Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2011 North Rebel - anyone used it yet? Verdict?

Created by omg > 9 months ago, 9 Aug 2010
omg
282 posts
9 Aug 2010 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

So I think I will leave Bandits as I need a really solid high wind kite for 35-40 knots & wave days. The new Rebel got my interest, so have you tried the new one yet? All feedback appreciated!

Thanks!

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
9 Aug 2010 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Haven't tried it but all the dealers I have spoken to have been blown away. The 2010 is an awesome kite and the 2011 is supposed to have some great improvements.

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
19 Aug 2010 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Here is the word from the North book-

rebel2010 vs rebel2011
k e n Wi n n e r
Ken Winner, North Designer rebel vs rebel

Think about two slightly different surfboards; both the same size, same shape,
same rails, same fin configuration, yet subtly different in rocker or outline or fin
angle. From just looking at them not one person in 100 could tell which is going
to ride better. Yet after riding both you might easily determine that one is clearly
superior.

Now think about the 2010 Rebel and the 2011 Rebel. To even the trained eye
they look almost exactly the same. Not one in 100 people could tell by looking at
them what the differences are. Yet still, when we handed a 2011 Rebel 6 proto to
one of our long-time Rebel customers for a test run, he thought it was a big step
better than the older model. That's where kite design has arrived lately. You just
can't tell much by looking.

What 's the Same and Why:
5 Lines
The Rebel remains a 5-line kite, of course, all for all the usual reasons:
1.) Short depower stroke and crisp feel. In sizes 9 meters and over. Anyone who
rides wave or has short arms or just likes a responsive kite can appreciate the
importance of achieving full depower with a minimal movement of the control bar.

2.) Super stability. If it weren't so easy to keep in the air you'd be forgiven for
thinking it's made of rock.

3.) Easy relaunch in light winds. Even riders who like four-line kites often add a fifth
line to make relaunch possible in super-light wind.

4.) Safety. When you need to get total, complete and perfect depower in half a
second, nothing else works as well as a 5th line.

Size-specific Tuning:
1.) Sizes 10 to 14 have been tuned for short bar stroke and a maximally crisp feel.

2.) Sizes 5 to 8, which naturally tend to be a bit too crisp and responsive, have
been tuned for a crispness and responsiveness that's just right. Not soft and slow;
not uncomfortably harsh and fast.

3.) 9-meter kites can go either way, a bit slow and soft or a bit fast and harsh. We
spent some time tuning this one for what we think is just the right feel in a wave
and all-around kite.

Tolerant of Sub-spec Inflation
The 2010 and 2011 Rebels work best when inflated to 6psi, but they still work
fine at 5 or 4psi. By contrast, many kites on the market these days need 8 or 10
psi to fly correctly.

Arc, Segmentation, Strut Configuration
The overall geometry remains the same because the Rebel's unique combination
of arc, segmentation and strut configuration gives good stability, power, depower
and flutter resistance. Multiple segments through the center of the canopy give
good profile fidelity, while one straight segment on each side gives a flat profile
where it can do the most good in resisting unwanted luffing and flutter. Five struts
give needed structure while allowing for good performance at low inflation pressures.

What 's Different and Why
Power vs. Depower
The 2010 Rebel has a lot of power. Probably no kite has more. For 2011 we refined canopy profiles and angle of attack to boost depower without hurting power.

Bar Pressure & Turn Initiation
A kite with low bar pressure often seems to require very little pressure for turn
initiation. A kite with high bar pressure is the opposite. The 2011 Rebel has slightly
lower bar pressure than the 2010, and slightly easier turn initiation. This is something we didn't want to overdo because then the kite would fail to deliver good bar feedback.
We achieved this improvement through a subtle change in overall kite geometry.
Turning Speed
Sizes 10 and up in the 2011 Rebel turn a bit easier, faster and more smoothly than
the 2010. Sizes 9 and down have slightly easier turn initiation and are smoother
while turning, but overall turning speed is about the same.

Speed
Though the Rebel won the 2010 Kiteboard Race World Championship, it really is
just a wave and all-around kite and pretty much none of the testing for the 2011
model involved race boards. That said, the 2011 Rebel is a bit faster than the
2010. This improvement comes from refinements in profile depth, angle of attack
and tip shape.

Bottom Line
Not one in 100 kiteboarders could spot the differences in geometry and shape
between the 2010 Rebel and the 2011, but not one in 100 could fail to miss the
improvements in feel.

hammer
WA, 95 posts
20 Aug 2010 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

what about the new fabric .. isn't exclusive to North? oh and the colours look great (as opposed to dog ** for the last couple of years).

