Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

New Music, 2014+ - Post It Here

Created by evlPanda > 9 months ago, 18 Dec 2014
evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
18 Dec 2014 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Being that most of these music threads seem to think that music stopped being written around 1978 I thought it'd be nice to find some new music too.

I'm liking Angus And Julia Stone's new album. It's neither better nor worse than their previous ones, but different in feel. A little more rock and a little less folk perhaps. Better production. Slightly darker even. I think they have a new drummer and bass guitar, or they've improved a lot, which has made a difference. Their songwriting is still simple/refined yet unexpected and catchy.

Oh yeah - And Julia has stopped trying to impersonate E.T. "Ellllliiooooooottt". Honestly I don't know why she put that stupid style on in the earlier albums. I saw them live and she was beautiful. The earlier albums her voice sounds like an old babushka that has lived in the woods for a million years. Or a cheap attempt at sounding like Portishead. She's come out of her shell now.

edit: AHAAAAAA!!! It's because of Rick Rubin (just read a review of the album).
Damn, I've been enjoying his production since Slayer's Reign in Blood : \
Everything he touches is gold.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
18 Dec 2014 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Quite possibly my favourite mix & tune of 2014:

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
18 Dec 2014 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

2013, but easy on the eye

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
18 Dec 2014 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

+1 for this Thread, and +1 for Angus and Julia!

Ben Howard's new album

#t=13

Cant go past Ed Sheeran

Some Damien Rice?

DavMen
NSW, 1498 posts
18 Dec 2014 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Every thing this Melbourne band does is gold!

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
18 Dec 2014 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

I've had this on the ipod since the beginning of the year and have only just watched the film clip - oh to be young again.

Ben 555
NSW, 453 posts
18 Dec 2014 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

With you Davman - saw peep temple a few months back - fantastic

Also from 2014 with an angular bent - Infinity broke -

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
18 Dec 2014 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Sausage, loved that. Peep Tempel worth a go too.

This is Asa Broomhall, one to watch. Not my normal cuppa tea but a QLD band on the way up.

Mark _australia
WA, 22285 posts
18 Dec 2014 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

new music thread - where is the 'new'???

every one of the above would fit in 2004 - or 1994 - but it is actually 2014.

Not been a new genre, or a serious refinement of an existing one, for 20yrs plus ............

so sad that the last big thing was probably Nirvana and Pearl Jam.............. or Prodigy ........ or maybe Crystal Methods weird stuff or that weird semi dance trance thing with the monks chanting in about 1990.....

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
19 Dec 2014 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Not been a new genre, or a serious refinement of an existing one, for 20yrs plus ............

so sad that the last big thing was probably Nirvana and Pearl Jam.............. or Prodigy ........ or maybe Crystal Methods weird stuff or that weird semi dance trance thing with the monks chanting in about 1990.....

This attitude generally just means you're past it musically speaking - no longer listening anymore

This man invented an acoustic instrument that sounds electric - new enough for you? Listen to at least the first 3 mins, pretty mind blowing.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
19 Dec 2014 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said..

Not been a new genre, or a serious refinement of an existing one, for 20yrs plus ...........

Technology is enabling all different types of music to be mashed together now with big beats & bass driving the whole lot. Bassnectar does it exceedingly well.

www.bassnectar.net/2013/07/immersive-music-mixtape-side-one/

and if you like that there's more free mixes at
www.bassnectar.net/music/

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
19 Dec 2014 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Yeah. Nah.

Long post warning. Honestly, if I was going to fall into any other career it would have been DJ/Producer. So bear with me : )
All links bar one.

Just to counter Mark's argument and hopefully enlighten those that have been living under a rock I'm going to throw some examples of new genres in here. Not all 2013/14/15 but all recent. And yeah - I can name artist and song for nearly any techno track you can play me circa 1991. And I don't mean 2-Unlimited. I only mention that because I suspect you are the same Mark. : ) Electro/modern music has changed. A lot.

