Forums > Kitesurfing General

2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Wrap Up

Created by WAKSA > 9 months ago, 18 Dec 2011
WAKSA
WA, 813 posts
18 Dec 2011 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to EVERYONE who was involved in today's race: participants; volunteers; the freestyle boys who came down to entertain us; friends, family, Red Bull crew; safety boats; sponsors - Red Bull; Cabrinha; YJS; Dreamboats; Rottnest Express...If I've missed anyone, I'm sorry but thank you.

I need a beer & look forward to post race discussions in half an hour.

Will post photos on WAKSA Facebook page asap depending on how many beers I get in tonight....[}:)]

Jonopark
WA, 399 posts
18 Dec 2011 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't race but great turn out. How low was that helicopter!!! Well done to the winner he blitzed the feild!!!!

WAKSA
WA, 813 posts
18 Dec 2011 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Results:

Mens:
Dale Stanton 1st (the best dressed hobo on the day)
Alex Genz 2nd
Marty Farrow 3rd

Women:
Keira McFarlane 1st

photos and more to come on our FB site.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
18 Dec 2011 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

Another awesome event.
Props to ALL but esp the large no. of WAKSA volunteers.
Great work & thanks.

Intheozone
WA, 247 posts
18 Dec 2011 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic event, well organised. Shame the wind was on the light side. but amazing.

WAKSA crew did an awesome job really helpful. Can't wait till next year.

Ioz
WA, 491 posts
18 Dec 2011 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

A great event,

so many different experiances,

and of course, not all that went acording to plan ...

after party was even better than last year >>>

onwards and upwards,

dalestanton
WA, 272 posts
19 Dec 2011 1:35AM
Thumbs Up

Amazing race. Super stoked right now.

Need to mention the race was superbly run again. Many thanks to Tim for organising the race and persisting with the event even with a postponement a few weeks ago.
And to the hard working WAKSA crew who made the event possible.

Thank you all.

Cheers
Dale

DazzaRap
WA, 60 posts
19 Dec 2011 5:39AM
Thumbs Up

Terrific event. Organisation was top class and not in your face. Very well done indeed. Great fun, and that's what it's about.

Huge thanks to Red Bull, Rottnest Express, Cabrinha, Kite Addiction, Royal Life, Dreamboats and Freo Port, and all the volunteers that gave up their day, and the committee that no doubt did the hard yards and Tim especially.

Dazza

eneour
WA, 104 posts
19 Dec 2011 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there,

yep great event, thumbs up to WAKSA and the organisers!

when and where will the full results be published?

thanks

MartyFaz
WA, 3 posts
19 Dec 2011 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah thanks to everyone invloved in the organisation of this great event.

It really is professionally run and as a competitor you can relax [or at least try and relax] on the way over and know that you and your gear will arrive in one piece and all you need to worry about is coming up with some good banter for your fellow competitors while you sit around and await the start.
Nothing runs that smoothly without some serious planning so full credit to Tim and all those invloved behind the scenes.

The competitors, the mateship, the rivalries and the good humour are what also make this a great event, even after tangles on the start line or disqualification there's still plenty of smiles and a laugh over a beer after the event.

cheers
Marty

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
19 Dec 2011 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

I echo what everybody else is saying .. fantastic day.

Many many thanks to the volunteers & organisers, it was an fantastic day that ran perfectly on schedule...

Some photo's

A very excited bunch of kitesurfers assembled at the ferry

Rottnest Island Ferry just for kiters!

Looking over the gear and people, clearly a heap of serious contenders. Amazed at how many raceboards were there, but also heaps of waveboards & some twintips.

Getting gear ready at Kingston Barracks

More race gear & deep discussion of boards...

These photos were before it filled up - every bit of beach ended up covered in kites & lines.

Looking south, rigging up on the beach..

Looking north, rigging up on the beach..

Winner to be Dale "Ned Kelly" Stanton checking the weather - look at those white caps (not!)

All in all, not something that you do everyday, and truly memorable experience - many thanks to all involved; organisers, volunteers, WAKSA, the competitors, and sponsors Red Bull & Kite Addiction.

..... and photos from the finish line...

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
19 Dec 2011 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Heap more photos now up on WAKSA facebook:

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.339297069420021.98938.172004149482648&type=3

Many Thanks to the WAKSA Volunteers who ran round collecting all our gear after we took off from Rotto, and all the setup at Leighton, Tim for being the driving force, and WAKSA el-presidente' Juddy (top left) for putting so much energy into these things and managing it all...

On ya's!!

* All photos by the wonderful Natalie Curtis

Knickers
WA, 256 posts
19 Dec 2011 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^
el-presidente's faded WAKSA crew T-shirt says a lot about how much work he does, always standing on the beach instead of being on the water like everyone else

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
20 Dec 2011 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

Knickers said...

