Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Deck Mounted Video Camera - eLearning Lesson

Created by Casso > 9 months ago, 2 Aug 2008
Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
2 Aug 2008 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Welcome to this short eLearning lesson on how to mount a video camera onto the nose of your SUP.

You will need:
- a waterproof digital camera with video capability (a 2GB memory card is also recommended to capture one hour of continuous video) - eBay $110;
- a glazier's suction cup - eBay $20;
- some scrap deck grip - the shed $0;
- a short tie-down strap - Bunnings $5; and
- a water ski rope float - Whitworths $3.

/images/misc/forum-image-missing.gif

Step 1
Drill a series of 4mm holes in one side of the fixed handle of the suction cup to create a slit as wide as the tie-down strap. Repeat for the other side.

Step 2
Feed the tie-down strap through each of the slits so the buckle of the strap is at the back of the suction cup (where the lever handle is). Using these slits will stop the strap from sliding off.

Step 3
Thread the water ski rope float onto the end of the tie-down strap. Tie a figure eight knot on the end so it cannot slide off. This is necessary as the complete unit doesn't float without adding this extra piece of buoyancy.

Step 4
Grind a step into the front of the suction cup for the base of the camera to lock into.

Step 5
Stick some scrap deck grip above the step to enhance the height of the step and to add a bit of padding for the camera.

Step 6
Place the suction cup in the appropriate position on the nose of your board. It should be dead centre and as far forward as possible while still remaining on a flat part of the board.

Step 7
Lock the suction cup in place by raising the lever handle. Make sure it goes on the inside of the tie-down strap.

Step 8
Attach the safety strap on the camera to the tie-down strap. This allows everything to stay together in the event of a "suck-off".

Step 9
Seat the camera (on its side) inside the strap at the front of the suction cup. The bottom of the camera should fit in front of the step you grinded earlier. The camera on its side allows more height of the surfer to be viewed without needing an expensive wide angle lensed camera. You will need to rotate your final video clip by 90 degrees during the editing process.

Step 10
Tighten the strap as hard as it can go.

Final Front View:

Final Rear View:

Now, get out there and rip it up. Just start the camera recording before you paddle out and keep surfing until the memory card runs out.

Don't forget to share your videos with everyone via YouTube and SeaBreeze.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
2 Aug 2008 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Nice job...Thanks for the pictures...I'm going to try it also.

DJ

wazza66
QLD, 611 posts
2 Aug 2008 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a great setup!!
Where do you get the camera from on ebay??
What brand is it?
Waz

oliver
3952 posts
2 Aug 2008 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

You could enter that on the inventors. The float is a good touch - well done Casso. I'm going to do something with my new leash plugs. I'll post it when I get the parts and have it working.

JohnDavid
VIC, 181 posts
2 Aug 2008 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

This is just another challenge for you Oliver! You love tinkering with this stuff. Can't wait to hear how your inventive mind tackles this one....and I can't wait to see the result.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
2 Aug 2008 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Your an absolute legend Cas. Cheers for that
Im gonna put that on the nose of my shortboards, longboards and windsurfers all the time... once I get it all made up. Will try and get some good footage. But I got the Olympus waterproof camera. And 2 gig card which records about 1.5 hours?
But the only drama I have is sticking it down to the EVA deck grip on my SUP?
Any ideas anyone?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
2 Aug 2008 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Any ideas anyone?

Jonathan you should be able to use the mast base screw hole to hold a stick with a camera thread size bolt through the other end..You could have the stick as long as you like..even going off the end off the board if you need to to get all of yourself in the frame.

DJ

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
2 Aug 2008 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Any ideas anyone?

Jonathan you should be able to use the mast base screw hole to hold a stick with a camera thread size bolt through the other end..You could have the stick as long as you like..even going off the end off the board if you need to to get all of yourself in the frame.

DJ

Whos Jonathan?
Hey DJ, sweet idea. Thanks heaps for that. I never would have thought of that
Let me rack my brain on that one. I will go out to the shed now to see what I can rig up.
Be right back

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
3 Aug 2008 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

DavidJohn said...

Select to expand quote

Any ideas anyone?

DJ

Whos Jonathan?
Let me rack my brain on that one. I will go out to the shed now to see what I can rig up.
Be right back

Sorry Greenroom..

