Forums > Kitesurfing General

RED BULL LIGHTHOUSE TO LEIGHTON 2015

Created by L2L > 9 months ago, 26 Sep 2015
HawaiianMass
WA, 22 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone, I've uploaded some photos to our Facebook page. Like and Tag away, and call me on 0452584862 if you didn't get a $50 voucher on the beach today or at the after party at the sailing club. Aloha, Shan. Ps. We're planning on supporting some more eventst his season too. :-)

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.355693324601033.1073741829.104846289685739&type=1&l=d8fb44b280

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

L2l are pleased to announce our new sponsors

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samokta said..
So did the winners do a Steven Bradbury and loop their kites into the beach past all the other downed kites?

Pretty much. Olly and Marv were Kilometers ahead and were unlucky to be the first to go into the no wind zone at the end and their kites fell out of the sky. It happened to most of the people leading the race unfortunetly. Saw a few people finish without their boards to (one placed high, wont name names), not sure exactly what rules there were, but I know in regular sailing (IKA race) you need to be with your board to finish. Perhaps something to think about next time.

Well organised day though, hats off to all the crew involved in making it happen especially all the volunteers, well done guys!

PKR
WA, 217 posts
5 Dec 2015 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats to all racers, was certainly a challenge and tested every racer!

Well done to Tim Turner, the volunteers, the sponsors and the partners for once again putting on a world class event and a show stopper at that

All racers got dealt the same hand and each did the best they could with it. Such is racing.

Kite size, gear selection, focus, tactics and a touch of luck meant the lead changed many times through out the race. Even from the beach we heard the feed-back from the boat during the first half and the crowd was on edge the whole time. The second half on the beach was electric. It made this as much a spectator event as a racers event :)

There already some awesome pics going up around social channels and on the news sites.www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/wild-weather-makes-for-tough-red-bull-lighthouse-to-leighton-ng-d37e1029a937184fd18eb64a67c6704d

Many of the top finishers were using RaceQs tracking.
It gets real interesting from 26minuntes, and be sure to check out the "VS" tab for heaps of tracking stats on the racers.

raceqs.com/regattas/49343

windywander
WA, 59 posts
6 Dec 2015 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks again to all the volunteers, race organizers, and Rottnest Express crew for all the work behind the scenes to make this happen.

daddycool
WA, 337 posts
6 Dec 2015 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windywander said..
Thanks again to all the volunteers, race organizers, and Rottnest Express crew for all the work behind the scenes to make this happen.

Plus 1 - great day out - THANK YOU

Sabs
WA, 25 posts
6 Dec 2015 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering if anyone knows when the results will be available online?

Slack
WA, 685 posts
6 Dec 2015 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sabs said..
Just wondering if anyone knows when the results will be available online?

Likely Tim will have them posted here today

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
6 Dec 2015 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

I thought it would be a funny race and wasn't disappointed.

Sabs
WA, 25 posts
6 Dec 2015 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Did anyone have an extra ozone reo kite bag (black and green),with a bar and phone inside, accidently put in their bag from the beach at Rotto?

L2L
WA, 195 posts
6 Dec 2015 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

L2L
WA, 195 posts
6 Dec 2015 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

2015 RED BULL LIGHTHOUSE TO LEIGHTON

* (NB: Martin Dolenc, 3rd, is listed as a Twin Tip, this is to be amended to Other).

DNF is also applicable/ used with DNS, FYI!

SydPete
WA, 64 posts
6 Dec 2015 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samokta said..
So did the winners do a Steven Bradbury and loop their kites into the beach past all the other downed kites?

No looping into the finish for the first few, crossing the line around 18-20knots. Think most of the top 10 would have spent time with kites in the water.

Sure a bit of Bradbury in it, but that is kite racing.

DaylightDebt
WA, 296 posts
6 Dec 2015 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Is there a working link to the l2l dropbox media, can not get the one provided to work.

Ps Thourghly great day, thanks to everyone involved who make it such an enjoyable day.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Yep! As well, thank y'all for the positive feedback on the 2015 race the toughest and most challenging for everyone involved.

Next year, guaranteed to return to sunshine, blue skies, 20 knots of pressure from the So' West ..

L2L 2015 :: Saturday 5th December 2015 will be remembered for an epic adventure for us all!

