far and away, the most important thing for me was the glide and actual efficiency of gliding through the waves and troughs looking for lifts and drops.

It took me over half the run to get comfortable on it and the first half being full of weed was not the best conditions to get a good feel for it, but after the Trigg point where the weed eased up and the runners became more groomed and regimented, the W980 was allowed to show me it's true potential. The waves weren't big but I had many of the longest glides I have ever had, easily gliding from wave to wave, linking troughs and riding the occasional swell wave too. My downwind buddy asked why I got so far ahead of him, all I could think was I was in the zone, the Razor was in its element and giving me an incredible experience. I believe the difference is the reduced drag which just lets it keep going on the waves. Knowing it is a fast wing, I gave it a quick 15 second squirt cross wind and sat comfortably at 20 knots (38 kph), for sure it had more but in the rough ocean, was all I was happy to go to.

Summary is the Razor W980 is better than what I had hoped for, a sublime downwind wing and will now replace my 1150 Levi in anything above 15 knots. I will change boards to get the foot straps right and try again on Saturday afternoon to confirm my initial findings, but I'm really very happy. I still love my Levi and it will certainly remain in my quiver, but I now have a faster and better weapon to use for when it's windier and bigger conditions. I strongly recommend getting a demo of this wing if you can but it's a safe bet in my opinion. I have other sizes to try also but will save that for another time.

DM

Rewind
NSW, 80 posts
4 Mar 2023 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Great review Darren. These Razor foils sound very interesting. Definitely keen for a demo.

I personally appreciate that you're posting your reviews and feedback as ActionSportsWA. It identifies you as a business so we know that you're review may be a little biased towards a brand you know and sell.

There are increasing number of undercover businesses, team riders and influencers 'reviewing' products on Seabreeze without fessing up to their affiliations.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 976 posts
4 Mar 2023 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers mate,

Happy to stand behind my reviews. As always, my posts are not to get you to buy on my say so, they are to encourage you to demo to see for yourself. Also keen to hear if my reviews are on point, my experiences are obviously subjective ??

Peace all ??

omg
281 posts
5 Mar 2023 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Darren, that's super helpful review, esp. as you compare the wings between the same brand!
What's your view on 1350 Levi, is it only a pump/dock start foil and does it provide anything better than the 1150 Levi in winging (in light winds obviously), please?

Thanks very much!

ActionSportsWA
WA, 976 posts
5 Mar 2023 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hi OMG,

I have ridden the 1350-L for downwinding. I coupled it with the SABFoil T98 Albatross. At 98 liters it made me neutral buoyant.

Wind was 12-15 knots, wing was 4.5 Duotone Slick SLS. I used the Kraken 83 mast and 399 tail.
Water starting was easy, just two pumps of the wing and one solid pump of the foil and I was away. The W1350-L is phenomenal in that it caught and easily rode EVERY tiny bump, it's glide is absolutely ludicrous and I found myself amazed at the length of every run in such light conditions.

the turning of the 1350-L is, as expected, not amazing but if you change your technique to adapt to the wing, I found it reasonably agile. The trick is to start a banking turn and then twist at the hips to flat turn the wing in a yaw turn.
pumping over the waves in front was super easy and the technique isn't what I thought it would be, it's actually easier and less tiring, more like a double leg pump but slightly out of sync. It stays high on the mast and the glide decays very slowly.
Ideally, I would recommend the stiffer pump specific mast if pump is your thing, but I didn't notice any real flexing or twist that was detrimental for downwinding.
The 1350 is amazing. Would I buy one? Yes, if I lived in a less windy place, or if pumping flat water was my jam, otherwise, the 1150-L does such an incredible job for DW that I wouldn't need a 1350-L.
If I was DW paddling, I'd certainly go with the 1350-L with hi modulus pump mast.
it's a great wing to demo to see if it's you're cup of tea, even if just to see what a crazy glide wing is all about.

I hope this helps.
DM

Taavi
257 posts
6 Mar 2023 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
omg said..
Darren, that's super helpful review, esp. as you compare the wings between the same brand!
What's your view on 1350 Levi, is it only a pump/dock start foil and does it provide anything better than the 1150 Levi in winging (in light winds obviously), please?

Thanks very much!

The 1350 works just fine for these desperate light wind days. I mean, a formula board with a 10 m2 sail is only moving occasionally, and I am already "fully" powered with a 3.6 m2 wing. Expect rather different riding characteristics though. When you slow down too much that foil just wants to kill you : )

BritWinger
98 posts
27 Mar 2023 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

I have the Sabfoil 1350 for flat water SUP start/pumping, but want to get either the 1150-L, or the Razor 980 for light wind winging and SUP foiling. I'm 77kg.

The Leviathan range say they are for SUP, but the Razors don't. Any reason for this, and which should I go for?

