Forums > Kitesurfing General

Midwest Windfest 2019d

Created by cauncy > 9 months ago, 10 Jun 2019
s_h_a_n_o
WA, 88 posts
14 Jun 2019 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Been to both Windfests, loved them both.

The main draw for me is the downwinder - as a city slicker, it's not something I'd ordinarily be game or get the chance to do. I understand the main costs of the event go to insurance, and the DW support.

Centralising the event on the beach seems like a good suggestion. Maybe get in touch with Tim Turner and see if you can get hold of the big Red Bull tent he uses for the Lighthouse to Leighton? (Personally I like the timing btw, as Windfest has been my way of getting km's into my legs before the L2L which is usually a few weeks later). Big tent, couple of speakers, tunes, announcements etc. Let the surf cub run a sausage sizzle down there as well? Having a shady spot for preso's would be good, I know I was starting to wilt a bit on the final morning last year.

I'm not so keen on the bar idea, I've never really been a big fan of mixing booze and playing in the ocean. If people want to BYO in their vehicles, that's one thing, but providing a bar seems like taking on a whole heap of additional risk for very little gain.

The support vehicle running people down to the point for the mini-DW'ers back up the beach was a great idea, reckon that would be worth keeping, have it scheduled to run every hour or something (was this already a thing?).

Try and establish designated events area, request general free-ride kiters keep it clear.
- Could then maybe also use it for little mini-coaching clinics as well (eg, 1300-1400 - Frontrolls. Someone competent will talk through the basics on the beach, then stand and observe, offer tips for anyone who wants them?)

Info sessions, maybe run by different vendors - how to tune your lines, inspection/general maintenance of your bar & lines, how to/why have different footpad setups, demo on how to clean/maintain the clickbar, etc

Spotters prizes/crowd nominations for designated prizes (biggest stack, most radical move, highest boost, best carve/slash, etc). Could also incorporate Woo scores for those who have them? Have chalkboards for each, that people can update with nominations throughout the event.

Random mini-comps is also not a bad idea. Cash in on Kevin Langerees body dragging comp? The impromptu kite-pumping comp on the final morning also seemed like a hit. "Can you kite it?" - prize for the silliest item kited out and back (esky lid, inflatable flamingo, water skis, etc).

The drive-in movie/paella night I thought was great, is a nice family-friendly thing to put on. Reckon thats definitely worth keeping in the schedule.

Overall, I think it's priced about right for the chance to get up there, demo some gear I otherwise wouldn't get a chance to, do the DWer, and generally kite and chillout with friendly crew somewhere I don't usually get to. I'd consider paying extra for a Windfest rashie instead of a tshirt also.

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
14 Jun 2019 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

GOOD INPUT!
agree rashies or decent quality T-shirts

shi thouse
WA, 1141 posts
14 Jun 2019 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
quikdrawMcgraw said..
It's be hard to pick a date knowing how unreliable wa wind is

Dongara unreliable for wind...LOL. That place is like wind clockwork. Even last year with a dire forecast due to an unseasonal trough causing issues, we still have moderate 15-18 knots anyway.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
14 Jun 2019 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
s_h_a_n_o said..
Been to both Windfests, loved them both.

The main draw for me is the downwinder - as a city slicker, it's not something I'd ordinarily be game or get the chance to do. I understand the main costs of the event go to insurance, and the DW support.

Centralising the event on the beach seems like a good suggestion. Maybe get in touch with Tim Turner and see if you can get hold of the big Red Bull tent he uses for the Lighthouse to Leighton? (Personally I like the timing btw, as Windfest has been my way of getting km's into my legs before the L2L which is usually a few weeks later). Big tent, couple of speakers, tunes, announcements etc. Let the surf cub run a sausage sizzle down there as well? Having a shady spot for preso's would be good, I know I was starting to wilt a bit on the final morning last year.

I'm not so keen on the bar idea, I've never really been a big fan of mixing booze and playing in the ocean. If people want to BYO in their vehicles, that's one thing, but providing a bar seems like taking on a whole heap of additional risk for very little gain.