2016 Race Day: Saturday 3rd December.

See: www.dropbox.com/sh/2javnf2qv5x4ufv/AAD31g3n55cnyLaLaiXoi9j_a?dl=0

Glug
WA, 106 posts
6 Dec 2015 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Spectating at Leighton I thought it was a bit optimistic starting the race in those conditions. But it did make for good conditions for spectators (there was NO wind on shore!) and a super exiting finish.

Andy Cooksey who came second started a minute late after having to change kites after the first snapped a line. May have been to his advantage!

www.facebook.com/doug.cooksey.9/videos/10153759769727463/

richswing
WA, 724 posts
6 Dec 2015 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Great race, great day, thanks.

Even though alot us did not finish, can we have the times anyway?

Pity the wind dropped and everyone blocked the finish line.
It pissed me off but what can you do, it's the name of the game.

scaifey
WA, 2 posts
7 Dec 2015 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone for the great event!

I didn't realise until just now checking the results, but I managed to pull a bit of a Steven Bradbury. I was wondering how one might go about claiming a prize for having placed in the top 10 (females) ?

ch33rs

jumpindave
WA, 124 posts
7 Dec 2015 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Was a good race, shame about the wind but that's life! Cheers everyone!

Frogzie
25 posts
7 Dec 2015 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know if there is any video footage around?
That was a great day!big thanks to the organisers and volunteers.

Simsurf
WA, 238 posts
7 Dec 2015 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

I was one of the downed kites on the finish. Just hit that hole and kite back-stalled to the water and inverted. Actually self rescued over the line and scored a DNF. Was a general feeling of WTF in the water but as they say, that's racing....

Bit of a bummer ending but overall another great race. Massive thanks to Tim and the organisers, sponsors, other racers, volunteers, boat crews and finish teams.
Will enter again next year for sure.

Jono77
WA, 351 posts
7 Dec 2015 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Glug said...
Spectating at Leighton I thought it was a bit optimistic starting the race in those conditions. But it did make for good conditions for spectators (there was NO wind on shore!) and a super exiting finish.

Andy Cooksey who came second started a minute late after having to change kites after the first snapped a line. May have been to his advantage!

www.facebook.com/doug.cooksey.9/videos/10153759769727463/

In previous years competitors could only take 2 kites. Did this change?

By the sound of this blokes interview on Facebook, it seems he had at least 3 kites with him, 8m, 10m & 12m?!???

Jono77
WA, 351 posts
7 Dec 2015 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^
I saw this but was there a last minute change due to conditions? Just wondering as it seems this fella had at least 3 kites.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
7 Dec 2015 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

hahaha

Sabs
WA, 25 posts
7 Dec 2015 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Ok... so it seems that our kite bag, bar and phone never made it back from Rottnest
Does anyone know what our options are and who is responsible?

KitingQueries
WA, 9 posts
7 Dec 2015 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

I Came Down To View This Race With My Family, Honestly I Thought The Race Would Be A Flock Due To The Conditions And Original Early Turnout. However Things Seemed To Pick Up And The Overall Environment Was Great!

Honestly The View Along The Horizon When All The Kites Approached The Shore Was Once In A Lifetime, It For Sure Seemed Foil Kites Were Of Popularity For The "Big Names" This Year.
When All The Kites Experienced The Immense No Wind Zone And Dropped Just Before The Finish Line Was Honestly The Most Bizzare Thing I've Ever Seen, It Hugely Highlighted The Apparent Effect Of Wind On The Kites. Great Day, Great People.

Hopefully I Can See ThIs Again Next Year, Props To The Organiser For Not Canning/Rescheduling The Event.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
7 Dec 2015 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jono77 said..
^^^^
I saw this but was there a last minute change due to conditions? Just wondering as it seems this fella had at least 3 kites.

Totally not in the spirit of the race, nor the rules ... Nothing we can do now, but it is noted.

tightlines
WA, 3476 posts
7 Dec 2015 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

I did the first few races but haven't been in the last couple (Keeps clashing with the biggest SUP race in Australia King of the Cut), if I am not mistaken in the first couple of races you were allowed 4 pieces of equipment i.e. you could take 3 kites and 1 board, 3 boards and one kite or 2 & 2.
That to me sounds like a fair rule but whatever it is I think I will have to give it another crack next year.....if I can manage to get my name pulled out of the hat that is.

iti
QLD, 417 posts
8 Dec 2015 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

I seen it in the two races I've done , people send two kites over with the gear bag and then walk on the boat with more kites

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"RED BULL LIGHTHOUSE TO LEIGHTON 2015" started by L2L