The obvious - DubStep.
No, not that American version that you all know and hate, with 'the drop'. The one where you don't have close to the correct Hi-Fi system to hear it as it was intended. Hell - there are perhaps two clubs that have a sound system that fits the bill 100%. Guys were cutting vinyl specifically for a single club's sound system at one stage (and perhaps still are).

Skream - Midnight Request Line

Personally I don't like it most of the time, but there are a lot of genres I don't like. Sometimes I don't like Miles Davis. It depends on time and place. Kode 9 and Skream are my favourite from this genre.

Say wha'? - Post Dubstep
Burial is perhaps the only true artist to come out of electro, ever. Says me. It's so, er, broken, that you can't help but feel the tracks. They're haunted. There's a real spiritual presence to them. He puts the tracks together without a sequencer, so the timing is all off. It has a real human feel to it all as a result. Or perhaps the souls of humans trapped in South London using bits of scrap for instruments played within the medium of radio waves cascading across the city like rain. All the while some dark, giant, oozing electric, foreboding presence creeping through the city. A giant background soundscape. Yeah - that's how I'd describe Burial. : \

Technically this is from a genre called "3 a.m. Bus Ride" (I'm serious) but "Post-Dubstep" will also do, and is a much wider genre.

Interestingly for us Mark Burial chose his name for the death of Rave music. He was too young to go raving circa 1991 but would always hear his brother mix tapes and pirate radio. Thus his unique sound. You can hear rave music in the background all the time; far off in both time and distance, the tape a little warped, the static of the radio waves cutting through it all.

Honestly THIS ALBUM is my pick for best electronic album. Ever.
Burial - Untrue It's why the example is not just a link to copy-paste like the others.

Also see Skream's more average punter accessible tracks like Where You Should Be

And how could we forget James Blake? -

C'mon Mark; who does James Blake sound like?

Everything new is old again - R & B
I can't believe I like R & B either. 'Nuff said on that matter.
While R & B is obviously not a new genre it bears (it is 'bears' not 'bares' btw - looked it up) little if any resemblance to its former self and is worthy of the title 'old genre in name only'.

The Weeknd (pronounced Weakened kids FFS) - What You Need

See what I like about, especially the frist three mix tapes, was his honesty, revealing his weaknesses, mainly for drugs and women. It's not about how ****ing awesome and rich and attractive he is. Or if it begins like that it all kinda melts throughout the song, and he falls. "I ain't afraid of the fall, I've been there before"

C'mon Mark - Who does this remind you of? Pearl Jam? The Prodigy?

Frank Ocean - Pyramids

This song melts half way through. The semi-cheesy anthem first half is intentional. The strippers are all sad.

It's R & B, but not like it used to be.

I'd like to add here all three of The Weeknd's first albums are available for free on the interwebs, as are the first tow (or is it one) of Frank's. It's the new style - they release an album or 'mixtape' for free. They are so good they are launched into stardom based on the music alone; zero marketing.

...and I didn't even get to 'Electro'! Next time.

And this one, while not a new genre, is especially for you Mark ; )

Mastbender
1972 posts
19 Dec 2014 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

I guess I'll be the one to post this, a yank like me, no less, but this is good!

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
19 Dec 2014 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Good thread Panda, I'm playing it with interest. So what does it say if so far I've resolved to ACDC 2014? Songs go for no more than 3 mins and 20 seconds and musicians gotta tap a foot. I like Yabahar's new invention, very good, but he's going to have to learn to tap his foot before he'll get a tune out of it.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
19 Dec 2014 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Genre: Footwork

By the way I'm having a hip operation this afternoon.
Oh, what is it?
It's so hip you've probably never heard of it.

hyperdub.net/

I got this huuuuge collection of cool ****, and i'll post a few here, but honestly lately I'm getting into classical. Hillary Hahn is my new crush.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
19 Dec 2014 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
19 Dec 2014 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Honestly masty I'm not in this thread to argue but that new Acdc song almost made me cry at how far they've fallen. Looked&sounded like the retirement home Acdc tribute band .plus it was written as an ad for baseball or some other boring yank Sport. Shocking.

