WA, 89 posts
6 Nov 2013 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fabienne said..

NickT said..

fabienne said...
im pretty confused as to why there where thly 6 available spots for females

The reason might be because some of the WACK girls already got free entry and sponsorship. Can't have a free ride and affirmative action at the same time!

Just because im female does not make me a part of WACK - I am not a part of WACK, and completely disagree with everything they represent - and if they got a free ride i think its complete crap.

I completely agree with you...But yes they gave a few spots to "WACK girls". WACK is a socializing group, that's all. They asked shops and WAKSA for sponsorships. There is no reason for them to have a free entry over everybody else but whatever...it worked so they're clever I suppose.
Sorry if you don't have a spot...

dachopper
WA, 1790 posts
6 Nov 2013 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..

dachopper said..

So the ballot was last night right.......... how do we know if we have a spot?

did you get an email today ?

check junk mail

if not then send a grovelling email

So it's contact by email? I never got one :(

The online registration looks the same as before also.

towradgi
NSW, 424 posts
6 Nov 2013 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Can't WACK organize their own high profile WACKY race and invite 10 males

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
6 Nov 2013 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towradgi said..

Can't WACK organize their own high profile WACKY race and invite 10 males

Mate, that comment pisses me off in so many ways. Give the girls some space I reckon

towradgi
NSW, 424 posts
7 Nov 2013 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

In reference to the L2L allowable female participation of less than 10% and clearly frustratingly disappointing for female individuals who missed out.It appears to me,it might be time in the future for WACK with 230 members and other female individuals to have a stand alone all female race event with or without a minor male representation

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
7 Nov 2013 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towradgi said..

In reference to the L2L allowable female participation of less than 10% and clearly frustratingly disappointing for female individuals who missed out.It appears to me,it might be time in the future for WACK with 230 members and other female individuals to have a stand alone all female race event with or without a minor male representation

I need to get something off my chest- seriously, female kiters rock.

But that said, the only female kiters I ever see are that 2 Lanno female kiters and another 2 or 3 at Pinners. I have never seen any up my way towards Alkimos. Seen 2 max kiters at scabs when I lived there for 3 years. Pt Walter might have the odd female Euro.
As I said, I need to get out more, or unless- They must all be south of the river!

As for WACK- don't know where this 230 member number comes from?
With 230 members there's more WACK members than Great Whites in WA- And we have been seeing a lot of GWs lately!!!!

L2L
WA, 195 posts
7 Nov 2013 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Re: Spots for ladies this year, we do in fact have 11 racing this year. Yes, 2 were donated to WACK to support youth and female participation in the sport in WA, as they asked and asked early!

Interestingly, the first 3 editions of the L2L we have only ever received, I recall, about 5 to 7 entries each year, hence the guarantee of 10 spots! If we didn't do this, the likelihood (through random/ probability) would be even less ladies getting a spot. 20 female entries this year is a 185% increase in interested participation, which can only be a good thing. In 2015 we can look to increase this, or, subject to feedback, there can be no gender split, EVERYONE goes in the same draw... Thoughts peeps?!

I've not been specifically asked why the race is limited to 110 people, but the main reason is * resources and safety * that is the size and scale of what we achieve given the available beach at Rottnest Island to launch, as well as (available) safety boat ratios to name but a few challenges. Yes multiple starts are a possibility, but then the whole spectacle of what makes the race * open * and unique * disappears!

Please, believe me it is an epic challenge to pull the multiple stakeholders together, so 110 (and, in fact likely 115 this year, subject to insurance approval, yes an extra 5 spots!!!), is right now the right number to keep the race as good as it is! Sorry if you missed out this year on a spot.

towradgi
NSW, 424 posts
7 Nov 2013 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

My comment is not a criticism of l2l whatsoever...I am in awe and respect the event. Underoath ,I am blown away by chick kiters and their determination and abilty.On PAGE 8 of this forum under title West Australian Kite Chicks...little O says they have 213 members ....

Shan
WA, 129 posts
7 Nov 2013 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Fabienne I thought we both would havehad a good chance of getting in this year also. Fabs you and I will just have to battle it out at the freestyle event ;) Its a shame as you and myself have many many years of kitesurfing experience in kitesurfing comps and could have given the interstate / international chicks a run for the title. We will just have to try again next year....

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
7 Nov 2013 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

This whole thread is WACK...

graceful
WA, 773 posts
8 Nov 2013 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Gutted , have to give up my spot. Can't get time off work so another spot will be available for those who missed out.
Also have a sector that was purchased for race if anyone wants one

picker
VIC, 431 posts
8 Nov 2013 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

P.s. After trying to run KBV surf comp over the past weekend, big thanks to tim.

There are SO many variables with kiteboarding and pressures of things that could change of go wrong, its a massive effort, so give the L2L crew time to put australias best race on.