FlyingPeew
79 posts
22 Jun 2023 2:46AM
Thumbs Up

Was comparing the razor 980 and wl1150 as well. Not much review other than WA. i decided to go for the wl1150.
i want to go downwind with a paddle. The extra width adds balance, from what I've heard. And I already have a f703 fuse. I'm just an average/ok foiler and believe there's something with size and carrying capacity that would make the larger my best bet.
maybe tomorrow I can go for the maiden voyage on the 1150.

lobodomar
14 posts
21 Sep 2023 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ActionSportsWA said..
Hi Frothers,

This is a review which I posted on a FB group a few weeks ago before the launch of the new range.

The powers that be at SABFoil have given me permission to post my review on the all new Razor 980. Thanks Jimmy, et al
My background is:- I'm a competent foiler since 2017 in all disciplines. 100kg, 6'3" and mostly downwind and surf. I've downwinded (in order), the W1100, W1000, W1110, W1350-L and I've been totally in love with the W1150-L for the entire summer. This wing had given my unbelievable performance and changed the way I downwind for the better. I Downwind in Perth, Western Australia where we get daily winds of 18-23 knots and as strong at 30+ knots on the open Indian Ocean. This produces up to 2m seas and 4m swell. Our standard run is 15km from South to North. The CB to SB run.

I normally DW on a 80lt board, 3.5m wing, W1150-L with M83 and S399. On the particular day of test, wind was 15 knots, seas to 1m, a lot of weed in first half, then no weed during second half.
Usually the golden rule when doing a race or review is not to change too much, so naturally I changed everything . Switching to the much shorter 603K kite fuse and a 5.2m wing which I haven't used in a year, combined with the foot straps now being 2" too far forward which messed with my trim, things weren't "optimal".

Honestly, I was a little apprehensive about trying the W980 because I've loved the W1150-L Levi for so long and I was a bit afraid I wouldn't like the W980 after having pined for this new wing since first hearing about it. The W980 is described as a fast free foil and Downwind wing, similar, but not the same as the W1000 which is a race wing. The light weight of the 603K fuse with the seemingly tiny by comparison W980 made the foil noticeably lighter and definitely less stable when climbing aboard. It was easier to get out through the shore break with 33% less surface area on the wing but I managed to climb up easy enough and with a few short pumps of the wing and foil and I was away foiling.

The take off was a lot less disciplined to that of the 1150 Levi which needed care to go super slow and level before a single pump onto the wing, instead the W980 had a soft and forgiving easier take off. It took a few pumps but the smaller wing felt way easier and more forgiving despite taking more effort, even in the lightish wind. Instantly noticeable was the more agile wing, way more responsive and nimble, the speed felt similar, and realistically, any foil is fast enough for downwinding as we seldom go over 15 knots board speed. At lower speed I could feel the wing "sink" a little, whereas the Levi holds altitude at almost any speed. As soon as you pick up speed it goes straight back to precision responsiveness.

The low speed stall is very soft and "squishy" with no violent drop which was great. It didn't carry the speed through a low speed bank quite as well as the Levi either but still turned and managed to speed up without stalling. The pumping is fine at speed and requires a slightly different technique to the Levi as you'd expect, but at low speeds i could feel the lack of efficiency as it squished through the water. The Leviathan is definitely the pumping machine. But by far and away, the most important thing for me was the glide and actual efficiency of gliding through the waves and troughs looking for lifts and drops.

It took me over half the run to get comfortable on it and the first half being full of weed was not the best conditions to get a good feel for it, but after the Trigg point where the weed eased up and the runners became more groomed and regimented, the W980 was allowed to show me it's true potential. The waves weren't big but I had many of the longest glides I have ever had, easily gliding from wave to wave, linking troughs and riding the occasional swell wave too. My downwind buddy asked why I got so far ahead of him, all I could think was I was in the zone, the Razor was in its element and giving me an incredible experience. I believe the difference is the reduced drag which just lets it keep going on the waves. Knowing it is a fast wing, I gave it a quick 15 second squirt cross wind and sat comfortably at 20 knots (38 kph), for sure it had more but in the rough ocean, was all I was happy to go to.

Summary is the Razor W980 is better than what I had hoped for, a sublime downwind wing and will now replace my 1150 Levi in anything above 15 knots. I will change boards to get the foot straps right and try again on Saturday afternoon to confirm my initial findings, but I'm really very happy. I still love my Levi and it will certainly remain in my quiver, but I now have a faster and better weapon to use for when it's windier and bigger conditions. I strongly recommend getting a demo of this wing if you can but it's a safe bet in my opinion. I have other sizes to try also but will save that for another time.

DM

Still using the razor 980? Could you please compare it to the w1110 (now discontinued by sab)

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
25 Jul 2024 3:31AM
Thumbs Up

I'm also keen to hear any comparisons to the w1110 as I'm trying to find my ideal setups.
I've currently got the w867 on kraken

but I need to Aquire kraken fuselage if I want to use the w1110 and/or w980 etc.

I've also got 899 which is a great option when waves smaller, or not as windy.
I think it's prob time to sell:-

w1250
w950
w799

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"SABFoil Razor W980 Review" started by ActionSportsWA