Forums > Kitesurfing General

dogs at saint kilda beach

Created by ewan kite > 9 months ago, 8 Apr 2008
ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
8 Apr 2008 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

i have had plenty of dogs at saint kilda beach run into the water at full speed with their teeth showing and usually they are about the same size as me. i have been knocked over many times by them and have had to stay away from the shoreline because they bite me.

has anyone else had a problem with them.

ewan

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
8 Apr 2008 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

St Kilda Dogs?

Usually they can be found in the Espy.

rossouwe
VIC, 73 posts
8 Apr 2008 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

I was sitting on the beach at Brighton one day when a dog ran up towards me, teeth showing. Turned out he just needed a place to pi$$. At least it warmed my back up!

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
9 Apr 2008 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

In a kite area, dogs seem to be either scared of kites, or they chase them. Dogs and beaches are pretty much a common combo so that might be just another risk to add to the sport.

I think you're just going to have to stop sticking a bratwurst down your boardies to increase your manliness Ewan

extreme
VIC, 74 posts
9 Apr 2008 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

Fortunately young man you have several years before you deal with the Espy variety.

I tend to be conservative around the skinny type dowgs, greyhounds etc... the stockier varients suffer from more drag and can't get in front of the board so you can stir them up as you go, and ride off without any battle scars.

Of course, one may completely negate this issue by kiting a little further upwind, this has the added benefit of allowing a good run off when landing unhooked wake style manouvers...it is rare for a canine to intercept you upon landing, they do tend to favour the trawling type kitesurfer.

Peace

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
9 Apr 2008 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

I can't remember who it was but I remeber talking to a guy that had a dog run up when he was about to go out and bit him on the nuts requiring surgery (maybe the last bit is an exaggereation) Dogs should be taught by professionals not to do this !

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
9 Apr 2008 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Mr float said...

I can't remember who it was but I remeber talking to a guy that had a dog run up when he was about to go out and bit him on the nuts requiring surgery (maybe the last bit is an exaggereation) Dogs should be taught by professionals not to do this !

LOL [}:)]

Baz
NSW, 205 posts
9 Apr 2008 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

We have had a "dog" problem or should I say an irresponsible owner problem at Bagnalls beach for a while. We now have a zero tolerance system whereby if a dog is deemed a problem we call the Rangers who sort out the "re-education process." The infamous "nibble on the nuts" did not require surgery but has now been elevated to urban legend.
Constant winds,
Baz.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
9 Apr 2008 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of years back, the first day I went to fly my brand new kite, it was pumped up on the beach while I was rigging my lines and I noticed this little mungrel of a dog walk past lift his leg and piss on my kite. Funny thing is that kite turned out to be my all time favourite.

Moral of the story, dont ride a kite unless it has been crissaned first!

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
10 Apr 2008 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

just got a kite back from being fixed pumped it up on the beach ready to go when a bloke came up and talked to me

as he left he let his dog off the lead the kite made a noise in the breeze which
caught the dogs attention

the dog charged at the kite and jumped on top of it tearing the **** out of the canopy

i walked over to the kite packed it up shook my head at the bloke and went home

to polish my gun

dogman

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
11 Apr 2008 1:43AM
Thumbs Up

Mate, if that was true I would be hitting up the guy who owned the dog for the cost of your repairs! And possibly physically hitting him up as well, depends on how big he is.

menox
NSW, 152 posts
11 Apr 2008 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

get the repairs done first, kill the dog, slug the bloke

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
14 Apr 2008 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

yesterday at saint kilda i got bitten by a dog.
i was in the kiddie pool (the pond) and the dog was chasing me and lincoln. this dog was huge! We were screaming at te owner to get the dog away and i stopped again to sout at him because his dog came right up to me. when i stopped it turned away and then came back as soon as i started again. it went behind me and i thought it wasnt interested anymore but then i put my board on and it lunged at my back and bit me and it went through the wetsuit and i had to go to hospital and get injections so i didnt get tetnus or RAABIEEES!!!! my left arm is now dead from he injections and i cant kite for the next couple of days and there sould be wind.

if anyone has any ideas on how to kite with one arm and any other stories about dogs and kiting please let me know

ewan

Lincoln
VIC, 52 posts
14 Apr 2008 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

ewan why are you on seabreeze in class lol

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
14 Apr 2008 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

what class r u in right now? lol

english is sooooo boring

Lincoln
VIC, 52 posts
14 Apr 2008 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

i was at the techs and i went on seabreeze to test my internet because it wasn't working

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
14 Apr 2008 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

cmon i am bored

someone say something on the topic

ewan

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
14 Apr 2008 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Are dogs allowed off leash in St Kilda?

If the dog bit you that hard then you should be hitting up the owner for

a/ a new wetsuit
b/ Then threaten to sue the owner for psychological pain ;-) I mean, every kiter should have liability insurance in case you carve someone up with your lines. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs.
c/ If a dog is biting you that hard, they should be taking a one-way trip to the vet as well.

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
14 Apr 2008 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Yes dogs are allowed off the leash in saint kilda and saintkilda only .

I would annoyed the owner to help and figure out what to do with the dog but he didnt care. he watched the dog bite me and me scream in pain and then he said "duh uhhhhh what happened" wat an idiot i thought so i said "your F*****g doG just bit me" He replies "my dog would never bite anyone and never has" uh well it just took a bite out of my back. he just walked away and didnt care

ewan

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
15 Apr 2008 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

if a dog bites you then clubbing the dog to death with a twin tip in front of the owner would get the owners attention? dog owners always say their dog dont bite,

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
15 Apr 2008 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

I,m not sure what the rules with other councils are but here in Newcastle the owner of the dog is still responsible for the dog even if it is a "dog off the leash " area .Every now and then I end up on dog** beach here in Newcastle and occasionally a mutt will come bolting out of the blue and the owner just stands there and watch what unfolds fortunately I haven't been mauled yet .I have politely reminded them that even tho their dog is allowed off the leash they need to control it .Eg little kiddie comes running down to the beach with a ball dog runs over and knocks kiddie over to get the ball owner should at least make some attempt to get and control the dog or labrasnauzergoodledoodle runs onto beach and attcks other dogs that were already there playing hapily with each other owner is responsible for their dog and should not just stand back and watch what unfolds

sbray
SA, 350 posts
15 Apr 2008 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

SO......If you have a dog attack you on a beach and you clip your leash to its collar and send your kite into a teabagging spiral up the beach and into the sea wall & railing

What will happen next?

a) A Bondi Rescue film crew will appear claiming to have found the latest craze........DOG Kiting.
Then do a follow up program on the latest menace of flying, biting dogs at the beach.
And we thought segull poop was bad

b) The local council will ban Dogs from kiting at the beach. (would be more useful than biting people & sh**ting on the beach)

c) The council will claim that dog owner could not be prosecuted because his dog was "on a leash" [}:)] and therefore the only other person to blame & sue would be the bitten kiter.

d) The dog owner & kiter would both be fined for decorating the beachfront without a license.

e) The dog figured that it was one big game & chased the spiralling kite & was last seen heading 50 km south at speed.

f) Windsurfers claim that their dogs can do better tricks

g) A minority of kiters are embarrassed because the dog handled the situation better than they could (this is probably my category )

grinning regards from
the fossil

walshd
SA, 601 posts
15 Apr 2008 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Mate that is the best payout I've read yet! GOLD

I'm still laughing

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
15 Apr 2008 1:19PM
Thumbs Up