Wind. Weather. Waves. Sharks. Participants quality of riding. Gear. Transport. Insurance. Volunteers. The list is endless.

kiter2007
WA, 102 posts
8 Nov 2013 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

I think the whole application process needs to be reviewed. This is a RACE not a sunday social ride. They need to run a event qualifying of some sort so people who have the skills / outlayed the money on racing gear have the chance to compete. Most competitive sports you need to qualify before you make the finals. Why should this be any different.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
8 Nov 2013 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiter2007 said..

I think the whole application process needs to be reviewed. This is a RACE not a sunday social ride. They need to run a event qualifying of some sort so people who have the skills / outlayed the money on racing gear have the chance to compete. Most competitive sports you need to qualify before you make the finals. Why should this be any different.

What makes this the "finals"?

I agree there should be some places reserved for persons who have qualified by means of some prior races, but by and large I'm chuffed that I have never raced and don't necessarily want to, but yet I get to take part in this - Wicked!!! Stoked... probably come last but what a blast!

Weta
WA, 893 posts
8 Nov 2013 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Top 10 male finishers & i think top female from previous year automatically get a spot.

For some people this is not a race but an event to say they have kited across gage roads should they be excluded?
Realistically there's only maybe 20-25 kiters who have the skill, experience & equipment to be truly competitive the rest get to enjoy the ride.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
8 Nov 2013 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiter2007 said..

organise a world series then and only invite the top ranked riders. It's a ballot for 65 male and 6 female riders, i was at the ballot and didn't witness anything dodgy going on .

L2L
WA, 195 posts
12 Nov 2013 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Just saying... He'll be here, L2L 2013.

www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding/alex-caizergues-sets-new-world-kiteboarding-speed-record-at-5662-knots

KiteOceanics
WA, 21 posts
12 Nov 2013 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Going to be epic! Will see you and Alex on the beach for #L2L 2013!

L2L
WA, 195 posts
29 Nov 2013 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Good morning RACERS!

Today the first in a series of Update emails has been mailed to you. Please be sure to check your * junk * email boxes as sometimes they get sent there... Hence, re - posting the email here. Just as soon as the final sponsored racer spots are confirmed I will post a list of the full field and other information as relevant. FYI, I was able to increase the insurance cover of the race to now be a field of 115!

Here's to 22 SW knots on Saturday 14 December.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
11 Dec 2013 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

OK! We are still tracking towards racing on Saturday, subject to satisfactory wind (at the finish line).

Yes, we have reviewed every available resource in terms of wind modelling and forecasting available to us and we believe that sticking with the scheduled date is the right decision @ now.

A final decision will be made in conjunction with the team from Kite Racing Oceanics at 3pm on Friday afternoon, so as to be based on the most up to date weather and wind conditions. All competitors will be notified by email and details will be posted here on Seabreeze too on or before 5pm Friday.

An option (b) that may present itself if the wind does not deliver on the 14th is to look to a date + 1 week, i.e. Saturday 21 December 2013...

Our objective, above all, is to run the World's BEST one day kite boarding race, that is super SAFE and SUCCESSFUL.

The integrity of competitors' safety is our priority.

L2L.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

The best available data @ now...

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
11 Dec 2013 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

What about Sunday the15th, the reserve day as stated in the release, looks better, 18 knots by 2PM

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
12 Dec 2013 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Saturday will be record time as swell is low and wind perfect 12 to 15 knots - these are epic conditions for L2L guys on twin tips can slug it out or dudes get a surfboard and don't stuff up a great chance for epic race - if these dudes can only muster a 10m or 12m kite and a TT needing 15 knots place they are out of date. In these conditions they just gotta grap a surf board and the run is sweet in 12 to 15 knots.

I have 3 spare surfboards if any one needs them

The conditions are epic

The racers at the oceanics could do a record time in 8/10 knots easy

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
12 Dec 2013 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

I said EPIC conditions the best EVER are predicted with the worlds best in town

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
12 Dec 2013 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

cant wait and the boys- Rikki, Forian and Alejandro are keen as mustard to race

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
12 Dec 2013 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like it will be EPIC! no?

werty
WA, 119 posts
12 Dec 2013 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

15knots is only epic in Europe.

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
12 Dec 2013 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

15 knots epic? I guess you're the racer, not me.

But why wouldn't 30knots better?

In my mind 30 knots is epic.

sci
WA, 762 posts
12 Dec 2013 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

This heat wave is going to kill the seabreeze off for sure. Would be a no brainer to reschedule and fingers crossed for a proper Perth seabreeze.

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
12 Dec 2013 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Epic is fastest possible time for run - 30knots and it would be pretty hard to do 30 minutes I reckon. But hey what would I know

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"The 2013 Lighthouse to Leighton" started by L2L