Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2010 Griffin Argo – wave riding made easy

Created by warwickl > 9 months ago, 30 Dec 2009
warwickl
NSW, 2206 posts
30 Dec 2009 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Declaration

I have been using Griffin Kites now for just over 6 months and happily recommend these kites to anyone.

One skill I have always struggled with and want to do is down the line wave riding.

The kites I have had in the past just did not do it for me. However this improved to some degree with my 10.5 2010 Griffin kite but my ability still did not make this easy in medium to light winds ie less than 20 kn.

I also have a 2010 7m Griffin which is excellent in the waves as is a very fast kite - I use it mostly in 25 to 40kn however can be used in 20 kn or a little less.

10m Argo from Griffin and 7 hours later I am now kiting down the line at a very acceptable standard and having fun.

My first session was side/onshore NE for 2 hrs and the last session was in a side shore southerly 15 to a bit under 20 knots for 5 hrs – it was so good I did not want to stop.

10 m Argo Pros:

• It turns/pivots at the kite tip instantly and fast making it seem like a 7m ( I know this as I have a 7m)
• Launch, relaunch is the easiest kite I have ever used ( I have had many different kites and brands over 6 or so years)
• Float and park excellent
• Wave riding including down the line – excellent, if I can do it anyone can. Argo has all the characteristics a wave kite needs IMO.
• At this point I would say bottom end is as good as anything it seems better than a normal 10m
• Stability is excellent better than any other kite I have had

Other comments:

• Landing seems about the same as other kites – I had no problems landing the kite in 15 to 20 kn
• Quality is as good as any – back up service is excellent
• Jump/boost for me as good as the standard Griffin and other kites I have had which is all good ( pervious kites I bought for the boost performance)
• Depower good however not sure about top end as wind did not exceed 20 kn
• Up wind seems good – I did expect it to lack good up wind but all good
• Cruising as good as anything
• Argo is a very low aspect kite and for its size looks very small

Cons: I am now getting home later from kiting – wife’s view

king88mob
12 posts
6 Jan 2010 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

good to hear about it. I'm waiting on the 10m to hit the shores here in NZ. Did you get a chance to ride the 9m as well? I'm waffling between the two. I, like you, decided on a Griffin 2010 7m rather than go the argo route. I rode the pre-production one and bought it pretty much the next day, and comparing notes with other griffin riders i'm glad i went that way for a 25knot+ kite.

How does the 10m argo compare to the 10.5m griffin? specifically when it comes to range and power? I'd be really curious to hear about your experiences at the bottom of the wind power (15knots etc) as I found the 9m to be sluggish in those kinds of conditions.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
6 Jan 2010 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

king88mob said...

good to hear about it. I'm waiting on the 10m to hit the shores here in NZ. Did you get a chance to ride the 9m as well? I'm waffling between the two. I, like you, decided on a Griffin 2010 7m rather than go the argo route. I rode the pre-production one and bought it pretty much the next day, and comparing notes with other griffin riders i'm glad i went that way for a 25knot+ kite.

How does the 10m argo compare to the 10.5m griffin? specifically when it comes to range and power? I'd be really curious to hear about your experiences at the bottom of the wind power (15knots etc) as I found the 9m to be sluggish in those kinds of conditions.

Are you talkong 9 m argo re sluggish sub 15 kts / i set the bridles forward one notch from default setting for the lighter winds for the 9 and 13

king88mob
12 posts
7 Jan 2010 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

aye, the 9m argo. I'll have to try that next time I have it out for a demo. I'm still hesitating between the 9 and the 10 to argos to compliment my 2010 griffin 7m and my airush vapor II 14m. In theory the 10 is a better fit, but i've often felt overpowered on my current 10m so was thinking I could get away with something smaller.

Trant
NSW, 601 posts
7 Jan 2010 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Had a go on the 9m Argo during the KiteChicks weekend at Jervis Bay, no waves unfortunately just chop and about 20-25 knots of wind.

