Forums > Kitesurfing General

pull my finger..... amputation by kite lines

Created by colinwill78 > 9 months ago, 2 Feb 2009
colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
2 Feb 2009 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

this is why you need to keep clear of your kite lines.

I was lucky enough to free my arm and most of my hand after my kite luffed and then powered up. pure panic frantic shaking.

missing tip of finger above last knuckle
not so pretty patch job,

i will live to kite another day. (guitar might take a bit longer i think.)
the pretty ugly vegas may not be so lucky. I last saw it drifting for the beach with 1-2 big rips in 'er.

Thanks goes to the guys who assisted me back to shore, and if anyone has any of my gear i will be at the beach in the near future with beer .

Coose
VIC, 229 posts
2 Feb 2009 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

DUDE!!!!!!!!! far out thats nuts!

hope it gets better soon mate, just reminds everyone it can happen to anyone!

Lovely
QLD, 248 posts
2 Feb 2009 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Ouch really sorry to see the finger.

Totally unrelated statement here -
Just think how many people go through kite school and get taught to land their kites by hand over hand down one line to the kite.

Best method - Wedge your board in the sand and tie your flagged line to it.
Stand aside! Walk beside and not in the firing line of the bar! Dont go near your fly lines!

Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
2 Feb 2009 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

OMGWTFBBQ!

DUDE! OUCH!

So did your kite luff, crash into the water and then relaunch while you were trying to pack it up or something? Or did it stay in the air the whole time?

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
2 Feb 2009 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Jimmyz said...

OMGWTFBBQ!

DUDE! OUCH!

So did your kite luff, crash into the water and then relaunch while you were trying to pack it up or something? Or did it stay in the air the whole time?

BBQ.... that's funny.

Kite luffed because i jumped downwind and didn't turn the kite hard enough. It fell backwards through the window, turning downwards and dumping line on me as it went, then it powered up right in the sweet spot and powered 4-5m straight into the water, taking the end of my finger clean orf.

it actually took some bone with it and cut through the fingernail just above the nail-bed

Might have prevented it if i'd triggered the release, but i had to untangle myself first. Also i was a bit over powered on a 16m (40 km wind) the injury may have been slightly less on the right size kite, especially if it was a complete body wrap.

got off lightly.......

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
2 Feb 2009 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Awww fek!

Gawd that is fugly allright.. ya finger is not too pretty either!

Sorry mate - just tryin to give you a giggle.. I know what it's like to feel the lines tighting up around you and preparing for a burnout in the grundies! Glad you did'nt lose an arm or similar.

Might be worth getting a kiteknife - not that I had the smarts to use mine in similar situation (better to have than not though).

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

All the best stumpy

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
2 Feb 2009 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

A nasty reminder to all

......just imagine if it was around your neck

Good luck with the recovery

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
2 Feb 2009 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

Awww fek!

Gawd that is fugly allright.. ya finger is not too pretty either!

Sorry mate - just tryin to give you a giggle.. I know what it's like to feel the lines tighting up around you and preparing for a burnout in the grundies! Glad you did'nt lose an arm or similar.

Might be worth getting a kiteknife - not that I had the smarts to use mine in similar situation (better to have than not though).

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

All the best stumpy

i was thinking of your ugly avatar not long after it happened

kiteknife might be a good investment, but it wouldn't have made a diiference here, my fingertip just pulled straight off.

and to think my parents paid $1000's for braces.... look at those crooked choppers.

Stumpy.

ezza
NSW, 561 posts
2 Feb 2009 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

woah that is some gross finger you have there! glad to hear it wasn't worse though dude... best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Kadkhah
WA, 381 posts
2 Feb 2009 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

Awww fek!...

I just remembered that have got your self in a similar situation not that long ago!
Now I know how lucky you were that you didn't get you leg cut off or getting drowned.

colinwill78 said...

this is why you need to keep clear of your ...

I think if we pull your (half) finger it still can perform like the old one so...
We all waiting for you to get your scar fixed and come back to kiting again.

(Sue North Kites, they are rich)

Good Wind
Alex

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
2 Feb 2009 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hey collin sorry to hear about your misfortunes,
hope it heals fast and you can get beack on the water soon.

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
2 Feb 2009 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

OUCH!!!!!
That hurts to look at, I can only imagine how painful it was. Hope you recover well.
Let's see some green thumbs for Colin's finger.....

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
2 Feb 2009 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Did you get to keep the end bit?

saffieboy
SA, 222 posts
2 Feb 2009 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

NICE!!!

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
2 Feb 2009 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

the end bit was not recovered. I have wondered about its fate, it's out there somewhere....pointing at something. It probably fed a family of crabs.
i will have a service for it this weekend.

dumpvalve
QLD, 33 posts
2 Feb 2009 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

or maybe its fingering someone

skiddz
NT, 237 posts
2 Feb 2009 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

colinwill78 said...
Thanks goes to the guys who assisted me back to shore, and if anyone has any of my gear i will be at the beach in the near future with beer .