The support vehicle running people down to the point for the mini-DW'ers back up the beach was a great idea, reckon that would be worth keeping, have it scheduled to run every hour or something (was this already a thing?).

Try and establish designated events area, request general free-ride kiters keep it clear.
- Could then maybe also use it for little mini-coaching clinics as well (eg, 1300-1400 - Frontrolls. Someone competent will talk through the basics on the beach, then stand and observe, offer tips for anyone who wants them?)

Info sessions, maybe run by different vendors - how to tune your lines, inspection/general maintenance of your bar & lines, how to/why have different footpad setups, demo on how to clean/maintain the clickbar, etc

Spotters prizes/crowd nominations for designated prizes (biggest stack, most radical move, highest boost, best carve/slash, etc). Could also incorporate Woo scores for those who have them? Have chalkboards for each, that people can update with nominations throughout the event.

Random mini-comps is also not a bad idea. Cash in on Kevin Langerees body dragging comp? The impromptu kite-pumping comp on the final morning also seemed like a hit. "Can you kite it?" - prize for the silliest item kited out and back (esky lid, inflatable flamingo, water skis, etc).

The drive-in movie/paella night I thought was great, is a nice family-friendly thing to put on. Reckon thats definitely worth keeping in the schedule.

Overall, I think it's priced about right for the chance to get up there, demo some gear I otherwise wouldn't get a chance to, do the DWer, and generally kite and chillout with friendly crew somewhere I don't usually get to. I'd consider paying extra for a Windfest rashie instead of a tshirt also.

Great ideas bro

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
14 Jun 2019 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..

quikdrawMcgraw said..

Dongara unreliable for wind...LOL. That place is like wind clockwork. Even last year with a dire forecast due to an unseasonal trough causing issues, we still have moderate 15-18 knots anyway.

... and didn't we whinge like spoilt b1tches lol. Bloody spoilt over here. Except for the flies apparently ...

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
14 Jun 2019 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said..

CAUTION said..
I hope you dont take offence Cauncy but after last year i dont get it. It was more just kiting at back beach.
Unless i missed it there was one competition, the big air comp which was good to watch, except that a load of ignorant crew were kiting in the zone whilst the legends were trying to boost.
I spent loads of time hiking between the beach and cafe to see what was going on. nothing.
we were a bit skunked for wind.
Was no wave comp, well there was next to no waves but we could have done something with the lumps.
My recommendations:
- move everything to the beach, i.e. noms and events tent. too far to go back to cafe/slsc unless ur hanging for some caffeine.
- have a deticated event area. Only kiters in an event kite in this zone
- setup loads of little fun comps. short comps, silly comps, trick comps, keep it interesting.

Im sure ill cop a load of stick for this but i feel like a paid a load of coin for a crappy t-shirt and could have kited there for free. And quite a few people did which was even more annoying.
I guess i did not really go to the out of kiting events as i had my family with me.
I hope you take this as constructive criticism and work to make it better each year.

I think if you go to the WindFest purely for the comp events then you are not going to get the most out of it. The comps (wave and big air) are both relatively informal and not intended to be super serious.

You didn't mention if you did the down winder, but these are pretty special in unique locations and are a real buzz to do with 100 or so fellow kiters. And the non kiting events Mick mentioned are also a lot of fun. (Apart from the hangover from drinking red wine with Eppo and his mates!).

The spirit that Mick has built for the event is very much about having a fun weekend with a bunch of new and old friends.

Red wine ... pretty sure it started with expensive gin and then kicked on from there. Never seen a cup of red wine so permanently empty Dave The red was just wash it all down at the end Funny as night ....

gonna have to be responsible this time the little tacker is probably coming up to show us how old and useless we've become.

shi thouse
WA, 1141 posts
14 Jun 2019 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Dave Whettingsteel said..