I found the "upwindiness" amazing to be honest, I felt I could go anywhere in the Bay at will.
Turning speed was very fast, but I found it less responsive than the Griffin if that makes sense. (Argo turns faster, but requires more input from the bar) It could have been the difference in set up of the kites, (or my imagination), but that's what I found. Probably what you want in a wave/wake kite in my opinion.
Jumping was a joy.

I haven't a bad thing to say about the 9m Argo, I found it ideal and will be picking one up once my finances recover from the holidays!

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
7 Jan 2010 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Trant said...

Had a go on the 9m Argo during the KiteChicks weekend at Jervis Bay, no waves unfortunately just chop and about 20-25 knots of wind.

I found the "upwindiness" amazing to be honest, I felt I could go anywhere in the Bay at will.
Turning speed was very fast, but I found it less responsive than the Griffin if that makes sense. (Argo turns faster, but requires more input from the bar) It could have been the difference in set up of the kites, (or my imagination), but that's what I found. Probably what you want in a wave/wake kite in my opinion.
Jumping was a joy.

I haven't a bad thing to say about the 9m Argo, I found it ideal and will be picking one up once my finances recover from the holidays!

Yes if I could give some advice do not be afraid of giving the kite plenty of stick and it will respond .

gglamenace
10 posts
7 Jan 2010 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hello,

I am a newbie on this forum and so happy to get informations about the argo!

I hesitate between buying a quiver of argo 7m and 10m or griffin 7m and 10.5m.

Can you say me what are the major differences between an argo and a griffin in order to let me do the right choice!

I am looking for an easy to fly kite, with a good relaunch and a good feeling in the bar.

I just want to do big jumps, basic tricks, riding small waves and absorb gusts.

Can you help me choosing the right quiver please?

thanks
Jerome

gglamenace
10 posts
8 Jan 2010 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

A last question:

what about the wind range of an argo 10m and a griffin 10.5m?
I weight 75kg and I have an intermediate level (3 years of kiting).

Thanks
Jerome

warwickl
NSW, 2206 posts
11 Jan 2010 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

My experience on Argo that may help the last 2 posts

I am 80 kg with all gear on and I ride 133 Cardboard Free ride - 6 years experience and a surfboard at beginners level

I have now had about 10 hours on a 10 m Argo in winds up to 25kn in small surf and estimate that the fun range is from a little under 15kn to a little over 25kn however one could still ride in 12 kn if good conditions and up to about 30kn.

I also have a 10.5 Griffin and the fun wind range is similar.

With the experience I have now on both I would buy the 10 Argo as for me it will do what I want as well as the Griffin and is excellent for wave riding and down the line. The Argo has the added advantage in that it is easier to relaunch.

The Argo does require a bit of input for down the line but the results make for very easiy down the line wave riding IMO the standard Griffin does not give the same for the effort.

If one is not into wave riding either kite would do and it would be a personal choice.

I have ridden most sizes of the 2010 Griffin and all are good however only ridden the 10 M Argo.

gglamenace
10 posts
11 Jan 2010 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

warwickl said...

I am 80 kg with all gear on and I ride 133 Cardboard Free ride - 6 years experience and a surfboard at beginners level

I have now had about 10 hours on a 10 m Argo in winds up to 25kn in small surf and estimate that the fun range is from a little under 15kn to a little over 25kn however one could still ride in 12 kn if good conditions and up to about 30kn.

With the experience I have now on both I would buy the 10 Argo as for me it will do what I want as well as the Griffin and is excellent for wave riding and down the line. The Argo has the added advantage in that it is easier to relaunch.

The Argo does require a bit of input for down the line but the results make for very easiy down the line wave riding IMO the standard Griffin does not give the same for the effort.

If one is not into wave riding either kite would do and it would be a personal choice.

I have ridden most sizes of the 2010 Griffin and all are good however only ridden the 10 M Argo.

Thank you for your reply.
It confirms what I thought about the argo.
Now the next challenge is to find one in France to test it!!!

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
12 Jan 2010 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

gglamenace said...

warwickl said...