Seacht
WA, 376 posts
19 Dec 2014 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

I am liking the smith street band a lot right now

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
19 Dec 2014 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

evl I'm pretty keen on the new Electribe that's not quite in stores yet. There aren't many vids yet, only a few pre-release models floating round. But it's all in one box, and can run off 6 x AA batteries and will be relatively super cheap at $550. Have a look at these 2 vids - recorded straight off the electribe, no mastering, no laptop, no other equipment. I reckon I could just about disconnect the internet, chuck away the mp3s (except for sampling) and just spend my limited free time making cool music. I picked these 2 for diverse sound/styles, not neccessarily the best use.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
19 Dec 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Whack some cans on and tell me this is somewhere between prodigy and nirvana. While you're at it, tell me how many samples you can identify - ie how many sampled sounds from life around us he's used to make an incredible piece of music. For every one you pickup there's 10 more you'll need to re-listen for.

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
20 Dec 2014 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

we are very lucky if we meet someone else with identical musical tastes, imho it's extremely rare. once we realise this and learn to keep ones opinions about other peoples musical tastes to ones-self, life gets a whole lot more pleasant especially in the studio

but honestly people, this 2014 stuff is just sh!t

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
20 Dec 2014 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
20 Dec 2014 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

yeah yeah, i know it's mainstream, but it's catchy

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
20 Dec 2014 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haircut said..
but honestly people, this 2014 stuff is just sh!t

----->

------------>

---------------------->

but here's some:

COLDPLAY!!!

well played

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
20 Dec 2014 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

djentlemen

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
20 Dec 2014 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Get with it , jake bugg, , arctic monkeys, alt j, music to my ears

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
21 Dec 2014 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..
evl I'm pretty keen on the new Electribe that's not quite in stores yet. There aren't many vids yet, only a few pre-release models floating round. But it's all in one box, and can run off 6 x AA batteries and will be relatively super cheap at $550. Have a look at these 2 vids - recorded straight off the electribe, no mastering, no laptop, no other equipment. I reckon I could just about disconnect the internet, chuck away the mp3s (except for sampling) and just spend my limited free time making cool music. I picked these 2 for diverse sound/styles, not neccessarily the best use.

try the korg ims-20 for iPad, around $35, a little bit daunting to start with but so many features, drum machine, sequencer, synth, kaoss pad

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
21 Dec 2014 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Poida said..

kiteboy dave said..

try the korg ims-20 for iPad, around $35, a little bit daunting to start with but so many features, drum machine, sequencer, synth, kaoss pad

Unfortunately fruit products are banned in my abode and Korg are pretty much the only example I've ever come across in recent times where they *only* make mobile software for fruit products. It might be that musos and vid production guys traditionally used fruit products. It might just be that they're lazy. Either way, unfortunately I'm out. Shame as the stuff looks good. I have to say tho I prefer hardware, twidding a knob on a screen just doesn't feel the same.

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
21 Dec 2014 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hardware, software, knobs or not, if you step into a music store the walls are still lined with $550 guitars. Can you ever see these things ever taking over as the instrument of choice for the don't-give-up-your-day-job musician?

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
21 Dec 2014 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ian K said..
Hardware, software, knobs or not, if you step into a music store the walls are still lined with $550 guitars. Can you ever see these things ever taking over as the instrument of choice for the don't-give-up-your-day-job musician?

Hmm curly one. A lot depends on what music you like. I'd say there's millions of d-g-u-y-d-j musos playing around with burnt copies of rebirth, ableton, all that stuff. Maybe before the tech existed they'd have bought guitars or bongo drums or whatever?

One harsh way of looking at it would be to say that guitars without any tech added all sound like variations of jack johnson. Nice once a year round the campfire but pretty cliched the rest of the time.

Here's a guy that just makes a guitar make all kinds of noises that please me - but it's all tech creating the sounds, the guitar is essentially just an input device for note data.

Mastbender
1972 posts
22 Dec 2014 3:40AM
Thumbs Up

I never knew what this song was about until I found it on YouTube, I just knew I liked it, now I know what it's about.
Much like Coldplay, kinda catchy, a bit mainstream, but in a reggae sort of way.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"New Music, 2014+ - Post It Here" started by evlPanda