Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2009 Airush Innovations

Created by ruffryder61 > 9 months ago, 1 Jul 2008
ruffryder61
QLD, 470 posts
1 Jul 2008 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hello,

Airush comes out with a new Board for 09! "The new Breed" is a twintip freestyler and called FS Pro.
Sick Collin Mc Culloch design aimed at the contest and boost riding..

Never heard of 2 year Warranty for this board sets a new level of durability and shows the manufacturers confidence in a this board..

Who has already had a ride on it?

Cant wait!!

The Flow sle 09 introduces a variable canopy curve and calls itself the Flow FT with no cross bridle for faster steering....

who has had a fly on the 09 Flows? cant wait since i loved the 08 flows!

walshd
SA, 601 posts
1 Jul 2008 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like the Vapour is will be like the Rebel 4 strut design?

Looks very similar to the Takoon Nova

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
1 Jul 2008 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

walshd said...

I think that is the 09 Flow not the Vapor. The Vap II only just came out a few months back. I have no idea how they will improve on that one - but they certainly won't be doing it yet.

The flat centre of the LE is food for thought. It will be interesting to see the profile of one flying as the bridle will define the shape, but i suspect a flatter centre canopy with drop down tips. Pivitol steering. Grunty low end and stable.

kitecrazzzy
WA, 2184 posts
1 Jul 2008 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

two years is piss weak for a board warranty, they should follow cardboard's lead or dare i say it slingshot's 5 years on stitching

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
2 Jul 2008 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't ridden an 09 flow, but i saw two guys testing prototypes at woodies a few weeks ago. Plain white with no printing, but you could tell it was a flow. Looks hell different with the flat centre. The guys seemed to be having a lot of fun with them anyway. I love my 08, so i wouldnt mind trying an 09 when they become available...

ruffryder61
QLD, 470 posts
3 Jul 2008 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

The 09 Flows should be available in Oz in August. I cant wait to get my hands on one since we loved riding and teaching on the 08 flows.

The shape maintains vertical component and a aramid composite sandwich constructuions in the wingtip area- fastermore direct steering

The design comes closer to the vapor 2.

Colours look good as well: Orange, Yellow, Black and White.. still havent seen an white and green vapor 2 in oz!~

bellz
WA, 572 posts
3 Jul 2008 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

bellz said...

Select to expand quote
walshd said...

Thats the 09 flow not the vapour

Doriangrey
15 posts
12 Jul 2008 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

anyone had a ride yet? the new Flow looks and sounds amazing!

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
12 Jul 2008 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

kitecrazzzy said...

dare i say it slingshot's 5 years on stitching

boards dont have stitching.

carbine
WA, 1441 posts
13 Jul 2008 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

and slingshot doesnt have a 5 year stitching warranty. Not sure where you got that from.

2 year warranty won't be on converse, choptop or protoy.

bellz
WA, 572 posts
13 Jul 2008 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

09 Xpact

Doriangrey
15 posts
15 Jul 2008 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

what size does the new board come in? .. and how is it different from the protoy? in particular how do the rocker lines compare? Is the new board going to be a faster with flatter rocker or the oposite?
thanks!

M.

bellz
WA, 572 posts
15 Jul 2008 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

hey mate umm cant go into to much detail but what i can tell you is the 09 xpact is bombproof, iv been riding it for last couple of weeks, im really impressed with it such a big improvment from last years(and last years was awsome) iv also ridden the 09 protoy which is also a awsome board from what i rember was a bit heavier but stilll a awsome board. ill write a review closer to release date!

Umm sizes on xpact are the same i think!(but not certain)

Doriangrey
15 posts
15 Jul 2008 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

I meant the protoy vs the FS Pro board (new in the line)... and the sizing of the FS board
thx

lancekenny
SA, 402 posts
15 Jul 2008 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Is the 09 Flow Airush's dedicated wave kite?

