Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

A good sharts a dead shart.

Created by busterwa > 9 months ago, 3 Jun 2016
Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe we should try to turn the tables here ?

Take that big fish into big fish tank.

Put tank on main street in Perth so shark could make as many eye contact with passing crowd as want.

Maybe even allow kids to feed them with lollies and small fishes and crabs, ( maybe even small cats and dogs wondering the streets lonely) .

Then after month or a year release the bastard back to the ocean and check if is still hungry on people ?

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Gradient said..

kiterboy said..

Gradient said...

You're right, proof is in the pudding! Shark Shield has been around since the 90's and has been proven to work, no one has ever been bitten with one on. I've seen footage of a very intent GW doing a back flip when it reached a surf safe unit. I'd absolutely get in the water with a GW with a shark shield unit and would certainly use one in WA at this time of the year.

Go on then. Put your money where your mouth is.

And what will that achieve? You'll become an advocate for shark shield? you'll become a responsible ocean user that choses to learn something about sharks to avoid a negative experience?
It's pretty clear that some folks on this forum don't belong in the ocean or any other wild place for that matter. Just out of interest do you wear a seatbelt or do you not bother because they don't save lives 100% of the time? Even if shark shield was only effective 50% of the time your odds of not having a bad shark experience have just doubled!
Not sure if this link works, but it's Hawain Ocean Ramsey free diving out of the cage with a GW in South Australia last week.
https://igcdn-videos-h-1-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t50.2886-16/13379722_284957985184941_1979786911_n.mp4
Knowledge and respect is what is required to be safe in the ocean. If you can't be bothered gaining the knowledge or can't bring yourself to show the required respect then it's time to find a new playground.

No, no, you said you'd absolutely do it, not show pics and videos of other people in questionable circumstances.

Such trifle and so laughable, all this talk about the 'sea-wise shark-whisperers' who swim with sharks. As if that's even close to being comparable to what's really happening in the circumstances when people have been chomped.

Get yourself, or your shark-whisper heroes, over to WA or even where ever you claim they can swim safely with a GW.
Then instead of taking all that time to size up and pick your moment, get on a surfboard and paddle around on the surface. in the very same safe-to-swim-with-GW locations.
Wear a shark shield too if you want.
I bet the photo and video opportunity would show a different story. The true one.

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

ThinkaBowtit said..
Again, we're talking about sharks that don't give you the opportunity to read their body language and react accordingly. Whites are missing from your "different class of animal" list.

You won't believe it but they can be rather easy to read. No not in a attack mode, but swimming around they are rather open book. How do you think people have been able to swim along side them

Stark temperaments and body language is rather interesting once you understand it..

Yeah, all you shark culling hypocrites!!
It's so easy to read shark body language and demeanor when you don't see them coming.

busterwa
3777 posts
9 Jun 2016 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Well let the shark attacks continue dumb bunch of ****en beaners

Tequila !
WA, 859 posts
9 Jun 2016 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Jb so what is the real world solution?

Put in the school mandatory grade curriculum so kids learn how to read sharko body language from an early age?

It is a challenge big enough to teach how to read a simple paper book! Or to swim properly.

Kids these days engage and date via the internet, even the opposite sex body language signals (or same whatever) it seems even that today can't be figured out soo easily as it used to be!

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
9 Jun 2016 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
busterwa said..

I bet you think rape is a good thing

Bara
WA, 647 posts
9 Jun 2016 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think that's the point mate. The powers that be say we personally can't kill great whites to keep the dangerous ones in check cos they think they might be endangered ( despite the growing doubt this is indeed the case - don't forget when they were put on the endangered list it was a benefit of the doubt call) So if we can't do it via fishing like we used to then it's up to the government to do it.

Not crying to the nanny state just saying if I can't do it then governments first responsibility is to keep its taxpayers safe.

As for the reading the sharks crap while I'm paddling on the surface on my board well that just shows how far from reality some peanuts are.

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

busterwa said..

You lost the capacity for meaningful argument a long time ago, but congratulations, that was a new low for you.