Thank you for your reply.
It confirms what I thought about the argo.
Now the next challenge is to find one in France to test it!!!

Just get one
you won't regret it

roachapproach
QLD, 20 posts
18 Jan 2010 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Delivered in 2 days ! Straight out the bag it looks well constructed, bar setup looks good ,not sure about the safetywhere to latch onto. Well powerful zippy little kite the argo 9 , very impressed, other kiters on 10-12 m i was chugging along pretty easy on surfboard in 12-14 knts river assisted, good pop , easy to fly kite , yes loved the relaunch because i had to use it, going down in the river fart arsing about. Anyone un hooking and riding the waves. What is the fastest turning set up? Have been flying takoon furias, very fast turning, not as much grunt as the argo . Anyone flown the argo on the shorter lines? Very impressed cant wait to get 20knts.

dunk
WA, 88 posts
18 Jan 2010 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Declaration: I have been flying Griffin exclusively for the last 4 months.

Previously flying: 2008 Naish Helix 9m and 2008 Naish Cult 12m. 2009 Best Waroo 9m and 2008 Waroo 13m.

Skill Level: Beginner/Intermediate.

Weight: 92kg

Boards: 2010 Underground Future 141x42, Rawson 6'2" epoxy thruster and Slingshot Glide for lighter winds.

I was really enjoying flying my Naishes (Waroos not so much), until a mate suggested we try Griffins after looking at their website (Australian family kite company having a go against the big guys!). We ordered a 7, 9, 10.5 and 12m Griffin (keeping our other kites if they fell short). Boy did we get a shock! Straight out of the bag they looked bullet proof - tougher than Naish and that's saying something!

Anyway, this is about the Argo.

After flying the Griffins and loving them. I ordered the 9m Argo. I have now had around 20 hours on it.

I first flew the Argo in 22kts at Woodies 1st beach. The build quality is excellent - same as the Griffins. It flew perfectly straight out of the bag on the default settings with no adjustment required. It was beautifully stable, requiring slightly more input pressure to initiate the turn than the 9m Griffin, but once turning it pivots around on the wingtip in an instant. The first time I flew it I was really pushing my limits and crashed a lot! The kite didn't though. The stability is good to the point that I was able able to sort myself out before the kite even looked like hitting the deck. It would just very slowly drift down towards the edge of the window waiting for a control input - once it got one, it was off again. To test it's relaunch, I actually had to intentionally put it down. Relaunch is excellent. When I came off the water, I was really stoked! Since then, I have had many other very fun sessions in winds from 15 kts (on the big board), up to 25.

In the surf, the Argo comes into its own. It's stability allows the rider to concentrate on riding the wave how they want without worrying about the kite. The kite still needs some attention, but it drifts down the line with the rider, waiting for further input. It's stability and ability to drift down the line instills more confidence than my Naish Helix did. You can ignore the kite, concentrating on the wave, knowing where the kite is by bar feel alone... The upwind performance of this kite exceeds any other I have flown. It makes getting back to the start of the lineup after your turn really easy. I thought the Griffins were good in the surf (and they are better than my Helix was), but the Argo is better still.

There are two more points I'd like to make about the Argo; firstly it absorbs gusts really nicely, without feeling like it's gonna rip you out of your footstraps; secondly, it's power delivery is very smooth, it's not on or off like the Waroos. These are features shared with the 2010 Griffins; power delivery is really smooth and linear.

Further comments:

Build quality is excellent - Great bracing along the trailing edge. Very strong bracing at all mounting points; I have hammered these kites, they have been dragged across tree branches sticking out of the deadwater in Augusta under pressure and come away without a nick. They have been smashed on the water and popped up without an issue; I've seen other kites tear apart in the same circumstances.

Self-landing is a breeze; depower with the below bar trim, fly to the edge of the window, put the wingtip on the ground, let go of the bar, grab the upper centre line and pull hard. The kite will just drop leading edge down into the wind.

Argo doesn't boost as big as the Griffin, it still boosts, but is better at other things...

