Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

Kite Launch technique

Created by waynos > 9 months ago, 15 Jan 2009
waynos
TAS, 171 posts
15 Jan 2009 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

If you are kiting with a mate and it's only the 2 of you on the beach is there a technique to launch each other or does 1 person have to self launch. I could imagine possibly that one person would launch as per normal and then fly their kite down to the edge of the window. When ready kiter #2 would put there kite in the arm of kiter #1. Obviously if this is the case not advisable for beginners, could end up with 2 kites going out of control.

pfr
NSW, 156 posts
15 Jan 2009 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

that is how you do it

DaveSpruce
WA, 568 posts
15 Jan 2009 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Kiter no.2 doesn't have to put the kite in your arm at all. When he's hooked in and ready just pick up the kite with one hand and twist it a bit. Like you say, probably not recommended for beginners

phrase
WA, 228 posts
16 Jan 2009 2:22AM
Thumbs Up

Lik sprucey said you don`t really need put the kite in the others arms, just lift it up and twist abit and when the other chap pulls up the tension on the lines it will right it`self. Don`t know what kite you got but most new kites will sit on it`s side on the water at the edge of the wind window and not do much even if you let go the bar whilst hooked in. Try this on your own first and see how your kite behaves, that way you can pay more attention to the other kite.
But what`s wrong with self launching? It`s so easy with practice and can be alot safer if you are not that experienced trying to keep control of your kite and someone elses. All it takes is a freak gust and all hell breaks loose.
Be safe.

DaveSpruce
WA, 568 posts
16 Jan 2009 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

phrase said...

All it takes is a freak gust and all hell breaks loose.
Be safe.

Totally agree with you. Only problem with self launching is the aforementioned part... I do however encourage everyone to learn self launching and landing, but in controlled conditions. Not down at Melville or a busy Scarbs for the first time[}:)]

nickloop
WA, 138 posts
16 Jan 2009 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

If you use sle kites launch 1 kite then hold mates chicken loop, do not touch bar, then mate gets his kite in launch position and walks back to you takes chicken loop hooks in takes two steps forward and launchs his own kite. Or get a big curly tent peg used for tying dogs up and a climbing clip on a small piece of rope, screw peg into sand grass etc attach rope to it put chicken loop into clip and walk kite out to tighten lines cross wind as launching normally set kite up as if you were holding it for someone else, walk back to bar hold chicken loop, do NOT touch bar, hook in unclip and walk two steps forward and away you go. I have left my nemi tied to a post like this while I went to van to change board, the kite just sits there waiting for you like someone is holding it ready to launch. Its alot safer than holding a kite with yours in the air, no fighting with another kite in one hand while trying to fly your own.

DaveSpruce
WA, 568 posts
16 Jan 2009 3:07AM
Thumbs Up

nickloop said...

If you use sle kites launch 1 kite then hold mates chicken loop, do not touch bar, then mate gets his kite in launch position and walks back to you takes chicken loop hooks in takes two steps forward and launchs his own kite. Or get a big curly tent peg used for tying dogs up and a climbing clip on a small piece of rope, screw peg into sand grass etc attach rope to it put chicken loop into clip and walk kite out to tighten lines cross wind as launching normally set kite up as if you were holding it for someone else, walk back to bar hold chicken loop, do NOT touch bar, hook in unclip and walk two steps forward and away you go. I have left my nemi tied to a post like this while I went to van to change board, the kite just sits there waiting for you like someone is holding it ready to launch. Its alot safer than holding a kite with yours in the air, no fighting with another kite in one hand while trying to fly your own.

In the quiet words of the virgin mary... Cum again...

I beg to differ the statement that it's "safer" to let a kite fly on it's own attached to a tent peg than holding it in your capable hands...

This sounds like overkill to me, and I have never seen anyone do it like this. I'm sure it's possible but why even bother when there's a much much easier way, previously explained..

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
16 Jan 2009 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

l have used all 3 methods above. For the less experienced I would say Nickloops method would be the best. Practice the teathering your chicken loop to something self launch first, then you will see it is a peice of cake. I used to use a sign post on my old spot and use a lanyard with a carabina attached. This beach was very narrow. Holding the leading eadge of your mates kite once you have your kite in the air is a little more tricky because if kite can lanch into your own lines if you are in the wrong position(the chicken loop method obviously eliminates that.) And the self lauch is good again depending on your enviroment, launch 1 kite then self launch the second is probibly the best in the right enviroment. The chicken loop method you could use almost anywhere and is very safe. even if you have to sit the kite out in the water. The only kite i have found that takes a bit of skill to keep it sitting on its edge while walking back to hook in is the 13m ozone edge. This is purely because of its flat shape you have to have your hand on the top line and control it a little as you walk back. Practice on light wind days always helps. (The curly tent peg thing definitely works and it is very safe also this falls into the launch 1 kite and then self launch the second catagory.))