Always wondered why the flow or dna when they are so close to each other - flow would be great if it had pull more like the vapor than the tractor pull it presently has.

bellz
WA, 572 posts
15 Jul 2008 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

umm i currently havent ridden the Fs pro, I'v been riding the flow in the surf and iv been loving it, it drifts back really nicelly theres been a few points that iv come to sections on waves and the lines have gone totaly slack and i thought there goes the kite but then it drifts back and saves my life once again

it wont be a dedicated wave kite, the flows designed for everyone, not for a certain group

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Jul 2008 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hey lancekenny,

The DNA is the school/wave dedicated kite. It is built tough, relaunches super easy, has plenty of grunt and huge depower so you can switch the power off or on as needed. The DNA Pivotal turns and has the ability to recover from stalled positions better than the rest of the Airush Range due to it's low aspect ratio.

The Flow is the Freeride/freestyle kite which also happens to be good in the waves. The DNA is a better option for waves but if you are a freestyler or freerider the Flow is better becasue it boosts and has some hangtime, and sits a little further upwind to allow you to force it to neutral by edging.

The new Flow FT looks like an interesting kite and the boards are supposed to be improved strength (especially the Protoy) and look pretty hawt! I heard it said that the board Aaron Hadlow rides is a Colin McCulloch custom. Guess what the new FS is a copy of ????

I had a peek in the new brochure and the new Choptop looks awesome too!

The new look Airush is coming, should be a fun ride!

Good winds,

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Jul 2008 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Doriangrey said...

what size does the new board come in? .. and how is it different from the protoy? in particular how do the rocker lines compare? Is the new board going to be a faster with flatter rocker or the oposite?
thanks!

M.

Hi Doriangrey,

The new Airush FS PRO comes in 132 x 39 and 138 x 40. The boards (Protoy and FS Pro) are quite different. The FS is a bit stiffer and has a tapered flex tip not stepped like most other board designs. This should give it a more precise and smoother curved flex pattern and has no "flip tips" which will make a cleaner water release from the tip making it faster. The bottom shape of the FS is single concave and the Protoy is still double concave. Protoy has been made stronger and ever so slightly slightly heavier this year.

I look forward to a ride on the FS pro, it might be my new weapon of choice!

Good winds,

The new FS Pro, Switch and X-Pact all have the 2 year warranty, but the Protoy has same warranty as last year.

Doriangrey
15 posts
17 Jul 2008 1:45AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot kitehard - that is very helpful. would love to hear what you think when you get a chance to ride the FS..

how different is the production Flow from the prototype pictures above?
Any changes to the bar for this year?

thanks!

M.

gotwind
1 posts
17 Jul 2008 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Whats new on the Generator?

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
17 Jul 2008 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Doriangrey said...

Thanks a lot kitehard - that is very helpful. would love to hear what you think when you get a chance to ride the FS..

how different is the production Flow from the prototype pictures above?
Any changes to the bar for this year?

thanks!

M.

Hey Doriangrey,

I'll post reviews of the gear as I get to put it through it's paces.

I've only seen photos and brochures of the new Flow so can't speak from hands on experience but the production Flow looks way better than the pictured prototype. Can't say too much ATM

The bar itself hasn't changed although the chicken loop looks to have had some sweet changes and improvements. Like I said, can't say much right now.

Looks like a new leash too, better design.

The Generator looks like it has had minor tweaks and subtle improvements. They have produced two new sizes though a 13.5 and a 15.5 and now make them in Black as well.

The guys must have been busy because they have also released two snow kites and redesigned the trainer kites into 3 line models. Sweet!

Looks like a great line up, it could be Airush's year to shine!

Good winds,

ruffryder61
QLD, 470 posts
17 Jul 2008 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Doriangrey
15 posts
19 Jul 2008 3:17AM
Thumbs Up

>>The bar itself hasn't changed although the chicken loop looks to have had some sweet changes and improvements

-- please tell me there is a new quick release!

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
19 Jul 2008 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dorian,

The trigger has an optional mod for advanced riders to prevent inadvertant triggering while grabbing the chicken loop after failed handle passing, plus other mods .....

Good winds,

Doriangrey
15 posts
7 Aug 2008 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

any more pictures?
..of the bar or the boards or the kites?

