Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

The Funny Images Thread

Created by evlPanda > 9 months ago, 26 Feb 2009
hargs
QLD, 634 posts
21 Jun 2015 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
21 Jun 2015 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

and to to the previous posters it's the funny image thread, if you don't like it don't log on.

here's a bit of lou to make you really think

jn1
2454 posts
21 Jun 2015 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
21 Jun 2015 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hargs said..

and to to the previous posters it's the funny image thread, if you don't like it don't log on.

I think terry or lofty has a new log in...

Spark
WA, 208 posts
21 Jun 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said...
hargs said..

I think terry or lofty has a new log in...

Must be lofty. Terry would be pimping ozone.

Stubbies
WA, 1126 posts
22 Jun 2015 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
22 Jun 2015 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Water temperature sign on a french beach

Spocktek
WA, 281 posts
22 Jun 2015 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
22 Jun 2015 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
23 Jun 2015 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

once you see the picture you are never going to forget this law of physics

japie
NSW, 6815 posts
23 Jun 2015 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
23 Jun 2015 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

seapig
TAS, 67 posts
23 Jun 2015 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Thats the best description of the E - I - R and ohms law i have seen in thirty eight years of trying to explain it to the 'lay' person.
And by the way, It is correct.

myusernam
QLD, 6112 posts
23 Jun 2015 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seapig said..
Thats the best description of the E - I - R and ohms law i have seen in thirty eight years of trying to explain it to the 'lay' person. And by the way, It is correct.

oh no it isn't. You must be an electrician. they teach 'conventional'current flow. The volts should be on the right, looking pretty/ attractive. current flows from earth to the potential. Not the other way around.

but still a good explanation for the laypoerson

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
23 Jun 2015 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

hargs
QLD, 634 posts
23 Jun 2015 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
23 Jun 2015 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
23 Jun 2015 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..

seapig said..
Thats the best description of the E - I - R and ohms law i have seen in thirty eight years of trying to explain it to the 'lay' person. And by the way, It is correct.

oh no it isn't. You must be an electrician. they teach 'conventional'current flow. The volts should be on the right, looking pretty/ attractive. current flows from earth to the potential. Not the other way around.

but still a good explanation for the laypoerson

Current is taken as flowing from positive to negative, even though the electrons might be flowing the other way. So the diagram is correct.

Best diagram ever, btw

jusavina
QLD, 1458 posts
23 Jun 2015 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if that the right thread or heavy weather but I post it anyway...

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
24 Jun 2015 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nebbian said..

Current is taken as flowing from positive to negative, even though the electrons might be flowing the other way

interesting

like myusername, I was ejumikated to ignore the conventional current flow diagrams on the components as it was now (then) considered defunct, electron current flow was gospel, and learn to read/diagnose the circuit in reverse (1990-1991)

maybe it's like english, where one teacher tells you it's okay to start a sentence with "But or And" and another says it's a no no

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
24 Jun 2015 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
24 Jun 2015 1:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haircut said..

nebbian said..

Current is taken as flowing from positive to negative, even though the electrons might be flowing the other way

interesting

like myusername, I was ejumikated to ignore the conventional current flow diagrams on the components as it was now (then) considered defunct, electron current flow was gospel, and learn to read/diagnose the circuit in reverse (1990-1991)

maybe it's like english, where one teacher tells you it's okay to start a sentence with "But or And" and another says it's a no no

To quiet the quarrel about current I may only say that maybe yours misunderstanding come from assumption that only electrons are responsible for current, but there are electrolytes, plasma, and semiconductors....(?) so that is simply convention, agreed status quo

Stubbies
WA, 1126 posts
24 Jun 2015 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

whillie
5 posts
24 Jun 2015 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Ahh, fellers so much talk about current , what do I know about current! when I turn the switch on the light comes on "current" simple.........

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
24 Jun 2015 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Yes the first guess was the wrong way around. But i agree with Macro. Current is current, doesn't matter whether it's negative electrons or positive holes, ( unless you're designing a revolutionary semi-conductor I suppose?). But these days wouldn't most current be in semi-conductors? As positive holes? In which case the first guess was right after all? Thought I had this sorted, now I don't know, thanks Macro.

For once youtube doesn't help.

Hands up who focused on the red wire looking for the first electron.

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
24 Jun 2015 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
happytimes said..
look put it to bed
they were wrong about the flow of current
they were wrong about the magnetic properties of voltage
they know this now, but mass correction was rendered as unnecessary as it makes no difference to the math and it seems to confuse some
as for marcos assertion that current is not always the flow of electrons. .....well, unless you've discovered matter on this planet that isnt made up of atoms.......what's that, oh you havent discovered that yet, then current is still only made up as a measure of columbs which is a measure of electrons flowing past a point......
end of lesson

I am not sure what are you ranting about but you sir did well for your first post collecting that many red thumbs! I am sure even Milsy and Logman did not perform that good!

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
24 Jun 2015 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

FFS isn't this the 'Funny Image' thread NOT high school electrical class?

rod_bunny
WA, 1089 posts
24 Jun 2015 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ian K said..
Hands up who focused on the red wire looking for the first electron.

Was that a Higgs Boson shooting off to the left?

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
24 Jun 2015 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

pineapple
SA, 28 posts
24 Jun 2015 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haircut said..

nebbian said..

interesting

Eh? Where were you ekjumikated that? When was it considered defunct? I've got a piece of paper somewhere that says I qualified as an Electrical/Electronic Engineer in 2001 and it certainly wasn't defunct then.

Positive current, by convention, is the rate of flow of positive charge, that's all there is to it.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"The Funny Images Thread" started by evlPanda