Forums > Windsurfing General

Windsurfing Van

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 10 Aug 2009
jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
10 Aug 2009 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

After just 2 seasons I can now confirm that windsurfing has taken over my life, The final transition happened just prior to winter when I sold my car and purchased a van. The conversion is now complete and I'm ready for the new season to start, the fitout took a weekend, a few beers and about $400.
The van in the current fitout can store upto 4 boards, 4 masts, 3 booms, 6 sails and all the other associated bits and pieces as well as having room for a bed.

Bring on the summer seabreeze.

laff77
NSW, 272 posts
10 Aug 2009 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet ride, looks the goods Where does the bed fit in though?

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
10 Aug 2009 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Jason, just a tip, and you may have fitted it already, one lad over here, purchased a pool liner type cover, and fitted it to the floor of his van, and up the sides a few inches. Stopped any water rusting out the base, and easy to clean out without causing damage. Park up hill, and hose out
Yours looks a good set up.

AUS1111
WA, 3619 posts
10 Aug 2009 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

We windsurfers are among the few types of people who drool over other people's vans.

To us, a nice VW Transporter is way more desirable than a brand new 911!

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
10 Aug 2009 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

You've done a very lovely and professional job there.
Does the bed go on the roof?

hardie
WA, 4081 posts
10 Aug 2009 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
10 Aug 2009 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Nice, very organized !!! Heres mine.

I've actually tidied it up a bit since then to fit more stuff in.....

windykid
QLD, 368 posts
10 Aug 2009 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Richiefish said...

Nice, very organized !!! Heres mine.

I've actually tidied it up a bit since then to fit more stuff in.....

board stealer
i have the same one. the nash that is

busterwa
3777 posts
10 Aug 2009 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

hey Richie the only thing that van is missing is empty beer bottles .!!!!!

AusMoz
QLD, 1437 posts
10 Aug 2009 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

hey JH2703

NICE VAN - Black Magic!!!!

Have you been windsurfing on Lake Burleigh Griffin when it snows?(that is one experience i will never forget)

GCMOZ

pepe47
WA, 1381 posts
10 Aug 2009 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Nice ride, like the organisation, easy to find things when it's like that.
no offence Richie.

Jman
VIC, 873 posts
10 Aug 2009 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Real nice, I know its early days but how do you find the Iload, is it petrol or deisel.

I have been looking at the iload myself and it seems to tick all the boxes, just the right wheel base, safe, good towing capacity, 5 year warrenty and is great to drive.

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
10 Aug 2009 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Jman, I have the turbo diesel(5 speed auto) and its been awesome...has heaps of power and is very good on petrol. I looked at the VW and the Mercs(secondhand) but decided on a new ILOAD and am very happy about my choice.
To answer some of the other question, the bed is located on the drivers side..you can see the sleeping bag in the side view. It doesn't look like there is a lot of room but i can stretch out and still not touch the equipment racks located at my feet.
As for being neat and tidy, after a weekend it looks like Richies van...Just being new I tidy it up after each sail, I'm sure it will wear off(i have a draw for the empty bottles).
During construction the floor was treated with a rust proof treatment, then rubber mat was laid, the rubber mat can be removed at anytime for a deep clean.
The whole racking system comes out in about 30 Mins if required, I can also remove the bed and this allows for the mountain bike to be loaded.....It's my all-in-one sports van, just have to pick out some mag wheels and tint the windows and drive to WA for the summer and I'm done.
GCMOZ, you must feel lucky to have been able to sail the swamp, no snow this year but last year i did get some snow flake landing on my shoulders as i was blasting along. I've never had brain freeze like that before and could swear my hands had permanently closed around the boom...oh what fun.
Thinking about these wheels, what do you think?

Ellobuddha
NSW, 625 posts
10 Aug 2009 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

JH2703,

Great setup. Very jealous. Been hearign good things from owners of the I loads. Whats the length of the cargo area. i.e. what size max mast sections can you fit/longest mal for no wind days?

Cheers,
Ello

P.C_simpson
NSW, 1489 posts
10 Aug 2009 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

definately, will look hot.. and will be a good purchase, the steel stokers will rust at the beach, no the alloys.. well that would be a good excuse..

Always wanted to build in a wind meter into the roof of my van, just park at the beach and know instanly how wind it is..

puffin
235 posts
10 Aug 2009 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Always wanted to build in a wind meter into the roof of my van, just park at the beach and know instanly how wind it is..

I put a meter on an old one piece mast, and tried to mount an extension on my bumper to do just what you're saying, but couldn't figure out a way to do it that didn't look like hell!

bobdaboarder
NSW, 184 posts
11 Aug 2009 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Go the rims for sure. What size you going for? I reckon 20 inch.

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
11 Aug 2009 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Nice job on the fitout jh...

...personally, I'd prefer Ritchie's...it sums me up better - a little dis-organised - ugly (or is that ruggedly handsome?) - and a little bit dirty!

Maybe you're a sharply dressed good looking young guy though, in that case, you got my green thumbs! haha.

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
12 Aug 2009 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Ello, the longest board I keep in the van is a 145L fanatic(was, Its now up for sale), at 268cm it fits with no dramas along the floor. I've had an SUP in there a few times but i have to put the passenger seat down for it to fit in, Good if i'm not taking anyone with me. I think i'm going to get some roof racks fitted for this reason, also to take the kayak as well.....Thankyou all for the good comments, I've ordered the wheels today.

jp747
1553 posts
12 Aug 2009 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

jh2703 that is one hell of a cool ridebut are windsurfer's in general that neatanyways still up there regards

Krisiz1
WA, 331 posts
13 Aug 2009 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

That really is a nice looking set-up! But being black does it get hot? I keep all my gear permanently in my van and I reckon some of it has deteriorated prematurely because it gets baked every day in summer, and my van is white with a whirly vent on the roof.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Windsurfing Van" started by jh2703