Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

KA Sail Calsurf Speed Challenge End of Event

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 9 Apr 2009
Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
10 Apr 2009 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

With the event video now finished it's time for the thanks to all that took part and helped out.

i'd like to thanks everyone that competed, joined in and made the event a memorable time.

firstly thanks to all this years sponsors.

AMAC - KA Sail - for the KA wave boom, KA Kult sail, hats and lanyards
Pete - Caloundra wind and surf - for the boom bag, NXS board
Laurie - Seabreeze - for the sms vouchers
Dieter - Sunshine Coast Sailboards - for the select casper speed fin
Dylan - KA72 speed reader - for the software and IT
Alberto - MFC fins - for the 2k wave fin

secondly, thanks to everyone that helped out.

Geoff - for joining the organising committee, securing the barge, supplying the rescue boat and all of the advice along the way.

Ray - for manning the rescue boat and supplying the second rescue boat.

Dylan - for all of the video work, sourcing the sausages on day 2 and keeping and sorting all of the times out each night

Sue - for manning the binoculars on the course

Glynn and Phil - for cooking all of the food at the presentation

Burrum Sands - for providing the facilities at speed HQ

Ray's auto and marine - for supplying the barge and cooking out on the speed strip

My wife - for driving to hervey bay to buy all of the food.

thanks also to everyone that helped during the event and those i may have ommitted from above.

finally - congrats to all of this years winners including the lucky draw winners of the NXS board and KA sail. (full report in ozwindsurf)

i'd also like to offer my apologies to the ladies. an early version of the event notice indicated a 2 sec peak category for the ladies division. unfortunately this was an error in the original flyer which should have said 5x10 sec peak as indicated in the event rules. rest assured next year i'll get it right.

some more photos

/images/misc/forum-image-missing.gif

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
10 Apr 2009 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

Great Vid Justin and great event

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
10 Apr 2009 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Haggar said...

Great Vid Justin and great event

cheer mate,

Dylan shot most of the video, the computer did the first 75% of the editting automatically , i just added the last 25% of edits and did a small amount of the filming. (gotta love movie maker auto movie function )

i've uploaded to http://exposureroom.com/429f3717ca5640db94e8bc8fa299818e/ also as it is better quality and can be downloaded.

plus i put the vid on the windwanderers facebook page.

Dylan72
QLD, 633 posts
10 Apr 2009 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

The hi-def version is very nice. We've already bored one (non-sailing) visitor with it.

Do you have last year's video too? (I really should check before asking, but feeling a bit lazy today...)

evets
WA, 685 posts
11 Apr 2009 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

awseome video, thanks for preparing and posting.
Watched Aus251 (Dave M?) gybing again and again. Truly artistic. If I am right about who it is can he not be encouraged back to posting on GTC? I imagine he is competitive at all divisions, I would love to see his alphas

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
11 Apr 2009 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

evets said...

awseome video, thanks for preparing and posting.
Watched Aus251 (Dave M?) gybing again and again. Truly artistic. If I am right about who it is can he not be encouraged back to posting on GTC? I imagine he is competitive at all divisions, I would love to see his alphas

Hi Evets Dave M is a very good sailer 2nd in the state titles recently and is on the Board Crazy Boys team unfortunately he doesn't seem that interested in GPS.

Ta Vando

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
12 Apr 2009 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

dave certainly is a great sailor alright. i asked both him and john if they could do some gybes in front of the cam so we had some extra footage...... holly smokes did he light things up. those freestyle tricks he is doing on a race sail at over 30 knots. awesome!!!!!

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
12 Apr 2009 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Dylan72 said...

The hi-def version is very nice. We've already bored one (non-sailing) visitor with it.

Do you have last year's video too? (I really should check before asking, but feeling a bit lazy today...)

you did a great job with the camera dylan. i think even the pc was smiling as it did the edits. once i get the tv coverage i'll do a manual edit and include it.

also, this years vid the quality could have been better quality still. i ripped the mp4 to avi so i could use it in movie maker. MM then rips it to wmv on export. so that 3 recompresses. once the tv footage is in and i do a manual edit it will be done in adobe elements so hopefully no needless recompressing.

last years footage is on youtube, unfortunately youtube rips the quality out of things but if i can find the archive i'll upload it again to exposure room.

p.s i think my wife is a wave sailor at heart. after i had encouraged her to watch it for the 10th time she said, but they just sail up and back. i think that's code for back and forth.

