Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2010 Griffin Argo – wave riding made easy

Created by warwickl > 9 months ago, 30 Dec 2009
general_dude
WA, 150 posts
23 Feb 2010 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

dunk said...

Declaration: I have been flying Griffin exclusively for the last 4 months.

...... Straight out of the bag they looked bullet proof - tougher than Naish and that's saying something!

Anyway, this is about the Argo.....

I tried the Argo it was a nice kite, but I had some concerns about build quality. Went and bought a Naish & have to respectfully disagree with the above. The Naish is definitely superior. Not saying the Argo isn't a nice kite. It felt really nice, but the chicken loop has a plastic cleat & the leading edge didn't make me feel too confident. The Naish is better for toughness I think. (Not as good as a switchy tho which has a leading edge made of some serious stuff!)

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
24 Feb 2010 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

general_dude said...

dunk said...

...... Straight out of the bag they looked bullet proof - tougher than Naish and that's saying something!

I tried the Argo it was a nice kite, but I had some concerns about build quality. Went and bought a Naish & have to respectfully disagree with the above. The Naish is definitely superior. Not saying the Argo isn't a nice kite. It felt really nice, but the chicken loop has a plastic cleat & the leading edge didn't make me feel too confident. The Naish is better for toughness I think. (Not as good as a switchy tho which has a leading edge made of some serious stuff!)

Yes I agree with you here and have made suggestions that will be seen in the next model .Having said that my 9 has been used in my school all summer and is a bit scuffed at some of the le segment seams where they join together(there is no sign of failure of the LE or the stitching but otherwise is solid ,has had some nasty crashes (mainly by me, jumped in a big gust in 30 kt plus winds last week topping out in a big lull and dropping like a rock crashing the kite really hard .I know that this is a bit micky mouse but if you wanted to you could put duck tape over those joins to keep them in pristine condition.

kitegirl21
NSW, 439 posts
10 Mar 2010 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

still absolutely stoked with this kite... the wind range is huge!!!!!! did a downwinder the other day on my nine, was 25 knts (im 54 kgs) n felt very comfortable - even quite depowered it still turns really well... really happy with it n ill b buying again next season

bjw
QLD, 3615 posts
10 Mar 2010 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

general_dude said...

dunk said...

Just dont pop a strut in the Naish as the whole kite will go down. Genius!

general_dude
WA, 150 posts
11 Mar 2010 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I've owned the Naish for a little while now & love everything except that darn octopus system - would love a conventional one pump system.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
12 Mar 2010 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

13 -25 knts so far on the argo , great wind range, that wasnt depowered either. kite is awesome in the waves with bridle setting forward. Anyone flown it with 21m lines ?

warwickl
NSW, 2215 posts
12 Mar 2010 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

All the Griffin kites perform better on the short lines including Argo

GriffinKites
NSW, 201 posts
15 Mar 2010 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your feedback general_dude. Below is my reply to your post, I will give you what I feel is the truth and I will try not to bash any brands.

Re: concerns about build quality - the leading edge didn't make me feel too confident.

The build quality on the Argos and Griffins is top notch, the leading edges are double triple stitched, seams are taped and triple stitched, and joins are double reinforced where as most top brands including the Naish I believe are single stitched on the leading edge joins. Also having an external one pump system is much easier to fix if there are issues. The single stitch method I am told is weaker and cheaper to make. So your concerns about build quality LE I would disagree with.

Over the last 2 years I know of hardly any of the griffins/Argos that have ripped or leading edges busted except for Mark flying a kite into a rock, Mr T forgetting to do the zip up on the leading edge after fixing a puncture from something sharp, 1 x 14m kite that got slammed into a huge wave (which I did a at cost bladder replacement ) and one legit le fail on a 2nd hand 14m kite which I covered under warranty. This is out of many hundreds of kites kites over the past 2 years. So I believe build quality is not an issue with the kites. Any one who buys a Griffin can contact the designer for feedback and advice and if there are any issues our aim is to keep the kiter happy.

Re - chicken loop has a plastic cleat
We got that feedback from a few riders and have developed a better push away system with a replaceable Ronstan metal cleat. Should be ready once we finish testing and prototyping.

Griffin riders can contact the designer of the kites for advice or there local reseller.

2 lots of double triple stitching with thick thread is stronger than the French single stitch method.

Reinforced covering on leading edge wing tips

triple stitching on struts

Hi quality extra reinforced build and stitching.

Single stitching French method joining the leading edge segments on a naish.

Guinea
NSW, 2 posts
15 Mar 2010 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

I have been looking for a new kite since my trusty Slingshot Fuel 11m sprung a few leaks.
I also fly a 2007 Griffin 7 – 2:1 pulley bar.
My level of kiting is a low intermediate – mainly in up to 2m surf – Narrabeen / Long reef

Had 2 short demo flys and bought the 9M. I have been flying the 9 M Argo for 3 months now.

A few things that worked for me :
Found this kite very quick – therefore used the line extensions
Found I lost power / drive through my turns – keep the bar sheet in
– I tended to sheet out through my turns.
The other thing I changed the suited my level of kiting, was the bridal settings
Outside Lines – Default – Wake / Wave
Inside Lines – 3 & 6 – (Changed from default 2 & 5 )
A & C - Default

The 3 & 6 setting - this gave the kite a lot more control through the turns
– did not overshoot to the end of the window
This kite jumps with ease with nice hang time – I am not a big jumper
Sits nicely in the window on down the line wave riding.
I have dropped the kite a few time and relaunch is easy – except in the surf/crunch zone

This kite is quite different to the 2007 Griffin
- Much lighter but good Bar pressure
- Heaps of grunt for a 9m – this was a surprise for me - was planning to buy a 10.5m kite

Its great to see a kite with adjustments to suit the level of the rider.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
15 Mar 2010 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

warwickl said...