Gustenzo
WA, 108 posts
9 Jun 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Death unfortunately is a natural part of life, why are we always trying to stop everyone from dying? Is the population not large enough? Why do we want everyone to live forever! I know it is a natural survival instinct but aren't we smart enough to analyse the future implications?

I see most people who are for the drumlines and cull are just too scared to go into the water now and grossly uneducated about the environmental systems and the implications of making decisions on a finite 'thing' (GWS) and the effects of changing food webs.

You get an engineer and an architect to create a well designed house (people in the know) you don't get Joe Blow no idea to design it. Let the professionals EPA and other environmental managers do there job. If you are to scared to go in the ocean then stay out.

"Everyone should have no fear into going into the ocean, plus I want uncrowded breaks! Lets just make more surf spots with artificial reef all along the coast and impact longshore drift. Hooray for the human race! Sick sad world."

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
9 Jun 2016 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said..

DARTH said..

busterwa said..

You lost the capacity for meaningful argument a long time ago, but congratulations, that was a new low for you.

Only when there is a thread like this you turn up, troll........

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gustenzo said..
Death unfortunately is a natural part of life, why are we always trying to stop everyone from dying? Is the population not large enough? Why do we want everyone to live forever! I know it is a natural survival instinct but aren't we smart enough to analyse the future implications?

I see most people who are for the drumlines and cull are just too scared to go into the water now and grossly uneducated about the environmental systems and the implications of making decisions on a finite 'thing' (GWS) and the effects of changing food webs.

You get an engineer and an architect to create a well designed house (people in the know) you don't get Joe Blow no idea to design it. Let the professionals EPA and other environmental managers do there job. If you are to scared to go in the ocean then stay out.

"Everyone should have no fear into going into the ocean, plus I want uncrowded breaks! Lets just make more surf spots with artificial reef all along the coast and impact longshore drift. Hooray for the human race! Sick sad world."

Yes, bang on.

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

DARTH said..

busterwa said..

Only when there is a thread like this you turn up, troll........

Aww, it's sweet to know you miss me so.

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gustenzo said..

Dream on, buddy.
The anti-cullers are the ones too scared to go in the ocean.

And what are the EPA and such doing about the situation?

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

So, all the armchair environmentalists, AKA Anti-cullers....tell us this:

What were the drastic environmental/ecological disasters we faced 10-20 years ago that were a direct result of the low numbers of GW, that you are saying will happen now if today's numbers are reverted back to what they were?

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said..

Gustenzo said..

Dream on, buddy.

Dream on......

Or is it that you just want to kill for the sake of killing, like busterwa.

Or is it that you don't care because you will be dead by the time the environment is f@#ked.

I bet you dont have kids.....

Gustenzo
WA, 108 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

The EPA recommended against the proposal of drumlins (2014).

The numbers of GWS 10-20 years ago was and I doubt the number now is KNOWN. Surveying and samples are just snapshots at that time over over a certain time period. More information is needed to make the correct choice. Please check out the precautionary principal. If the shark abundance is deemed too high and some sort of cull is found to be necessary then I trust the professionals will have made their choice on sound science with good reasoning behind it. Check out the precautionary principal.

Educate yourself and look up: keystone species, apex predators, mesopredators, higher order effects.

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gustenzo said..

The numbers of GWS 10-20 years ago was and I doubt the number now is KNOWN. Surveying and samples are just snapshots at that time over over a certain time period. More information is needed to make the correct choice. Please check out the precautionary principal. If the shark abundance is deemed too high and some sort of cull is found to be necessary then I trust the professionals will have made their choice on sound science with good reasoning behind it. Check out the precautionary principal.

Educate yourself and look up: keystone species, apex predators, mesopredators, higher order effects.

Ah, so your answer is, apart from recommending against drumlines, the EPA and such are doing, nothing.
That should help.

LOL. 'Educate yourself'. Thanks, dad.

Tequila !
WA, 859 posts
9 Jun 2016 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gustenzo said..

So basically your proposal is do nothing, let more people get chomped. Then after finding out there are too many sharks, lets cull them.

How different is your proposal to what we are basically saying here? The only difference is that you huggers think we didn't had as many deaths to trigger this mechanism.