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
14 Apr 2009 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

some sic ways to turn by aus 251

mkseven
QLD, 2314 posts
14 Apr 2009 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...
p.s i think my wife is a wave sailor at heart. after i had encouraged her to watch it for the 10th time she said, but they just sail up and back. i think that's code for back and forth.

Yep the highlight of any speed vid is the crashes, where are the crashes

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
14 Apr 2009 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

great vid! and by the sounds of it a great event as well!
burrum looks unbelievable...even looks flat a hundred meters off shore its now on my wish list of places to sail(as well as the pit) before i take the big catapult out of life!

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
14 Apr 2009 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

bugger i don't have any vids of the crashes. i can name and shame though.

especially one person who was picked up first due to a broken uni.

1 boat went out to retreived sailor and rig the other boat getting the board which went the other way. everythiung and one was brought back to the shore to discover said sailor had neglected to actually click the euro pin into the extension.

another person sheered a uni cup clean off with his leg and then put his foot through the underside of his board.

anyways, hope both you are feeling better.

hi snides, i've been there twice and only sailed for 15 minutes in total. first year i didn't take any extra days off so didn't have time, this year i broke a footstrap on the only board i took after 15 minutes on the water.

next year i WILL SAIL!!!!

fitz66
QLD, 575 posts
15 Apr 2009 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Some people are so careless, and yes my shoulder is still hurting from catapult later in the day. Maybe you shouldn't have given me my board back.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
15 Apr 2009 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

that's a bugger your shoulder is still sore. i hope it's better soon mate.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
16 Apr 2009 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

oh the embaressment.

channel 7 coverage.

http://exposureroom.com/7b12be5a1d7d4e9bb7c51c2e89b8bfff/

all shot on the light wind day of the event.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
16 Apr 2009 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt,
Quite a good news article for our little known sport - the general punters would be none the wiser that we weren't going fast. Although did you see how fast that guy with the Code Red was going

BTW - what were you and Mikey chatting about in the background to Vando's piece. Nice ambiguity as to whether Vando broke the Australian Nm record racing from Brisbane to Burrum. That's one long broad reach.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
16 Apr 2009 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

sausage said...

Although did you see how fast that guy with the Code Red was going

Hmm Apparently we look alike sausage [}:)]I recon im much better looking

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
16 Apr 2009 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

vando said...

sausage said...

Funny you say that Vando. I showed my wife Justin's video of the event and every time you featured she asked if that was me. I told her it wasn't because the sailor was going too slow

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
16 Apr 2009 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

sausage said...

vando said...

sausage said...

Funny you say that Vando. I showed my wife Justin's video of the event and every time you featured she asked if that was me. I told her it wasn't because the sailor was going too slow
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa cough cough

choco
SA, 4032 posts
16 Apr 2009 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

sausage said...

vando said...

sausage said...

Which video? was that the blue movie you guys made...i heard Sausage was up for the part

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
16 Apr 2009 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

choco said...

sausage said...

vando said...

sausage said...

Which video? was that the blue movie you guys made...i heard Sausage was up for the part

Yeah but that's the one that Vando was in where he was much quicker than me

This is a photo I took during shooting. That's Choco behind the curtain. Took two hours to unstick him from the damn thing.

choco
SA, 4032 posts
16 Apr 2009 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

LMAO classic

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
16 Apr 2009 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

that's all a bit cheesey sausage.

now for somehting a little more serious.

mikey and i were going to do some shadowing but developed performance anxiety so we ended up just loitering in the background .....

actually we were discussing the weather.

and very happy with the coverage. 2 minutes on prime time is a great outcome. the guys were really happy with the day also and their work.

i still haven't received channel 9 stuff but i'll do up a dvd of photos, videos etc and send them out to everyone for sharing etc. photos won't include borders or watermarks.

cheers.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
19 Apr 2009 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

pic of speed HQ taken on the tuesday before coming home. wind was 15 knots dead onshore, white caps out the back. perfect for blasting along the shoreline in crystal clear water.

oh i miss burrum.

sorry for the double post, i tweaked a few things and uploaded again.

choco
SA, 4032 posts
19 Apr 2009 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...

pic of speed HQ taken on the tuesday before coming home. wind was 15 knots dead onshore, white caps out the back. perfect for blasting along the shoreline in crystal clear water.

oh i miss burrum.

sorry for the double post, i tweaked a few things and uploaded again.

no wonder i'm depressed being back home

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
19 Apr 2009 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

me to mate and i live in qld.

next year i will remove that pesky palm frond

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"KA Sail Calsurf Speed Challenge End of Event" started by Gestalt