Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

New Music, 2014+ - Post It Here

Created by evlPanda > 9 months ago, 18 Dec 2014
Wineman
NSW, 1412 posts
22 Dec 2014 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

Ian K said..
Hardware, software, knobs or not, if you step into a music store the walls are still lined with $550 guitars. Can you ever see these things ever taking over as the instrument of choice for the don't-give-up-your-day-job musician?

Hmm curly one. A lot depends on what music you like. I'd say there's millions of d-g-u-y-d-j musos playing around with burnt copies of rebirth, ableton, all that stuff. Maybe before the tech existed they'd have bought guitars or bongo drums or whatever?

One harsh way of looking at it would be to say that guitars without any tech added all sound like variations of jack johnson. Nice once a year round the campfire but pretty cliched the rest of the time.

Here's a guy that just makes a guitar make all kinds of noises that please me - but it's all tech creating the sounds, the guitar is essentially just an input device for note data.

Good one Kiteboy. A great example of todays guitar genre using tech. Loved the ending
Have seen a few of our top session musos live recently (like Rex Goh) who are playing awesome guitar

Cobra
9106 posts
22 Dec 2014 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Cobra
9106 posts
22 Dec 2014 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

bit early,

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
22 Dec 2014 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

i want that "why you gotta be so mean" tune for my doorbell.

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
22 Dec 2014 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

myusernam
QLD, 6112 posts
23 Dec 2014 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mastbender said..
I never knew what this song was about until I found it on YouTube, I just knew I liked it, now I know what it's about.
Much like Coldplay, kinda catchy, a bit mainstream, but in a reggae sort of way.

you're kidding? I would have thought this is one of the most descriptive songs with the clearast lyrics of what it's about out there.

anyway along the same lines of liking a song a lot more after you've seen the film clip this is my vote.

myusernam
QLD, 6112 posts
23 Dec 2014 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

mark I disagree that there are no new genre's out there. See below . I call it "WTF - there's no way I'm ever letting my kids watch rage"
watch this in horror.

and the parody is pretty funny after watching. actually has sir mixalot in it. one of the best parodys ive seen. Ironic that only a few years ago sir mixalot made the origonal as a tounge in cheek song and now retards are getting butt implants

myusernam
QLD, 6112 posts
23 Dec 2014 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

and i got this of the zapatdu best of the web. not a bad tune actually.

Mastbender
1972 posts
23 Dec 2014 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..

Mastbender said..
I never knew what this song was about until I found it on YouTube, I just knew I liked it, now I know what it's about.
Much like Coldplay, kinda catchy, a bit mainstream, but in a reggae sort of way.

you're kidding? I would have thought this is one of the most descriptive songs with the clearast lyrics of what it's about out there.

anyway along the same lines of liking a song a lot more after you've seen the film clip this is my vote.

Nope, not kidding, the only times I heard it before was in my van while driving, and I couldn't make out the lyrics.
But yes, it's easy when you can watch it, and listen to it at home.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
2 Jan 2015 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Well here's some fairly leftfield stuff I've been enjoying lately. Quite a few were on a site's list of '100 best tunes of last 10 years'.

Note: no pretty girl clips as such. Just intense, dark, music. Tunes that tend to be growers not showers if that makes sense.

This was on a Blawan mix I like, I never knew who it was.

bit more upbeat

And a weird one to finish, pretty funny clip

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
2 Jan 2015 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

I just happened to be watching this while listening to the 2nd last one - Mosca..

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
14 Jan 2015 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

I almost forgot to mention, because of a lengthy break away from PC, that my vote for best album of 2014 was
Thievery Corporation's Suadade

These guys have been around for donkey's years now delivering their own instantly recognisable, trip-hop sound that has evolved form album to album, I think a little bit in the wrong direction. You'll probably recognise their song "Lebanese Blonde".

And then suddenly they release this, which is still their sound, but nothing but female vocals and bossa nova. WTF? And it's just awesome. Best sudden direction change for a band I've ever heard, even though it's their core sound that's been hiding under layers of cool all these years.

This album is completely approachable by anyone and is appropriate to almost anytime of the day or event. Going for a sail? Perfect. Dinner party? Cool. Grandma coming over for lunch. Perfect. Breakfast? Perfect. Late at night? Yep. Driving? Yep.

Everybody will like it. I love it.

kiterdan
WA, 679 posts
14 Jan 2015 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

This is me - Dan Peters and the Volatyles - and a 'pop' kind of song I released last year.