How many more deaths do you (or other shark huggers) think are necessary to come up with the obvious that is already in place?

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

Gustenzo said..

Dream on, buddy.

Dream on......

Or is it that you don't care because you will be dead by the time the environment is f@#ked.

Well, you're making progress, kind of. Out of four sentences, you made a barely legible statement, so let's explore that shall we.

"Or is it that you don't care because you will be dead by the time the environment is f@#ked."

That statement shows that you know something the rest of us don't.
So with your superior knowledge, do you think you can answer the question I posed earlier?
What were the drastic environmental/ecological disasters we faced 10-20 years ago that were a direct result of the low numbers of GW, that you are saying will happen now if today's numbers are reverted back to what they were?

Please darthoggie, save us from our ignorance.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
9 Jun 2016 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

What a relief, we are not at worst place, most likely to be eaten alive.

Now Florida leads !

edition.cnn.com/travel/article/tips-to-avoid-shark-attacks-trnd/index.html

BTW , those happy Yankee tips remind me those from nuclear era.To avoid atomic blast , hide under the table and close your eyes.

Both must be super efficient in critical situations.
Duck and cover drill at school.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
9 Jun 2016 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said...
DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

Gustenzo said..

Dream on, buddy.

Dream on......

Well, you're making progress, kind of. Out of four sentences, you made a barely legible statement, so let's explore that shall we.

"Or is it that you don't care because you will be dead by the time the environment is f@#ked."

So with your superior knowledge, do you think you can answer the question I posed earlier?

Do you have kids? If you don't understand it's too late for you.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
9 Jun 2016 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

I never tough about this before ?!

Indeed when you are windsurfer or kiter preparing your gear on the grass patch watch on those crazy cows.

They are so territorial animals that will kill you in not time, while protecting their grass .

Think about that next time.
Crazy cow will smack you in the face with her tits with the force 655 x times stronger that is crunching jaw force of the biggest shark
But there is always explanation and excuse. You are invader , in their green territory.
You could only blame yourself next time.

Beside I heard that cows are sacred too and under strict protection ( at least somewhere) .

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
9 Jun 2016 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said...
DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

Gustenzo said..

Dream on, buddy.

Dream on......

Go read The Unnatural History of the Sea

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
9 Jun 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
busterwa said...
Well you can become an English teaher at 60 grand a year And ill change your tap seal for 120k.

I am. 120k a year. Head of Department. Need some tutoring?

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
9 Jun 2016 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
busterwa said...
Well you can become an English teaher at 60 grand a year And ill change your tap seal for 120k.

Btw, I reseated my bathroom taps last year. It isn't that hard. Think the tool was $6 from Bunnings.

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
9 Jun 2016 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

No idea what that is, but I know the house is almost fifty years old. So not much head but age?

busterwa
3777 posts
9 Jun 2016 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

hope you get attacked then. Its a no brainer?Hopefully its going to be open to commercial fisherman. About time.

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

kiterboy said...

DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

Gustenzo said..

Dream on, buddy.

Dream on......

Do you have kids? If you don't understand it's too late for you.

Can't answer te question? All bluster, no substance.
I hope you don't have kids, they certainly won't learn how to present their points of views from you.

kiterboy
2614 posts
9 Jun 2016 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..

kiterboy said...

Go read The Unnatural History of the Sea

Give us a brief summary.
Use your intellectual skillz to enlighten us lowbrow folk, instead of just hoping one person takes up your reading list recommendation.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
9 Jun 2016 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said...
Gustenzo said..

Dream on, buddy.

I spend time on, in and under the ocean
And I'm not keen on a shark cull, I am conciouse though of the threat,
Same as when I get on a roof, go riding my bike , riding my quad,
My eldest brother used to race bikes all over the uk, he's got pins , lost his left leg below the knee, multiple scars , broken bones , usually the 1st thing he'd ask was how's me bike, he'd rebuild and tune something that would kill him,
Maybe class watersports as an extreme sport
And accept the risks, I do

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"A good sharts a dead shart." started by busterwa