CAUTION said..
I hope you dont take offence Cauncy but after last year i dont get it. It was more just kiting at back beach.
Unless i missed it there was one competition, the big air comp which was good to watch, except that a load of ignorant crew were kiting in the zone whilst the legends were trying to boost.
I spent loads of time hiking between the beach and cafe to see what was going on. nothing.
we were a bit skunked for wind.
Was no wave comp, well there was next to no waves but we could have done something with the lumps.
My recommendations:
- move everything to the beach, i.e. noms and events tent. too far to go back to cafe/slsc unless ur hanging for some caffeine.
- have a deticated event area. Only kiters in an event kite in this zone
- setup loads of little fun comps. short comps, silly comps, trick comps, keep it interesting.

Im sure ill cop a load of stick for this but i feel like a paid a load of coin for a crappy t-shirt and could have kited there for free. And quite a few people did which was even more annoying.
I guess i did not really go to the out of kiting events as i had my family with me.
I hope you take this as constructive criticism and work to make it better each year.

I think if you go to the WindFest purely for the comp events then you are not going to get the most out of it. The comps (wave and big air) are both relatively informal and not intended to be super serious.

You didn't mention if you did the down winder, but these are pretty special in unique locations and are a real buzz to do with 100 or so fellow kiters. And the non kiting events Mick mentioned are also a lot of fun. (Apart from the hangover from drinking red wine with Eppo and his mates!).

The spirit that Mick has built for the event is very much about having a fun weekend with a bunch of new and old friends.

Red wine ... pretty sure it started with expensive gin and then kicked on from there. Never seen a cup of red wine so permanently empty Dave The red was just wash it all down at the end Funny as night ....

gonna have to be responsible this time the little tacker is probably coming up to show us how old and useless we've become.

Gin

From memory mate it was 1800 Tequilla!!

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
14 Jun 2019 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Dude ya right. Big night

Weta
WA, 893 posts
14 Jun 2019 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

i would have thought the first post after Mick's would have been to say Thank You to Mick, Kat & Dave + their sponsors for all their hard work in putting on a Great Grass ROOTS event 2 years in a row off their own back?????

WTF

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
14 Jun 2019 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Windfestian , its getting close to start thinking about this years event, so keen to hear your thoughts on this years event,

Extract from Mick's first post...

psychojoe
WA, 2107 posts
14 Jun 2019 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Well, I have to go east for a wedding end of November so December works

Weta
WA, 893 posts
14 Jun 2019 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Windfestian , its getting close to start thinking about this years event, so keen to hear your thoughts on this years event,

You obviously missed the point Chris??? and there you were trying Very Hard to be Smart

quikdrawMcgraw
1221 posts
15 Jun 2019 5:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Weta said..
i would have thought the first post after Mick's would have been to say Thank You to Mick, Kat & Dave + their sponsors for all their hard work in putting on a Great Grass ROOTS event 2 years in a row off their own back?????

WTF

Shouldn't this be in the wa section

quikdrawMcgraw
1221 posts
15 Jun 2019 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..

quikdrawMcgraw said..

It's consistent day after day but it's a soft wind, holey packed full of flies

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
15 Jun 2019 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Weta said..

eppo said..

You obviously missed the point Chris??? and there you were trying Very Hard to be Smart

Nope. I thought your statement was not only unhelpful it was unnecessary given micks request.

Those that were actually there showed incredibly gratitude for micks tireless effort. In fact the greatest moment of the entire weekend was Jason for WA surf giving cauncy a brand new Shinn monk for his efforts. It brought him close if not to tears.

Also its it's a great promotional event for the Midwest and indeed His own business. He's a lot of things but he's not stupid.

So without trying hard to be smart can I suggest you stop being a little b1tch and offer some suggestions.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
15 Jun 2019 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

He's a lot of things but he's not stupid.

Not sure even mighty Mick would agree with that Eppo!!

Richoa
NSW, 478 posts
16 Jun 2019 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
quikdrawMcgraw said..
Not many flies at merimbula

Mate im from Nsw and all for a bit of banter, but keep it real

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
16 Jun 2019 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
quikdrawMcgraw said..

shi thouse said..

quikdrawMcgraw said..

