Forums > Kitesurfing General

Sliding Harness

Created by JiP > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2008
JiP
NSW, 130 posts
13 Nov 2008 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi
I have a Tabu waist Harny at the mo its ok but the bar does dig ya in the guts a bit even with a speader bar.
Anyway its time for a newy
Im looking for a harness that allow the bar to slide onto my hip when riding toeside
(waveriding) is comfy and makes me look hansome.
Any suggestions ?

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
13 Nov 2008 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

I have a flying objects waist harness, the top of the line one. I bought it in Perth when I was there last Christmas. It's super padded and comfy, the spreader bar is padded as well. I bought it from that kite shop on the main road between Freo and Perth city centre, I can't remember the name of the place just that its all red and white on the outside.

cabstar
VIC, 328 posts
13 Nov 2008 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

a sliding spreader bar i havent thought about that one good idea it would make life a lot easier

Slack
WA, 685 posts
13 Nov 2008 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

I have a flying objects waist harness, the top of the line one. I bought it in Perth when I was there last Christmas. It's super padded and comfy, the spreader bar is padded as well. I bought it from that kite shop on the main road between Freo and Perth city centre, I can't remember the name of the place just that its all red and white on the outside.

That place is called windforce. http://windforce.com.au/web/

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
13 Nov 2008 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

vishy said...

This may be what you need http://www.dakine.com/kite/harnessesbars/spreader-bars/sliding-bar-kit/ ,

I just got made one up today in Stuart Bell sails ($20). You need the end metal bit, though, as well as a short spreader bar to fill the strep in. I am going to use it on my seat harness. If you choose a waist harness, it rotates on you enough, so you less likely need a sliding spreader bar.

LouD
WA, 641 posts
13 Nov 2008 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Vishy

Who sells the DaKine sliding thingy in Perth?

vishy
WA, 451 posts
14 Nov 2008 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Loud,

Any retailer for Dakine should be able to order it in for you,

Regards
Matt

wal269
WA, 718 posts
14 Nov 2008 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Dakine Pyro's are also sliding (at least last years one was)

wal269
WA, 718 posts
14 Nov 2008 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Also, the strap bit that thhe spreader bar slides on (like seatbelt material) wears out with use.

You can get replacement strap at bunnings at $20 for 3m roll (you needless than 1m to replace)

The replacement stuff is rated to 2 tonnes so should do the job OK

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
14 Nov 2008 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

JP,
my Hadlow Pro is pretty good for that

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
14 Nov 2008 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

wal269 said...

Also, the strap bit that thhe spreader bar slides on (like seatbelt material) wears out with use.

You can get replacement strap at bunnings at $20 for 3m roll (you needless than 1m to replace)

The replacement stuff is rated to 2 tonnes so should do the job OK

Erm.. surprised I haven't heard of this.

Are many folks with seat harnesses (Fusion etc) using these sliding straps and a seat for wave action or is it a case of still needing a waisty to free up lower back/hip movement

wal269
WA, 718 posts
14 Nov 2008 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Nah, waist harnesses are all over seat for wave riding. (i actually think it has more to do with centre of gravity than leg/hip freedom)

I would only use a seat if you have sore ribs or back

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
14 Nov 2008 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

JiP said...

Hi
I have a Tabu waist Harny at the mo its ok but the bar does dig ya in the guts a bit even with a speader bar.
Anyway its time for a newy
Im looking for a harness that allow the bar to slide onto my hip when riding toeside
(waveriding) is comfy and makes me look hansome.
Any suggestions ?

Funny you should post that today-I was thinking exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason-I wear two rashies so that my waist harness slides from side to side easily and am up for a new harness too.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
14 Nov 2008 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

I had a Pyro, and when riding toeside fully powered, the clip would slip and start coming undone, so ditched that harness.

JiP
NSW, 130 posts
14 Nov 2008 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

au_rick said...

JP,
my Hadlow Pro is pretty good for that

Hey Ricko ! how are ya

can i give it a go ? is it a waist harness?

JiP
NSW, 130 posts
14 Nov 2008 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

vishy said...

This may be what you need http://www.dakine.com/kite/harnessesbars/spreader-bars/sliding-bar-kit/ ,

Either that or a better fitting harness, local kiteshop should have a number of harnesses you can try on,

Regards
Matt

Thanks Matt ...not sure how that strap works ..Dakine should give more instructions with it =)
yeh i guess its a trip to Perth to try some on =)
Some please start a kite shop in Bunbury !

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
14 Nov 2008 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

wal269 said...

Yep - mine is frayed to s#!t and at the stage where it won't actually hold anymore, nearly lost the lot last week. Easy to replace though.

Be careful with the sliding strap kit. It may not fit just any harness. It is mainly for Dakines and specifically the power clip system (which is crap IMO - has never held all that well and is impossible to release in a hurry). Dakine hooks are also usually much larger than others as well.

The slider system is brilliant for toeside/waves though.

dylsa
WA, 22 posts
14 Nov 2008 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

I also got the flying objects harness from the same place - very comfy and does slide to the side for a bit of toe side action. One thing to be wary of is the attachments for the handlepass line. I attached my safety directly to one of them, which was fine until I unhooked, stuffed up let go of the kite and BOOOM, there goes the kite off toward the freeway, snapped off at the harness. The attachment is only held on with 2 lines of stitching - not even cross stitching (**)

APPARENTLY (I was told) they are designed not to be pulled from that direction and the safety should be attached to a H/pass line. It would have been fine if the harness actually came with a H/pass line. so be wary - no repair offered, so ride with a H/pass line or don't unhook.