I love the Argo - for my weight though, I'll be ordering a 10m to get me going a bit better in the lighter stuff.

I hope this post helps anyone looking for a great all-round kite which happens to excel in the surf. These are a great Aussie designed product offering unparalleled value for excellent performance levels...

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
19 Jan 2010 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

dunk said...

Declaration: I have been flying Griffin exclusively for the last 4 months.

Previously flying: 2008 Naish Helix 9m and 2008 Naish Cult 12m. 2009 Best Waroo 9m and 2008 Waroo 13m.

Skill Level: Beginner/Intermediate.

Weight: 92kg

Boards: 2010 Underground Future 141x42, Rawson 6'2" epoxy thruster and Slingshot Glide for lighter winds.

I was really enjoying flying my Naishes (Waroos not so much), until a mate suggested we try Griffins after looking at their website (Australian family kite company having a go against the big guys!). We ordered a 7, 9, 10.5 and 12m Griffin (keeping our other kites if they fell short). Boy did we get a shock! Straight out of the bag they looked bullet proof - tougher than Naish and that's saying something!

Anyway, this is about the Argo.

After flying the Griffins and loving them. I ordered the 9m Argo. I have now had around 20 hours on it.

I first flew the Argo in 22kts at Woodies 1st beach. The build quality is excellent - same as the Griffins. It flew perfectly straight out of the bag on the default settings with no adjustment required. It was beautifully stable, requiring slightly more input pressure to initiate the turn than the 9m Griffin, but once turning it pivots around on the wingtip in an instant. The first time I flew it I was really pushing my limits and crashed a lot! The kite didn't though. The stability is good to the point that I was able able to sort myself out before the kite even looked like hitting the deck. It would just very slowly drift down towards the edge of the window waiting for a control input - once it got one, it was off again. To test it's relaunch, I actually had to intentionally put it down. Relaunch is excellent. When I came off the water, I was really stoked! Since then, I have had many other very fun sessions in winds from 15 kts (on the big board), up to 25.

In the surf, the Argo comes into its own. It's stability allows the rider to concentrate on riding the wave how they want without worrying about the kite. The kite still needs some attention, but it drifts down the line with the rider, waiting for further input. It's stability and ability to drift down the line instills more confidence than my Naish Helix did. You can ignore the kite, concentrating on the wave, knowing where the kite is by bar feel alone... The upwind performance of this kite exceeds any other I have flown. It makes getting back to the start of the lineup after your turn really easy. I thought the Griffins were good in the surf (and they are better than my Helix was), but the Argo is better still.

There are two more points I'd like to make about the Argo; firstly it absorbs gusts really nicely, without feeling like it's gonna rip you out of your footstraps; secondly, it's power delivery is very smooth, it's not on or off like the Waroos. These are features shared with the 2010 Griffins; power delivery is really smooth and linear.

Further comments:

Build quality is excellent - Great bracing along the trailing edge. Very strong bracing at all mounting points; I have hammered these kites, they have been dragged across tree branches sticking out of the deadwater in Augusta under pressure and come away without a nick. They have been smashed on the water and popped up without an issue; I've seen other kites tear apart in the same circumstances.

Self-landing is a breeze; depower with the below bar trim, fly to the edge of the window, put the wingtip on the ground, let go of the bar, grab the upper centre line and pull hard. The kite will just drop leading edge down into the wind.

Argo doesn't boost as big as the Griffin, it still boosts, but is better at other things...

I love the Argo - for my weight though, I'll be ordering a 10m to get me going a bit better in the lighter stuff.

I hope this post helps anyone looking for a great all-round kite which happens to excel in the surf. These are a great Aussie designed product offering unparalleled value for excellent performance levels...

