WA, 738 posts
20 Nov 2014 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

TOUCHDOWN. HE'S MADE IT. 1432hrs.

slackster
WA, 24 posts
20 Nov 2014 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

EPIC EFFORT!!!!!! Inspiring achievement!!!!! MASSIVE CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
20 Nov 2014 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Juddy said..
Daaaaad....are we there yet??????

Haha YES!!!! Huge!

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
20 Nov 2014 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

What a Legend

Underoath
QLD, 2432 posts
20 Nov 2014 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Top effort!

eppo
WA, 9477 posts
20 Nov 2014 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant!!

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
20 Nov 2014 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

What an amazing feat!

Best day of 222km travelled ... other days of 180km ... fantastic!

Great stuff Ian.

alverstone
WA, 532 posts
20 Nov 2014 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Robbo2099 said..

Dave Whettingsteel said..
Any update on Ian's plans for today? I'm up at Horrocks with camera and kite at the ready! Wondered wether he would pop up on local radio this morning, being in Gero on remembrance today but didn't hear anything. PM me if you guys finish up at Horrocks and need a place to stay. Cheers

We farewelled Ian from Drummond Cove at just past 1:15 and as of 2:14pm he's already passed Coronation and 2/3 of the way to Horrocks. The plan for today is to make Port Gregory, with a possible stopover in Horrocks for an interview with the ABC. He and the crew will then assess the situation for the next few days, given the current weather conditions.
We got him kitted out with some footpads to soften the blow of the chop he's been riding and hopefully make the journey more enjoyable.
They'll overnight at Pt Gregory and if the conditions aren't suitable for a kite to Kalbarri, they may consider driving to Shark Bay to do the remainder of the trip from there. At the moment we've got a forecast indicating 20-30 knot southerlies with even some east in it at times along with some 3-4m swell for the next 4 days or so, making a traverse of the coast of Dirk Hartog generally unwise.
Updates as they arrive. Stay tuned!
Dave, PM me and I'll text you the support team's mobile numbers

4pm Robbo, call me at work ASAP 63898012, so i can get something up on teh web about him arriving. URGENT!

GSS
WA, 75 posts
20 Nov 2014 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Legendary effort!
Frothing every post I read and have now made this topic bedtime reading for my young fella everynight. Feel like rigging up and setting off for east africa...yip!

harrysurfer
WA, 254 posts
20 Nov 2014 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

WOW! Ian you are a top bloke mate, I hope you are really proud mate, I have so much respect for what you have done and accomplished just now.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
20 Nov 2014 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

1300km and its time to rehydrate

EB
SA, 492 posts
20 Nov 2014 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Massive effort well done on pulling it off.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
20 Nov 2014 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

To all the crew , Ian , Clancy, and trooper, fantastic effort , just gonna toast your achievement for this great cause, where next youngy

siny
NSW, 286 posts
20 Nov 2014 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

That sounds like a tough trip . If I was you I'd take a couple of days off Before heading back . And allow more time to go upwind

KBwhokbs
WA, 68 posts
20 Nov 2014 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations Ian and team. Great effort.

Have often wondered whilst doing short metro downwinders, " why not keep on going?" " how far could you go?"
Apparently all the way to NW Cape if you're tough enough.

Thanks for pushing the envelope.
Donation to Soldier on mandatory now.

thorn
WA, 172 posts
20 Nov 2014 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Ian and crew. Amazing achievement and a great cause. Rest on your laurels guys you deserve it. ??????????

dafish
NSW, 1637 posts
21 Nov 2014 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Sensational effort on behalf of Ian and his whole team, not to mention those that helped along the way. So glad to hear that he made it safely, especially since there was a very interesting day with breakages etc. Legends are born every day, but I suspect this dude received that status long before this. Congratulations and well done from myself and the crew at Jervis Bay.

Blackbeard
WA, 103 posts
21 Nov 2014 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Legendary Stuff Mate!!

austin
671 posts
21 Nov 2014 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Well done Ian, you've completed what many kiter's would only dream of contemplating and for a good cause, all you need do is cross the gulf and keep going!