Happy days

cabstar
VIC, 328 posts
14 Nov 2008 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Paul1 said...

I had a Pyro, and when riding toeside fully powered, the clip would slip and start coming undone, so ditched that harness.

i no what you mean i had a harness that used to fall out iwas scary time when it happend

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
14 Nov 2008 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

dylsa said...

lostinlondon said...

I also got the flying objects harness from the same place - very comfy and does slide to the side for a bit of toe side action. One thing to be wary of is the attachments for the handlepass line. I attached my safety directly to one of them, which was fine until I unhooked, stuffed up let go of the kite and BOOOM, there goes the kite off toward the freeway, snapped off at the harness. The attachment is only held on with 2 lines of stitching - not even cross stitching (**)

APPARENTLY (I was told) they are designed not to be pulled from that direction and the safety should be attached to a H/pass line. It would have been fine if the harness actually came with a H/pass line. so be wary - no repair offered, so ride with a H/pass line or don't unhook.

Happy days

I have a Boxer SLE12m/Helix 9m and I have a little bit of red plastic wrapped rope that loops around the spreader bar with a bit of velcro to make it sit in place. (Its the standard bit that comes with the old Naish 2:1 bar)

But thanks for the tip.

I can't recommend that Flying object harness enough for comfort though... it feels almost like one of those gel filled bicycle seats in the padding that sits in the small of your back.

coreyb
WA, 463 posts
14 Nov 2008 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Id throw a vote to the Flying Object waist - FLIGHT CONTROL.

Best harness on the market according to me.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
14 Nov 2008 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

^ And me.

I actually have 2 Flying Objects Flight Control harnesses, one is an older but hardly used one with a sliding spreader bar, but I prefer the newer harness with the extra straps to hold the spreader bar down and in place and find that the whole harness turns around quite a bit for toeside without riding up, especially if I wear a rashy or 2 underneath.

BigFatMick
273 posts
15 Nov 2008 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Drink beer and eat burgers... that'll stop that harness from going anywhere.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
17 Nov 2008 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Or eat lots of fried chicken and get a set of man-hooters to keep the harness down.

Obviously it would be your hands on your hooters that kept the harness down.. could be a bit tricky controlling the kite with both hands on the puppies though

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
18 Nov 2008 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Is this what your after for hooked in riding. Video is ordinary. Would only work for forehand though; I like to swivel the position the harness hook on my back hip so you can get more rotation for a reentry on backhand.
http://www.jayfactory.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69%3Adynabar&catid=1%3Anews&lang=en

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
19 Nov 2008 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

pearl said...

Is this what your after for hooked in riding. Video is ordinary. Would only work for forehand though; I like to swivel the position the harness hook on my back hip so you can get more rotation for a reentry on backhand.
http://www.jayfactory.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69%3Adynabar&catid=1%3Anews#9001;=en

Good idea-don't really like the design execution-too messy.

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
29 Nov 2008 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

....I tried out the sliding Dakine harness setup....
My experience is that it is fine / great for toe riding alone, but when riding the waves or need to turn / jibe quickly, the bar is not sliding easily, it gets stuck kicking me off balance. I am working on a setup when the spreader hook is running with a pulley on a rope attached to a spreader bar. The idea is similar to the dynabar but implemented differently (I hate the sound of metal sliding on metal)....I will post pics as I go, but would appreciate any ideas on the way...
Cheers

Hunter S
WA, 516 posts
29 Nov 2008 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Andrash said...

....I tried out the sliding Dakine harness setup....
My experience is that it is fine / great for toe riding alone, but when riding the waves or need to turn / jibe quickly, the bar is not sliding easily, it gets stuck kicking me off balance. I am working on a setup when the spreader hook is running with a pulley on a rope attached to a spreader bar. The idea is similar to the dynabar but implemented differently (I hate the sound of metal sliding on metal)....I will post pics as I go, but would appreciate any ideas on the way...
Cheers

I'm in the process of doing a similar thing. I've just brought a 12" Dakine spreader bar, cut off the hammerhead (hook thing). Normally I use a smaller spreader. I'm going to bend the spreader to fit the curve of my body better and then weld a rail to run a slider on (yes metal to metal). The slider will only run from the centre of the bar to one end of the spreader as I only need it to slide over for toe-side.

It would be pretty easy to set up a rope running off the ends of a larger spreader bar and then run a pulley off it. Might even be better

My idea is a variaton of this

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
29 Nov 2008 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Hunter,
Thanks for the pic. This bar would look really good with a pulley rolling on it, although a rope would possibly hold the pulley more in position, I believe...
I got an extra long spreader bar today, and I checked the pulleys in the Yacht shop. I am a bit puzzled about what tension the pulley has to hold. I saw few Ronstan bearing pulleys three different sizes and strength. I want to get the smallest that still holds the tension safely in all position. Any ideas...?

Hunter S
WA, 516 posts
29 Nov 2008 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Andrash,
Load bearing info at

http://ronstan.thomasnet.com/Category/blocks-pulleys

As well as load the pulley set up needs to be able to safely release the CL and not have it jam in there. That could be a challenge to get right

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
30 Nov 2008 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

I checked the 20 ball bearing pulley ...the breaking strength is about 500kg.... Re CL: I cut a spreader bar both sides at the hook, and attach the pulley between the two legs of the hook. So the hook itself will function like on a normal spreader bar for a CL loop attached to it......I'll post some pics soon......

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Sliding Harness" started by JiP