nickloop
WA, 138 posts
16 Jan 2009 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Ive done it both ways and holding the chicken loop is much easier as you havent got to struggle to hold you mates kite in 1 hand and try and fly your own. I carry my carabina and rope(around 300mm long) with me all the time attached to my harness, so where ever I have to land all I need is a post and I can selfland no probs. As said try it in light winds first,and when launching take 2 steps forward or kite may roll backwards when you pull on bar.

milko
NSW, 604 posts
16 Jan 2009 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

i don't know what kind of kites you guys are flying.. but i have an 07 switchblade and an 07 T2. and both these kites self launch with ease.. just run the lines out the back with the leading edge facing the wind.. hook in and walk around pulling the wingtip with you.. when it catches a bit of wind it just stands on its tip ready to go.. i don't want to give any bad advice but i have been doing this since the first day i got a bow/sle and i have never had a problem..once you know what the kites going to do you can launch it on a dime. self landing is where some problems have occurred.

wassaby
QLD, 92 posts
16 Jan 2009 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

im with you milko i do the same thing with my BEST 07 waroo. easy as i reckon. Just the self landing gets tricky. Any one got tips on self landing?

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
16 Jan 2009 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Self launch in the same way as milko....works perfect...... I prefer this to an assisted launch I would add in strong or gusty winds I pukll the trip strap in and set the kite closer to the edge of the window once the kite begins to launch I ease the bar well out...

Self land I use the same method as last years SB ...tried this up to 28knots with no problem

Fly the kite at about 1-2 Oclock ( 10 -11) Grab hold of front lines and release the chicken loop begin pulling the front lines in and down towards you the kite will gradually begin to fall leading edge into the wind........ before focusing on the higher of the two ...kite lands gently everytime (use the higher line to now pull the wingtip further around into the wind....

IN the event of a nasty gust or the like it is important to remember not to let go of the front lines..If you hold onto these the kite will hold hardly any power at all in fact you can even lift the kite again and have a second go if the first doesnt work...

PLEASE NOTE : this is the method I use ..others say this could be dangerous so use caution and practice in light winds with plenty od rooom down wind....

waynos
TAS, 171 posts
16 Jan 2009 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

I can self launch my cult not a problem, just thought it may be safer to try and launch each other but it appears maybe not. Holding your mates chicken loop while he positions his kite sounds the go.Thanks for the tips.

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
16 Jan 2009 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

How Nickloop does it sounds like the safest way if there is a sle there,if not then one should self launch. I have launched other kites on edge of window whilst holding your own and it is very difficult to check there lines before launch while your focused on your own kite, so if lines where crossed up all hell could break loose and take both of you out. With landing 1 guy ( most experienced ) moves his kite to edge of window on opposite side of his mate, then other slowly brings his kite down so 1st guy can catch it. Once caught you should take it off your mate asap and not leave him hanging on to two kites. This is much safer than 1 guy self landing.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
16 Jan 2009 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

This is a picture of my self-launch system that I use at my local beach. ^^
But I mainly invented and built the system for Gnaraloo.....
where a very narrow beach with a minefield of narly rock outcrops,
can make self-launching a bridled kite in 25-30 knot wind a very hazardous exercise.
lol.

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
17 Jan 2009 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

waveslave said...

This is a picture of my self-launch system that I use at my local beach. ^^
But I mainly invented and built the system for Gnaraloo.....
where a very narrow beach with a minefield of narly rock outcrops,
can make self-launching a bridled kite in 25-30 knot wind a very hazardous exercise.
lol.

You carry that sh$t around with you? You need some friends.....

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
16 Jan 2009 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

lol. ^^
You're kidding, right ?
The sandbags fold up small and fit into the pocket of your boardshorts.

iPump
WA, 27 posts
16 Jan 2009 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Waveslave,

Which beach is that looks like nice flat water.........??????

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
16 Jan 2009 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

The inside flats are deadmeat. ^^^
It's not good for doing tricks.

iPump
WA, 27 posts
16 Jan 2009 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

The inside flats never heard of it ?

general_dude
WA, 150 posts
16 Jan 2009 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Why are there so many discussions about self launching - it is an absolute doddle (as per milko - I get the kite around a bit before launching & then when tensioning trot around to minimise dragging on the sand)
It is the landing thing that is always a challenge. Sometimes I do the front line drop from 2oclock, other times (mostly when it is pretty light) I put the kite down onto the sand at the edge of the window & then grab the top front line & pull the kite over (walk upwind at the same time helps).
But neither of these methods is really 100% in strong winds. I reckon the one who works out a system that allows you to drop the kite & then relaunch easily will make some real $$$. This is the one thing I prefer about windsurfing - you can easily come in on a nice day, site on the beach for 15-20mins & then pick your stuff up & head out again. I know you can do it with a kite, but it never really feels easy to me, especially on a crowded beach. It might be an impossible dream!