If you want to get a bit more light wind performance move the shoulder bridle one notch closer to the centre of the kite than default .you will be nicely rewarded for your effort.

kitegirl21
NSW, 439 posts
19 Jan 2010 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

weight: 54kg
Level: beginnerish (starting to try jumps!)
Kites: 6m airush dna and 9m griffin argo (and previously 9m slingy rev)

I bought myself a 9 argo a few months ago and im very pleased with its performance... I def agree with the rest of you about its huge wind range, stability and overall performance.
It has bucket loads of depower and therefore huge wind range... i am happily cruising in 12 knots (quote mr float "If you want to get a bit more light wind performance move the shoulder bridle one notch closer to the centre of the kite than default .you will be nicely rewarded for your effort.")... and was not intimidated in gusts of over 25-28knts during the wkend... I actually had to relay lines on a sand bar and self launch it in these conditions the other day to get myself back to the beach and had no dramas doing this... the kite re-launches like its allergic to water and i have had other kiters comment on how quick it goes back up in the air after being in the drink...
when ever the lines go slack, the kite still floats in the air - stability is excellent...
self launching is easy to, even in windy conditions-you wont take off due to the huge amount of depower... and if your out of control on the water and freaking out a bit (had a few of these moments being a beginner) simply let go of the bar and it falls out of the sky... it wont keep going like I found the slingshot to be...
Since mr float adjusted my bridle for me the low end range is amazing and it doesnt stall...
quality is really good, seems pretty robust (its taken a few beatings hehe)

Overall Im stoked about the massive depower range (as a beginner I feel really safe on it), and wind range (being the light-weight that I am I use this kite about 80-90% of the time) and water relaunch is sensational

Cheers

dunk
WA, 88 posts
19 Jan 2010 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mr F - I'll give it a go on Wednesday arvo... Lookin' like 25/26knots... Yeeeehaaa!!!

roachapproach
QLD, 20 posts
20 Jan 2010 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Happy camper ! Tried the bridal position yesterday in 13-18 knts on the 9m , solid power, very stable great air time and doesnt drop you like a rock, i was very impressed especially after trying a few settings ,this kite rocks . Safety where is everyone connecting this, to flag out loops? Thanks for for all the info.

kitegirl21
NSW, 439 posts
20 Jan 2010 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

roachapproach
I am connecting to the depower red ball... havent tried ne where else thou
wats everyone else connecting to?

roachapproach
QLD, 20 posts
22 Jan 2010 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks kitegirl. The argo has solid constant pull through the turns, and very stable. That bridle position is great for boosting , nice soft landing. happy days

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
22 Jan 2010 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

kitegirl21 said...

roachapproach

Yep the depower rope offers more than enough safety for me. Beginner riders should really hook to the side line safety or the ring to one of the front lines, especially for launch and land.

dunk
WA, 88 posts
22 Jan 2010 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah - I'm hooked up to the red ball too. The kite doesn't flag out and it lets you get all your s**t back together so you can relaunch and not have to go back to the beach to spend 1/2 an hour untangling everything... The kite just sits on its wingtip at the side of the window. It still pulls a bit though as it doesn't depower 100%; it just can't fly with the trim rope pulled all the way in...

warwickl
NSW, 2206 posts
28 Jan 2010 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Agree these are as good as any but my feeling is that Argo has the edge on most for wave riding and bottom end

Plus possibly the best warranty, back up and overall value from my experience

Bearing in mind kite performance is my key priority.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
2 Feb 2010 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

warwickl said...

Agree these are as good as any but my feeling is that Argo has the edge on most for wave riding and bottom end

Plus possibly the best warranty, back up and overall value from my experience

Bearing in mind kite performance is my key priority.

Yes .The low end performance is excellent .It is one thing to be able to get out in light winds and another to have a kite that is also manouverable ,functional and fun. The Best Kahoona is another kite that does it well in this dept .i would be interested to hear others opinions on other med ar 'delta style "kites in the light stuff . (Core ,Bandit ,GK trix etc)

gagik
WA, 34 posts
3 Feb 2010 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 7m Argo and I love it. I have used my 7m Argo in light winds when others have been using 12m kites and also in 30kts. I have my kite settings in default "Wakestyle and wave riding". It turns fast, goes upwind very well, excellent hang time and very toughly built.

