Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

SUPs on Planes

Created by theDoctor > 9 months ago, 4 Nov 2009
theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
4 Nov 2009 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

I always fly garuda to indonesia, except for the food and the one time I swear the pilots got lost, they're great, you can take as many boards as you want and can haggle over excess baggage fees in true indo style...

... anyways, am heading over the again in a week, this time I got given a ticket and its with JetStar... I just called to confirm and make sure I can take my SUP, cause this time thats all i'm taking, and the call centre chick I spoke to said there is a 1.9 metre length limit on surfboards..! WTF, thats like 6'3"!

surely that can't be right... the longest board you can take to indo via jet star is a 6'3"..?

does this airline only cater to package deal bogans who surf kuta beach for the one hour a day they're not drinking, running around screaming 'oi,oi,oi' or getting special massages..?

I'm over trying to deal with the call centre monkies, anyone here got any experience taking SUPs or Mals with these guys...?

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
4 Nov 2009 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

She was right...its a 6'3 on ****star...about a 9'0 on Qantas and I think a 9'10 on Virgin....basically your ****ed....don't even bother turning up with a 6'3 in a cover as you will be over length and will have to leave it behind

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
4 Nov 2009 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

No idea man... but good to know Garuda take SUPs!!

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
4 Nov 2009 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

I hate Jetstar, I only ever fly Virgin for domestic, no drama with a 9 0 SUP. Boycott em I say! Good luck with it Doc

NewcastleSUP
NSW, 250 posts
4 Nov 2009 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

Jetstar cram all luggage into cargo containers hence the size limit. Everyone else free loads the cargo into the planes belly.

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
4 Nov 2009 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Dang it..! the SUP i'm taking is 9' x 29", was super looking forward to it too, all accom paid for in places that have hot water and flushing toilets..!

look out for me on the boarder security show, i'll be the dude taking it to the check in chick and having the stand off with security whilst swinging the blade of the kialoa.

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
4 Nov 2009 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

No entirely correct:

Maximum 2.77 metres (9.1 feet) for A330 aircraft-so you're good!

www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/articles/airports-and-terminals

I think you'll find you're on an A330 to DPS from SYD.

Suckstar-shoulda' stuck with Garuda-it's worth the extra $ for less stress etc.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
4 Nov 2009 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yer I will never buy a ticket with jetstar as long as my ass points to the ground.

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
4 Nov 2009 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

loco4olas said...

No entirely correct:

Maximum 2.77 metres (9.1 feet) for A330 aircraft-so you're good!

www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/articles/airports-and-terminals

I think you'll find you're on an A330 to DPS from SYD.

Suckstar-shoulda' stuck with Garuda-it's worth the extra $ for less stress etc.

^^ its was a free ticket with accom's bar one and a bit weeks paid for, who am i to look a gift horse in the mouth...?

finally got through to an english speaking person at the jetstar call centre, max length is 2.77 mtrs, so yes looks like all is good...

then measured board, its 2.79 mtrs, so going to take a hacksaw blade and some 5min epoxy just in case they make an issue of the .02mtr

SF66
WA, 92 posts
4 Nov 2009 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

Singapore Airlines

Took a 11'2" and 9'0" SUP and a 6'3" Surfboard to Maldives no worries didn't blink an eye lid.
As long as it doesnt go over your checked luggage weight.
Great airline to deal with and no dings on the boards at the other end.
Just upgrade your checked luggage weight if you need to.

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
4 Nov 2009 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

SF66 said...

Singapore Airlines

Took a 11'2" and 9'0" SUP and a 6'3" Surfboard to Maldives no worries didn't blink an eye lid.

Qantas and Hawaiian were great 10' 4" board bag stuffed full no dramas.

bjhjames
QLD, 177 posts
4 Nov 2009 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Took a 9’4” SUP, paddle and a couple of shorties, one bag, on Malaysian to the Maldives a few weeks ago, no excess, no damage

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
4 Nov 2009 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

bjhjames said...

Took a 9’4” SUP, paddle and a couple of shorties, one bag, on Malaysian to the Maldives a few weeks ago, no excess, no damage

Did they charge you excess? We are thinking about a trip there next year.

Dee Jay
WA, 70 posts
4 Nov 2009 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone been on AirAsia with a SUP? They are the cheapest for getting to Mentawi's I've found from Perth.

cranky
440 posts
4 Nov 2009 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

I'm flying jetstar to Hawaii in April, had no probs last year with surfboard, was considering bringing back a SUP if I saw anything that turned me on, just have to keep it to below 9 foot with the size restrictions

bjhjames
QLD, 177 posts
4 Nov 2009 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

bjhjames said...

Did they charge you excess? We are thinking about a trip there next year.

No had a 30 kilo limit organized by the tour guy Louie from liquid destinations. He runs a good boat and is very good on a SUP

Janita K
QLD, 23 posts
4 Nov 2009 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

SF66 said...

Singapore Airlines

We took 2 x 12' SUPs to the Maldives last August and Singapore Airlines could not have cared less at checkin....
HOWEVER
we hung around at Changi to watch our plane being unloaded for the trip to Male and I swear you could read the body language of the luggage handlers loud and clear. When they saw our monsters coming down the conveyor belt, its like they were saying...."What the $#%@&*!!!"
I got my camera ready and actually took photos of them throwing our boards around without caring 1 iota. As soon as they saw us up in the terminal with camera in hand, eyeballing them, body language changed immediately.
Nevertheless, one board dinged on the trip over and both boards seriously dinged on the way back...so I would recommend whatever you do....
pad and protect the rails, nose and tail really really really well.
Otherwise, Singapore Airlines were fabulous.

