safe way to do a forward loop

Created by undertacker > 9 months ago, 10 Oct 2008
undertacker
NSW, 8 posts
10 Oct 2008 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

found this article on following page:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Chris_K48/FORWARD.htm

The principle behind my safe learning technique is that you can do it slow and low (thus with less fear and danger), but still create the same rotation by cheating a bit. To do this the sailor has to bear off downwind, chop hop and then stick the nose of the board into the area of water downwind (on the otherside) of the mast base/ mast track. (Picture it) The same pull is created by the nose of the board stopping on contact with the water as during a normal loop, and the sailor is flicked onto his back. If he has beared down wind enough beforehand he will probably be able to waterstart away. This is the key to learning to forward. After this it is just a case of doing it faster, more aggressively and off bigger chop or swell when you feel comfortable and ready. Later you often cannot tell whether or not the nose of the board hit as the rotation feels identical. Wait!.. before you rush out and try this, read the extra details that you need to know, click "Conditions and Equipment" below.

Any comments from somebody who actually did one ?

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
10 Oct 2008 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

that's pretty much it - i hope you didn't pay for that advice tho when i was desperately trying to learnem i once came across a website that wanted cash for that

remko de'wierdos "seven sons of freestyle" loop instruction is another great one

judo rolls with the sail on the beach in 12knots is another good 1

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
11 Oct 2008 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Best way to learn forward loops is to start off chop that has a small vertical ramp.

Head slightly off the wind, do a chop hop and with you back hand placed about a half a foot further back on the boom, lean back and pull your back hand as hard as you can (so hard its like you are trying to break your boom). Don't think forward at all. Its a bit of an opitcal illusion. If you use this method to learn, even if you dont get around and let go half way, you will just land on your back on the water and not on your mast.
Not many people will have enough ballls to learn off large waves or lean forward to start with. After you have mastered small ones you can try more difficult stuff later.

Regards,
Scott

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
11 Oct 2008 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Can I try this on my Formula gear in 10 knots???

eyeMhardcor
255 posts
11 Oct 2008 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

The safest way is to wear a sumo suit.

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
11 Oct 2008 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

A good tip to break the psychological barrier when you are learning them is to turn your head and look back at the clew as soon as you sheet in. If you don't do this it can be quite difficult to overcome the 'catapult relex' IE when your brain sees the water coming at you and you're are seemingly going over the front your back hand sheets out. This is the natural reflex that the brain learns to counteract the catapult and can be quite catastrophic when learning forwards. A forward is basically a controlled catapult so you have to teach your brain to ignore such reflexes. Looking back at the clew, I reckon, is one of the best ways to achieve this.

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
11 Oct 2008 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac said...

Best way to learn forward loops is to start off chop that has a small vertical ramp.

Head slightly off the wind, do a chop hop and with you back hand placed about a half a foot further back on the boom, lean back and pull your back hand as hard as you can (so hard its like you are trying to break your boom). Don't think forward at all. Its a bit of an opitcal illusion. If you use this method to learn, even if you dont get around and let go half way, you will just land on your back on the water and not on your mast.
Not many people will have enough ballls to learn off large waves or lean forward to start with. After you have mastered small ones you can try more difficult stuff later.

Regards,
Scott

As above, oversheeting as you go over the front. Yes I've tried it. Wear a wetsuit or better still an impact vest. My back felt like it got the equivalent of a belly buster slap, friends said your back looks really sunburnt. Probably older gear is better as well...I bent my boom in the process.

I found it really hard to get over the psychological barrier. I also found it helped to do one or two without a jump first. ie.' over rotate over the front and land on your back.

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
11 Oct 2008 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

Why certainly. Don't forget to post photos.

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
11 Oct 2008 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

NotWal said...

Wet Willy said...

Why certainly. Don't forget to post photos.

You'll need to jump at least .7m just to clear your fin...and your body will need to fly at least 1m to clear the board. It doesn't count if the board doesn't loop as well as body.

It has been done...not in 10knts.... but yes take photos we need more entertainment.

bobdaboarder
NSW, 184 posts
11 Oct 2008 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

bear away then jump, sheet in, look back i repeat look back then just hold on for the ride.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"safe way to do a forward loop" started by undertacker