I was just looking at the combi on your avitar (same as Jonathan and he has an SB 11'2" UB)..and nothing to do with me being a dumbarse..

DJ

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
2 Aug 2008 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Greenroom said...

DavidJohn said...

Select to expand quote

Any ideas anyone?

DJ

Whos Jonathan?
Be right back

Sorry Greenroom..

I was just looking at the combi on your avitar (same as Jonathan and he has an SB 11'2" UB)..and nothing to do with me being a dumbarse..

DJ

I tried to suss out the mast bolt on my board but the problem is you will see the rod on the deck
Good idea but im not keen on that look.
Any other dumbarse ideas DJ?

oliver
3952 posts
2 Aug 2008 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait to see you sucker cam in action greenroom - when do you reckon your in action? I want to see the famous 'Ghostie' - closeup.

The famous 'Ghostie'. I taught Miller this move.
Only special people have the ability to pull this off

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
2 Aug 2008 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

I bought the sucker which should arrive in a few weeks as its coming from Hong Kong. Then its just a matter of putting it all together. I will have to get a board with no grip or wax to try it out first until I find a way to mount it to the EVA grip.
Although it might just have enough suck to stay put?
Then its just a matter of getting some waves

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
2 Aug 2008 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

I wanna film some of this action

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
3 Aug 2008 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

I'll reply to this as somehow I've become part of it anyway! I've got the same problem with the EVA grip. You can get super strong 3M Velcro, what about a strip on top of each rail that you then stick a kind of bridging piece onto - maybe PVC strip 6mm thick - PVC you can heat and form and it will retain its shape so it could kick down at each end to match the rail shape - any plastic/perspex joint would cut you a strip . Or you could get a thick piece of balsa/foam carve it to shape and glass it then fit the matching velcro. The balsa /foam would float and you could safety tie it to the mast bolt hole or tow point. At least this would be pretty low profile and a little kinder than the big clamp if you did a forehead smack over the whitewater! Also helmet cams are good, you look like a dork but at least the video isn't just a constant groin shot and you can get friends on the wave. I think I'll have a go at the bridge and post progress, just wish I could surf like Casso.....

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
3 Aug 2008 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome ideas Jonathan. That sounds like the go.

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
3 Aug 2008 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Greenroom the 3M stuff I'm thinking of is Dual-Lock - it's really only like velcro in concept, it really sticks and the glue also really sticks but is removable. I've used it in 4WD's to support quite heavy stuff like GPS straight to the dashboard, but when you want to you can slowly peel the strip off the dashboard material without leaving a mark. A couple of small 25mm square pieces have survived about a million trillion corrugations, I think it would also stick to the foam deck but probably tear the foam if it was really pulled off fast. Total thickness is 5mm I think so that would just about be perfect to bridge the gap from the smooth rail to the foam grip. Here is an ebay link, I've never been able to get it here, a swiss friend gave me some once.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3M-CLEAR-VHB-DUAL-LOCK-STRIPS-TRANSPONDER-12PCS-1-2X2_W0QQitemZ150278558364QQihZ005QQcategoryZ109475QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

oliver
3952 posts
3 Aug 2008 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Just bought a gorillapod style tripod for $5.50 on ebay - I should be able to intertwine the legs under the new netting I've made on the front of my board and fix the camera to the netting so it doesn't get lost.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
3 Aug 2008 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

That's cool Oliver..but I think you'll still need a float attached.

DJ

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
3 Aug 2008 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Here are some photos I took of the mast base cam I made this morning.
I can face the camera forward or backwards but it wont be in the centre line of the board.
Just a bit offset, but can angle it towards the tip of the nose.
If I was to face it towards the back of the board, it would only pick up my feet in the view.
But a test run tomorrow will tell.
On the Starboard 9'8 and 9'0 there are footstrap screw inserts which Im gonna make a cam mount for a different view.
Maybe on a tripod or rod so the camera can be about a foot off the back of the board?

Subculture
443 posts
3 Aug 2008 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

Here are some photos I took of the mast base cam I made this morning.
I can face the camera forward or backwards but it wont be in the centre line of the board.
Just a bit offset, but can angle it towards the tip of the nose.
If I was to face it towards the back of the board, it would only pick up my feet in the view.
But a test run tomorrow will tell.
On the Starboard 9'8 and 9'0 there are footstrap screw inserts which Im gonna make a cam mount for a different view.
Maybe on a tripod or rod so the camera can be about a foot off the back of the board?