MIKO
QLD, 408 posts
4 Nov 2009 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac said...

Yer I will never buy a ticket with jetstar as long as my ass points to the ground.

yeh im with ya probably for different reasons

Garuda + anyones a330 = a flinching A...ole while flying

mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
4 Nov 2009 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Just wack it in a cover and address it to Shapel Coby,it will make it over there!!!
robbooooooo00000ooooooooobo

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
4 Nov 2009 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac said...

i was coming back form the snow with gear, booked qantas- no problem. had a change over in sydney and had to recheck my luggage to jetstar and got hit up for extra, even though i had booked with qantas. i was furious, told the guy it's the first and last time- i've keep my word. heard so many bad stories with them- hears one i saw. people at ticket machine, it was faulty, by the time someone sorted it for them and they presented their tickets at the counter, the guy said they were too late and no refunds

bjhjames
QLD, 177 posts
4 Nov 2009 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

MIKO said...

Scotty Mac said...

yeh im with ya probably for different reasons

Garuda + anyones a330 = a flinching A...ole while flying

I am in the furniture business and one of my suppliers ships his boardroom table tops with thick molded foam sections shapped to the table edge to protect them in transit. They are perfect for board rails. You could hit them with a hammer and it would be fine, yet they are light weight.Travelled allot this year, Metawais, maldives and around oz and not one mark. If you call any of the large joinery companies in your city they should have some lying around.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
4 Nov 2009 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

hand luggage perhaps?

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
5 Nov 2009 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Roof racks? Or wind down the window and stick all but 6'3 out there?

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
5 Nov 2009 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

I hate Jetstar, I only ever fly Virgin for domestic, no drama with a 9 0 SUP. Boycott em I say! Good luck with it Doc

I totally aggree with this. I only fly Virgin domestic, wherever possible. Only on very few exceptions do I ever get ripped off for excess baggage/surfboards.

When I went to South Africa recently I flew Virgin from the Gold Coast to Sydney - no problems. But on my international flight from Sydney to Joburg with Qantas was a big difference - $650 excess baggage due to surfboards. This is the second time this has happened to me now on that trip, again with no problems on the domestic Virgin flight. Same baggage, smaller plane!

Virgin are now flying internationally to RSA, USA and many other new destinations. With the great treatment I have had from them in the past they can count on my business!

littlewalb
NSW, 40 posts
6 Nov 2009 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

SF66 said...

Singapore Airlines

Qantas and Hawaiian were great 10' 4" board bag stuffed full no dramas.

Hilly, did you fly from a domestic airport?- im flying sydney domestic via brisbane to Honiara and hopefully taking a 10'4" bag and an 8" + paddle and rod on a city flyer interconnections tobrisb/solomans-
im worried about running into "a its your problem" clerk at 6 in the morning and having no one else around to take boards if there not accepted

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
6 Nov 2009 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

littlewalb said...

Select to expand quote

Hilly, did you fly from a domestic airport?- im flying sydney domestic via brisbane to Honiara and hopefully taking a 10'4" bag and an 8" + paddle and rod on a city flyer interconnections tobrisb/solomans-
im worried about running into "a its your problem" clerk at 6 in the morning and having no one else around to take boards if there not accepted

Qantas domestic Sydney to Perth only bag plus carry on, stuffed everything in with board.

I used the cardboard nose/rail savers from new sup packaging. I am sure the local shop will give you it. The cardboard and bubble wrap then inside the board cover good protection.

littlewalb
NSW, 40 posts
6 Nov 2009 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Hilly,
i just rang qantas cargo and they reckon getting to brisbane would be ok but cause soloman air only takes A320 planes it wouldnt fit in there hold,
Looks like the spanking jimmy lewis stays home this time!

Has anyone ever got longer than 7 foot on an airbus?

KevinDudson
QLD, 57 posts
6 Nov 2009 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

fly Hawaian Air they take 11 ft and are such cool folk Aloha

KevinDudson
QLD, 57 posts
6 Nov 2009 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

ps go Virgin domestic no problem no excess boycott Jetstar Qantas protest let em know

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
6 Nov 2009 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

KevinDudson said...

fly Hawaian Air they take 11 ft and are such cool folk Aloha

Second that they did not even weight 2 bags which had 3 sups in

SF66
WA, 92 posts
7 Nov 2009 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Janita K said...

SF66 said...

Singapore Airlines

We took 2 x 12' SUPs to the Maldives last August and Singapore Airlines could not have cared less at checkin....
HOWEVER
we hung around at Changi to watch our plane being unloaded for the trip to Male and I swear you could read the body language of the luggage handlers loud and clear. When they saw our monsters coming down the conveyor belt, its like they were saying...."What the $#%@&*!!!"
I got my camera ready and actually took photos of them throwing our boards around without caring 1 iota. As soon as they saw us up in the terminal with camera in hand, eyeballing them, body language changed immediately.
Nevertheless, one board dinged on the trip over and both boards seriously dinged on the way back...so I would recommend whatever you do....
pad and protect the rails, nose and tail really really really well.
Otherwise, Singapore Airlines were fabulous.

Crikey
Good tip for anyone taking SUPs on planes hang around a window if you can see the baggage handlers in action ready with the camera.
I had the 9'0" reasonably padded and the surfboard well padded. The 11'2" Tuffskin was nude in the cover with 3 paddles strapped to it on the way back.
Must have been lucky no damage at all.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"SUPs on Planes" started by theDoctor