jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
15 Jul 2010 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia
WA, 22362 posts
15 Jul 2010 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

So JH3703 you've already had the email from them just like me?

Your reward for entering an online competition where the oh-so-benevolent NP gave away one sail valued at $200 (to them) to the whole world (about half a million entrants?) - spam.

ginger pom
VIC, 1746 posts
15 Jul 2010 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

0:07 to 0:10 - the 2010 Neil Pryde collection after a few uses

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
15 Jul 2010 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

The colours are very distracting.
I hardly noticed the sail!

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
16 Jul 2010 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Its bright, colourful and optimistic, it offends me, shouldn't NP be kind of serious and techi with a voice over by Spock?

"Facinating is a word I use for the unexpected. In this case, I should think "interesting" would suffice".

Quotes from Spock (Star Trek)

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
16 Jul 2010 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Legend status to anyone who can do the "Where's your head at?" Basement Jaxx treatment to this vid, as in replace the face of riders with...

Max Headroom's face.

I know you're out there post production people.

P.S. What's the deal with this sail?

KenHo
NSW, 1353 posts
16 Jul 2010 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

It is the replacement sail for the Alpha. Just a re-name and the typical new season tweaks.
Puzzles me why people get so angry about companies marketing their products. I guess the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.

evlPanda said...

Legend status to anyone who can do the "Where's your head at?" Basement Jaxx treatment to this vid, as in replace the face of riders with...

Max Headroom's face.

I know you're out there post production people.

P.S. What's the deal with this sail?

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
16 Jul 2010 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

It's a great ad, really.

I guess the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.

More like fashion police.

80's being back is just plain weird to me, still. I must be getting old. There's a club here in Adelaide that has an 80's night, there are perhaps 500 teenagers/early twenties bodies packed in, dancing the night away to eurythmics, duran duran etc. on the big screen. I sat in a corner for a while feeling old, alone and very confused.

KenHo
NSW, 1353 posts
16 Jul 2010 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I was thinking the graphic was a bit 80's.
I loathed the 80's fashion and music when I was there and I loathe it more now.
I think it's just the next retro decade, and people are just following a trend without realising how badly it all blows chunks.
There has been a bit of 80's revival in the ski scene too, and it blows there as well.
I blows, it blows, it just blows !!!!

evlPanda said...

It's a great ad, really.

I guess the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.

More like fashion police.

80's being back is just plain weird to me, still. I must be getting old. There's a club here in Adelaide that has an 80's night, there are perhaps 500 teenagers/early twenties bodies packed in, dancing the night away to eurythmics, duran duran etc. on the big screen. I sat in a corner for a while feeling old, alone and very confused.

Gybesports
NSW, 193 posts
16 Jul 2010 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

As a competitor I am envious of their big marketing/production budget for these sail launch videos. Would love to see it put to the track "dead eyes open"

Good marketing NP.

Reflex Films
WA, 1445 posts
16 Jul 2010 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

quite nice particle effects- that were at times used well - and at others it was really distracting and off.

i like how they ramped from crap moves to better ones toward the end of the video - perhaps this is targeted at progressing / intermediate sailors ?

i know nothing more about the sail than i did before the ad

Definitely a bit of a fashion statement and a bit light weight... a few good hacks in there though - which is good to see at any time.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
16 Jul 2010 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

I am going risk being seen as a dilettante (its true) and argue that the kitch is intended. NP should be allowed to have fun with their image, the results they achieve in the PWA speak for themselves.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
16 Jul 2010 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said...

Your reward for entering an online competition where the oh-so-benevolent NP gave away one sail valued at $200 (to them) to the whole world (about half a million entrants?) - spam.

Yes, the SeaBreeze comps are:

A) Much more creative and fun, even the basic "pick a square" ones.
B) Same value prize from smaller, local manufacturers > KA (Thanks KA, Bellisimo Point 7)
C) Better value, more likely to win.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
16 Jul 2010 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Al Planet said...

I am going risk being seen as a dilettante (its true) and argue that the kitch is intended. NP should be allowed to have fun with their image, the results they achieve in the PWA speak for themselves.

Average?
www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?id=2234

I jest - I actually love my Alphas. As described or better. Although if you are reading this Neil they are noisy, and the noise sounds EXACTLY LIKE THUNDER, which can freak you out a bit during those subtropical summer afternoons. "AAAh, it's right above me!!! I'm going to die!!!"