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
17 Jan 2009 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

the self launch is easy except you only have to worry about human error. this is a list of things I did wrong with self launching over the last two months:
a) forgot to attach one of the back lines - ended up with hot launch and death loop, QR before it got ugly
b) forgot to attach one of the front lines - ended up with hot launch and death loop, QR before it got ugly
c) had kite on wingtip then grabbed bar upside down and ended up with a faster launch than expected, barefoot skiing over sand then QR

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
17 Jan 2009 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^if I see you^^ about to launch Im gunna make sure Im well up wind of you.

Think you need to do a pre-launch check every time,only takes 30 seconds.

Good that your getting plenty of practice on your QR though

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
18 Jan 2009 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

its amazing how the easist of things get forgotten

best not to be complacent and remember to have at least 30-50m clear of people and objects downwind and around you, and also know how to use your QR.

I was starting to get complacent and a few "hot" launches sorted me out.

it is better to have someone launch you if it is possible, just to check for those last minute glitches!

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
18 Jan 2009 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

milko said...

i don't know what kind of kites you guys are flying.. but i have an 07 switchblade and an 07 T2. and both these kites self launch with ease.. just run the lines out the back with the leading edge facing the wind.. hook in and walk around pulling the wingtip with you.. when it catches a bit of wind it just stands on its tip ready to go.. i don't want to give any bad advice but i have been doing this since the first day i got a bow/sle and i have never had a problem..once you know what the kites going to do you can launch it on a dime. self landing is where some problems have occurred.

I'm about to try this method I believe its best to have the bar downwind and kite at the waters edge. Is this correct? Also can this be done on grass ok?

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
19 Jan 2009 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

I would like to try this method as well and I also think it would be better to have the bar downwind but in this case we cant run the lines out the back as Milko said.
I saw on few occasions people launching from parking position looks very good and seems to be more simple than standart selflaunching unfortunatelly Ididnt pick up the details of such exercise any help much appr.

cheers

Fooosh
WA, 563 posts
18 Jan 2009 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

MadKiter007 said...

milko said...

I'm about to try this method I believe its best to have the bar downwind and kite at the waters edge. Is this correct? Also can this be done on grass ok?

If running lines and bar downwind of kite, don't forget to flip your bar (wrong way up / left to right) before attaching to kite. [}:)]

JiP
NSW, 130 posts
19 Jan 2009 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

waveslave said...

lol. ^^
You're kidding, right ?
The sandbags fold up small and fit into the pocket of your boardshorts.

would you be better off hooking that weight to you chicken loop and walking the kite up and to the edge ?

general_dude
WA, 150 posts
19 Jan 2009 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

cezary said...

I would like to try this method as well and I also think it would be better to have the bar downwind but in this case we cant run the lines out the back as Milko said.
I saw on few occasions people launching from parking position looks very good and seems to be more simple than standart selflaunching unfortunatelly Ididnt pick up the details of such exercise any help much appr.

cheers

I always run my lines up wind & connect that way - I'm easily confused.
To do this run out & then lift your kit up & forward. You just need to make the lines from the far tip go under the close tip of the kite (when standing to the side ready to go - if you know what I mean). Definitely do the double checkbefore going. I like walk out until the kite stands up - do this basically no hands - (I normally have the kite on the beach & me in knee deep water) then take a good look at the lines & make sure everything is good before launching. Never had anything even slightly dodgey happen - but I do always double check

Easy as if you take care.
Have fun

MadKiter007
NSW, 134 posts
19 Jan 2009 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

general_dude said...

You just need to make the lines from the far tip go under the close tip of the kite (when standing to the side ready to go - if you know what I mean).

I dont understand I also get confused easily... This is why I think having the bar downwind is easier to see and check lines etc... I havent tried either but for the 1st time I think the bar downwind could be less nerving...

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
19 Jan 2009 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

I thought its better with the bar downwind since if something goes wrong you have much more time to react, hit QR etc.
I also find it more clear with the lines, coming back to selflaunching I understand that you have to do pretty much the same thing as during assisted launch except that a kite is supposed to stand on its tip while you walk around- sounds simple but in this case while they do recommend diffrent method in manuals- I mean side of window with sand on a tip etc.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

"Kite Launch technique" started by waynos