Hi Greenroom,

Check out Byron's video over on the 'Zone'. He mounted the camera on the rear and raised up. Gave an excellent POV. (IMO) Some of the forward facing footage as he turns from right to left is excellent.

You may want to ask him how he mounted it, it's on the Kalama which is soft top like your board so he would have had the same problem. He's a really nice guy, I'm sure he'll help out. I'll attach the link for you.

www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1590.0

Good luck, I'll stay tuned!

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
3 Aug 2008 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hey thanks for the lead Sub. I will check it out now.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
4 Aug 2008 1:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Greenroom...I can't wait to see the dying cockroach move while surfing a wave from that close angle..

DJ

oliver
3952 posts
4 Aug 2008 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a good setup greenroom. That camera is stuck firm - you should get some good footage.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
4 Aug 2008 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Well not as good as I hoped for as the camera mount is in the mast bolt hole which is smack bang in the middle of the board.
I was riding the Starboard 9'0 and the wave is not that long of a wave.
Just uploading it now to my computer then I will try to edit it as I have never done this before.
I took about an hour of continuous footage which chewed through the battery. I gotta get another battery. I had about 25 more minutes to film until it died.
Also took some shots facing forward and some shots facing backwards.
Personally I didnt like the forward facing view. Hard to tell whats going on.
The facing backward view was better but the one that Im working on next is the mount on the tail of the board facing forward.

oliver
3952 posts
8 Aug 2008 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

I just purchased another suction cup camera holder option from a $2.00 shop - pitty it was a bit more than $2.00 but it should work great:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Universal-Car-mount-holder-for-PDA-PHONE-IPON-GPS-PSP_W0QQitemZ160268989669QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48575QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
8 Aug 2008 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm another good option, but I reckon in the surf it wouldnt hold, especially if I was using it.
Plenty of wipeouts and swimming on the inside
The arm looks a bit flimsy and the sucker looks too small?
Designed to hold mobile phones from the inside of your windscreen.
That glazier sucker that Casso made is the strongest option IMO.
If those suckers can carry big sheets of glass... then I wouldnt hesitate to strap my digital camera to it

oliver
3952 posts
8 Aug 2008 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the holder - and that sucker is a good one - it's got one of those clips that you press down on just like the glass holder. I can lift my board using it and shake it around a little and it stays firm. I haven't tested it in the sea yet but my feeling is that the plastic would break before the suction would let go. Obviously it's not as sturdy as the glass holder but it's far more flexible in how you can position it. Anyway - it's just another option and at $10.00 it may be a good alternative.

My wife is off to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks and I want her to get a waterproof video camera for me - I've been doing a little homework and so far these look good.
www.techshout.com/gadgets/2007/10/new-6-megapixel-vivitar-waterproof-digital-camera-launched/
www.smarthouse.com.au/Digital_Photography/Video_Cameras/B3E6L2A8
www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212591;pid;5003;pt;1

Has anyone got any thoughts on good waterproof video cameras. I just want to make good qual web clips that will last for 2 - 4 hours continuous filming. My olympus 790 shoots only 29 mins continuously and the battery goes flat in about an hour.

I can really see this as a becoming a bit of a hobbie for me - thanks casso.

For editing I'm using both the latest i-movie and the previous version of i-movie on mac and the programs really do have some fantastic video editing transitions and options packed in. I've got a few youtube concepts in mind that I want to further explore.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
8 Aug 2008 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2gb disc in my Olympus 770. It takes 1h 30m of continuous filming.
But the battery only lasts just over an hour.
I gotta buy another battery... or two... or three... or more

oliver
3952 posts
9 Aug 2008 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Oh answered my own question... after spending a few hours looking into it... I think my expectations are a little unreasonable, the olympus 790 seems to be up there with the rest of them.

cranky
440 posts
9 Aug 2008 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

Where is the setting for continuous video? I can only get my Oly775 to video in 10 second blocks.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
9 Aug 2008 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

cranky said...

Greenroom said...

Where is the setting for continuous video? I can only get my Oly775 to video in 10 second blocks.

Im not sure?
Ive always just pressed record and it plays continually.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Deck Mounted Video Camera - eLearning Lesson" started by Casso