Filmclip shot in Freo and Mt Lawley.

Watch for the side boob action...

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
14 Jan 2015 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to a watch when I get home Dan ^^

meanwhile

https://soundcloud.com/thesmithstreetband/wipe-that-****-eating-grin-off-your-punchable-face

replace stars with s h i t

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
14 Jan 2015 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

That was cool Dan, clip told a story with a little twist. Got anything less pop (audio only is cool..)

The last 2 nights on my commute I've been lucky enough to catch virtually the full show of these Island Music series. Blown me away. If you like reggae/roots/dub beyond 'bob's greatest hits' (yawn) then these shows are absolutely amazing, he tells a story 1 line at a time between perfectly selected tunes. Can't recommend highly enough (ha ha). Reminds me of sunday avos playing pool at dub sessions in the valley..

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/islandmusic/

It was the dub episode tonight and he showcased Lee Scratch Perry - Absolute pioneer invented a lot of dub sounds in the 70s, and still moving with the times, remixing his own tunes 40 years later, still pumping out cutting edge dub tunes at 70 + yrs old.

ps evl to my ear this first one is very close to 'true dubstep' ie not brostep..

kiterdan
WA, 679 posts
21 Jan 2015 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey kiteboy Dave - check it out soundcloud.com/danroberts-3/ !

DavMen
NSW, 1498 posts
27 Jan 2015 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

My eldest son hosts "The Band Next Door", a radio programme, showcasing the latest (and sometimes not so latest) bands in and around Australia.

Here is his fav's for 2014

2ser.com/

Cassa
WA, 1305 posts
27 Jan 2015 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

After listening to your music posted KB Dave, I now know why your face is the way it is

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
27 Jan 2015 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Cassa.. yep it's getting worse lately I've been listening to this 4 hour mix at work from a sunrise in the desert set at burning man festival
soundcloud.com/robot-heart/lee-burridge-robot-heart-burning-man-2013
You need quality speakers/headphones as the bass is big & low when it comes in at 2:10 it makes my face go just like that

Davmen - some quality tunes there

kiterdan - cheers mate you'll go far I reckon ..

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
28 Jan 2015 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..

Here's a guy that just makes a guitar make all kinds of noises that please me - but it's all tech creating the sounds, the guitar is essentially just an input device for note data.

i don't think there's anything special going on there like guitar triggering midi data, but i did really enjoy the guitar work, and him acknowledging his own guitar w*nk efforts at the end

I enjoyed the Jai Paul song

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
29 Jan 2015 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavMen said..
My eldest son hosts "The Band Next Door", a radio programme................

there's not much i can listen to a whole album of these days, but i quite liked the first songs of The Peep Tempel and Sleepmakeswaves

ockanui
VIC, 1299 posts
13 Feb 2015 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Now this tune is a year or so old but have a listen to Sticky Fingers, a young, well they look pretty young to me band from Sydney who are very cool and plays some great tunes, do your self a favour, kick back and enjoy....

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
13 Feb 2015 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

is there really such a thing as new music ?

i dont think we need it with old music like this still around

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
13 Feb 2015 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
evlPanda said..
I almost forgot to mention, because of a lengthy break away from PC, that my vote for best album of 2014 was

These guys have been around for donkey's years now delivering their own instantly recognisable, trip-hop sound that has evolved form album to album, I think a little bit in the wrong direction. You'll probably recognise their song "Lebanese Blonde".

And then suddenly they release this, which is still their sound, but nothing but female vocals and bossa nova. WTF? And it's just awesome. Best sudden direction change for a band I've ever heard, even though it's their core sound that's been hiding under layers of cool all these years.

This album is completely approachable by anyone and is appropriate to almost anytime of the day or event. Going for a sail? Perfect. Dinner party? Cool. Grandma coming over for lunch. Perfect. Breakfast? Perfect. Late at night? Yep. Driving? Yep.

Panda,
They're channelling a little bit of 'Girl from Ipanema' beats and a bit of Grace jones - really like this. Thanks.

Cassa
WA, 1305 posts
14 Feb 2015 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

evlPanda said..

Panda,
They're channelling a little bit of 'Girl from Ipanema' beats and a bit of Grace jones - really like this. Thanks.

Totally agree , loved it

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"New Music, 2014+ - Post It Here" started by evlPanda