Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Treehouse Surfboards Info

Created by porka > 9 months ago, 9 Jul 2008
porka
WA, 155 posts
9 Jul 2008 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

For all those who've expressed interest in these boards lately here is a bit about Treehouse Surfboards. Please send me a private message if you'd like to know more or get in touch with Dave...

David Porter is a 27 year old surfer/shaper driven by a simple ideology:
'To craft beautiful surfboards that they can be enjoyed for a lifetime, while carefully considering the resources that he uses.

David first began building polyester boards when he was 15 years old. In those days, the passion behind building boards stemmed from the need for a new quiver each season and for a 15 year old, the cheapest way to get a new quiver was to build one. Numerous boards on; numerous snapped and dented boards on, it became apparent that the polyurethane/polyester combination that has been standard (and marketed) for so long may not be the best method for constructing a lightweight/modern surfboard. A growing concern for the impact of the materials going into each surfboard also necessitated a re-think of surfboard construction.

Inspired by respected craftsmen such as Gary Young, Burt Berger, Danny Hess, Chris Garrett and David Franks, David began testing Australian timber laminates, glass-less boards, organic sealing methods, alternative low impact glues,low VOC epoxies and extruded polystyrene foams. Borrowing techniques that have been around since the 70's and by combining these with modern materials, boards started to emerge that were not only equisite to look at but also perfomed beautifully in terms of strength, durability, speed and projection. Achieving this required building strength and flex memory into the core of the board rather than solely relying on the monocoque skin. This means that all blanks are made by hand and pre-stressed with custom stringers. By utilising an alternative method to finish the glass/timber composite skin, the amount
of resin used has been reduced to less than a quarter of that required to manufacture conventional boards. What this means is an increased strength to weight ratio, improved flex characteristics and reduced environmental impact. David's boards do not take in water due to the closed-cell XPS foam used and do not pressure dent.

Experimentation and creativity lie at the heart of both surfing and shaping surfboards. David will continue to develop these beautiful boards with the help of like-minded surfers and continually reflect upon resource usage as more sustainable materials and processes become available. David's boards will always remain uniquely Australian and embody true surfing spirit.

The board featured in the photos is a 6ft 5 x 20 1/2 x 2 1/2 Quad Egg. The fins are Speed Dialers designed by Rich Pavel. This is my latest toy, and I'm just stoked on it. Besides it looking great, its proving to be really fun to ride in typical Perth waves.

Cheers.

DL
WA, 658 posts
9 Jul 2008 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

The board looks hot!

Can't wait for mine

jvd
WA, 3 posts
9 Jul 2008 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

That is one sexy looking board! Can't wait for mine too.

DL
WA, 658 posts
29 Jul 2008 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Why do I have to wait for it to be sanded and sealed? I want to surf it NOW.

5'5" long, 20" wide, 2 3/8" thick. Canard quad fin setup. Will be a loose speed machine!

surferstu
1011 posts
29 Jul 2008 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

DL how many rods was it for the board?

DL
WA, 658 posts
30 Jul 2008 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

$990 for the board.
$97 for the fins (Lokbox Speed-dialler cutaways mailed from USA http://rainbowfins.com/surf/a_lb_quad.php?id=2)
$? for postage. The board is being crafted in Sydney.

The board is my own design and was originally going to be shaped on a CNC router (see pics). Ended up that it would take too long to organise the CNC shaping, and was going to cost more, so Dave just printed out the design to full scale and used it as a template.

picasaweb.google.com/daniel.rm.lie/Surfboards for full size pictures.

surferstu
1011 posts
30 Jul 2008 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

sounds reasonable for the amount of work involved, let us know how it the board goes

DL
WA, 658 posts
30 Jul 2008 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

When it's finished and in Perth, I'll pm you if you want to have a shot on it.

Going to take it down the Goldie / North NSW coast when it's finished in 2 weeks time

DL
WA, 658 posts
30 Aug 2008 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

The board is finished and it looks and surfs awesome!

Went really well on those super fat east coast point breaks.

mongo
WA, 49 posts
31 Aug 2008 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

nice board

if i had the money i would buy one

porka
WA, 155 posts
9 Sep 2008 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

The Treehouse website is up and running. Check it out at:

www.treehouseboards.com/

Send me a private message if you want to demo the 6ft 5in quad egg as featured on the website.

Cheers.

DL
WA, 658 posts
9 Sep 2008 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

lol, my board made it to the website.

pm me if any one wants a shot also.

airhead
WA, 814 posts
10 Sep 2008 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hey DL was that you in the water Sunday at the xxxxxxx xxxxx?

I was on the Hot Tomale fish! Was thinking your board looked perfect for my daughter...

DL
WA, 658 posts
10 Sep 2008 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, that was me! How good was the surf.

My mate had a shot on it (he's 6'1" and 90kegs) and surprisingly it seemed fine for someone his size. He didn't want to give the board back though:) Makes his thruster seem like a slug.

If you go to SUPER SECRET SPOT X often, I'll probably see you there again and your daughter can have a shot.

Not looking too crash hot this weekend though :(

airhead
WA, 814 posts
11 Sep 2008 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

DL said...

If you go to SUPER SECRET SPOT X often, I'll probably see you there again and your daughter can have a shot.

Cool, we try and get there once a month on average

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
12 Sep 2008 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

What types of timber are used on these boards? looks like jarrah on the tails....

porka
WA, 155 posts
12 Sep 2008 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Doggie,

The laminate is Australian plantation hoop pine.
The tail inserts are recycled Australian hardwoods (jarrah and rosewood I think).

Looks sweet!

Cheers.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
12 Sep 2008 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Im thinking about ordering a single fin, they realy look the part like a 6,6 would be the go I recon mmmmmmmmmm single fin aaaagggggagggg..........

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Treehouse Surfboards Info" started by porka