Still got the 2010 floating / tear away center strut?

Still 5 lines hmm.. maybe a Fuse instead

Look forward to having a crack as havent used one since my 2007 Rebel which is still being abused by my brother ..

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
20 Aug 2010 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

New North/Ion gear has just arrived to Australia

we will put some photos and review up soon, just need some decents winds now..

ja8000
4 posts
21 Aug 2010 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hi - have the rebel 11 in 7,10,14. Have just spent 3 days on the 7, 2 days on the 10. Weigh 85 kg, riding 132 x 41 twin tip. Came from rebel 08....

Quick summary -

2011s are very grunty, don't know compared with 2010, big step up from the 08. Really surprised how much power these generate once you get some kite speed then park. Sailed the 10 today - wind dropped to a point where most others came in, still going strong. Think maybe there was no need for the 14.....

Loads of lift, big jumping kite, way more than 08.

Upwind - same or better than 08, which was pretty good itself.

Relaunch - definite improvement, haven't had any issues.

Stability - really good, several times have overflown kite, big stack, pop up ready to grab 5th etc, and .hey, the thing recovers and is just sitting there. Really impressed....

Don't likes:

One pump - no interest in all that extra plumbing plus extra time waiting for kite to deflate. Knock on effect (which sounds super lame) is that the kite is a pain to roll and pack quickly because you have to work round battens and now the extra hoses.

Overall - stoked with these kites. Really fast, really stable, really powerful and really lifty. Bar pressure solid but not too much (how I like it) - turning speed good, not spectacular. Power through turn, good but not exceptional.

All round, really good kites, very happy I got them....

Loads of wind forecast for the next week....will report any new thoughts.

winter
VIC, 155 posts
4 Sep 2010 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

ja 8000
any more to add
how has the wind range been on kites?
are you still happy?

Samyaskenazi
1 posts
6 Sep 2010 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

I got 2010 , 14 rebel and im so desapointed, IT keeps falling to one side, always to the right, i talked to my dealer and send it to him Back ( I piad for the deliver), after once month, he returns IT to me sayng that he tuned the Lines and Now its ok, but its just the same, when I put it At 12 it just keeps falling to the right always i tryed a brand new diferente Lines and its just the same does any one have a similar problem? Can any one advice me how to get North to respond? I enter they web page and IT says I have to deal With my dealer but he Wont give me any warranty

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
9 Sep 2010 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

I thought this was worth a look. it's pretty.

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
9 Sep 2010 12:27AM
Thumbs Up

Samyaskenazi said...

I got 2010 , 14 rebel and im so desapointed, IT keeps falling to one side, always to the right, i talked to my dealer and send it to him Back ( I piad for the deliver), after once month, he returns IT to me sayng that he tuned the Lines and Now its ok, but its just the same, when I put it At 12 it just keeps falling to the right always i tryed a brand new diferente Lines and its just the same does any one have a similar problem? Can any one advice me how to get North to respond? I enter they web page and IT says I have to deal With my dealer but he Wont give me any warranty

your arms are a different length.

no sorry no help really (never am)

lovey
NSW, 177 posts
11 Sep 2010 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

i'm a die hard rebel fan since 08, but the new colours look like three different versions of flying vomit to me.

matt camo
QLD, 95 posts
12 Sep 2010 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

i like the black 1 in the rebels i reckon it looks so stylish

rhinoman
QLD, 362 posts
17 Sep 2010 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...

Kites are in Aus so reviews should flow shortly. The 2011 range is available for demo in Brissy this Sunday.

is thst part of australia ....or austria ha ha ha

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
17 Sep 2010 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

"yeh thanks Scoob for letting us ALL demo your new rebel yesterday in that big westerly ,,,I swear I only smashed it once into the piss.....".cough cough shh hear comes Scoob.[}:)]

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
17 Sep 2010 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

I only put a couple small nicks in the leading edge when I self launched. That new material stopped it getting too bad

rhinoman
QLD, 362 posts
17 Sep 2010 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

ha ha but i have mine and am breakin her in with me scoob right now [}:)][}:)]

rhinoman
QLD, 362 posts
17 Sep 2010 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

lovey said...

i'm a die hard rebel fan since 08, but the new colours look like three different versions of flying vomit to me.

just got mine out of the bag and the colour is ok it looks alot bettter than the picture /blue/ now someone bring some wind and i will report ,,,, the bag is bright and you will need some sunnies .same size bag but zip goes all the way down the side now .new valves look solid to and one way valve in the pump up valve with a lock system....wind wind now blow

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
18 Sep 2010 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like you won't have wind until I get my park on Friday. That rebel will be getting pretty sticky by then

rhinoman
QLD, 362 posts
20 Sep 2010 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

terryzarmzof said...

