Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

what next?

Created by Cruiser1755 > 9 months ago, 24 May 2008
Cruiser1755
QLD, 235 posts
24 May 2008 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Caught a SUP DVD today and they have an inflatable SUP. Seemed to go ok and folded down to small suitcase size. So if you've got no room at home...

eric344
138 posts
24 May 2008 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

it looks fun !

oliver
3952 posts
24 May 2008 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

That is going to be my second sup. Absolutely love that concept. What I really want to see is how to inflate/deflate it though.

Is this the board?

www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=62-0201&Category_Code=SU&Store_Code=MS

or mabye this c4waterman:

http://store.c4waterman.com/C4-ULI-p/c4uli.htm

Oh answered my own question it's the c4 and this vid shows it inflating/deflating

nobody
NSW, 437 posts
25 May 2008 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Oliver.

Probably $2000AU to buy here. Interesting though. Hopefully the price will come down in time as it seems to be much more practical than normal boards. Less chance of damaging it or someone else if you have an accident etc. Easier on the fuel bills as you don't need to have it on the roof.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
25 May 2008 3:25AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah..they're mega bucks...but...one of these could mean that my new car can be a soft top convertable..mmmmmmm..

Steamroller is classic..and a very nice guy..There's some great vids showing him rolling up on his Harley and pumping up his board and hitting the surf.

Then he lets the air out and jumps back on his bike and rides off.... http://www.uliboards.com/gallery/surfing-videos/

Notice in that first vid that Oliver posted..There's no one else on that wave... because did you see all the suckrocks..

The new 10' ULI is what I would get...He's a big guy and it floats him..no worries..

..speaking of rocks..

This is his latest vid..The Darkside (SUP) Surfing in Gods country.. www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=211;sa=showPosts

He's out in some good size waves on that thing....here's a pic of him bailing out....

DJ

Looks like he likes to practice in his back yard pool with his dogs..

more great shots of Stemroller on his ULI.

oliver
3952 posts
25 May 2008 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Purchase Online From C4
US $1,300 11' board, pump and paddle
US $280 shipping to Australia

That's around AU $1,600

Purchase Online from Uli
US $995.00 11' board and pump
$39.95 shipping to Australia

At AU $1,100 it would make it one the cheapest new boards around

nobody
NSW, 437 posts
25 May 2008 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

Purchase Online From C4
US $1,300 11' board, pump and paddle
US $280 shipping to Australia

That's around AU $1,600

Purchase Online from Uli
US $995.00 11' board and pump
$39.95 shipping to Australia

At AU $1,100 it would make it one the cheapest new boards around

Thanks again Oliver.

I think you would have to add import duty to the C4 as last time I looked $1300AU was the starting price for duty. I'd check it thoroughly before ordering. It could work out expensive. I assume at this stage there are no suppliers for either in AUS. Is that the case?

If they can be landed in AUS cheaply it would likely be the future of SUP to many as I've heard many comments about how expensive SUP boards are currently.

oliver
3952 posts
25 May 2008 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Whoops, just looked that up. www.homeaffairs.gov.au/

Using the customs example of purchases over $1,000 I calculated the following:

C4
Customs value (Cval) AU $1,353.50
Customs duty (Duty) @ 5% of Cval AU $67.68 (Payable)
International transport and insurance or postage (T&I) AU $291.52
Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI) (Cval+Duty+T&I) AU $1,712.7
Goods and Services Tax (GST) @ 10 per cent of the VoTI AU $171.27 (Payable)
Total payable Duty + GST AU $238.95

C4 board + Paddle $1,883.97

You could of course tell customs that it costs under $1000 and not pay any duty..... hmmmm but that would be illegal!

Just realised the $995 ULI was for an 11' inflatable surfboard not a sup.

Brooko
1672 posts
25 May 2008 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

The fins look way dodgy, wouldnt want that thing in any solid surf, then again the good point is it wouldnt wail you when it hit you, like the sore ribs i have now from the southpoint hitting my side whilst trying a carving cutback

Revvin
VIC, 299 posts
25 May 2008 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

There is a distributor/importer in oz, I sent them an email at the end of march and they replied with

"As the stand up paddle boards are a new product and the entire range has been revised we are still waiting for definitive pricing from our supplier. We will contact you as soon as we have established AUD$ pricing. We have completely sold out of old stock"

The dudes name is Fabio, email address uliboards@bigpond.com

See if anyone else has more luck!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
25 May 2008 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

The C4 guys down under are a doddgee bunch..(imo)..It's a shame...Their paddles and boards are great tho.

DJ

892 posts
26 May 2008 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Nice..

Can you get them with a mast track?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
26 May 2008 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

You could do a SUP camping holiday and let some air out and sleep on it at night..

DJ

champcrow
SA, 804 posts
26 May 2008 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

I think Steamroller is a great endorser for ULI, when i first heard of them i thought the idea of an inflatable seemed a bit cheap and nasty, that was until i saw Steamroller smashing the crap out of them on the rocks. This guy is isane and is full of good vibes, it made me want a ULI.

paddlepop
QLD, 209 posts
26 May 2008 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

i've just sent an email to uli oz. i'll let you know what transpires

pete

by the way, does anyone know how i can save these ULI youtube videos to my lappy without downloading dodgy software off the net?

Cruiser1755
QLD, 235 posts
27 May 2008 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

go to zamzar.com it will be obvious what to do
used it for ages...good service no problems

paddlepop
QLD, 209 posts
3 Jun 2008 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

just got a reply from fabio - says they're working on prices, quantities etc etc so they must be getting close but he didn't give me an indication of when they'll be available here
pete

oliver
3952 posts
4 Jun 2008 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

My C4 ULI arrives tomorrow morning. One of those spontaneous SUP purchases I've been having lately.

I had to run through a couple of hoops with postage, customs etc. The service at C4 in the US was really very good. If anyone else wants to give the buying online thing a go, do your homework first with customs/frieght/landing charges etc. If I was going to make any suggestions I'ld get it via regular parcel post, may take a little longer but would be less of a learning curve.

It will be great to have a second board for my kids and friends, to travel with it, to be able to carry a board in my boot and to have something a bit more 'rough and tumble' than the stylish Naish.

I'm looking forward to see how this board performs. Right now I'm guessing it's going to be like paddling on a cork

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
5 Jun 2008 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

I can't wait to see it Oliver..and have a go on it..

DJ

paddlepop
QLD, 209 posts
5 Jun 2008 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

would love to see it as well - don't suppose you live in SE Qld?

pete

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"what next?" started by Cruiser1755