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
7 Aug 2008 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi DorianGrey,

All of the new pics and stuff will be released on the 15th of this month. If you happen to see me around, I have a copy of the new catalogue if you'd like a sneak preview.

The new Converse look sweet, and the new Choptop looks like a showstopper too, I reckon it will go well this year.

Not long to wait now. Stay tuned.

Good winds,

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
11 Aug 2008 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

I wish they'd bring back the T3

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
11 Aug 2008 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Kitehard said...

Hey lancekenny,

The DNA is the school/wave dedicated kite. It is built tough, relaunches super easy, has plenty of grunt and huge depower so you can switch the power off or on as needed. The DNA Pivotal turns and has the ability to recover from stalled positions better than the rest of the Airush Range due to it's low aspect ratio.

The Flow is the Freeride/freestyle kite which also happens to be good in the waves. The DNA is a better option for waves but if you are a freestyler or freerider the Flow is better becasue it boosts and has some hangtime, and sits a little further upwind to allow you to force it to neutral by edging.

The new Flow FT looks like an interesting kite and the boards are supposed to be improved strength (especially the Protoy) and look pretty hawt! I heard it said that the board Aaron Hadlow rides is a Colin McCulloch custom. Guess what the new FS is a copy of ????

I had a peek in the new brochure and the new Choptop looks awesome too!

The new look Airush is coming, should be a fun ride!

Good winds,

gotta agree with Lance here.
I don't know anyone who owns a Flow who doesn't complain about it's tractor pull bar pressure.
The DNA is a much better all round kite, I hope it will get further refinements in the future.

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
11 Aug 2008 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

pussies

the flows a great kite, easy to use, forgives you when you stuff up, relaunches quick, drifts back in the window as you go down the line on waves

I fly it with my little fingers holding the bar

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
11 Aug 2008 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

au_rick said...

I don't know anyone who owns a Flow who doesn't complain about it's tractor pull bar pressure.
The DNA is a much better all round kite, I hope it will get further refinements in the future.

My 2006 Flow has bar pressure so heavy i can't ride toeside becuase i physically do not thave the strength in one arm to hold the bar in.

My 2008 flow however, has the lightest bar pressure that i can usually hold it in with two fingers on one hand, one either side of the centre line.

Never riden one but i hear that the 07 was also quite heavy.

Airborne
WA, 224 posts
11 Aug 2008 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

I have had a bit of time flying the final prototype of the 09 Flow.

The Kite flies really differently to the 07/08 Flows.

As you can see from the photos there is no Centre Strut. What this does is makes the canopy more efficient than the 07/08 models meaning that you don't need as much throw on the bar to depower the kite. This makes the kite super comfortable to fly as you can ride with the bar much closer to your body. The things is though that the power is still really gradual, its not an on/off sort of thing that some kites with small throws have.

This confortable feeling translated into me being able to ride a lot faster as you weren't fighting the bar. Riding Faster = Bigger boost!! The 09 Flow seems have much more hangtime than the 08. I found that with the 08 I would often need to loop the kite on the way down to avoid dropping like a stone - especially on the smaller sizes - The 09 brings you down nice and softly.

Steering felt really smooth and direct. There is no rear bridle, the back lines connect directly to the kite. Airush have used an Aramid Composite sandwich - Basically like an X-Ply in Windsurfing Sails - through the leading edge in the wingtip areas. This makes the leading edge in this area 50% stiffer than a standard wintip. Its sort of like the old kites that have battens in the wingtips - which further enhances the direct steering.

But the biggest thing you will noticed about the 09 Flow - that blew me away- is the stability of the kite. When heading out with the kite parked at 9/10 the kite feels so solid.

I have always flown Vapors and still feel a lot of love for them, but after flying the 09 Flow I am definately going to be swapping to these them this season.

The first shipment of kites will be available around the 1st of September. We will have demo's of all sizes. Give us a call to arrange a time.

If you have any other questions about them let me know .

Michael

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2009 Airush Innovations" started by ruffryder61