Forums > Kitesurfing General

Self-Landing ION2

Created by Ben De Jonge > 9 months ago, 29 Dec 2008
Ben De Jonge
WA, 819 posts
29 Dec 2008 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Prolly should have got this sorted 3 weeks ago when I bought the kite, before I scared myself and some sun bathers at Leightons yesterday.

But how do you self-land an ION2?
Pulling the QR clearly isn't the way forward.

Is it hold the Oh-Sh!t Handle and then pull the QR?

No damage done except some embarrasment.

Cheers

B

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
29 Dec 2008 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

In winds under 20kn I hold the trim strap when the kite is about 3m from the ground. Then I jerk the highest front line so as the kite falls onto the sand in the safe position while holding the trim strap in case the kite misbehaves.

Higher than 20kn I hook my leash to the oh sh1t handle and pop the release. The bar tends to disappear skywards but it seems to be the only way with Ion2's over 20kn.

My 8.5 does not like being self landed in the first way. I think it's too light.

Ben De Jonge
WA, 819 posts
29 Dec 2008 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers BWD. NO wonder It didn't work right.

The trim strap method sound like it requires some confidence, timing and practice.

The other way sound idiot proof.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
29 Dec 2008 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

It requires a good hard jerk of that front line. Practice until you get it perfect. Leave heaps of room downwind for **** ups!!! If the kite doesn't settle nicely keep holding the trim strap. There's a Cabrinha video somewhere on Seabreeze that I watched and copied.

I don't recommend self landing over 20kn anyway. Things can go pear shaped really quickly.

Skinner
ACT, 55 posts
11 Jan 2009 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Any advice for an 07 Atom?

I had to self-land mine last weekend and pulling the upper front line while dropping the bar induced a far more powered spin than I expected (from kite touching sand on wingtip). Thankfully it fell into the wind shadow of a sand dune so there was no drama except for a red face on my part. I reckon it was around the 20kt mark.

Only the second time I've flown it and havent done so for a year, and took a bit of getting used to. Nice kite tho.

Sk

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
11 Jan 2009 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

I have last year's 10.5 and hate self landing the bugger. I only use it as my flat water kite at popular spots, so almost always get an assisted land. I love the kite, treat it like a baby because I don't think it is all that well built...but man does it friggen jump

I clip leash in to oh-**** handle, depower, unhook just above ground...try the infamous flip and if that does not work chuck the bitch. I once had a death spiral in 25knots at Secrets because one of the back lines got tangled in the bar....this feature needs work by Flexi I think.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Self-Landing ION2" started by Ben De Jonge