^^^^
el-presidente's faded WAKSA crew T-shirt says a lot about how much work he does, always standing on the beach instead of being on the water like everyone else

Nice pickup Knickers, people do notice all the hard work he puts in

tightlines
WA, 3475 posts
19 Dec 2011 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Ric I saw your (not so) happy snaps (pardon the pun), man that sucks, bloody good effort to not only finish the race but charge hard all the way to the end.
I reckon you will be back to try again and with the experience from this race under your belt I'm sure you will be in the mix at the pointy end of the pack next time.
Hope it heals quickly.

Slack
WA, 685 posts
19 Dec 2011 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Not a lot of white caps in those photos eh?

Again thanks to all of the volunteers, organisers & sponsors for a terrific day.

bobjaan
WA, 314 posts
19 Dec 2011 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Despite the disappointment of being disqualified the race was really well and fairly run. A great day and good atmosphere and credit to really hard work the waksa guys do. So many great events this year and always fun for the people in them.

Thanks again for an experience etched in my mind forever.

richswing
WA, 724 posts
19 Dec 2011 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Well done to the Sponsors and of course WAKSA, great job guys - it really looked professional coming into the finish.

I am wearing my new shirt proud today.

I am already thinking of a faster board, are hydro-foils allowed? And who can I bribe to get in the race next year .

Cheers
Rich

DazzaRap
WA, 60 posts
19 Dec 2011 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Nick and Donna, and the others at the Rotto end, thanks for the day. Pity you're not in the photo, but it wouldn't have happened without you.

Dazza

LouD
WA, 641 posts
20 Dec 2011 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic day.

Massive effort on organisers and volunteers part. Just as good, if not better than last year, despite wind.

Huge thanks.

Hey Richswing, did that magic cream make you go faster?

richswing
WA, 724 posts
20 Dec 2011 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Is that you 2 + 3,

Didn't feel a thing, except for the throbbing thigh muscles and the ...and ... and ....

Didn't help trying to catch you, I think you had a motor built into that thing.

Cheers
Rich

airhead
WA, 814 posts
20 Dec 2011 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

I'll echo everyone elses sentiments here, was a great day out with a fantastic bunch of psyched people. Unfortunately I had to deal with some dramas on the beach so didn't end up crossing the start line until about 2 minutes after the gun. Oh well was a beautiful day out on the water all the same.

Thanks Tim, Juddy and WAKSA. Look forward to seeing the official final placings for everyone else.

This is what my day looked like

Slack
WA, 685 posts
20 Dec 2011 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

nice one Airhead.

results are out:

kiteboardingwa.org.au/

richswing
WA, 724 posts
20 Dec 2011 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid,

I can't believe how smooth the water is, I don't think my legs could have handled more chop.

Cheers
Rich

mazdon
1196 posts
20 Dec 2011 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

83 Stanton Dale 14:58:45 1
27 Genz Alex 14:58:46 2
20 Farrow Marty 14:58:48 3
33 Gough Damian 14:58:50 4

5 hundredths(?) of a second between the top 4...that is nuts over 20km's!!!
am i reading this wrong???? so fast

Slack
WA, 685 posts
20 Dec 2011 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

yes wrong.

83 Stanton Dale 28:45
27 Genz Alex 28:46
20 Farrow Marty 28:48
33 Gough Damian 28:50

So 5 sec but still bloody close

mazdon
1196 posts
20 Dec 2011 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

cheers
noting this: Race started: 14:30:00
when i cut and pasted may have helped haha
still amazing - almost wish i had of had a look instead of being out on the water...almost.

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
20 Dec 2011 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

richswing said...

Is that you 2 + 3,

Didn't feel a thing, except for the throbbing thigh muscles and the ...and ... and ....

Didn't help trying to catch you, I think you had a motor built into that thing.

Cheers
Rich

Hey Rich,

what was the name of that magic cream again? Definitely helped my shoulder - and must've made me a bit quicker, cos I finished 1 place and 1 minute in front of you....sorry

richswing
WA, 724 posts
20 Dec 2011 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Ha Ha, cause I let you!

Another 20k's and I would have cought you.

tightlines
WA, 3475 posts
20 Dec 2011 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Stoked to have snuck into the top ten!!!
(top ten from last year qualified for this year so I am hoping it is going to be the same next year)

I figured I had blown it big time when, after planning all morning on using my 16mtr race kite, I grabbed it out of my bag then decided to have one last look at the graph and the wind had jumped about 4knots so I put it back and grabbed my 12mtr kite thinking it was going to kick in (of course it dropped again minutes later).

I had one run out before the start and couldn't even hold ground so came in landed and started undoing the lines to swap kites.
We could only take one kite down to the beach so I was going to have to run a couple of hundred metres back to the barracks to get my other kite, pump up rig, launch etc., I heard the 10 minute hooter and knew I didn't have time so relaunched and went with what I had.

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
20 Dec 2011 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ probably would have won it with the 16 if you could have hung on

next year eh good luck

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Wrap Up" started by WAKSA