Brent in Qld
WA, 1025 posts
16 Jul 2010 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Great ad... creative brief went Bjork had a dream about colourful sticks and dots then spued it all up while wavesailing. Personally i don't care for technical promos on rig tension, saving 3gms etc... as most top brand Kits is usually top notch. Haven't had a Pryde since the 80's but this raises interest for me... in applying for a job in their creative dept. call me

nasty
WA, 153 posts
16 Jul 2010 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a 12yr old got hold of the special effects button. Couldn't see any windsurfing for all the effects

Java
VIC, 14 posts
16 Jul 2010 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

How did they go so wrong, the new colour scheme belong's at Mardi Gras.

Mark _australia
WA, 22362 posts
16 Jul 2010 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

evlPanda said...

Mark _australia said...

Yes, the SeaBreeze comps are:

A) Much more creative and fun, even the basic "pick a square" ones.
B) Same value prize from smaller, local manufacturers > KA (Thanks KA, Bellisimo Point 7)
C) Better value, more likely to win.

Too right. Laurie being able to give away a $2000 prize from locals, to locals, is a million times better than the biggest manufacturer in the world giving away one sail in the whole world in return for a online survey.
and then spamming all respondees with an ad for the new Atlas.

But hey, I'll be looking for a really good 2009-10 Alpha in a couple of months so the new model coming out, devaluing the old one, will be tops for me!!!

Brent in Qld
WA, 1025 posts
16 Jul 2010 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

And we ponder why windsurfing is a dying old mans sport in Aust. Do something outside the box and we line up to cut that poppy down. Only ever do what has been done before, only ever appealing to the same demographic. I guess J.Howards dream of a conservative strong-hold has become a reality. Certainly don't want to appeal to those outside of the sport, maybe raise the profile with some graphic enhancement, create something that Sports Tonight might take an interest in rather than 10seconds during the Olympics every 4yrs. Hats off to NP for taking a new direction, adding a bit of MTV, or fashion or anything new and giving a digital//graphic artist a go. Someone who is actually in tune with what is going on outside of our sport and punching some life back into the best sport on the planet.

ginger pom
VIC, 1746 posts
17 Jul 2010 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

I loved this one.. but maybe it was just the sound track

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
17 Jul 2010 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

The sparkly light show thing is a bit over done but it's a great looking sail, IMO.

Keen to see the reviews on this sail. I love my Alpha's, I think they're one of the most versatile sails, just hope the Atlas doesn't loose any of the existing Alpha attributes.

ozpricey
WA, 333 posts
21 Jul 2010 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
21 Jul 2010 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

i can't believe pricey gold plated my nieces pet worm!

shame shame shame.

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
21 Jul 2010 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Windxtasy said...

The colours are very distracting.
I hardly noticed the sail!

Totally agree and it was actually hard to watch with all the colour's flashing everywhere.

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
21 Jul 2010 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Its the sizzle man. That's what you sell. The market is adhd kids.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
22 Jul 2010 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

or their dads trying to encourage them!

lots of sports options in the world now....some are percieved by youth as fully coool!

windsurfing?

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
22 Jul 2010 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

windsurfings fully sic!

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
22 Jul 2010 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

my point exactly, justin.

smash the adverts to the public, don't retard them. scheesh.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
22 Jul 2010 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

my point exactly, justin.

smash the adverts to the public, don't retard them. scheesh.

+1

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
22 Jul 2010 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see someone putting some colour back into windsurfing.
Dont know how many on here will remember but when the One Design was pretty much the board of choice back in the day the sails had awesome colour variety and stood out like the proverbial.
People always commented on how "that windsurfing looks great, all that colour"
The Stubbies marathon starting from Manly was a great example. Hundreds of colourful "butterflies" made quite a sight sailing down the harbour.
Not knocking monofilm but the colour and "fun" went out of windsurfing and the general public just didnt notice anymore.

Good on NP for going out there and we know how many NP detractors there are

nosinkanow
NSW, 441 posts
22 Jul 2010 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Who cares what we think. If you are in the older group NP has clearly decided that we are not in their demographics for this sail or new marketing push. If the younger market is enjoying the fashion influences of the '80s they'd be mad to ignore it. If they are looking at appealing to the entry market the exciting visuals will create a desire.

Many of those who experienced the '80s have a polarised view of those days. Personally I loved it, many others didn't and it's the latter that most kids will respond to. Who wants to be involved in a fashion that appeals to their parents? Anarchy wins!

All this scratchin' is making me itch.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2011-NeilPryde Atlas" started by jh2703