Always glad to lend a hand. Looked painful, at the time I thought you got done by a jelly or something. And someone has your kite and stuff, and I dont remember seeing a rip so you might be lucky...

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
2 Feb 2009 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Shame you didn't find it. Keep it in a jar and bring it out for party tricks!!

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
2 Feb 2009 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back from fishing.Caught some good fish but when I was cleaning them one of them had half a finger in its guts.
Think this might belong to you?
It only has half a nail,that has heaps of dirt under it,you should really clean them once and a while.
Good luck for a fast recovery

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
2 Feb 2009 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

Just got back from fishing.Caught some good fish but when I was cleaning them one of them had half a finger in its guts.
Think this might belong to you?
It only has half a nail,that has heaps of dirt under it,you should really clean them once and a while.
Good luck for a fast recovery

just pm'd you my address, if you wouldn't mind popping that in an envelope so i can see if it's mine.

sebol
WA, 753 posts
2 Feb 2009 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Mate, that is soooo gory
Hope you recover fast and there's your night story for the grand kiddies

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
2 Feb 2009 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

skiddz said...

colinwill78 said...

Always glad to lend a hand. Looked painful, at the time I thought you got done by a jelly or something. And someone has your kite and stuff, and I dont remember seeing a rip so you might be lucky...

cheers mate. It wasn't too painful at that stage, but i knew it was coming..... So the vegas lives!!

dumpvalve
QLD, 33 posts
2 Feb 2009 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

spose you havent got any more tips for us ?

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
2 Feb 2009 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

how are you typing??slowly?

also did it hurt heaps or did the pain not kick in till later

Meza
NSW, 13 posts
2 Feb 2009 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

dumpvalve said...

spose you havent got any more tips for us ?

You raise a valid point.....

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
2 Feb 2009 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

So many oneliners available but Greenpat will just edit them out.[}:)]

So I am content to think them and share my mirth with myself!

I am sorry for your injury Col but it has provided us with a wanted distraction!

Get well soon mate!

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
2 Feb 2009 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

myusernam said...

how are you typing??slowly?

also did it hurt heaps or did the pain not kick in till later

my typing is really sucky, lots of mistakes and editing.

it was a dull pain at first, i looked at my finger expecting to see nothing unusual, i got a fright! i rode my outta control kite in, dumped my gear at waist depth and got a lift 2-300m into the beach, walked 500m to the clubhouse, got lift from a beautiful woman. As I got inthe car i knew it was gonna start hurting. It became very sharp throbbing pain like repetitive bee stings all over with extra zing whenever i bumped my dangling fingernail. it pretty much killed until i got the anaesthetic block put in 2 hours later..... but the morphine helped make the experience more fun.
the block wore off about 1o'clock this afternoon..... and it's been sore since.

loving the one liners guys

there was a one liner i thought of the other day but now i can't quite put my finger on it.

sandgroper
WA, 368 posts
2 Feb 2009 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Thats a pretty "sick" finger CW. Hope you recover soon. Thanks for sharing this with us too.

Loose kite strings are absolutely the most deadly things known to man.

I "wrenched" my ring finger in somewhat similar fashion 3 weeks ago (no permanent damage tho). In my case the mistake was thinking I could grab the 2 centre lines (where they join) and hang on as she powered up again (which I've done many times before with tight centre lines).

So boys & girls, if you crash your kite and it looks like it will power up again before you can take up ALL (yes I mean ALL) the slack in your lines --> safety release BEFORE it relaunches.

general_dude
WA, 150 posts
2 Feb 2009 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Wow that looks mean.

I'm sure someone has thought of this before, but....

Why aren't the first 3-4m of kite lines made of thicker stuff?
Wouldn't make any real diff to the way the kite flys but could reduce the chances of this sort of thing happening.

Hope it heals ok.

kitecrazzzy
WA, 2184 posts
2 Feb 2009 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

****, that had to have hurt bad. What options do you have in the artificial region? Your not left handed though are you?

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
3 Feb 2009 1:43AM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave said...

So many oneliners available but Greenpat will just edit them out.[}:)]

That's pointing the finger a bit now isn't it?

colinwill78 said...

there was a one liner i thought of the other day but now i can't quite put my finger on it.

I think I know the one you mean, it's right at my fingertips, but I can't seem to remember it either.

colinwill78 said...

the end bit was not recovered. I have wondered about its fate, it's out there somewhere....pointing at something. It probably fed a family of crabs.
i will have a service for it this weekend.

Fingers crossed you'll find it again.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"pull my finger..... amputation by kite lines" started by colinwill78