Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

A new Kialoa paddle.

Created by DavidJohn > 9 months ago, 12 Jan 2009
DavidJohn
VIC, 17454 posts
12 Jan 2009 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

The guys down at the St Kilda beach SupBus just got a new Kialoa paddle called the Hinalea and it's adjustable.

I'm a huge Kialoa fan so I was very keen to check it out and I took these pictures for those who've never seen one.

It's size is somewhere in between my favorite two paddles..The Shaka Pu'u and the Methane.. Here's some spec's.

Blade size 8 1/16" x 16 1/2".

They come in two sizes that adjust about 12" each

74" - 86" and 64" - 76" .

I'm 6'4" and run my Shaka about 86" and Methane about 82" for use in the waves ..The one they had was the longer one and I was using it at about 84"..It felt great.

It's not as light as the other full carbon paddles because Kialoa uses aluminum for the shaft..but it's a good quality stiff and light alloy.. It's T6 6061 for those who know their alloy's.

The top end is about the same diameter as the top diameter in their carbon paddles and the lower hand feels about the same also being slightly larger.. It's a shame that they couldn't get that nice ovalized feel of their carbon paddles.

The adjusting mechanism is like a mic stand.. Just twist, slide and twist to lock it..It worked well. The T grip is made of wood but still the same shape as the carbon paddle.

The paddle floats and didn't leak any water into it and the T grip never twisted.. I think if I bought one I'd use the C4 paddle grip on the shaft for the lower hand.

Here's my pics.

DJ

Kialoa use a foam-core blade and edged in Dynel..It looks very tuff and I liked the rounded blunt shape of the edge of the paddle.

Although they use fiber glass for the blade it's great that they use carbon fiber for the main stress area where the blade meets the shaft.

Yeap...She floats.

Kialoa did a great job matching the feel by using the same shape T grip and shaft diameters are very similar.

The alloy had a nice soft springy feel.. It didn't feel dead like other alloy shaft paddles that I've used and made myself..I'm flexing it here as hard as I can.

These pics show the comparo between the new Hinalea and the Shaka Pu'u.

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
12 Jan 2009 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Nice pics, How much?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17454 posts
12 Jan 2009 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

I don't know the price.. I'll check with the guys at SHQ later today.. I'm sure they'll have stock of them now.

The US prices show the Hinalea as $199 and the Shaka Pu'u as $329.. so..if the Shaka is $499 here I guess the Hinalea will be some where about $350..

DJ

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
12 Jan 2009 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Shaka Pu'u, Methane, Spanker....gotta love the names of these things....who comes up with them all?

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
12 Jan 2009 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

DJ,do you know who sells Kialoa paddles on the Gold Coast?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17454 posts
12 Jan 2009 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

The Kialoa Shaka Pu'u is named after Mel Pu'u..and famous Hawaiian.

The Kialoa Nalu is named after Dave Chuns dog (I think)

The Kialoa Methane was a resulf in a joke between Dave and Blane Chambers (and not baked beans related) and a light gas like the Helium (another Kialoa paddle)

The Spanker name is because the guys at Werner are into S&M... just kidding..

DJ

DavidJohn
VIC, 17454 posts
12 Jan 2009 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

No I don't but I do have Sam's number somewhere.. She's the main Kialoa person down under and I contacted her about getting a Kialoa sticker (the small blue ones) for my car..and she sent me the big black ones that would not go well on a black car with tinted windows..So I stuck em on my boards.. ..I'll get beck to you with that number.

DJ

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
12 Jan 2009 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

BTW,the sticker looks good on the board!

cheers

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
12 Jan 2009 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Does the blue edge have a function or is it just decoration? It doesn't look like in-built edge protection, which would be nice.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17454 posts
12 Jan 2009 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

62mac said...

No I don't but I do have Sam's number somewhere.. She's the main Kialoa person down under and I contacted her about getting a Kialoa sticker (the small blue ones) for my car..and she sent me the big black ones that would not go well on a black car with tinted windows..So I stuck em on my boards.. ..I'll get beck to you with that number.

DJ

Here's Sam's number. I think she's the main Kialoa person in Oz.

I'm sure she won't mind me giving it out here.. .. 0415769218

DJ

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
12 Jan 2009 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks DJ

DavidJohn
VIC, 17454 posts
12 Jan 2009 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

Does the blue edge have a function or is it just decoration? It doesn't look like in-built edge protection, which would be nice.

Hey Gorgo.. That edge strip is interesting.

My local canoe shop here in Kew (Canoes plus I think it's called) showed me the same stuff and recommended that I put it around my blades.. They said it's so tuff and the guys that play water polo in kayaks use it on their blades to prevent cutting others and protect the blade itself.. I think it's a full Kevlar weave tape..and also pretty expencive.

I've whacked my foot and ankle a few times in the past and not wanted to look down for fear of seeing red.. So this thick edge would make it imposable to get cuts from the paddle..and should also help with board rail chipping.

DJ

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
12 Jan 2009 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good. Would be good for experimenting with finding the best paddle length to suit. I am 6 feet tall and my Kialoa Methane is cut to 78". I find it is great at that length for me in the surf, but shorter may be better? It's an expensive exercise to experiment with that paddle. This would be good for determining the best paddle length. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get in touch with Sam Williams [mailto:info@canoesports.com.au] they can put you onto a shop near where you live that stocks them or alternatively supply by mail.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
12 Jan 2009 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

DJ and Chris kindly gave me a go with thier paddles on Saturday and the difference between my old Nexxt paddle and thiers was unbeivable....thanks from me ...not so much thanks form my bank balance

Brooko
1672 posts
12 Jan 2009 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Tux said...

DJ and Chris kindly gave me a go with thier paddles on Saturday and the difference between my old Nexxt paddle and thiers was unbeivable....thanks from me ...not so much thanks form my bank balance

I used to think the old nexxt paddle was good until I got my methane, Now I think its a crowbar, could never go back

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
12 Jan 2009 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone else confused about paddle length? I've got a Werner that is 80" and I'm 5'8" (68") so that's 12" longer and I find it absolutely superb for flat water/distance and actually fine in the surf, also have a timber paddle that is 76" which I mainly use in the surf and a C4 glass paddle that is 73" which feels tiny. Yet I've read on other forums of guys using paddles only slightly longer than their height, partially for shoulder issues but also out of preference. Do you think that injury aside, in the end it is just a preference thing dictated by your style? I'm pretty sure that going quite short (shorter than what feels comfortable initially) in the surf gets you into a better stance earlier for riding and probably for catching the wave. Probably just academic meandering but if I had to go out tomorrow and buy one paddle to use for everything I really wouldn't have a clue what length to get - I've been doing this for two years and wonder what happens in beginner land!

champcrow
SA, 804 posts
12 Jan 2009 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Look's very cool DJ, that edge seem's like a really good idea that might catch on with other paddle IMO

DavidJohn
VIC, 17454 posts
15 Jan 2009 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

I talked with the guys at SHQ yesterday and a price has not yet been set for the new Hinalea paddle.. I'll post the price once I know what it is.

DJ

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"A new Kialoa paddle." started by DavidJohn