All the Griffin kites perform better on the short lines including Argo

I agree that when it is windy and cross on shore short lines are great .Now I speak from a big guys viewpoint here (and I was interested to read Guineas post re kite is fast in the 3,6 shoulder setting and thus longer lines are good ) when the wind is a bit on the lightside and you want to ride the smallest kite possible the extensions do give a bit more bottom end in my experience and also can result in extra hangtime even in windy conditions . As guinea says kite turn speed and depower particularly on 3,6 shoulder setting (and have just started trialling chris's BC forward bridle setting ) allows for longer lines .Also kite doesn't need to be shheted out in bottom turn in this seetiing to milk the light stuff

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
20 Mar 2010 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

So here is an example of how line lengths make a difference .Yesterday was 12-15 kts max .any kite on 20 m lines struggled .25 m lines or more sweet including griffin argo .There were two with the same bridle settings one had 27 m lines 95 kg guy underground 138 having a great time and one on 20 m lines cradboards 138 tempo grovelling .

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
20 Mar 2010 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a new lightwind bridle setting to try . B D and 4,6 .I had a great lightwind session with long lines with that setting and also try A,C and 4,6 (would be interested on your experience with these settings)

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
20 Mar 2010 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Did a lesson today in bugger all wind 11-14 kts ave. Tried a few more options and found AD and 5,6 very nice .

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
12 Apr 2010 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Tried this option not bad in lite winds, good options give it a big wind range.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
20 Apr 2010 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

Tried this option not bad in lite winds, good options give it a big wind range.

which option

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
21 Apr 2010 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

tried the ad and 5,6 option in 13 to 15

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
22 Apr 2010 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

tried the ad and 5,6 option in 13 to 15

cool, what size kite?

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
22 Apr 2010 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

9m i am 70kg wet

waxnwind
8 posts
28 May 2010 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Have been using the 10 m argo for the last three months after reading heaps about it here and talking extensively with Mr Float about your last season over there on it. I teach on and sell all sorts of lei kites and test everything they will let me. Got to say, I have been really impressed with the grunt, depower, stability and drift of kite in the surf as well as being a fantastic one kite quiver. My 275 pound customer thinks his 11 is a great all rounder as well with less turning speed than his kima but more grunt and better drift without needing to huck it on the wave face than his RRD obsession. It relaunches well for new bees and has been a great strapless kite for me as that is 99 percent of the my water time. I have primarily used it on the 21 m line set and the turning speed is adequate to milk plenty of power for my 5'10 inch old school fish surfboard rentals in Kauai and letting it sit more when powered up in 26mph gusts with an old strapless UG 6'4" surfboard and just sheeting in and out. Using the more forward attach from default. Have slapped the kite around a little bit and still solid. Some pictures of it on the Tangles blog on,
Happyinsurf.com
Monkeyair.com
The wife took them so not any wave stuff but shots of kite. By the way, Kauai has some great port and starboard tack wave sailing for those of us who don't live in AU.. You lot are lucky bastards.
Would give this kite a high rating on bang for the buck, all round performance and for us lard asses, great grunt.
Good Winds
Traig

vince15
1 posts
23 Jun 2010 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys, pretty keen to demo one of these argo's. Just wondering a few things....are there any demo kites in NZ namely Tauranga. Also have another question, I have been riding a 14m 09 vegas as my only kite and find it a little under powered till about 18 knots, I struggle on anything less than this. Am on a TT 140 board, freeriding just for the moment and weigh in at around 105kgs and am just getting into a few jumps so beg- intermediate level I guess. Any ideas on size, was airing towards the 13m but reading about the 11m....seems a little small unless the low down power is as good as what Im reading as dont wont another underpowered kite? I am after the 1 kite quiver so any answers would be just grand. Cheers fellas and fellases.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
24 Jun 2010 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome kite the 9m argo, had it on the short lines wind at 18- 24 gusty, great airtime in the waves, not as fast turning , but alot more stable in gusty winds , settings were on default. Forget the big guys ,with there advertising and colour changes each year ,ride something that works hard for its cash

radman4
678 posts
24 Jun 2010 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

vince15 said...

Hey Guys, pretty keen to demo one of these argo's. Just wondering a few things....are there any demo kites in NZ namely Tauranga. Also have another question, I have been riding a 14m 09 vegas as my only kite and find it a little under powered till about 18 knots, I struggle on anything less than this. Am on a TT 140 board, freeriding just for the moment and weigh in at around 105kgs and am just getting into a few jumps so beg- intermediate level I guess. Any ideas on size, was airing towards the 13m but reading about the 11m....seems a little small unless the low down power is as good as what Im reading as dont wont another underpowered kite? I am after the 1 kite quiver so any answers would be just grand. Cheers fellas and fellases.

Hi Vince ,im the NZ distributor for griffin,the 13.5m argo is a grunt machine,in light winds i used to use a 16m griffin and 14m griffin combo but now i use the 13.5 argo,im 97 kg and i can get going on a 135 board in 10knots in 12+ the kite comes to life and i have held it in around 25 knots ,i have another rider in the area who is 108 and he rides with me all the time on a 140 board in the same winds prior to getting his argo he had a 17 gk sonic,he loves the argo, kiteloops it every turn, you can get my details off my website at xtremekitesports.co.nz
i have a guy in tauranga with a 13.5 argo,stafford.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 Griffin Argo – wave riding made easy" started by warwickl