Looks like you won't have wind until I get my park on Friday. That rebel will be getting pretty sticky by then

i heard it wont be in till monday ha ha

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
20 Sep 2010 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

Shipment just arrived of North Rebels and Vegas, and of course no wind to be seen for days

I hate out of season winds!

Bring it on, I have a sh1tload of stuff to demo and review. At this rate I'll be riding for a week non stop to review all the mounting pile of gear.

DM

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
20 Sep 2010 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

wednesday or thursday mate! its naish

rhinoman said...

terryzarmzof said...

rhinoman
QLD, 362 posts
20 Sep 2010 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

terryzarmzof said...

wednesday or thursday mate! its naish
rhinoman said...

terryzarmzof said...

not this week hahaha

EB
SA, 492 posts
22 Sep 2010 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

omg said...

So I think I will leave Bandits as I need a really solid high wind kite for 35-40 knots & wave days. The new Rebel got my interest, so have you tried the new one yet? All feedback appreciated!

Thanks!

Tryed a 9m today and loved it . Wasn't 35-40 but a gentle 15,and a clean head high swell. Can't wait to try it in stronger wind. Today was great for testing the bottom end and there was plenty of that.all round.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
23 Sep 2010 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

... got my 14m a couple of days ago and tried it in really light wind as was dissapointed but next day we had a good 15 to 20 knots and love it. The first thing I noticed was the kite loops much quicker than before and is solid all the way when pushed hard, it feels really fast in the air, fast and silent. Another thing I noticed was I had to use alot more front foot pressure than I'm used to, infact the 14 felt like a 12m to me, I think proberly due to the fact it flys well up front in the window and yet still pulls nicely. Its an upwind machine and has really good bar feed back so you know where it is at any given moment (which is good because you don't want to look at it too much as they are ugly looking).

Loving it !

cheers,

Robbie.

EB
SA, 492 posts
23 Sep 2010 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Puetz said...

... got my 14m a couple of days ago and tried it in really light wind as was dissapointed but next day we had a good 15 to 20 knots and love it. The first thing I noticed was the kite loops much quicker than before and is solid all the way when pushed hard, it feels really fast in the air, fast and silent. Another thing I noticed was I had to use alot more front foot pressure than I'm used to, infact the 14 felt like a 12m to me, I think proberly due to the fact it flys well up front in the window and yet still pulls nicely. Its an upwind machine and has really good bar feed back so you know where it is at any given moment (which is good because you don't want to look at it too much as they are ugly looking).

Loving it !

cheers,

Robbie.

Was really suprised with the ability of the 9m to truck up wind even when it was barely powered up.
Kym from GSS has given me the 6m to try as well.Looking good for a trip north this weekend with over 20knots forecast for the whole of the long weekend
Got to love the way a small kite loops.

WF
SA, 116 posts
23 Sep 2010 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

EB,
Picked up my new 9m on the weekend, hanging out to to give it a run.
Hopefully the seabreeze returns soon and the temperature warms up.
Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

AB

Rocket
WA, 33 posts
24 Sep 2010 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Just got one of the blue ones. Colors look a bit like a pair of board shorts I had in 1982. But as long as it goes well I dont give a ****e. Havent had a chance to try it yet.

EB
SA, 492 posts
24 Sep 2010 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

WF said...

EB,
Picked up my new 9m on the weekend, hanging out to to give it a run.
Hopefully the seabreeze returns soon and the temperature warms up.
Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

AB

Another great session with the 9m today mostly 15-20.
What kite did the rebel replace?
It's been, all cheesy under the 9m and really looking forward to using the 6m on the weekend.

WF
SA, 116 posts
25 Sep 2010 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

EB,
Been riding Rebels since the 2007 models. They are now well and truly flogged out and needed replacing. 20 degrees here today and a south easter that always looks god but is crap. Hopefully a real southwester is here soon.

AB

EB
SA, 492 posts
26 Sep 2010 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear that AB,as today was a classic summer seabreeze you got to love WA.Got to use the 9m again yesterday and the 6m today in 20 to 25 with head high swell.Couldn't Pick a thing wrong with it. Went upwind well when light and the kite loops are fast and precise.Be good to hear how the update to the quiver goes AB.

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
27 Sep 2010 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

I never thought I would say it but after a nice ride on a 10 m 2011 rebel yesterday.....

I actually want one..

Better than a wainman 9m, better than the Core GTS.

If you want the ultimate freeride machine the rebel is the shizzle.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 North Rebel - anyone used it yet? Verdict?" started by omg