It's consistent day after day but it's a soft wind, holey packed full of flies

i have to agree there annoying little cu#ts a bit like yourself, blow ins from the east usually, lucky for me the swesters usually pushes them back

shi thouse
WA, 1141 posts
16 Jun 2019 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

We're all adults here, and I dare say not going the Kut de Ta of Dongara type setup. Rather than sitting on the beach spread-out in our own groups, why not have a place to go post kite in the arvo for a couple of beers before shuffling back to our accommodation and getting ready to go for a night out Port Dennison style. Agreed that mixing booze and playing in the ocean is dumb, but as the sun sets it would be good to head up towards the Starfish for a couple.

Hey Cauncy, how about rather than lining up a movie night we hit the local bowls club for a bit of CrackerJack??

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
16 Jun 2019 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Cauncy, how about rather than lining up a movie night we hit the local bowls club for a bit of CrackerJack??

Damn good idea that... a perfect activity that only needs one hand ...

s_h_a_n_o
WA, 88 posts
17 Jun 2019 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..

We're all adults here, and I dare say not going the Kut de Ta of Dongara type setup. Rather than sitting on the beach spread-out in our own groups, why not have a place to go post kite in the arvo for a couple of beers before shuffling back to our accommodation and getting ready to go for a night out Port Dennison style. Agreed that mixing booze and playing in the ocean is dumb, but as the sun sets it would be good to head up towards the Starfish for a couple.

Well, when you put it like that, it seems like a very good idea! :)

quikdrawMcgraw
1221 posts
17 Jun 2019 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Richoa said..

quikdrawMcgraw said..
Not many flies at merimbula

Mate im from Nsw and all for a bit of banter, but keep it real

Have you been to wa the flie capital of the world outside of winter, unless you sitting on a dead carcass nothing on the east coast comes close

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
17 Jun 2019 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

You are really flogging this dead flown blown horse man.... weird.

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
18 Jun 2019 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately, I have missed the last two of these events & hope to make it up this year.

Whinge, whinge, whinge.....it's a sad indictment on our community when some crew whinge & complain about other crew organising an event, (for all of us), yet the whingers don't or won't or haven't previously helped out in the planning & delivery of said event.

The amount of planning this gig takes is unbelievable & time consuming.

Cauncy, thumbs up to you & all the crew involved in the behind the scenes stuff - don't let the whingers get you down (before the event FFS)....

Mark _australia
WA, 22377 posts
18 Jun 2019 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

I like the beer tent.

Keys in the bowl maybe, stuff like that.

As long as the DW'er doesn't end at Corro again, I missed a couple of waves that afternoon.

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
19 Jun 2019 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

You only kook them anyway

Sauce
WA, 203 posts
19 Jun 2019 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Juddy said..
Unfortunately, I have missed the last two of these events & hope to make it up this year.

Whinge, whinge, whinge.....it's a sad indictment on our community when some crew whinge & complain about other crew organising an event, (for all of us), yet the whingers don't or won't or haven't previously helped out in the planning & delivery of said event.

The amount of planning this gig takes is unbelievable & time consuming.

Cauncy, thumbs up to you & all the crew involved in the behind the scenes stuff - don't let the whingers get you down (before the event FFS)....

Juddy is spot on - We have both had a crack at organising kitestock in the past and still have the scars.

Ask Cauncy if he even got to kite last year?

I'm happy to have an excuse to book a trip like this, I just cant find the time these days (which is a sh&t reflection on modern life) and I'm happy to pay for the privilege of someone facilitating the excuse for me!

PS - Love that bowls idea.

BatKiter
WA, 209 posts
19 Jun 2019 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Sauce said..

lol its 90% dudes, no thanks.

Sauce
WA, 203 posts
19 Jun 2019 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LuigiKiter said..

Sauce said..

No worries Casanova.

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
19 Jun 2019 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LuigiKiter said..

Sauce said..

Yeh bowls is the place we normally chase the booty ??

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Midwest Windfest 2019d" started by cauncy