I am also impressed with customer service. I had a small problem with one of the nipples on the leading edge. When I contacted customer service and told them about the problem, they sent me a brand new leading edge bladder straight away.
I don't think one can get any better service then that.

dunk
WA, 88 posts
4 Feb 2010 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys - my 10m Argo and my 13.5m were delivered this morning. I rode the 10m this afternoon at Melville in 18-21 and it rocks! Previously I was riding the 9, but felt a bit underpowered. I set up the 10m on default settings and it flies beautifully. I am really impressed with these kites. They are really stable and forgiving, absorbing gusts and taking everything in their stride. I've really been pushing myself and when I screw up or get smacked, I push the bar out and try to direct the kite back to 12 or put it where it'll drag me up to my feet again and it just does it, no dramas. The new bars have two red balls on the trim line - you can clip the leash between the balls; it works really well and means the stainless clip doesn't contact the trim cleat any more. This'll have to increase the longevity of the cleat set up... Oh, I'm boosting much better on the 10 too (91kg really needs that extra square metre)!!! I can't wait to try the 13.5 on the next light day we get! Try an ARGO if you haven't yet!!! Dunk

jboz
NSW, 38 posts
5 Feb 2010 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Does anybody know the retail cost of these kites? Is there a website with prices?

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
20 Feb 2010 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

18-24knts tiny depower kite no worries on the 9m, my other kite is a takoon furia 9m would have to depower so much wouldnt be worth taking out. Love the power out of the turns,awesome for airs on the wave this kite is an easy kite to enjoy .

andos
NSW, 68 posts
22 Feb 2010 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

I've been flying the 10m Argo on 21m lines for 2 weeks, 12knts up to 24knts, good swell Xoff mixed with small onshore.
My stats; 9yrs kiting, 94kgs, hooked riding, 95% waves with 6'4"x18.5"x2.5". 5% on Mutants in flat water.
Declaration; Since flying the 10m, I have decided to put Argo's into my teaching quiver.
Unreal overall performance. Very, very smooth power delivery across a great wind range. As others have said, these kites, like other deltas I've had, turn fast and boost when needed, I personally love direct trailing edge connection, no sloppy turning.
I am a bit gammi on my backhand as far as downlooping and using the kite (usually one hand off), the Argo will sit/drift/pull perfectly down the lefts without much input from me, so I'm stoked. Kiteloops so far are sensational, no warping or flapping, and heaps of slingshot to put a smile on the dial.
Build quality looks good with plenty of power/reaction options, one pump saves time, the bar is solid and simple, with similar features to Wainman. Having the longer warranty, and an Aussie company/owner who is contactable gives nice peace of mind.
If my kids play their cards right, I will have Chris make up a 4m Argo.
Well done!

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
23 Feb 2010 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

kitegirl21 said...

roachapproach

Yep the depower rope offers more than enough safety for me. Beginner riders should really hook to the side line safety or the ring to one of the front lines, especially for launch and land.

I don't think hooking to the side lines is such a good idea.kite propellars and pulls if release is pulled

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
23 Feb 2010 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Mr float said...

BrisKites said...

kitegirl21 said...

roachapproach

I don't think hooking to the side lines is such a good idea.kite propellars and pulls if release is pulled

Yes it will make a mess but at least it will flag to a single line. Front line is a better option but you need a better leash. Personally I just use the depower rope all the time.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
23 Feb 2010 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

Mr float said...

BrisKites said...

kitegirl21 said...

roachapproach

Yes it will make a mess but at least it will flag to a single line. Front line is a better option but you need a better leash. Personally I just use the depower rope all the time.

Which bar and leash are you using .I clip to one of the sliding front lines .the kite will flag nicely or drop onto the LE .I use the griffin leash but it is a long reach to clip to the front line ring.Also if you run the leash to the back of the harness yes the leash provided is too short.Maybe something for chris to have a look at in future design

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 Griffin Argo – wave riding made easy" started by warwickl