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
21 Nov 2014 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Well done!

Next on the list, full lap?

Lorgra
WA, 215 posts
21 Nov 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Blackbeard said..
Legendary Stuff Mate!!

It's official!

bobjaan
WA, 314 posts
21 Nov 2014 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys

I met Ian a few times at Kitestock, the first time was when the guy who has at least 15 years on me came flying past to take first place in the massive down winder.
This wipes the floor with that feat and shows how much conviction the guys has.

Just made my donation and how close is Ian to $20,000

https://soldieron.giveeasy.org/campaigns/kitesurfing-perth-to-the-north-west-cape/

There is still time to celebrate this great achievement and give generously or share this link with friends to get them to donate too.

WELL DONE IAN and thanks for inspiring us.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
21 Nov 2014 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lorgra said..

Blackbeard said..
Legendary Stuff Mate!!

It's official

Reckon you hit up EMU for a few bucks with that pic.
So pleased for you dude. Even for Ian Young this is one way out of the box - and you did it!!!

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
21 Nov 2014 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Great interview with youngy on abc Midwest radio this morning. The hookup with camping Joey after his kitemare was a classic. Knocking off a couple of bottles of red after his dramas, he would have slept well that night haha

scarbra
WA, 5 posts
21 Nov 2014 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic work Ian...after doing a much shorter 5hr downwinder of 50km myself, I know your body would be feeling VERY achy and sore.

I was reading above and noticed Dave's name above which gave me a thought that I may be able to contribute further to the cause as Dave has been a client of ours! I run a physiotherapy / massage / chiropractic / podiatry practice in the CBD and LOVE my kiting. I will extend a warm welcome you Ian to head in for a couple of complimentary massage sessions with one of our remedial massage therapists or some physio treatments with me to help get your body back in shape if you need it. What you have done here is legendary! Well done!

Look forward to hearing about the trip if you take me up on the offer!

Mike Masiello Senior Physio, Bodysmart Health Centre.

techtonic
WA, 72 posts
21 Nov 2014 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

I had the Missus record GWN news for me yesterday, was bummed to find no mention anywhere of this story.
Surely it is not just the kiting community...or even Seabreeze community, that should be blown away by this event.
But that seems to be Ian's style.
I read a post one day on SB by Ian (first in a long time) saying he wanted to one day achieve this goal for a charity.
Pretty cool I thought....What seemed like only days later, theres another post saying "HE'S OFF!!". Already?? Cool!!
And I proceeded to glue myself to Seabreeze for for whole trip checking for updates on progress, which got better and better!!!
He didnt wear a list of sponsers all over his clothes, ( correct me if I'm wrong) it just seems he decided " righto lets go get this done"
No bells or whistles. Camping rough and McGuyvering his own gear all the way up some of the most beautiful but seemingly unforgiving coastline.
Last time I checked, the nominated donation goal was nearly doubled (again correct me if I'm wrong).
That says a lot to me.
Congrats Mr Young

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
21 Nov 2014 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
scarbra said..
Fantastic work Ian...after doing a much shorter 5hr downwinder of 50km myself, I know your body would be feeling VERY achy and sore.

I was reading above and noticed Dave's name above which gave me a thought that I may be able to contribute further to the cause as Dave has been a client of ours! I run a physiotherapy / massage / chiropractic / podiatry practice in the CBD and LOVE my kiting. I will extend a warm welcome you Ian to head in for a couple of complimentary massage sessions with one of our remedial massage therapists or some physio treatments with me to help get your body back in shape if you need it. What you have done here is legendary! Well done!

Look forward to hearing about the trip if you take me up on the offer!

Mike Masiello Senior Physio, Bodysmart Health Centre.

Ian, thoroughly recommend you take up this offer if you can! Mike and mostly Christian ( a young Physio who is also a WAFL ruck man) have done a brilliant job of resolving my long list of kiting injuries and pains.. I can not recommend these guys highly enough.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"kitesurfing from Perth to the North-West Cape" started by ianyoung